Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Heading to Maui next month, and am pondering taking my clubs and fitting in a round or two. Beginning to look at travel bags. Would prefer a hard side solution, under $200, with room for shoes. Any suggestions? Do I need to increase my budget? Don’t want junk, I’d like to buy once- cry once.

If you want a hard case, the best brand out there is SKB.
They're going to run closer to $250+ but keep in mind part of that steep price is due to exorbitant shipping and storage costs (the manufacturer absorbs) from dealing with huge hard case boxes...

One reason why we don't make them:).

I have 2 bags, a Sun Mountain Club Glider and an Ogio soft, both are very good but the SM is by far the best. Especially when you have to drag it long distances, it is effortless.

I travelled with a hard case once, never again. If you rent a vehicle at destination and there are 4 of you, you have to get a van or a huge SUV because most vehicles don’t fit the hard case in sideways. With a soft case, you can at least remove your golf bag, etc and fold up the case and makes fitting everything into vehicle easier.

i should add I have travelled a lot internationally with clubs including Far East and never had an issue. Just remove driver heads, FW and carry in your carry on plus lots of towels & a brace. In my case I used a shortened, broken hockey stick at times.

Never a hard side case

100% in the camp of hell no to hard case. There’s no give, no negotiation on movement.

Soft case can be folded up, stored easier, and they’re pretty well padded. Throw a spare towel or something for the sides if you’re super paranoid, and a stiff arm. I pop the heads off my woods that I can because of paranoia, but the stiff arm has yet to even have a dent in it.

As others have said, do not go hard case - nothing but trouble with rental cars.
of you truly want to buy once go with the club glove collegiate. I’m going on nearly 20 years with mine and it’s been on hundreds of flights - nothing has ever been broken.

This is what I have used so far as it is a sorta hybrid of both. Really like it and have no complaints. Cost wise you’d still be able to get a North Pole and be in budget.

I saved a ton shopping on Amazon Warehouse for my travel bag. Would recommend looking what is on there.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like hard case is out.

Caddy Daddy Constrictor with a stiff arm has treated me well for years.

Being able to fold it up in the rental car and storing it at home 99.5% of the time is convenient.

If like @wubears71 you travel all of the time then a hard case is the way to go.

CaddyDaddy Constrictor with North Pole stiff arm has served me very well in my travels so far.

I always opt for the soft case and it’s extremely hard to beat the ease of transport with the Sun Mountain Glider. I’ve got an Ogio soft case that’s built like a tank too. It’s super roomy but you absolutely need a backbone.

Recently got the Subtle Patriot Covert Travel cover and love it - has multiple wheels on the bottom so you can push/pull it along - plenty of room for shoes and clothing on the sides and has a hard carbon fiber "hat hutch" to keep your hats nice.

One flight in and so far, so good - also using the THP code you get a 15% off discount which is great.

I recommend this every time one of these comes up but check out Caddy Daddy. Top notch quality and they back their product. I have a Constrictor 2 and it's fantastic

Recently got the Subtle Patriot Covert Travel cover and love it - has multiple wheels on the bottom so you can push/pull it along - plenty of room for shoes and clothing on the sides and has a hard carbon fiber "hat hutch" to keep your hats nice.

One flight in and so far, so good - also using the THP code you get a 15% off discount which is great.
I have that one and have been happy with it. The hat hutch is a great feature. The only thing I don't like is the zippers on mine tend to bind up around the middle of the bag if I have my Ogio RTC bag in it.

If I was in the market for one now, I don't think I could pass up one from Caddy Daddy.

Just picked up a First Class travel bag from Caddy Daddy for my trip to Vegas. Construction is top notch and @Rod Dunlap is great to deal with, I could not recommend them enough!

As others have said, do not go hard case - nothing but trouble with rental cars.
of you truly want to buy once go with the club glove collegiate. I’m going on nearly 20 years with mine and it’s been on hundreds of flights - nothing has ever been broken.

This is the only answer.

/thread

I'm also in the soft sided bag group. I've had an Ogio for over 10 years now and it's never let me down. I know the Caddy Daddy bags are well appreciated around these parts, so I'd definitely recommend you have a look at them.

If I can offer you one piece of advice, it would be to buy the best bag you can afford. Everyone has witnessed baggage handlers loading/unloading a plane, and I'm sure some of them take it as a personal challenge when they see equipment bags (think the opening of Ace Ventura). Even if you think you might only use it once or twice, spending an extra 50 bucks will likely mean the bag will last you for life. You'll be more likely to take your clubs on future trips if you know you've got good protection for them.

The fact @Rod Dunlap came in here and gave an honest opinion gains so much more kudos from me. Have been a big fan for a while now, but fanboy me up even more. With that said constrictor 2 case has been amazing and is great for the price.

Back