True friends, how do ya know?

Ole Gray

Mayor of the Woodshed
Reaction score
Handicap
Average
We all have come across people in our lives who have come and gone. Some folks strike a cord in our hearts that will never be forgot and they become family. We all know family doesn't have to be blood relatives, because we have met people who stay in our hearts forever, who are not born in our family tree. What makes a true friend for you?

For me personally it's a feeling deep within my soul of those who make my inter circle. Those that do, will always be family, no matter what.

Someone who you have not seen for years but when you do meet up its like you saw them yesterday. I'm fortunate to have a couple of friends like that back in the UK.

True friends?

- The ones where conversations are a sponge, not a sieve. It is impossible to believe how many people are a sieve.
- The ones who reach out when the only thing they need is a friend, not a favour.

Get in a car with someone for 10 hours and tell me if you want to be anywhere near them afterwards. We're all unique birds. I doubt there is a huge percentage of people that could genuinely tolerate me for 10 hours in a car but I'm happy to know I've got a handful of them in my life.

Someone that's there through ups and downs and does more for someone than the receive or expect back. That person that no matter how long it's been since the last time you can pick up right where things were left off.

The ones that actually show up to help you move...

It's something I struggle with Bill, honestly. I feel like I let people take advantage of me quite a bit and have trouble saying no because it's in my nature to help people. I have gotten better over the past few months of identifying what is important to me and focusing on people that make my life better, and don't constantly disappoint me.

True friends I feel is based on basically 2 things....I can count on them if I ever need help and I can call them after not talking for a long time and just pick up like it's nothing. Just in my short time on THP I know I have a few true friends just from this site in my mind.

To me it's not always the time spent together but rather the connection between two people.

To me it's hard to define, but I know it when I experience it. It's not about the monetary meaning, but more figurative when I say "if I have a dollar, my true friends have fifty cents" I'll move heaven and earth if a true friend comes calling and know they would do the same for me.

The ones who correct your spelling without you knowing.

Whoops, hahaha.

The closest friends are those that will be honest about something which they know will hurt your feelings, but you need to hear it.

Also, a true friend reaches out to you as much as you reach out to them. If it's always you doing the calling, they're not as good a friend as you might think.

True friends are those that have a bond that is flexible yet won't break. They help to make one other better people by just being them. When your lost they show you the way. And when you've got it figured out they want you along for the ride.

Figuratively speaking ... True friends aren't the ones who bail you out of jail, but rather the ones sitting in the jail cell with you ...

I have learned who my true friends are in the past 48 hrs post ACL surgery. The ones who have stopped by, checked on me, called or texted really resonated with me. The guy who I thought was probably my best friend for the past 2-3 years has been amazing, bringing me my favorite drinks, magazines etc. I guess we all have life moments that give us clarity

I used to get hung up on a check list that I needed my friends to meet. I'd spend time pissed because they didn't do what I expexted. I found over time that I spent more time dwelling on what they weren't doing instead who they are as people. Everyone is wired different and I have learned to except that, embrace it.

What is the mark of a true friend? Who knows, you just know when it happens.

The best thing about a true friend is that no matter the time or distance that separates you, whenever you are with that person its like you just saw them yesterday. Conversation and relationship picks up right where you left it.

We all have come across people in our lives who have come and gone. Some folks strike a cord in our hearts that will never be forgot and they become family. We all know family doesn't have to be blood relatives, because we have met people who stay in our hearts forever, who are not born in our family tree. What makes a true friend for you?

For me personally it's a feeling deep within my soul of those who make my inter circle. Those that do, will always be family, no matter what.
Ole Gray, I think you nailed it. Those true friends are the ones who always seem to be there at the right time, say just the right phrase and you just can't get enough of time together.

A true friend for me is someone that doesn't judge on choices or actions, doesn't measure success or failures, doesn't care if you're rich or poor, they just lay back and let you be you unconditionally.

I have people in my life like that but sadly I am barely capable of those things, my true friends accept me for it.

I don't think it's anything I can put a finger on, to be honest. I've got a small group of friends that I've been close with since we were teenagers (and one since elementary school), we're all in our late 30's/early 40's now. I know that I can go months without speaking with any of them (due to schedules, families, etc) but when I do see them, it's like we just saw each other yesterday. They're the ones I know I can reach out to if I need help, and they're the ones I'll drop anything for if they need help.

One of them was my best man, and a few months before my wedding he told me he thought I was making a mistake and getting married too young. He was honest and open with me, and didn't say it with anger. I appreciated him looking out for me, and a few years ago he came up to me and brought up that conversation. He let me know how wrong he was, and how happy he was for me that getting married was one of the best things to happen to me. He had felt badly for nearly 12-13 years at that point about what he said to me, and wanted me to know how wrong he was and how happy he was for me and my life. That's someone who I'd run through a brick wall for.

True friends I feel is based on basically 2 things....I can count on them if I ever need help and I can call them after not talking for a long time and just pick up like it's nothing. Just in my short time on THP I know I have a few true friends just from this site in my mind.

To me it's not always the time spent together but rather the connection between two people.

The best thing about a true friend is that no matter the time or distance that separates you, whenever you are with that person its like you just saw them yesterday. Conversation and relationship picks up right where you left it.

These statements are common in this thread and I concur 100%. It's a special bond when you meet that soul friend if ya will. You can be away for any amount of time and step right back in the moment picking up like no lost time. I have a friend that I have known since childhood and when he calls to chat it stirs my heart to hear that old buddies voice again.

To me it is about the relationship with someone, being honest & loyal to that friend. In other words a true "brother from another mother". Everyone in this thread had done a good job of describing something that boils down to being a non judgmental, supportive, honest, and a forgiving friend. Friends are the ones that seem to always be there when you need them. Like the Beatles said, "I get by with a little help from my friends."

To me it is about the relationship with someone, being honest & loyal to that friend. In other words a true "brother from another mother". Everyone in this thread had done a good job of describing something that boils down to being a non judgmental, supportive, honest, and a forgiving friend. Friends are the ones that seem to always be there when you need them. Like the Beatles said, "I get by with a little help from my friends."

Well said my friend :thumb:

It's okay, your grammar and spelling match your profile picture perfectly. You're my TRUE friend and I love you unconditionally. I know the real you and you're a gem despite your online madness.

It's okay, your grammar and spelling match your profile picture perfectly. You're my TRUE friend and I love you unconditionally. I know the real you and you are a gem despite your online madness.

Awwwwww that's really special! :in-love: Don't go ruining my old basta*d internet profile now :D

Back