TRUE Linkswear OG Feel Review

BigMac

#LLTG!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
TRUE Linkswear made a splash in the golf industry in 2009 with their lightweight, zero-drop, minimalist golf shoes. Their motto is "Enjoy the Walk", and their shoes were designed by, and for, walking golfers. The president of the company is Jason Moore, brother of Ryan Moore (NCAA Individual Champion, US AM Champion, 5-time PGA Tour winner and member of a winning Ryder Cup team), who is a partner in the company. Both avid golfers who grew up in a golf-oriented family, they originally were dissatisfied with the current shoe offerings on the market and set out to design a better, more comfortable golf shoe. The result was the original TRUE Linkswear shoe - a light, flexible shoe with a thin, zero-drop sole and an extra-roomy toe box. Although the appearance was derided by many as looking like a "clown shoe" due to the bulbous toe box, there was no denying the comfort, and TRUE developed into a niche brand which gradually gained a cult following.

As the brand grew, other stakeholders in the company led them to branching out and meeting the demands of big box retailers, and their shoe designs were straying from Jason and Ryan's original intentions, as was quality. In 2016, Jason and Ryan re-acquired full control of the company from the other stakeholders, relocated to their current headquarters in Tacoma, Washington, and completely purged all the old, unsustainable product lines. Their "reboot" began in 2017 with two shoe models based upon their original design concepts from 2009 - The Original (OG) and the Outsider. Both shoes were received very favorably, and a lot of the TRUE loyalists returned as if they had never left.

The TRUE Linkswear OG Feel was introduced in 2020. It is essentially the Original with a knit upper (as opposed to the premium leather upper of the Original). In keeping with the design of the Original, it has a thin, flexible, zero-drop (spikeless) sole, and a roomy "natural width" upper which will accommodate foot widths up to 4E.

In an effort to be more environmentally conscious, TRUE Linkswear now ships their shoes in a sturdy, reusable shoe bag with a drawstring closure rather than a cardboard box. The bag features the "OG_FEEL" label printed at the bottom, the TRUE Linkswear logo in the middle, and "Feel the Course" at the top above the drawstring closure. The print pattern resembles the contour lines of a topographical map, in keeping with their outdoor orientation:

OG_1.jpg

They currently offer three colorways for the OG Feel. The pair I purchased are the "Everyday Gray" colorway, which has a dark gray/black knit upper, a brown leather saddle, and a black leather heel counter, and gray shoelaces with brown aglets to match the leather saddle (also included in the bag are a pair of black shoelaces) Product branding on the shoe is subtle and tastefully done:

OG_2.jpg

The knit upper is a fully breathable, one-piece sock fit which is 90% polyester and 10% spandex. The fabric of the upper is treated with DWR (Durable Water Repellent), making the shoes water repellent (but not fully waterproof, as the Originals are). The fit is snug at the heel, with their characteristic "Natural Width" toe box which allows your feet to splay out as if you were barefoot. The knit upper is stretchy enough to conform to your foot, but still offers a bit of structure so your foot doesn't slide around atop the sole. The saddle and heel counter are both leather, similar to the Originals, with a loop at the heel to assist in putting the shoes on, and the inside of the upper around the heel is lightly cushioned. The shoes are very lightweight overall. Their claimed weight for a size 9 shoe is 8.7 ounces - I weighed my size 13 OG Feel at 11.8 ounces, as opposed to my all-leather size 13 Original at 15.2 ounces:

OG_3.jpg

The OG Feel has a white spikeless sole which is virtually identical to the Original model. The sole is thin (5mm tread with a 2.5mm sole/midsole), extremely flexible and offers great feel of the ground beneath your feet while still providing more than adequate protection from foreign objects. Like the Original, the sole is a zero-drop design, meaning that the heel and toe are at the same height:

OG_4.jpg

Speaking from experience, these soles wear extremely well - I have two pair of TRUE Linkswear Originals with the same sole which I've owned for over a year, both of which have 60+ rounds of golf on them (along with being worn to/from the course), and wear is minimal. Grip is excellent for a spikeless shoe - although I play primarily desert courses, I play many rounds in morning dew and on freshly irrigated courses, and have never had a problem with foot slippage, even on wet slopes/irregular surfaces. While I don't have overly active feet in my swing, I've had no problems with "spinning out" or slipping during the swing. I'm very partial to the minimalist, zero drop sole, as it offers great feel of foot positioning/balance and also for feeling bunker composition and green contours. The best way I can describe TRUE Linkswear shoes is that it's the next best thing to playing completely barefoot in terms of comfort and feel.

Gone is the bulbous "clown shoe" look of the TRUE Linkswear shoes of previous eras. While the toe box is wider than most shoes (claiming to fit up to 4E), the design is sleek and aesthetic - you won't draw any more attention than you would in any other athletic-style golf shoe. As mentioned above, the heel is a snug fit, comparable to most other golf shoes, so despite the wide toe box your foot is held well in the shoe and there is no heel slippage while walking. The insole is similar to the Original - a minimalist 4.5mm EVA foam, designed to offer enough cushioning for comfort while still maximizing feel on the course:

OG_5.jpg

My first round in these shoes will be bright and early tomorrow morning. Having played exclusively in the TRUE Linkswear Originals for the past 14 months, I'm a big fan of them and have a pretty good idea of what to expect from the OG Feels already, but I'll offer any additional thoughts after the round and update in the future as I get more rounds on them. The biggest difference I'm looking forward to is the additional ventilation from the knit uppers - summer golf in Arizona is often over 100 degrees and while the all-leather Originals haven't been at all uncomfortable in the heat, I'll take all the cooling I can get!

TRUE Linkswear are not highly structured shoes, and the OG Feel is no exception. They're designed with a minimalist/barefoot ethos, so if you need a lot of support in your golf shoes there are other brands which may be better suited to your needs - but if you enjoy extremely comfortable shoes which allow your feet to spread out and relax and won't have you eagerly awaiting the minute you can take them off after a round, TRUE Linkswear are worth a look. The OG Feel, with its breathable knit upper, may be the perfect shoe for the warm weather golfer who wants to "Enjoy the Walk". Retailing at $139.00, they are very competitively priced. You can learn more about the TRUE Linkswear brand at https://truelinkswear.com/

(Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with TRUE Linkswear or anybody within the company - just a very satisfied, loyal user. I paid full retail price for the shoes on pre-order, and did not receive any compensation/consideration for this review.)

Last edited:
This is a great write up, thanks for the detailed information. I still have a pair of the original True Linkswear shoes that I wear regularly. I will definitely need to put these on my list to try.

Great write-up. I received my pair of OG Feels in the same color yesterday. Will have them out tomorrow for league and circle back here after.

Man. I want a pair, bad.

Those look pretty decent actually. I like that you referenced the clown shoes of the past because having owned a pair of those that is exactly what I thought of them. While they were comfortable on course I never wore them much.

Ive always loved how most of the TRUE shoes look but the description of the wide toe box turns me off from them... I know the article mentions it but im pretty much sworn off of spikeless shoes bc I play early mornings so often and have had lots of slippage issues with my aggressive swing

those do look pretty tho

Thoughts after my first round with the OG Feels:

1) COMFORT!!! These shoes are both light and very flexible. The knit upper is more flexible than the leather OGs, which makes for an almost completely barefoot feel - so comfortable to walk in! They still offer enough support and there's no foot slippage within the shoe, but your feet just feel...free. The low stack height of the sole combined with the zero drop makes it easy to roll onto the outside edge of your left foot on the swing follow-through - it doesn't feel like the shoes are holding you back and it doesn't feel like you're falling off a cliff as you transfer your weight and roll the foot. I can't say enough about how comfortable they are - I love the "barefoot" feel, and these shoes deliver.

2) It was 90 degrees when we teed off at 0645 and 103 degrees when we finished. The knit upper breathes well and allows some airflow to your feet, keeping things nice and cool. For that same reason, they probably wouldn't be my first choice on a cold winter morning, but for the hotter months these will be the shoes on my feet every round. My leather OGs will be getting a little vacation until around November or December, when keeping my feet warm becomes a priority.

3) There was still dew on the grass and plenty of wet areas from early morning irrigation. The light moisture beaded up and didn't absorb into the water-repellent uppers, and my feet stayed dry. As expected from my experiences with the OGs, I didn't have any issues with slippage. A few errant shots had me hiking up and down hills, on both rocky dirt and wet grass - footage was sure and the heel counter holds your heel securely in the shoes even when climbing steep hills. The uppers stayed clean - no water, grass or dirt stains, even though I spent some time hiking in the dirt and tall grass and visited a few bunkers along the way.

4) Both of my playing partners commented on how nice/"sharp" they looked. TRUE managed to maintain the wide, spacious toe box while completely eliminating the "clown shoe" look of years past - you won't have people asking where your face paint and the rest of your costume is. :LOL: They go very well with shorts (which I wear about 9 months out of the year for golf), and if worn with long pants they wouldn't look at all out of place even in a casual office environment. If I had that kind of job, they would probably double as my work shoes because of both the looks and comfort.

If you're pondering these, quit pondering and pull the trigger already. I can't think of any reason I wouldn't highly recommend them to anybody, unless you just really hate super comfortable, great looking shoes.

Last edited:
Great writeup and glad the initial feedback matched your expectations / hopes for these shoes! Awesome design and like the shoe bag. Nice touch as I like to carry shoes in something.

Great writeup and glad the initial feedback matched your expectations / hopes for these shoes! Awesome design and like the shoe bag. Nice touch as I like to carry shoes in something.
The shoe bag is nice and I'll definitely keep it around for when I travel, but for local golf I always just wear the shoes to and from the course. They're as comfortable as any other shoes I own, and they don't look at all out of place if I have to run errands before or after my round.

The shoe bag is nice and I'll definitely keep it around for when I travel, but for local golf I always just wear the shoes to and from the course. They're as comfortable as any other shoes I own, and they don't look at all out of place if I have to run errands before or after my round.

Duh didnt think about the spikeless... I usually wear my super old Trues straight to the course. It is one nice thing about them. a little out dated on style though.

1593026103972.png

Great write up . That is the color I was looking at

I wore mine for the first time yesterday and they're absolutely awesome. My biggest gripe with TL in the past was in the looks department, but these look good! These aren't waterproof, but coated with DWR instead and that was enough yesterday. There wasn't any rain in the forecast, so I never considered wearing anything else. It rained. It rained hard. It rained hard 4 times during the round. Not once did I ever slip and at no point did my feet ever get wet. I was shocked my feet were still dry at the end, because I was walking and it was really coming down a few different times. Also, if they're not the most comfortable shoe I've walked in then they're up there with whatever is.

Is there a promo code for them?

Is there a promo code for them?
Negative. The non pre-orders haven't even shipped yet. There was a perk package for pre-orders that included a gift card and early shipping. A few of us on here took advantage, and I'm very happy I did.

I wore mine for the first time yesterday and they're absolutely awesome. My biggest gripe with TL in the past was in the looks department, but these look good! These aren't waterproof, but coated with DWR instead and that was enough yesterday. There wasn't any rain in the forecast, so I never considered wearing anything else. It rained. It rained hard. It rained hard 4 times during the round. Not once did I ever slip and at no point did my feet ever get wet. I was shocked my feet were still dry at the end, because I was walking and it was really coming down a few different times. Also, if they're not the most comfortable shoe I've walked in then they're up there with whatever is.
Good to hear about the water resistance. I don't get to test that aspect of shoes very often out here in the desert, but based on your experience I won't hesitate to wear them during the monsoon when we occasionally get caught out in gully-washing thunderstorms that pop up out of nowhere.

I love my originals, but they are a bit warm when it’s hot out. These would be perfect for those days.

How is the sizing on these?

Bought mine today :banana:g

Bought mine today :banana:g
Congrats, hope you enjoy them as much as I am! I've got 5 rounds and a range session on them, such comfortable shoes. No slippage at all, they've been easy to keep clean so far, and I've gotten several compliments on them.

Congrats, hope you enjoy them as much as I am! I've got 5 rounds and a range session on them, such comfortable shoes. No slippage at all, they've been easy to keep clean so far, and I've gotten several compliments on them.

i was gonna get the eco-knits (even after getting the coastal flex xp's) at some point but the pro shop just started carrying them and i looked at both...figured i had wanted a little bit more so i grabbed the feels.

i was gonna get the eco-knits (even after getting the coastal flex xp's) at some point but the pro shop just started carrying them and i looked at both...figured i had wanted a little bit more so i grabbed the feels.
I'm thinking about buying a second pair of the Feels in another color for some variety. I still have my two pair of leather OGs, but these are noticeably cooler and more enjoyable during the real hot weather.

I'm thinking about buying a second pair of the Feels in another color for some variety. I still have my two pair of leather OGs, but these are noticeably cooler and more enjoyable during the real hot weather.

lol. i was thinking the same thing but FJ offered to let me trade in the coastal flexes so I'm gonna trade in for some Pro SLs so i'm definitely covered in the shoe dept :rolleyes:

Are they shipping outside of presale now? the lux knit and lux pro are delayed until at least mid august. disappointing but not surprising.

Are they shipping outside of presale now? the lux knit and lux pro are delayed until at least mid august. disappointing but not surprising.
The OG Feels show a target ship date of July 17th, according to their site.

Back