Tour Tempo Total Game App Review

jeremyheslop

Reaction score
Handicap
Tour Tempo Total Game App Review

Intro
When you think Tempo on the PGA Tour who do you think of? Freddy, the Big Easy, Oosthuizen, Rory? Many people, myself included, wonder what makes a good tempo and rhythm of a golf swing. And more importantly how do we achieve good tempo in our own swings. From the author of the book Tour Tempo comes a mobile app called Tour Tempo Total Game which sets out to help us find that rhythm and tempo in our golf swing.

From the Company
Based on the international best selling golf book, Tour Tempo. The book outlines and explains the discovery of a specific mathematical ratio regarding the elapsed time of the backswing and the elapsed time of the downswing of the Tour Pros. The Tour Tempo System is simple and easy to learn. All you do is react to three scientifically spaced musical notes. These musical notes alert you to start your takeaway, start your downswing, and then the third note lines you up with impact. It’s just that easy - you literally download the App, turn it on, grab a club and start swinging to the Tempo of the Tour Pros.

Key Features
  • Long Game Tones
  • Short Game Tones
  • Tracks/Focus Songs
  • Instructional Videos
  • Available on iPhone/iPad, Android and Windows Phone

Initial Thoughts
When I first heard about the Tour Tempo Total Game app I was excited at the prospect of getting a better rhythm to my swing. Having only played the game for a little over 3 years I've struggle with consistency of ball striking. Lack of a good tempo, mostly attributed to rushing the backswing, has led to the typical skull, chunk or mishit. That is where the Total Game app is supposed to come in. By helping a golfer to have the same tempo on each swing it leads to consistency and a squarer club face which should ultimately lead to straighter and potentially longer shots. Let's see if it really delivers what it says.

Testing/Usage
I purchased ($24.99), downloaded, went to the range and fired up the app on my iPhone. Before I get into the testing though let me go over how easy this app is to use. Once you turn the app on it allows you to change from long to short tones, tones to voice, then to tracks all from the same great looking interface. Fast and easy with no fuss involved.

tour_tempo_start-20120907-012810-2.png
tour_tempo_tap_to_start_long_game-20120907-012648-2.png

I get to the range hit a couple warm up shots and decide it is time to try out the app. As you can see it takes you to the screen to start listening to long game tones. Each set of tones represents a tempo to try out going from fastest 18/6 to slowest 27/9. These tones are supposed to help out with any full swing. I start with a couple iron shots each with a different tempo. My PGA pro has been trying to slow my swing down and pause at the top so I start with the slowest tempo available 27/9. I click on the 27/9 button and I hear three tones that repeat over and over. 1 pause 2, 3 Based on the instructional video I hear the first tone and start my swing, I hear the second and I start my downswing (pausing at the top) and I try and time impact with the 3rd. It took a few swings to get the correct tempo at impact. I felt like I was making good contact with the ball and I was able to get in a groove. I think the real test will be how it translates to the course but first I want to talk about the short game tones.

tour_tempo_short_game-20120907-012917-2.png
tour_tempo_instruction_videos-20120907-012951-2.png

After full shots I decided to give the short game tones a try. Starting with the slowest 20/10 tempo which is still pretty fast I worked my way through the tones. Boy was I amazed at how consistently I was hitting chip shots. The short game tones are more of a 1, 2, 3. Back, down, impact. It really allowed me to accelerate through the ball. I have since tried the short game tones with chipping, pitching and even putting all with positive results. I used the iPing putting app while listening to the tones and was surprised at how consistent my overall stroke was. Simply amazing how a music track with drums and a couple of tones can effect something like a putting stroke.

Practicing is fun but the real question is How does the Total Game app help out on the course? The first round I was able to get out after I started using the Total Game app I only listened to the tones before I started the round. Surprisingly I was in a good rhythm the whole day. My driver consistency increased with more FIR than normal and overall was easiest to repeat the long game tones in my head when off the tee. Approach shots with irons and wedges were did not translate as well when I tried to use the same long game tones. Maybe I was more anxious on those shots or maybe I should be practicing with a quicker long game tone. As such I didn't see much improvement in the GIR department. Putting was where I think I saw my biggest change next to the driver. I felt like I was getting putts to the hole and the right speed more often than not. I plan on using the Total Game tones before more of my rounds and during practice sessions and I want to report back my findings on how things go.

Overall
My overall impressions are positive. I think most amateur golfers could benefit from a good tempo. Just don't confuse a good tempo with a slow swing. The documentation describes a tour tempo as 3:1 backswing to downswing ratio. Ernie Els has a 24/8 swing and so does Kyle Stanley. We would all agree Els is smoother but he is not slower. Tiger in 2009 was a 27/9 but is closer to a 21/7 now. Fowler's swing is a 18/6 which makes sense with how quick his stroke is. I would recommend those who are interested in this app to check out the Tour Tempo Total Game website at http://www.tourtempo.com/golf-training-aids/golf-swing-tempo/tour-tempo-apps/ (links to purchase there also) and read the articles from GOLF Magazine and GOLF World. Very informative articles on tempo myths and truths.

Another app from the same company is the Tour Tempo Frame Counter (another iOS app for $1.99). I used it to find out what my tempo was on a few swings. I was 24/8 on what I would consider a good 5 iron and 25/10 on a pull hook driver. I think it reflects I had better tempo on my 5i than I did on my driver shot which indeed was the case. Forum member Snypa13 was 24/7 on a driver swing I recorded of his which hit the fairway. I would consider him to have good tempo and I think I play better when I play with him due to his good tempo.

The only negative on the Tour Tempo Total Game app would be the price. It does have really good practice and instructional videos included which helps but the app is just playing a couple mp3 files over and over with a slick interface. I paid $29.99 for golf GPS apps on the iPhone so while this is not crazy expensive at $24.99 I feel they could have included the Frame Counter app as an added bonus for getting the Total Game version. There is a Tour Tempo Golf app for $19.99 from the same company that excludes the Short Game and a couple other features. I feel the short game tones are worth the $5 after using them especially for putting. So while on the higher end of app purchases I feel it is a good deal for what you get.

For less than the price of a lesson from your local PGA pro you can be hitting shots more consistently and maybe even gain distance. While not everyone's tempo will fit within the 4 long game tones for full swings I think everyone could benefit from a good short game tempo especially in putting. Paired with the iPing app I was making 5 10 footers in a row easily. So go check it out and let me know what you think.

Jeremy H.

Nice job on the review. The tempo app would be a great tool at the range.

Very nice review. Tempo is one of the most important parts of the golf swing and a lot of golfers could really benefit from better tempo. Are there other tempo tools out there to compare this to? Just curious how it compares to competitors or if there is something similar out there for less money.

Very nice review. Tempo is one of the most important parts of the golf swing and a lot of golfers could really benefit from better tempo. Are there other tempo tools out there to compare this to? Just curious how it compares to competitors or if there is something similar out there for less money.

There are a couple others on the iPhone apps store. I looked over them and while cheaper didn't seem to have all features, as many tone speeds, or practice drills. Of course at less then $2 for the alternatives maybe it would suffice for someone looking for a tempo app on the cheap.

Tapatalk on iPhone4S

Forgot to mention that the iPad app looks, feels and works just as good as the iPhone one.

Tapatalk on iPhone4S

I've thought about downloading this earlier in the year. I'll have to check it out at the tour stop this weekend

I've thought about downloading this earlier in the year. I'll have to check it out at the tour stop this weekend

I'll have my iPhone and iPad with me so you can check it out on either.

That was really well done, Jeremy. I don't know why, but I struggle with that price for an app. I should probably get over that though, because I've heard a lot of great feedback on the product and I do have issues with tempo regularly.

Very nice review Jeremy, thanks for taking the time to do that. I am also very big on tempo and focus on a pause at the top with the driver but not so much in the rest of my game. I also equate tempo with slowing down the swing but obviously all of this is based on feel and what I think I am doing.

May have to purchase the iPad app, seems like it would be a bit easier to navigate with on the range.

Very nice review Jeremy, thanks for taking the time to do that. I am also very big on tempo and focus on a pause at the top with the driver but not so much in the rest of my game. I also equate tempo with slowing down the swing but obviously all of this is based on feel and what I think I am doing.

May have to purchase the iPad app, seems like it would be a bit easier to navigate with on the range.

Having it on your iPhone or iPod is a little easier. You can throw that in your back pocket and off you go. Bringing my iPad would freak me out if something happened to it.

Having it on your iPhone or iPod is a little easier. You can throw that in your back pocket and off you go. Bringing my iPad would freak me out if something happened to it.

I have a decent case on the iPad, can just zip it up in the side compartment of the bag. It's not a piece of china. :alien:

I have a decent case on the iPad, can just zip it up in the side compartment of the bag. It's not a piece of china. :alien:

You're not as clumsy as I am lol

That is what I do. I turn it on in the pocket in the yard and hit chips and pitches to the short game tones.

I have brought out the iPad on the course once or twice and I was more worried about it than my game lol. It's just as easy for me to use my iPhone as a GPS. The range I'm not worried about having the iPad out.

I've been toying with the idea of this app for a while. My main issue is limited practice time so I think I'll bite the bullet and get the app to try and get more quality practice time.

I purchased this app after reading a review on it on another site (it received their highest rating).

After purchasing it (but before using it for the first time) I read other reviews, and a lot of people were less than impressed.

I regretted my purchase, thinking how much could this really help?

I went to the range this am with my iPhone in my pocket.

I had my best range session ever.
I hit 85 balls (about the last 30 were short game 2:1 chip shots).

Until I went to my driver, I had no big mis hits at all. I was hitting the ball a lot harder/further than normal (I pulled a handful of balls and hit a couple right) and well within a very reasonable distance of the target.

I am very surprised that TEMPO makes that much of a difference.
I'm also very surprised that you are supposed to take your back swing that much faster than I had previously been doing.

I think the biggest thing it does is make you stop thinking about anything, and just swing.

I hit 2 small slices with my driver, and pulled a handful of balls. I then realized what I was doing: I actually stopped paying attention to the TT app, and was being very mechanical trying to think of my backswing while taking the backswing. As soon as I stopped that
I started hitting some terrific drives.

I made the purchase thinking it was too pricey ($25).
After utilizing it on the range today, I walked away thinking 'wow, what a great purchase."

But, aside from carrying my iPhone in my pocket while I'm playing a round, I think it will take some time to get used to the proper tempo without the app running.

Back