Super devastation video, first hand here.

It all looks pretty standard for a flash flood and then buildings and a warehouse start coming toward you. Pretty scary stuff.

I found this article quite interesting. Essentially, it states that the US Navy detected low levels of radiation while it was docked approximately 175 miles from the nuclear plant. The article makes clear that the Naval Commander stated that there is "no appreciable health risk." But then it goes on to say that "the additional radiation exposure over the past 12 hours had been less than one month's exposure to naturally occurring background radiation."

Maybe I just don't understand radiation exposure amounts, but because he used the 12 hours to 1 month ratio (nearly), I can only think that 24 hours of exposure would be nearly 2 months' exposure to naturally occurring background radiation. Thus, taking it even further... if the Navy were to spend the entire month there, the men could thus be exposed to approximately 60 months' worth of naturally occurring background radiation. Again, I may not understand the dynamics of the situation at all, but I do know that I would be very worried if someone was saying that you were being exposed to 60 times more exposure than what occurs naturally.

Scary situtation over there.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/15/japan.us.navy.radiation/index.html#

Luckily all my friends so far are accounted for in Hitachi-Taga. They had quite the earthquake there but no Tsunami thank goodness. I spent a month and a half teaching English there a few years ago, and one of my best friends from college stayed and is now an English teacher at a College. He and his wife are expecting a baby soon and luckily she was at the hospital for a checkup when the quake hit, took him about 20 hours to finally make it back to her there though.

They have managed to get some cell service is a few areas and make some calls and facebook updates. From what they say, I don't even want to see a picture of Sendai :dont-know:

It all looks pretty standard for a flash flood and then buildings and a warehouse start coming toward you. Pretty scary stuff.

That video is insane. Wow.

DID anyone read the article about the guy that was floating on his house 9 miles out at sea?? He was out there for two days before he was rescued. The article is on CNN...http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/world/2011/03/14/nhk.vo.quake.damage.friday.nhk&hpt=P1&iref=NS1

yeah. That is amazing. Tom Hanks has got nothing on that guy.

I have family in Taiwan. I spoke to my cousins last night, luckily their friends who are from Japan are primarily in the Tokyo region and are all accounted for.

The more of these videos I see the more real this becomes. Seeing entire cities demolished by the wall of water is hard to stomach.

Many of the video's are just unbelievalble. The situation there just keep's getting worse by the day.

this has to be the worst disaster any of us have ever seen. They cant put a death count on it but form watching the news: entire towns have been wiped out and not even heard from. Thousands of bodies are washing up on shore. Third explosion out of the nuclear plant this morning - this could complicate things - if it completely meltsdown- the region will become inhabitable for years due to excessive radiation. Just utterly amazing to think what their lives must be like there :(

this has to be the worst disaster any of us have ever seen. They cant put a death count on it but form watching the news: entire towns have been wiped out and not even heard from. Thousands of bodies are washing up on shore. Third explosion out of the nuclear plant this morning - this could complicate things - if it completely meltsdown- the region will become inhabitable for years due to excessive radiation. Just utterly amazing to think what their lives must be like there :(

That would be terrible... like Chernoblye, but in a much more confined and inhabited area. Would be very devastating. Let's hope those fears are not realized.

That would be terrible... like Chernoblye, but in a much more confined and inhabited area. Would be very devastating. Let's hope those fears are not realized.

People are blowing things way out of proportion. Chernobyl was a design nightmare with zero containment and that thing completely blew up. When it was all said and done, a total of 10 people died from that nuclear meltdown. This is not Chernobyl, far from it.

I pray for all those in Japan, but people mainly outside of Japan are blowing things way out of line. Crying we should all shut down our nuclear reactors.

People are blowing things way out of proportion. Chernobyl was a design nightmare with zero containment and that thing completely blew up. When it was all said and done, a total of 10 people died from that nuclear meltdown. This is not Chernobyl, far from it.

I pray for all those in Japan, but people mainly outside of Japan are blowing things way out of line. Crying we should all shut down our nuclear reactors.

I saw a lady on CNN yesterday saying the same thing. You could tell the host wanted to say "you're using this tragedy in Japan to enforce your tree-hugging idea's right now? Serisously lady?"

The worst part about this tragedy is it's going to be a long time to fully understand the magnitude of it.

I saw a lady on CNN yesterday saying the same thing. You could tell the host wanted to say "you're using this tragedy in Japan to enforce your tree-hugging idea's right now? Serisously lady?"

The worst part about this tragedy is it's going to be a long time to fully understand the magnitude of it.

Our fine Mayor of Chicago and former Chief of Staff always said, never let a tragedy go to waste.

Bottom line is what happen was a freak of nature accident that when it was all said and done, the stars were aligned just right. A monumental 9.0 earthquake to hit and then a tsunami of great proportions to come in right behind for round two. Good luck! I don't think Illinois has to worry about the tsunami unless Lake Michigan dump over on to us. Then at that point I wouldn't worry about the nuclear meltdown so much as the amount of mercury that we just got doused with from the lake. lol

People are blowing things way out of proportion. .

I don't share your sentiment where there has been an earthquake and tsunami with a death toll of approximately 3,400 and now fears of a meltdown. The Japanese Prime Minister called it the disaster the country's worst crisis since World War II. Although you may have not been stating this directly to me, I certainly don't think I am blowing anything way out of proportion.

I don't share your sentiment where there has been an earthquake and tsunami with a death toll of approximately 3,400 and now fears of a meltdown. The Japanese Prime Minister called it the disaster the country's worst crisis since World War II. Although you may have not been stating this directly to me, I certainly don't think I am blowing anything way out of proportion.

Don't think that was what he was referring to. A thread like this, there is no ill will.
I believe he was referring to a recent backlash on Nuclear Reactors. I saw a lady on CNN last night who was basically a step up from a tree huggin hippie. She was right on the edge of flat out saying Japan got what they deserved for having so many Nuclear Reactor plants. SHE definitly needed to get her head put back on straight.

Don't think that was what he was referring to. A thread like this, there is no ill will.
I believe he was referring to a recent backlash on Nuclear Reactors. I saw a lady on CNN last night who was basically a step up from a tree huggin hippie. She was right on the edge of flat out saying Japan got what they deserved for having so many Nuclear Reactor plants. SHE definitly needed to get her head put back on straight.

Maybe it was a poor choice of words then. The CNN thing is not blowing things out of proportion, it is using a tragedy as your own personal soapbox.

Our fine Mayor of Chicago and former Chief of Staff always said, never let a tragedy go to waste.

Bottom line is what happen was a freak of nature accident that when it was all said and done, the stars were aligned just right. A monumental 9.0 earthquake to hit and then a tsunami of great proportions to come in right behind for round two. Good luck! I don't think Illinois has to worry about the tsunami unless Lake Michigan dump over on to us. Then at that point I wouldn't worry about the nuclear meltdown so much as the amount of mercury that we just got doused with from the lake. lol

Maybe it was a poor choice of words then. The CNN thing is not blowing things out of proportion, it is using a tragedy as your own personal soapbox.

I agree that if you don't learn from your mistakes, you're doomed to repeat them.
it just seems a little too soon that's all. It's the age we live in I guess. and I'll be the first to admit that it's just my personaly preference that people should still be in a "mourning" stage right now.
I guess the lady on CNN just rubbed me the wrong way thats all. Everyone is free to deal with a tragedy as best as they see fit.

You must be watching a completely different event than the one I'm watching unfold. This story is a LONG way from being over with. This is a momentous tragic event that 99.9% of the living world population has never seen the likes of.

Not directed at you, but it won't be Chernobyl. But blowing things out of proportion in general, as it pertains to the nuclear power plant. We have people in the US calling for all reactors to be shut down. You say the words "vent to the atmosphere" and people think they're going to grow a second head. People in San Fran are running out snatching up all the potassium iodide they can in a mass hysteria.

I agree that if you don't learn from your mistakes, you're doomed to repeat them.
it just seems a little too soon that's all. It's the age we live in I guess. and I'll be the first to admit that it's just my personaly preference that people should still be in a "mourning" stage right now.
I guess the lady on CNN just rubbed me the wrong way thats all. Everyone is free to deal with a tragedy as best as they see fit.

He wasn't talking about learning from your mistakes, he was referring to not letting a tragedy go by that you don't use to your political advantage. Katrina, economic collapse, ect.

Last edited:

All you have to worry about is the nuclear power plant in Byron exploding.

You must be watching a completely different event than the one I'm watching unfold. This story is a LONG way from being over with. This is a momentous tragic event that 99.9% of the living world population has never seen the likes of.

Same here. When you have 3 explosions and a core that is breached its close enough for me. The people of Japan are in a kind of hell right now.

Ok, let me make one thing very clear. I am not talking about the quake or tsunami, those are tragic. I'm talking about the mass hysteria as it pertains to the nuclear plant.

Ok, let me make one thing very clear. I am not talking about the quake or tsunami, those are tragic. I'm talking about the mass hysteria as it pertains to the nuclear plant.

See reply #69

Back