Tru-Roll Putter Review

mcrobertsjmac32

Reaction score
Handicap
So before I do this review let me explain how I even got to this point. I have always in my life been a horrific putter. I have improved at every facet of my game the past 2 years, my least improved part of my game has been putting. About 4 months ago I adopted the forward press putting stroke and have been putting better without a doubt since then. I now have 33-38 putts a round instead of 42-50 (shocking I know).*

I decided recently I wanted to look into being fit for a putter. I went to my friends shop near my house and we went through the whole fitting process. During the process my club guy said I had such a forward lean my putter would have around 6 degrees of loft maybe more. He told me to wait on ordering a putter because buying a potentially 7 degree putting would be tragic if I decided not to keep that stroke.*

While I was putting around his store I found this old Callaway brass putter. I absolutely loved the feel but everything else about the putter was just so wrong for me so I put it back.

*I went home that night and researched brass putters because I loved the feel so much. This is when I came across Tru-Rolls brass putter line. I had never heard of Tru-roll and honestly thought it was a gimmick. I did more research and found limited info on the net, but what feedback I did find was very positive. I read because of the putters cylindrical shape regardless if u forward press, back press, or press regular there esentially is no "loft" on the putter so it doesn't matter what stroke u use. I also found the putter on sale on Rockbottom for $99 free shipping, I thought "I've made way riskier purchases for way more money" so I pulled the trigger.

The putter arrived in 2 days. Immediately I was impressed with the quality feel of the putter and all the aspects of the product. The head had a nice heavy solid feel to it, it came stock with a nice magnetic enclosure headcover, and a Iomic grip which was a plus. I did some carpet putting and immediately fell in love with the feel, but how would it perform on the green?

I finally got out with it today and spent 30+mins on the putting green. 1st thoughts it was very different to look at. *I loved the weight of the putter and the feel is fantastic. I putted very very well with in from close and from far. My buddy who is a 12 handicap was curious and also putted with it for awhile. His first statement was "what the hell is that stupid thing". Quickly after a few putts he stated he was shocked with the great feel.*

I then took it to the course. I played the hardest course in my area, with easily the most difficult greens I've been on. I was very very happy with the way I putted. My thoughts during my round were
-Speed on putts were great
-Feel is some of the best I've ever had in a putter
-putter grabs a little bit on the green sometimes while bringing the putter back. Not more than usual with other putters, but Tru-roll advertises that the shape of the putter eliminates this.

Overall I was really really impressed with the putter. My friend started putting with it during the round and said he was buying one after the round he liked it that much. It's not the honeymoon stage I swear, this putter is actually that good. Looks to be that hidden gem club like the Grenade driver has been for me. Very very pleased with it. For $99 if your struggling with your putter I suggest you try it. Any questions just ask. Here are some pics

I remember this putter from the infomercials. Weird, but it makes sense with your forward press. Glad it is working out so far

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I actually have spent time with this putter years ago when they first came out. A good friend was colleagues/college roommates with the owner of tru-roll. Definitely different to look at but put a great roll on the ball.

I actually have spent time with this putter years ago when they first came out. A good friend was colleagues/college roommates with the owner of tru-roll. Definitely different to look at but put a great roll on the ball.

You know a lot of ppl say it came out a long time ago, I don't see anything online about it being out that long and it won an award at the 2014 PGA show so I thought it was relatively new

You know a lot of ppl say it came out a long time ago, I don't see anything online about it being out that long and it won an award at the 2014 PGA show so I thought it was relatively new

This was about 4 years ago.

Speaking to the inventor a few years ago at the PGA Show, he invented the putter over a decade ago.
It puts a decent roll on the ball, and with enough time I think the design can be helpful for some (like any putters that prevent skidding).

It sounds nice and is very simple in design, which some golfers are intrigued with. The downside of the design is that head does not feature a cambered sole, and with the shape you are dealing with a lie angle that sat very flat during testing. Quite a few golfers struggled with how it sat and a proper fitting would fix that. The face also is a bit further in front of the shaft than other models so some golfers had trouble getting square early on.

Its an affordable option that is a great conversation piece, so that part is fun.

Speaking to the inventor a few years ago at the PGA Show, he invented the putter over a decade ago.
It puts a decent roll on the ball, and with enough time I think the design can be helpful for some (like any putters that prevent skidding).

It sounds nice and is very simple in design, which some golfers are intrigued with. The downside of the design is that head does not feature a cambered sole, and with the shape you are dealing with a lie angle that sat very flat during testing. Quite a few golfers struggled with how it sat and a proper fitting would fix that. The face also is a bit further in front of the shaft than other models so some golfers had trouble getting square early on.

Its an affordable option that is a great conversation piece, so that part is fun.

The plumbers neck version they have would def help with the face being ahead of the shaft, but def right about the non-cambered the first few times I had to change how I addressed the ball for it to sit right, after a few putts I had no issues but it was strange at first

Good for you, glad you found something to help that you like!! It seems like an interesting concept!!

Interesting. When I was a kid my dad had a similar putter but was called a "tear drop" putter with roll. Similar look but had the lie angle to sit normally and not feel awkward....

I wonder if one got the concept from the other? I know tear drops have been around for 20+yrs...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update on this putter. Played another round with I yesterday. My playing partner and I have started to notice a large hop on the ball that ruins the roll every so often. We each had an instance about 4 times where the ball like hopped 3 inches up in the air on contact and then the roll died about 5 feet later. We can't figure it out. I'm not sure how a putter of this shape could get underneath a ball and make a ball hop like that. Very strange. Overall we both putted well with it, but that hop is now in the back of my mind when I putt and that's not good. I need to figure out why it's happening and how to avoid it.

Its a stroke thing. It comes from almost digging and doing the opposite of topping a putt. Hitting down on the ball in a way that creates spin.

Its a stroke thing. It comes from almost digging and doing the opposite of topping a putt. Hitting down on the ball in a way that creates spin.

It's never occured with other putters for me? But ur theory would make sense given my playing partner and I both experienced the same issue and both have a significant forward press

It's never occured with other putters for me? But ur theory would make sense given my playing partner and I both experienced the same issue and both have a significant forward press

I got that putter for Christmas. Can't wait to get it on a real green, but on my mat it is amazing for me so far.

But, I have noticed if you hit the ball above the equator it will hop a bit. Not a problem for me, but I was trying to make it putt poorly and the only 2 ways I could were way way on the toe, and hitting the ball above the equator.

With my old putter I was lucky to get 1/10 on my mat from the 11 foot max distance, but with this one so far I'm averaging 6-7/10. When my cats don't interfere lol. I did come from a mallet putter, and had to move the ball about an inch forward in my stance as I was missing a tad right at first. Can't wait to putt on my greens in a few weeks.

I got that putter for Christmas. Can't wait to get it on a real green, but on my mat it is amazing for me so far.

But, I have noticed if you hit the ball above the equator it will hop a bit. Not a problem for me, but I was trying to make it putt poorly and the only 2 ways I could were way way on the toe, and hitting the ball above the equator.

With my old putter I was lucky to get 1/10 on my mat from the 11 foot max distance, but with this one so far I'm averaging 6-7/10. When my cats don't interfere lol. I did come from a mallet putter, and had to move the ball about an inch forward in my stance as I was missing a tad right at first. Can't wait to putt on my greens in a few weeks.

Let me know how u like it

Reminds me of the tear drop putter with the round face. Will be interesting to follow along and see how things go for you.

Originally distance control was great with this putter. Now I feel that I'm real struggling with distance control. I'm so confused right now with putters it's not even funny

You're coming down on the ball and effectively topping it as opposed to sweeping it. Using a forward press also doesn't help as you're knocking the ball into the green. This is exaggerated with the putter you're using as its a round face so you could end up using as much as -10 to -30 degrees of loft if you are not keeping the putter low on the stroke.
From what you've said I think you'd be better off having a putting lesson and getting the fundamentals right. Putting is such an important part of the game so it's worth having a lesson.

You're coming down on the ball and effectively topping it as opposed to sweeping it. Using a forward press also doesn't help as you're knocking the ball into the green. This is exaggerated with the putter you're using as its a round face so you could end up using as much as -10 to -30 degrees of loft if you are not keeping the putter low on the stroke.
From what you've said I think you'd be better off having a putting lesson and getting the fundamentals right. Putting is such an important part of the game so it's worth having a lesson.

Explain please?
If the putter is rounded, the forward press should have less impact to loft change than more by a forward press.

Explain please?
If the putter is rounded, the forward press should have less impact to loft change than more by a forward press.

If his hands are in front then it's likely he's generating that hop by coming down on the ball as opposed to coming through it. Coming down with a regular putter wouldn't change the loft vs sweeping through with the same loft. But with this putter coming down onto the ball will result in striking with the lower half of the cylinder and thus transferring the force more downwards than along the line of the putt. This is why the ball is hopping.

If his hands are in front then it's likely he's generating that hop by coming down on the ball as opposed to coming through it. Coming down with a regular putter wouldn't change the loft vs sweeping through with the same loft. But with this putter coming down onto the ball will result in striking with the lower half of the cylinder and thus transferring the force more downwards than along the line of the putt. This is why the ball is hopping.

But that is the motion, not due to the forward press. A forward press will reduce loft in a regular putter face due to the angles of the club head. Being round it should have less impact in playable loft. Just speaking of forward press, which is what I referenced originally.

It's funny I see this on here, as I just saw these in a golf shop for the first time the other day. Naturally I picked it up to putt with. The feel was great, but I noticed every putt I hit with it, had a "hop" coming off the putter face.

It's funny I see this on here, as I just saw these in a golf shop for the first time the other day. Naturally I picked it up to putt with. The feel was great, but I noticed every putt I hit with it, had a "hop" coming off the putter face.

Glad to know it's not just me

Glad to know it's not just me

At first I though it was just me putting a bad stroke on the ball, but didn't have that problem with any other putter. And I had no problems putting a good roll during my round yesterday with my Bettinardi. Definitely not a putter that will make it to my bag.

At first I though it was just me putting a bad stroke on the ball, but didn't have that problem with any other putter. And I had no problems putting a good roll during my round yesterday with my Bettinardi. Definitely not a putter that will make it to my bag.

Yea it's not an issue I've had be4

One would assume that the "hop" could be attributed to the smaller degree of error... for this putter to work you need to hit the equator of the ball on the equator of the putter face, making it a lot easier to "top". My guess is that you are either doing what JB discussed or you are hitting the lower hemisphere of the face on the upper hemisphere of the ball causing it to hop.

Back