Trailer paint question

Scorp

Lacking competent adult supervision
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My dad has a trailer... like 20 feet long, dual axle, wood deck. He uses it for hauling cars and stuff. The deck boards are being replaced and he's going to sandblast it and paint it. Once it's painted new 2x6x16 boards will be installed. The boards are pressure treated but what should the boards be further treated with to ensure they last a long time?

The trailer is not parked under cover

After sandblast it needs primer. What kind of primer should be used?

After primer, what type of paint should be used?

It will be applied with a cheap electric sprayer.

I was thinking automotive paint and primer would be best. What say you all? And... where can I get the paint? I'm not getting some Imron polyurethane color changing chameleon paint.

The color is most likely going to black.

I would do the pressure treated with Thompson's Water Seal and for the metal, any good black high build automotive primer. After that paint choices can depend upon what you want to spend. I've had good luck with Rust-Oleum on trailers and you can get a spray can for touch-up down the road.

Something that came to mind as I posted the question... tractor paint. That might work.

But what kind of primer? Self-etching? Or something else? I have no idea what's out there.

I'm thinking it should maybe be single stage... no real mixing of paint thinner and stuff... I have no idea.

Zinc enriched paint ,brush it on spraying only leaves a thin coat , brushing has greater coating thickness and as it drags across surfaces therefore more resistive to pin holes in paint . Pay the price and get something that lasts even industrial grade is better than domestic quality

I’ve heard good things about this, but the initial application is a little time- consuming:

you’ll want to be sure what you apply to the PT does not mak it slippery when wet.

I appreciate the responses. I swung by Tractor Supply today and picked up a gallon of gray Rustoleum primer that's supposed to be self-etching and a gallon of Rustoleum gloss black. And some mineral spirits to thin out if need be.

I'm in agreement about whatever I put on the wood not make it slippery when wet... I think maybe some skateboard tape stapled down in strategic areas should help.

l learned something today. I was thinking self/adhesive grip tape for steps but your optionlooks to be cheaper

I would recommend, you return what you bought and get yourself POR15.

Did a spray application on my trailer, and it's been untouchable for the last 3 years.

Always best to do it right the first time.

20200302_090215.jpg

the skateboard tape isn't too much and it comes in rolls. I'm not sure how it would last for outside on the wooden deck but... I'll give it a whirl.

I appreciate the suggestion for POR15. Thanks!

Back