Review True Temper AMT Red Shafts

OITW

Reaction score
amt-red.png

? True Temper Website

About the Shaft:

AMT Red is the lightest weight and highest trajectory/spin option in the AMT range. Out of the AMT range, AMT Red maximizes speed and launch most by utilizing a responsive tip design and maintaining a constant superlight weighting in 4-7 irons. Focusing more on precision and control from 8-iron through wedge, AMT Red is designed with Ascending Mass Technology—making each shaft progressively heavier by 3-gram increments as golfers move to shorter irons. This unique blend of superlight weighting in 4-7 irons and AMT weighting in the scoring clubs allows AMT Red to offer both power and precision.

Shaft Profile:

ShaftFit Technology Tempo

MODERATE
TEMPO
Tempo is not how fast you swing it, it is how you swing it fast. Tempo will affect how you load and unload the shaft and is a big factor in which shaft will best suit you. A player with a quicker backswing and more aggressive transition will have a faster tempo, while a player with a slower backswing and smoother transition will have a more deliberate tempo.

ShaftFit Technology Trajectory

HIGH
TRAJECTORY
Trajectory is the flight of the ball and the peak height that the ball reaches. A player who struggles with getting the ball in the air should look towards a higher trajectory shaft, while a player who struggles hitting the ball too high should look for a lower trajectory shaft.

ShaftFit Technology Spin

HIGH
SPIN
Spin is the amount of backspin that the ball has. The designs of certain golf shafts can promote more or less spin so keep this in mind when looking for a shaft to maximize your game.

Specs:

PRODUCTS
FLEX
WEIGHT (G)
LENGTH (IN.)
TIP DIAMETER (IN.)
BUTT DIAMETER (IN.)
LAUNCH

R
R300
94-106
39.5-36.5
High

S
S300
95-107
39.5-36.5
High

AMT Red Shaft Red

Color:Onyx Black

FR300

I was lucky enough to receive these in the Cleveland HB Launcher Turbo irons I won(drafted) at the Ultimate Weekend of Golf A couple of weeks ago.

Background:

The heads and shafts weren’t on my radar going into this event. I played GI irons this year and they worked, I wasn’t in love with the performance, it may have been the shaft/head combos. I was leaning toward heavier shafts with a players profile head.

I had a fitting a month ago and I was fit into heavier shafts and a but more of an active tip. That was where my head was at.

The Shaft Performance:

Well fast forward to Sunday at the event- the AMT Red comes in Onyx Black and @Canadan built one hell of an appealing set:

2F0E62CE-1D7B-45B9-A50E-1F37461B6582.jpeg1872C904-CE44-474F-AC58-C681836632C9.jpeg

The shaft head pairing are high launching weapons.

Was seeing nice mid launch (vs low/mid) that I saw with my older irons in the longer clubs - 4-6 and nice mid high/high ball flight with the mid and scoring irons.

Was seeing the ball do this:

11B10546-8402-4238-976E-F64759E2894A.jpegBE3A6D6C-45CC-41C0-BE76-5C320A34F2E6.jpegC628C089-9BD5-4D63-B651-B19C8D36F95B.jpeg

Thru the first 7 holes I had 6 GIRs and 7 FIRs

It was point and shoot for me, such an easy boring way to play golf lol

Let’ talk dispersion. Dispersion was fantastic, I was a bit concerned with the profile and these being R flex, but my concern was unfounded. I was able to hit greens and fairways and give myself a chance to score which is all you can ask for.

I think if you need higher launch Don’t sleep on these shafts.

Last edited:
Looking forward to your thoughts. I’m pretty interested in this shaft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking forward to your thoughts. I’m pretty interested in this shaft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks bud, initial thoughts are up for you.

will have more on my range session today later

Another scramble round in the books with these, iron swing wasn't the strongest, but I was seeing a pretty consistent launch throughout the bag.

Nice Mid/Mid high flight from the 4 through the PW - I definitely attribute that to the variable weighting in the shafts, compared to other shaft/head combos where the long irons were considerably different flight (see lower) than the mid and scoring irons.

I like the consistency that these shafts are showing me with the head. It also doesn't hurt that the heads (all of them) just want to get the ball in the air.

Another interesting take on these, the headweight in the Turbos is 268g (7i) and the headweight of the Cobra F9 7i is 268. These shafts are significantly lighter than the Modus Tour 105 that I have in those, but overall total club weight feels great in both.

Even with the lighter weight and R flex in these - they still are stiff enough that it's not adversely affecting my dispersion.

Another scramble round in the books with these, iron swing wasn't the strongest, but I was seeing a pretty consistent launch throughout the bag.

Nice Mid/Mid high flight from the 4 through the PW - I definitely attribute that to the variable weighting in the shafts, compared to other shaft/head combos where the long irons were considerably different flight (see lower) than the mid and scoring irons.

I like the consistency that these shafts are showing me with the head. It also doesn't hurt that the heads (all of them) just want to get the ball in the air.

Another interesting take on these, the headweight in the Turbos is 268g (7i) and the headweight of the Cobra F9 7i is 268. These shafts are significantly lighter than the Modus Tour 105 that I have in those, but overall total club weight feels great in both.

Even with the lighter weight and R flex in these - they still are stiff enough that it's not adversely affecting my dispersion.

Played 18 holes with these in the bag on Sunday. As the Swing goes so do these, with the caveat that I never need my best swing, maybe 50% of my best and these tools still do the job.

Round Highlights:

Played a links style course, plenty of room to miss off the tee, not so much on approach shots and iron shots. Weather was cold and wind was up and biting.

Where these shine:

Long Irons - I have 3 memorable shots from the round with these.

1) 4i off the deck 210 out on a Par 5 trees blocking the green so no clear line of site. Took 4i over the trees (which is nuts because I don't hit the ball high, let alone a 4i) was pin high just off the green on the right side, chip up and two putt par. Was awesome to have an iron shot in from outside of 200 hundred yards, feel confident to hit it high and accurately.

2) 9i Par 3 tee shot on the following hole, a tad downwind, but nothing significant. Dropped the tee shot 6 inches from the hole and almost made my 2nd career Ace. If that's not accurate, I don't know what is.

9CC93700-436B-4F93-A4BE-D6F720BF31C0.jpeg

3) 5i 195 yard Par 3 - Off the tee nice smooth swing left me 15' for birdie. Nice Mid flight good contact. Missed the putt, but having a birdie try that I thought I had a chance at on a long Par 3 is HUGE

154B4585-0CA5-4408-BD81-36C059C5254C.jpeg

The shafts held up in the wind, dispersion wasn't adversely affected. I was still able to get the ball up in the air, flighting it down was more of a challenge.

No feel issues or anything strange on greenside chips with PW and 8i either. These are still holding their own. No desire to change the combo right now.

Got out the other day with .

Swing was pretty bad for the first 7 holes. Kept losing shots left (pretty much my miss all year).

I kept working on it until I corrected it for the last two holes and those holes hit some 3 fantastic shots. A monster 4 that left me 80 yards to the green (Hole is 327 downhill probably playing 300 that day)
View attachment 8916779
This is a screenshot of the hole

Hit the 4i just short of the creek, couldn’t hit it any better right in the middle

Next hole was a nice 160 yard 7 iron that left me 140 into an up uphill green took 9i and was 20 ft past the hole.

Matt had some observations about my swing and the gear.

With the AMT Reds being lighterweight and a softer flex with my aggressive transition at the top it and not being synced it was causing contact issue and bad shots that were going left.

He definitely has a point and he knows my swing - the final few holes everything was feeling great and the shots were solid as well.

These are great clubs, but for what my swing and miss is when things aren’t working these might not necessarily be the best fit (soft flex and draw biased/offset clubs)

However, that is when the swing is total garbage and I don’t think any piece of equipment will help me in that case.

I still think these are a great combo and will continue to play them into the New Year.

The bolded portion pertain to the shafts. I would like to try the S300 - I don’t know if that’s the right move and would help if the swing is trash but definitely a consideration- not one I’m going to actively pursue though.

Got back out this weekend, swing was rusty with a week and half layoff. First few holes it was no bueno, was lucky if I could make contact with the ball.

I definitely think there is something to my swing not synced with the R300 shafts. Really losing shots left and not having a chance to keep it in play.

However, once I got going, warmed up and in the round, I started to hit some pretty good shots, with these, off the tee easily finding fairways and not seeing too much distance loss in the cold weather with the Bridgestone Tour BRXS - however switching to the Srixon XV I was a full club shorter and the ball wasn't launching as high.

I was 55% fairways with the irons off the tee and hit a good amount of greens - a lot of my scoring issues were due to putting.

I like the Red, probably would like it in Stiff though. The lighter weight shafts with the heavier heads work. The launch is great in the longer/mid irons.

Mid Penetrating flight in the long to mid irons, higher flight in the scoring irons and PW.

Got to experience these shafts this past weekend, but in a different head.

Played them in the Titleist T300 irons. R300 flex.

Flight seemed a bit lower than I’m used to with the HB Launcher irons. Didn’t seem to be much of a distance difference either.

I think I do lose a bit of dispersion with the R flex.

still had no trouble hitting approach shots close. Struggled a bit with the 4i/5i

overall with the heads these did feel a bit lighter than I prefer/am used to.

Still a good shaft - really want to try the S flex
Though

Back