Traveling and Security

My most fun adventure was watching them have to test milk bottles my wife had pumped and carried in the baby bag. That was an awkward discussion.
That became commonplace discussion for us. When my son was born we took him everywhere. He had been on 74 flights by his first birthday. I always found it interesting that some TSA folk would test EVERY pouch, and bottle, and food container, and some would pick one or two at random for a quick search. Sure makes you wonder why they can't all be on the same page...

They sometimes swab my workout and protein powder cannisters that I pack in my carry on. I tell them it's just supplements.

Global Entry is $100 for 5 years and includes pre-check.

That's what I have. GE would be worth it for that price, so getting Precheck as well, is gravy.

Global Entry is $100 for 5 years and includes pre-check.

I didn't know clear cost that much. I don't think I'd use it if I didn't get it for free.

I have the global entry now and it has worked well. It expires next year and i will be getting it again for sure.

The one story I have about the airport........

It was right before July 4th in 2001 and I was traveling from Portland, OR to Boston. I was waiting in line at the ticket counter because there were no kiosk back then when I hear an argument from passengers and agents. The agent had told them that they are not allowed to bring fireworks on the plane whether it was carry on or checked. The passengers said that fireworks were legal in both states so they should be allowed to fly with them. They spent a lot of money on them so they wanted to take with them. This went on close to 10 minutes while I was in line. I always wondered what happened to them after 9/11 and if they understood how boneheaded they were.

I guess I have one more. A guy I worked with back in the late 90's was an avid skydiver. He would always take his parachute pack as a carry on. He allows had multiple conversations of how he was not going to hijack the plane and jump out mid flight. :ROFLMAO:

I never have much of an issue with TSA as I respect and understand what it is in place for. Want to search, no issue on my end.

I will say though it is near hysterical going through security with a GCQuad in your carry on.
hahahaha I can only imagine what that process looks like from a unbiased bystander. I also find it absolutely hysterical when people who dont travel much have some sort of issue. They get huffy, mad, irritated, blah blah blah. I jst always makes me laugh because they are literally all there to help make YOU safer. Its not their fault you dont know what the hell is expected or going on.

It's a private company that has deals with airports. They use biometrics to identify you and then usher you straight to the xray check point. On busy days it's great. On slow days it's no faster than just showing your ID to the TSA agent.

I can only presume they're selling your data, but who isn't nowadays?
I have been a clear member since it started and love it. ORLANDO would be a real pain without it.
I was in the 1st 100 or so to join.
Traveling all over South America is a joy, you just never know what you will see. Mostly people trying to bring strange food on the plane.

Two funny stories from our last flight, DR to Charlotte.

Michael Waltrip was on the flight. Walked up last minute before 1st class boarded, wearing a hat that read, "Don't Judge my Ball's Flight". As everyone boarded and went passed him in 1st class, he pretended to be sound asleep, head back, mouth agape... he's a character.

TSA agent in Charlotte must have been on loan from the federal women's penitentiary. She was giving out orders like she as mad at the world. A guy asked something about her orders being unusually. She pointed at her shoulder patch and said, "Can you read that? It says 9-11, that's why!"

Entirely rude and unnecessary, but whatever... it's not a job I'd want.
Fly into Miami, the rudest bunch of SOB's on the planet and the women are the worst.

I have the global entry now and it has worked well. It expires next year and i will be getting it again for sure.
It's a super easy renewal. Just fill out the form online and they'll send you an updated card (you know, that card that serves no purpose.)

It's a super easy renewal. Just fill out the form online and they'll send you an updated card (you know, that card that serves no purpose.)

That is awesome information thank you! I thought i had to go through the whole thing all over again!

I got flagged for the bag of ball markers I took to The Grandaddy to give to my teammates and Zoo Crew.

I never have much of an issue with TSA as I respect and understand what it is in place for. Want to search, no issue on my end.

I will say though it is near hysterical going through security with a GCQuad in your carry on.
Lol.
TSA What’s this sir?
JB Oh, you mean the quadroscopic high speed camera system?
TSA
JB
TSA
JBA Ok, where do I go for the additional screening.

The dreaded buzzer went off Monday after going through the magnetometer which I knew was BS because I had zero metal on me. Flagged for secondary screening which luckily was just swabbing my iPhone instead of the usual “hello how ya doin”. Whatever. Better than going through the millimeter wave scanner.

I am currently traveling and I bring all my removable club heads in headcovers in my carryon. I haven’t been stopped though. Funny story from a Lawyer friend. Illinois recently passed recreational Marijuana. The airport but a garbage bin to dispose of anything before traveling because it was not going to be legal to take on the plane. Someone took the bin and they arrested them. Charges were dropped because the items were legalized in state and was considered a misdemeanor at best for municipal code for garbage picking

I understand TSA is just doing their jobs but most of them are the most unpleasant people to deal with. Flew out of Orlando Sanford this year on a return flight and had a great experience with TSA. We had to have a carryon searched because my daughter did not take her tablet out and the guy could not have been more nice about it.
I recommend checking out TSA's instagram account where they showcase some of the things they confiscate:

I understand TSA is just doing their jobs but most of them are the most unpleasant people to deal with. Flew out of Orlando Sanford this year on a return flight and had a great experience with TSA. We had to have a carryon searched because my daughter did not take her tablet out and the guy could not have been more nice about it.
I recommend checking out TSA's instagram account where they showcase some of the things they confiscate:
That's a pretty fun follow.

Clear + TSA PreCheck, security in under 5 minutes most days...although, I did get frisked by the same TSA agent every time I flew out of Fort Lauderdale for a few years. Florida.

I definitely have my favorite airports though...

Usually have zero issues going through TSA. I've been flagged for bringing an unopened bag of coffee I got as a gift, which they just had to check to make sure. Foil like bag, I understood. They swab and check, tease the entire area with that fresh coffee scent, and off I go again.

I saw a sign that said you if you have a ham packed, it needs to be unpacked and scanned or it will be flagged. Naturally, I had to ask about that one. Apparently they look like a bomb going through X-Ray. Apparently they get enough where they had to tell people to unpack them to just speed the process up:LOL:

Never really had any issues with security checks here in the UK, but there can be differences in how sensitive they set the scanners up
I travelled to Spain one winter, so was wearing jeans and a polo shirt for travelling, then wore the same pair of jeans for travelling back a couple weeks later and got pulled in the Spanish airport because I set an alarm off on the scanner when I walked through it - no belt, shoes or watch on as you have to remove those first

Clear + TSA PreCheck, security in under 5 minutes most days...although, I did get frisked by the same TSA agent every time I flew out of Fort Lauderdale for a few years. Florida.

I definitely have my favorite airports though...

Somebody have a thing for you.....? :LOL:

Whoa, I could imagine the fun you have trying to explain a launch monitor to TSA folks.

Another big difference...
Clear is $179 per year
TSA Precheck is $85 for 5 years.

Clear is $179 per year but you can add 3 family members for $50 each. For us the $50 is worth it because my wife expenses the $179 for work, our home airport has it, and we fly with our youngest daughter 8-10 times a year.

Back