I tried the tones and they drove me nuts because they wanted you to start the downswing AFTER the second tone, and the drummer in me wanted to go on the beat. However, the songs at the suggested tempos were a lot more helpful for me and I'd practice with them. They offer a few as free downloads on the Tour Tempo site if you want to try them out. https://www.tourtempo.com/tour-tempo-tracks-free-download/

I want to go on beat too. I have to use the voice version where it says swing-set-through. It fits my swing pattern because I set the club at the top of my backswing, so I can literally 'set' at that point and transition.

I bought the original book and DVD years ago. But I never ripped the tracks and I think it got tossed out when we were throwing out CDs years ago. I downloaded the app...but realized the old records are still ingrained in my head.

I'm also going slower this time around. I always had a lightning quick tempo and was convinced 21/7 was my 'natural' swing. A couple of years ago I got paired with an old guy. On the 9th tee he told me I had a good swing, but my backswing was way too fast. He told me to pretend like I was fly fishing on the backswing. I piped the drive right down the middle, played great the rest of the round and that swing though had me play the best golf of my life.

Just swinging at the house it feels like 24/8 is my natural tempo. But will try 27/9 at the range tomorrow as well.

Whenever my swing isn't working, it's usually related to tempo and my natural tendency to rush the backswing.

Last edited:
Tempo is something I want to work on, and know I struggle with. I might have to check this out if my watch ends up not being able to work for me.

The Garmin watch has a nice swing tempo app. Use it on the range and have worked hard to slow down back swing so I am not all arms which i was for years. slower tempo has helped in using more lower body I believe and therefore greater distance and accuracy

Just found this thread after having installed the app and listened to it a bit. (Listening to Tracks -> Tempo -> Part II right now, in fact, at 30/10. [I've a very slow back-swing.])

Read about it in The Four Foundations of Golf and thought the concept sounded fascinating.

Just found this thread after having installed the app and listened to it a bit. (Listening to Tracks -> Tempo -> Part II right now, in fact, at 30/10. [I've a very slow back-swing.])

Read about it in The Four Foundations of Golf and thought the concept sounded fascinating.
I really like checking my tempo. I have a launch monitor that measures it for me, and that’s the primary metric I look at

I really like checking my tempo. I have a launch monitor that measures it for me, and that’s the primary metric I look at
This app seeks to train tempo (it's really rhythm or cadence), rather than measure it.

I would probably eventually have bought it, anyway, for full my full swing training, but, in practicing my putting earlier today I found I was back up to over 2:1. When you get too far over 2:1 it stops registering putts. "Hmmm... How am I going to fix this?" Then I remembered this app, which I'd just read about last night, and figured I'd give it a go.

This app seeks to train tempo (it's really rhythm or cadence), rather than measure it.

I would probably eventually have bought it, anyway, for full my full swing training, but, in practicing my putting earlier today I found I was back up to over 2:1. When you get too far over 2:1 it stops registering putts. "Hmmm... How am I going to fix this?" Then I remembered this app, which I'd just read about last night, and figured I'd give it a go.
So it may sound like semantics, but I’m using the info of measuring the tempo to train it just as if I was listening. Just a different type of feedback to accomplish the same goal. I follow his work. I know it well

I'm loving this app :love:

I mentioned it elsewhere, but, yesterday, looking at putters at my LGS, my club guy told me "Forget a new putter. You need to fix your swing. Right now you should be working on nothing but your tempo." (Yeah, I know, it's really rhythm.)

So last night I threw a batch of balls on the carpeted basement floor and just hit 'em toward the cats' litter boxes with my Odyssey SL DW. Then, today, I thought "Why not give myself something of a target?" So I stuck a piece of wide painter's tape to the side of the litter box.

Then I hit balls at that from six, twelve, and eighteen feet, mainly concentrating on hitting the rhythm.

Interestingly: I had more balls hit that bit of painter's tape than I would have expected--even from eighteen feet. My speed control is better than I would have expected, too. I'm bouncing them off that litter box pretty much the same from each of the three distances. (No doubt the give of that box, coupled with the litter, is dampening the bounce a bit. That's offset by the fact that carpeting is quite a bit faster than my WellPutt putting mat.)

Here's something amusing:

Putting_Rhythm-20230624-01.JPG

Those three balls just to the left of the target each hit the painter's tape and stacked up behind one another. How? There's an anomaly in the carpet surface just about to the right of where they are such that, if the ball is headed right toward the tape, it will curve to the right and then right back in again, neat as you please
lol.gif

ETA: Just took that target off the box. In my training session just now I found myself hitting the sound cues late because I was falling back into the habit of slowing everything down in an attempt to control the putter to hit the target. Not the point of these exercises.

Last edited:
Back