True Temper Iron Shaft Project

Sounds like these Rifle shafts are exactly what you should have been playing all along TC. Don't you also like the clean look of a stepless shaft? I know I do - the clubs look sleeker IMO.

Sounds like these Rifle shafts are exactly what you should have been playing all along TC. Don't you also like the clean look of a stepless shaft? I know I do - the clubs look sleeker IMO.

yeah, the look of the shafts is fantastic! i've said it before and i'll say it again, there's no reason why anyone shouldn't be utilizing the performance of an upgraded shaft. i have no doubts that they'll ultimately make me a better player and true temper has shafts that fit all swing speeds, and shafts that can do for others what they've done for me. it was pretty simple for me: i wanted a shaft that offered a more penetrating flight and i honestly believe that i have that now.

yeah, the look of the shafts is fantastic! i've said it before and i'll say it again, there's no reason why anyone shouldn't be utilizing the performance of an upgraded shaft. i have no doubts that they'll ultimately make me a better player and true temper has shafts that fit all swing speeds, and shafts that can do for others what they've done for me. it was pretty simple for me: i wanted a shaft that offered a more penetrating flight and i honestly believe that i have that now.

Congratulations TC, sounds like the static fitting was very successful.

The lower, more controlled trajectory is also exactly what I'm looking for in my irons. To make a long story short, I took a buttload of lessons last year and fixed a lot of problems with my swing. I'm now swinging quite a bit faster with much more lag and now I hit my irons incredibly high... way too high. My 7 iron has the trajectory of a pitching wedge now. Not sure I can or should wait until the fall outing to look at upgrading.

Thanks again for the encouraging and enjoyable updates!

Congratulations TC, sounds like the static fitting was very successful.

The lower, more controlled trajectory is also exactly what I'm looking for in my irons. To make a long story short, I took a buttload of lessons last year and fixed a lot of problems with my swing. I'm now swinging quite a bit faster with much more lag and now I hit my irons incredibly high... way too high. My 7 iron has the trajectory of a pitching wedge now. Not sure I can or should wait until the fall outing to look at upgrading.

Thanks again for the encouraging and enjoyable updates!

you're very welcome. it's been a fun process so far and it's only just begun. there's nothing worse than knowing that you have a good repeatable swing, you know you're making good contact, your ball striking is at its best, yet you can't control the ball flight. it's been something that has frustrated me for a long, long time. i just can't reiterate how important this process is for one's game, and for one's results. if it were me, i'd look into getting optimized well before the outing, and this thread proves that there are great options out there in order to pursue that optimization.

there's something else that i wanted to mention and that's how much it costs to get new shafts installed. i know that many of you are growing more and more interested in going this route but at what expense? i'm also sure that some of you have the tools and workspace to take on an experiment like this, but i don't.

-the shop here charged a fee to pull the existing shafts, and i'm sure that fee will differ depending on where you are. ($9 per shaft)
-there's also a fee to install the new shafts ($15 per shaft)
-he charged me a flat $20 per shaft for pulling and installing b/c i buy most of my stuff from him
-grips & new ferills (tour velvets were $5.99 per grip and the ferills were .99 each)

it's not the cheapest thing on the planet to do, but it's so worth it. i'm sure it could be done a lot cheaper if you were to pull your own shafts and to buy your grips from ebay.

Cool write up big broseph, Did you win a closest to the pin? You didnt tell me this story. Glad you liked them, I know you have been stoked about this for a while. I was hoping you were making a right move because your game has been on....sounds like you did. Damn it, now I am gonna get it handed to me worse on the course. Oh well, it makes for fun rounds with the big bro!

Cool write up big broseph, Did you win a closest to the pin? You didnt tell me this story. Glad you liked them, I know you have been stoked about this for a while. I was hoping you were making a right move because your game has been on....sounds like you did. Damn it, now I am gonna get it handed to me worse on the course. Oh well, it makes for fun rounds with the big bro!

yeah, i won closest to the pin but didn't win anything for it, just a public shoutout over lunch! i just got lucky! i know you didn't see the need at all for the change but i just felt like i want to play with equipment that completely fits my game. it's a work in progress right now but i firmly believe that i made the right move.

TC really informative thread. Along with the info about the fitting and results I love how you included costs. It is definitely not cheap but having the shaft that fits your game is something that can help a lot. After I went through the process my game changed a bunch. I struggled at first but Im so glad it happened. Glad you're loving those Rifle's... Had a chance to try them with a Mizuno head and they are slick. Very cool and thanks again for all the info.

TC really informative thread. Along with the info about the fitting and results I love how you included costs. It is definitely not cheap but having the shaft that fits your game is something that can help a lot. After I went through the process my game changed a bunch. I struggled at first but Im so glad it happened. Glad you're loving those Rifle's... Had a chance to try them with a Mizuno head and they are slick. Very cool and thanks again for all the info.

you're very welcome yoccos. i'm just glad that you also have shafts that fit your game man, it really is important. i was hesitant to include the cost of things and i'm sure it varies depending on where one lives and who one knows but that's the reality of it and i felt like it needed to be shared.

i'm hoping to get some range time in this evening but we'll see. i just got slapped by corporate to do more, more, more so it looks like i'm about to be a busy bee!

It really is man. I got to test a bunch of shafts out too. I think the price is pretty much what I've seen in shops. I didnt even realize there was a cost to pull shafts at first. Then didn't even think about the cost of grips haha. Very good insight.

Good to be busy man! It certainly makes the game more addicting when you start to see a penetrating ball flight. Just feels like a completely new club. Hope you get some range time in!
you're very welcome yoccos. i'm just glad that you also have shafts that fit your game man, it really is important. i was hesitant to include the cost of things and i'm sure it varies depending on where one lives and who one knows but that's the reality of it and i felt like it needed to be shared.

i'm hoping to get some range time in this evening but we'll see. i just got slapped by corporate to do more, more, more so it looks like i'm about to be a busy bee!

me too yoccos, it drives me nuts knowing that they're in the car, and i'm driving around all day. i'm sure i could sneak some time in, the pressure isn't really on until July 1......big sales contest. i live for those things.

I do the same thing!!!!!!!! I work right next to ASU Karsten and there are some days I just want to sneak out. Especially with the rates they are now. And especially after a good range/practice session. Lol.

Good luck on that sales contest. Contests at work can really be a great thing. Maybe you can wow some potential sales with those new shafts/shots :)

I do the same thing!!!!!!!! I work right next to ASU Karsten and there are some days I just want to sneak out. Especially with the rates they are now. And especially after a good range/practice session. Lol.

Good luck on that sales contest. Contests at work can really be a great thing. Maybe you can wow some potential sales with those new shafts/shots :)

i'm not that good yoccos!!!

btw, love the addition to the sig, i just noticed. that's classy man!

Haha thanks man. It's a good to rep the gear. These shafts are bringing my scores down and building up my confidence. I never thought I would swing more relaxed with stiffer/heavier shafts and I am killing the ball. I hope the numbers come out on the course, just need to work on it being consistant. But I cant emphasize enough how much of a difference these shafts are making. Especially now that my swing is finding a groove. If True Temper is reading this thread I want them to know how much this rocks!

Also your take on golf is refreshing man. Thank you for bringing it to the forum!!!!!!!

i'm not that good yoccos!!!

btw, love the addition to the sig, i just noticed. that's classy man!

Haha thanks man. It's a good to rep the gear. These shafts are bringing my scores down and building up my confidence. I never thought I would swing more relaxed with stiffer/heavier shafts and I am killing the ball. I hope the numbers come out on the course, just need to work on it being consistant. But I cant emphasize enough how much of a difference these shafts are making. Especially now that my swing is finding a groove. If True Temper is reading this thread I want them to know how much this rocks!

Also your take on golf is refreshing man. Thank you for bringing it to the forum!!!!!!!

i think that the highlighted is key! i'm assuming that a lot of us don't think we're good enough, or our swings are good enough to really utilize this equipment, but the fact is, true temper has a large enough line to fit just about everyone. so why not find out what fits you the best? i do take my golf seriously, but i am a realist. golf to me is so much more than a game, it's humbling, it teaches patience, and most of all, it's taught me self belief. so why not embrace all aspects of the game? why not find out what equipment is best for me? why settle? all of these questions were burning my brain up so much in the past few months and i have no doubts that i wore poor ol' JB out with all of my questions.

yoccos, thanks for the compliment, it means a lot. i like to to think that with me, what you read is what you get, and the good thing is, you'll find that out come september!!

TC, just curious if you had any idea what the difference between a shaft like the X100 and the Rifles are? I did the static fit and got fitted for the X100's, but I have gone through an online type fitting before and got my static specs for a variety of different shafts: Royal Precision Rifle Project X Flighted – 6.5, Royal Precision Rifle Flighted – 6.0, Royal Precision Rifle Project X – 6.0, etc.. I just wasn't sure what the difference was between the two categories of shafts, other than that flighted is supposed to fly higher.

TC, just curious if you had any idea what the difference between a shaft like the X100 and the Rifles are? I did the static fit and got fitted for the X100's, but I have gone through an online type fitting before and got my static specs for a variety of different shafts: Royal Precision Rifle Project X Flighted – 6.5, Royal Precision Rifle Flighted – 6.0, Royal Precision Rifle Project X – 6.0, etc.. I just wasn't sure what the difference was between the two categories of shafts, other than that flighted is supposed to fly higher.

good questions, not so sure i can answer it for you though. of all the times i took the shaftfit, i got the rifle 6.0's about 90% of the time and the x100's were the only other shafts that were ever recommended. i do hope that someone who knows more than myself can chime in here and answer your question.

That was what I was thinking. Because I wasn't shooting 2 under I wouldnt benefit. Boy was I wrong. When I did the fitting, Golf Galaxy was so helpful. We tested the recommended shafts and modified it a little because the numbers werent matching. Soft Step X vs stiff and I choose the stiff based off of feel and numbers. I bolded quite a few of your statements but I really could've done the whole post :). If you're serious about golf, this is the way to go. Very humbling sport that encourages growth is so many aspects. It'll be cool to see how it all unfolds for you.

September can't come soon enough!!!!!!!!!!

i think that the highlighted is key! i'm assuming that a lot of us don't think we're good enough, or our swings are good enough to really utilize this equipment, but the fact is, true temper has a large enough line to fit just about everyone. so why not find out what fits you the best? i do take my golf seriously, but i am a realist. golf to me is so much more than a game, it's humbling, it teaches patience, and most of all, it's taught me self belief. so why not embrace all aspects of the game? why not find out what equipment is best for me? why settle? all of these questions were burning my brain up so much in the past few months and i have no doubts that i wore poor ol' JB out with all of my questions.

yoccos, thanks for the compliment, it means a lot. i like to to think that with me, what you read is what you get, and the good thing is, you'll find that out come september!!

had a sweet range session this afternoon. i went to a range near the house that max's out @ 250, this way i would just hit irons and nothing else. i'm still adjusting to my new grips more than anything. i went w/a mid size grip for the first time ever and it's just different right now. i'm loving the feel i'm experiencing and i really feel like for the first time i can actually control the height of my golf shots. if i need to keep it low, i can, if i need to hoist one up, i can. i'm looking forward to getting a round under my belt b/c that will be a great barometer for me.

i've enjoyed everyone's enthusiasm and i must say: there's no reason why one shouldn't consider an upgraded shaft.

Good stuff TC!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i'm hoping that i might get a round in today at the local par 3 course. it's a great course to work on your iron game. the shortest hole on the course is 92 yards and the longest one is 220 yards, and there's some great holes in between. i can't think of a better place to put some work in with the new shafts. it's usually kind of windy on this course and i'm hoping for some windy conditions to put these to the test in. if it's not busy i'll play two balls. i like to do this on occassion and on one ball, i'd hit what i would normally, then on ball number two, i'll take some extra club and practice hitting some knock down shots. i think it's a good way to polish ball striking.

thoroughly enjoyed reading every word in this thread

did you make it to the par 3 course today TC?

thoroughly enjoyed reading every word in this thread

thanks russ, that's very kind of you. i hope that perhaps something helped you out.

did you make it to the par 3 course today TC?

no sunday, we got a nasty rain in here around noon and it lasted til about 4, go figure! i think that the par 3 course will be an excellent test, it gives me the opportunity to try a lot of different shaped shots, and it'll be fun to see how the next shafts respond.

that sucks looking forward to hearing your feedback!

Back