Tournament Club of Iowa

That looks incredible Hawk. The first par 3 looks like a very fun hole with the false front, the trees encroaching from the right, and the drop off to the left.

Looks amazing. Actually reminds me a lot of a course here I play quite often. Generous fairways, but penalizing if you miss.

Very nice pictures and review Hawk. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

Nice pictures Hawk. I dont think Ive seen that much green since the last time I hung out with some questionable friends doing questionable activities. Course looks really nice.

What a great course, even for Texas standards! :bashful: I could play this course everyday! It's had everything from elevated tees, to long par 5's to short par 4's to target golf holes to beautiful trees and scenery. Such a great track. Hawk....you did well! Here are a few I was able to snap:

17th hole, par 5, if I remember about 570-580 yard hole from the Palmer tees. Water on the left all the way up to the green. Elevated tee box. This was taken from the parking lot Sunday morning.
DSC_0002-1.jpg

Here is the 18th hole from the putting green up top. The green is just off to the right of the picture. Water all along the left. This was a par 4, about 440 yards from the Palmers and it was just about playing into the wind (maybe a bit more left to right) both days. Your second shot to the green was over the water and move directly into the wind. Great finishing hole!
DSC_0007-1.jpg

This was the 2nd hole, par 4 about 400 yards a bit uphill.
DSC_0009-1.jpg

Here was the 4th hole, par 5 from elevated tees.
DSC_0010-1.jpg

This was the 11th green and what a great looking place for a green. We made comments about how if they had put some azaleas over there on the left side how great that would look. But it was still a good looking hole.
DSC_0012-1.jpg

I miss TCI. Truly one of the nicest courses I have ever played.

Looks like a high dollar place. What was the entry fee into this tourney?

Our price was $57 each day. A great deal IMO.

57 with tax..

By far the best deal I have ever seen.

Hole 12 here is no joke man. While our group as out there hacking around the head pro stopped to talk to Hawk just to thank us for coming to be sure everything was going well for us. Oh yeah, it was his DAY OFF and he did that, great gesture. Anyway as we were talking I mentioned my lack of love for the difficulty of hole 12 since that's where he met up with us. He said that hole ranks in Arnold Palmer's top 18 of all the holes he's ever designed. Now that is saying something! What a golf hole man. 2 days and 2 bogeys and I felt like I won. HAHA!

It's all good walking away from that sort of hole feeling like a winner. WTG Jake

We payed $90 for 36 the same day. It was awesome for the price.

57 with tax..

By far the best deal I have ever seen.

Yes, an amazing deal, I joked they could charge double that and probably get it!

Yes, an amazing deal, I joked they could charge double that and probably get it!

It was pretty dead for a Sunday though. Nice course for something like this outing, but I think the locals think it's a little on the pricey side. Not sure how many people were there besides us, but the parking lot was kind of empty. It was busier on Saturday, when the college games were going on.

This track was flat out gorgeous. Its what JB and I talked about throughout the round on Saturday and the same with JRod and I on Sunday. I'd play it again in a heartbeat, just awesome.

This track was flat out gorgeous. Its what JB and I talked about throughout the round on Saturday and the same with JRod and I on Sunday. I'd play it again in a heartbeat, just awesome.

I loved the scenery. It was beautiful.

Nice recap Hawk, glad you all had such a good time. I would expect nothing but great service in Iowa. The course looks spectacular and very challenging if you're not in the right spot off the tee. I don't recall ever seeing greens that big before, they look huge!

Nice recap Hawk, glad you all had such a good time. I would expect nothing but great service in Iowa. The course looks spectacular and very challenging if you're not in the right spot off the tee. I don't recall ever seeing greens that big before, they look huge!

They had to be huge, Tad! Missing them in the wrong place is penal.

They were enormous, some as much as 50-60 yards deep. I know that I had 2 putts over 80 feet with one being over 100 this weekend.

They were enormous, some as much as 50-60 yards deep. I know that I had 2 putts over 80 feet with one being over 100 this weekend.
So would you consider this to be a resort style course? Most TPC are some what difficult but this looked pretty forgiving from the pics.

So would you consider this to be a resort style course? Most TPC are some what difficult but this looked pretty forgiving from the pics.

I would say it is a resort style course. Some people will probably come in here and disagree with me, but it is tough. There are some pretty generous landing areas, but forced carries and tough greens made it a very difficult track for sure.

Pics are deceiving! You couldn't afford to miss on this course.

I know you're not asking me, but I wouldn't consider this a resort course myself. Most of the resort courses I've played are typically pretty playable and quite forgiving in certain areas to be able to cater to all levels of golfers. TCI doesn't seem to care, they just threw a tough ass track right in the heart of corn country and good luck! That's not saying it was unplayable though, it was tough in spots but you could get around it especially if you had already played it once. Made a big difference as a lot of the shots are semi blind and you're forced to hit to targets that you're not always comfortable with.

This was designed to be a place where professional tournaments would be held. Highest level type. Unfortunately, there is no place to put galleries, and walking the course would be brutal for the fans. Only holes 17 and 18 could really accommodate galleries.

I know you're not asking me, but I wouldn't consider this a resort course myself. Most of the resort courses I've played are typically pretty playable and quite forgiving in certain areas to be able to cater to all levels of golfers. TCI doesn't seem to care, they just threw a tough ass track right in the heart of corn country and good luck! That's not saying it was unplayable though, it was tough in spots but you could get around it especially if you had already played it once. Made a big difference as a lot of the shots are semi blind and you're forced to hit to targets that you're not always comfortable with.

I agree with this, definitely not a resort style course IMO.

This was a much more difficult track than True Blue and would challenge Caladonia in terms of difficulty.

The slope rating of the Palmer tees (blue for sake of comparison) at 142 is no joke.

This course was host to a Champions Tour event a few years back. Around 5-6 years ago. This course is definitely no slouch. Even though the fairways are huge, with how protected some of the greens are, any given hole you can easily give up a stroke or two.

Back