True Spec fitting

The Dave

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I was going through the list of tip clubfitters on golf digest and noticed a few True Spec locations across the country in their Top 100. Does anyone have experience going through a fitting with them?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

i have tried to schedule a couple times with them at their new orlando location and they've been booked up. i'm actually pretty happy with my setup, but it would be nice to get some outdoor numbers to know what i'm working with. gapping would be good to know too. not sure i want to pay that much, though i do think it's priced fairly for what you get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never heard of true spec fitting.

New to me!

Expect to pay a premium for the service. They build the clubs themselves here in Columbus actually and you pay for everything. You pay for heads, you pay for shafts, you pay for grips. There are no free inclusions or upgrades like the manufacturers offer. They buy each product independently and then pass that cost on to you. They do also do frequency matching for the shafts if you are a good enough player that it matters to you.

I did a fitting with them last year and I ended up not buying. It was over $1600.00 for a set of TaylorMade PSi and it was a combination of head and shafts I could have just ordered direct from TM for $1000. I honestly didn't trust the fitting I got but that is a me thing because I was having a terrible swing day and I don't think my swing was representative of my skill at the time. If you have a solid repeatable swing I think the fitter can work for you but they seemed to pretty much rely a lot on the trackman for the fitting numbers.

Expect to pay a premium for the service. They build the clubs themselves here in Columbus actually and you pay for everything. You pay for heads, you pay for shafts, you pay for grips. There are no free inclusions or upgrades like the manufacturers offer. They buy each product independently and then pass that cost on to you. They do also do frequency matching for the shafts if you are a good enough player that it matters to you.

I did a fitting with them last year and I ended up not buying. It was over $1600.00 for a set of TaylorMade PSi and it was a combination of head and shafts I could have just ordered direct from TM for $1000. I honestly didn't trust the fitting I got but that is a me thing because I was having a terrible swing day and I don't think my swing was representative of my skill at the time. If you have a solid repeatable swing I think the fitter can work for you but they seemed to pretty much rely a lot on the trackman for the fitting numbers.

Being from Columbus, have you been fit anywhere else for clubs, since you were not confident in the results?

I saw they had a mobile fitting set up and was considering it, however based on their club build/purchase set up, I probably would not buy from them

Being from Columbus, have you been fit anywhere else for clubs, since you were not confident in the results?

I saw they had a mobile fitting set up and was considering it, however based on their club build/purchase set up, I probably would not buy from them

Based on your profile you are probably a bit better than me so you might get more benefit from a fitting with them. If I recall the fee is $100 if you don't buy anything. I don't know if it has changed but they did their outdoor fitting on the range at Kinsale.

As far as other fittings go, I've just had a couple of Callaway fittings at Golf Galaxy near Easton. They are $50 bucks if you don't buy anything but free if you purchase. I don't know that they were spectacular but they seemed fair and were fitting me into products that seem right for me. I just did one this weekend for the Big Bertha OS irons. I went in wanting to be fit for the Steelhead XR but the BB OS just seemed to work better for me.

I do find fittings for me to be a bit harder because I am left handed and not having access to clubs for all kinds to try. I do think the plus for True Spec is they won't try to push specific brands.

Back