JW Smoove

Waffles, always waffles
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
🧇
Ok, once upon a time we bought a new one, it was crap from the local big box store. It did not last.

Later, 5 years or so, bought a used commercial model used it off and on, but over the last 2 years about 10 miles a week maybe more like 15, as my daughter also uses it.

It’s died. And i think it’ll be a lot to fix. Sad, as i just installed a new running deck about 6 months ago.

Anyway looking at them again, most used are crap and sellers are asking more than the condition merits (such is life).

Sole, very highly rated by many sources has the F80 for $1600 or one model down for about $1300 F65 i think it’s called.

I can find 3 used F80s locally from 800-1200 let’s say more like 600-1000 if they are negotiable. All are at least 3 years old.

I’d lose the warranty, i assume. And no idea how well used/abused.

So, what say you all?

New or used, Sole or?

I use a Landice at home.

I mean, the Sole's look good. I always pick the treadmill with a wide and long track and an orthopedic belt, is heavy, and doesn't fold - I like stability, easy on knees, and room to recover from a slight stumble. I haven't had one for 10 yrs - the ex got the TRUE treadmill, and I picked up the Landice this summer when they said they were having a closeout. :cool:

Buy something that is easy to use and has those other attributes above - in that way, it won't turn into a clothes hanger.

Good luck.

Last edited:
We've been in the market for a treadmill as well, but we're a little limited on ceiling height in the basement (where we'd like to keep it).

Been reading good things about the Echelon Stride, but I'm still gonna wait to see more reviews.

We have been very happy with our TRUE home treadmill. It wasn't cheap, but it was cheaper than the so-called gold standard at the time. That was like 25 years ago. Its's been a storage shelf for about ten years, but it's gonna get spun up again this fall and winter.

One more thing - if you're running rather than walking, cushioning varies widely among brands, according to my son who uses his for running.

Been reading good things about the Echelon Stride, but I'm still gonna wait to see more reviews.

Echelon hardware is pretty good, their customer service is ok, their online content is garbage! They are obviously tying to muscle in on Peloton’s market, but have a long long way to go.

Echelon hardware is pretty good, their customer service is ok, their online content is garbage! They are obviously tying to muscle in on Peloton’s market, but have a long long way to go.

That was one of the gripes. I could've gotten some money off on a treadmill if I agreed to a one year membership. I honestly just want the treadmill. I don't need any online content other than shows to watch to zone out to.

We had a Nordic Track that worked well for us. It wasn't one of the interactive models. It's 10 years old now and our oldest daughter says it is going strong.

That was one of the gripes. I could've gotten some money off on a treadmill if I agreed to a one year membership. I honestly just want the treadmill. I don't need any online content other than shows to watch to zone out to.
Just be wary if you do go ahead and get the treadmill and activate the free membership, some people in a Facebook group I am a member of have had a terrible time trying to cancel the free membership at the end of the term. Not everybody, but some.

I have an old TRUE 500 that's at least 15 years old and still going great guns. I put about 5 miles a day on it and the only thing I have to do is lube the belt every once in a while.

These kinds of threads crack me up. Instead of Sole or Landice or anything else, how about you substitute "sidewalk"! Just step outside your door, walk down your drive, and walk around a couple of blocks! Or, as many blocks as you like!

These kinds of threads crack me up. Instead of Sole or Landice or anything else, how about you substitute "sidewalk"! Just step outside your door, walk down your drive, and walk around a couple of blocks! Or, as many blocks as you like!
I used to do just that. But Im old and have an artificial hip, bad knees,etc. So the added cushion of a well made treadmill keeps me working out and delays the inevitable. Which also allows me to keep golfing.

to your point, replies like yours … makes me think some people just think they know more than rest of us. 😉

:(

I do that, too. But the weather is not always pleasant. Try running in 90-100F and 60% humidity when you're over 60 yr old. You don't always feel like going out in that weather or in the winter. The Landice is great on the knees and I can simulate a hike with a 15 deg climb. Texas is relatively flat.

The treadmill is there for you 24/7 at 77F and no humidity.

to your point, replies like yours … makes me think some people just think they know more than rest of us. 😉

Yes.

I thought one of the unwritten rules around here is to not be a "Richard." :ROFLMAO:

I bought a Horizon Fitness treadmill not long ago. Not as fancy as some of the others, but a great motor and longer belt than most in the same price range. I love it so far, has been really solid and works well for me.

My wife and I walk a lot outside when the weather allows, over 20 miles on a normal week and on vacation about 35 miles each week. We have a Nordic Track treadmill primarily for the 4 months of winter. We’ll sell it or give it to one of our kids when we winter in Florida starting in two years. FYI, we live in Minneapolis and have a MN retirement home 130 miles north where it’s even colder, lol.

5650DAB9-94AA-45E3-96AD-73C1DBC6969A.jpeg

Going used is always a risk. Just never know what upkeep has been performed on it. At one point my father in law gave us his and lone behold about a year later it started having issues.
We have been looking at the Peloton Tread for some time now. The good thing is I’m not a huge treadmill runner, unfortunately my wife prefers it.

Or a stair master that’s part of my routine as well.

For those of us that work at home, you also can walk on treadmill in-between conference calls or even on one. You can't always go for a walk outside to do the same thing due to weather, wind noise, how quickly you have to be be back, etc.

I have a True treadmill that is more than 15 years old. And yes, there have been periods of time when it goes unused but there have been many miles put on it too. I have never had any problems with it and it has served me well. I find that now that I have passed the mid-point of my 70s I take great comfort in knowing that if the weather outside is either too hot/cold or humid I can walk indoors. Also from a safety factor I can stop and sit if the need arises, and I don;t have to keep an eye out for distracted drivers. A treadmill can be a worthwhile investment especially for a senior.

I'm actually a bit bummed, I really liked my Vision Fitness machine that was from 2001. I bought it used for less than the van I rented to get it home. I had it since 2010. For the first 3 years I had it, we did about 10 miles a week, then a looooong break. Over the last 18 months we put about 20-25 miles a week on it. All I ever did to it was replace the running belt and the motor belt (both about 10 months ago). It was a very heavy unit. But the upper control board is shot and the wiring is as well. So it's toast. I am going with a folding unit (thought I don't want to), I just don't feel like arguing with my wife and daughter on this - life's too short. The Sole F80 is very well written in nearly all publications most importantly Consumer Reports.

It's on sale (so they claim) so what's not to like. I would have preferred used, but the one what was local has been in storage for a year - that's no bueno for me.

:(

I do that, too. But the weather is not always pleasant. Try running in 90-100F and 60% humidity when you're over 60 yr old. You don't always feel like going out in that weather or in the winter. The Landice is great on the knees and I can simulate a hike with a 15 deg climb. Texas is relatively flat.

The treadmill is there for you 24/7 at 77F and no humidity.

Yes, I see the knuckleheads out there pounding their knee and hip joints into powder running on asphalt and risking heat stroke in high temps. My question is why? Will taking a break for a day cause your death? I kind of doubt that! What I see when I see that is some sort of OCD! It had taken over their life, and they can't resist.

My wife and I walk a lot outside when the weather allows, over 20 miles on a normal week and on vacation about 35 miles each week. We have a Nordic Track treadmill primarily for the 4 months of winter. We’ll sell it or give it to one of our kids when we winter in Florida starting in two years. FYI, we live in Minneapolis and have a MN retirement home 130 miles north where it’s even colder, lol.

View attachment 9026962

I notice that both Cleveland, OH and Pittsburgh, PA are in the top 10. I'm located almost exactly between those 2 cities. About 65 miles in either direction. And our cold maight be worse than yours, because it is more damp.

I used to call on an upscale food and wine store in Akron back in the day when I was still working. The main buyer revealed her family's plans for the holiday. Her parents lived in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area, she lived near Cleveland , and her Sister lived just west of Toledo. So that's where they decided to meet. Her parents thought it would be great to get out of the intense Minnesota cold.

Well, they came down and spent a week near Lake Erie and froze their arses off! The cold up there is dry! The cold down here is wet! And it is much worse! It's a bone chilling cold!

Yes, I see the knuckleheads out there pounding their knee and hip joints into powder running on asphalt and risking heat stroke in high temps. My question is why? Will taking a break for a day cause your death? I kind of doubt that! What I see when I see that is some sort of OCD! It had taken over their life, and they can't resist.

I notice that both Cleveland, OH and Pittsburgh, PA are in the top 10. I'm located almost exactly between those 2 cities. About 65 miles in either direction. And our cold maight be worse than yours, because it is more damp.

I used to call on an upscale food and wine store in Akron back in the day when I was still working. The main buyer revealed her family's plans for the holiday. Her parents lived in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area, she lived near Cleveland , and her Sister lived just west of Toledo. So that's where they decided to meet. Her parents thought it would be great to get out of the intense Minnesota cold.

Well, they came down and spent a week near Lake Erie and froze their arses off! The cold up there is dry! The cold down here is wet! And it is much worse! It's a bone chilling cold!

Lol, I laugh when city dwellers from other states such as Ohio, Illinois, or Iowa say that it feels colder during the winter than Minneapolis because it’s more damp. I’ll just give you the facts on the average January humidity and let you decide for yourself. Hint, 19* is colder than 31* and the average winter humidity levels are all above 70% in the entire upper Midwest. Rochester MN is more damp during the winter than any city in Ohio and Rochester winters are warmer than Minneapolis but are(and feel) a lot colder than Cleveland.

D19189B9-463E-4A0C-B58C-EF6CABA55C75.jpegBA4BDD6B-AF76-4DA3-91A9-FA549B6FCC2E.jpeg

Back