Oleschool

Reaction score
What are the oldest rules of golf or the oldest adages? Thanks

I believe the original two rules were:

When in doubt, do the most penalizing or difficult thing possible.

And...

Never allow anyone to have fun on the golf course.

tradition gives meaning and the old rules are more challenging and more fulfilling
I prefer to play them

1) play the course as you find it
2) play the ball where it lies
Also don’t ground a club in the bunker
And out of bound re-tee with a 2 stroke penalty

I never touch my ball or the course after teeing up until I take my ball out of the cup

I may be wrong and you can do whatever you like buts more rewarding for me

rule of golf don’t touch the anointed ones (that’s the usga and the pro’s)

So no offense to them but the usga (it’s innovations) Seem to me to exist to violate these two basic rules of golf? Who knows
For example: Preferred tees. Is thst play the course as you find it?
Marking and raising cleaning and aligning your ball. Or taking relief. Is that play the ball where it lies, maybe it’s just me and my old fashioned preferences, I don’t know

now I don’t include equipment, the modern equipment is much improved.

there is no right or wrong here only opinion and preferences

enjoy the game that’s the main thing

Tradition would have us playing in jackets and ties. LOL
I think golf may have too many rules, but the game is basically the same as it was years ago - use a club to hit the ball into a hole in as few strokes as possible!

I prefer to play feather balls and hickory clubs in windswept coastal sheep pastures while dressed in plus fours, spats and a dress shirt, tie and wool coat, while uttering my curses in Gaelic. Mark my ball??? Dost thou even stymie, old chap?

I did not include equipment or clothing

I think the basic rules stood the test of time , it’s the interpretations and amendments and those made by tournament officials to promote self interest ( ie ; and by extension advertising , sponsorship , ratings etc) that bastardisation of the rules does not in my view stay true to the games intent .

we have instances of late , the girls tournament , cancelled due to course conditions , when we apply as you said , play the course as you find it , and the feeble excuse given as its note worthy of the standard of championship? Are we inherently looking for lower scores because by extension that creates interest ? What about those who committed years of work and effort ?

the palmetto tournament where great swathes of sand was not bunkers ? And you could test the sand ? Wasn’t someone crucified over testing sand ? Allegedly...

preferred lies and cleaning ball , why not use a tee as well ? Didn’t one shot recently cause the ball flight to be affected so that it missed its intended line. Yet another tournament can clean balls ?

the verse in the back if the rules book as you stated says it all and that the overriding mantra

I really don't care what others do I play the game the way I want to these days. I am more concerned about under 4hr rounds and etiquette on the course.

Thou shalt not wear shorts.

1623767211388.png

I really don't care what others do I play the game the way I want to these days. I am more concerned about under 4hr rounds and etiquette on the course.

thats cool, time is not to important. playing nine shower and a 2 hr lunch buffet then nine more sounds good to me

thats cool, time is not too important. playing nine slower and a 2 hr lunch buffet then nine more sounds good to me
Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:
Back