True Temper Iron Shaft Project

Good luck out there TC.

Best of luck today TC! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on those new shafts!!

Good luck with the new shafts at the tourney! I hope they don't throw you off too much.

Go get'em TC, good luck buddy!

ok fellas, i was up early, 5am and on the road at 5:30 for the 2 hour drive so i could hit the range when it opened at 7 this morning. i've played this golf course many times and am familiar with the practice facility there. i was excited and nervous the whole drive up the mountain. after a little stretching a some time chipping to get loose i pulled the newly shafted pitching wedge out and emptied a small bag of balls. a few practice swings, then it was time to pull the trigger. whack! an unbelievable feel, a slightly lower ball flight and slightly increased distance. could this be too good to be true? i hit another, then another, then another, and all the same thing.....great feel, more penetrating ball flight, and slightly longer distance. i figured i picked up around 7-8 yards in distance on the pitching wedge. i kept thinking about you guys and what i would tell you and all that kept coming up was "responsive". if i had to describe what i felt it would be that, responsive. i was hoping to see my ball flight lowered....check! i was hoping to pick up a little distance.......check! and there's no doubt about it, by lowering my ball flight, i seem to be much more accurate.

does this mean that i hit every green today? nope, does this mean that i successfully fired at every pin? nope. but i feel that with a some more time and some more practice i'll be very, very confident over the ball. i did win closest to the pin today on #17. it was playing 164 to the hole, i hit an 8 iron, and never would i have hit an 8 iron from that distance until now. 3'8'' later and i was writing my name on that little card next to the green.......haha.

i kept thinking about all of you that have been asking questions concerning whether or not your swing or your game is ready for upgraded shafts, and i have to say yes. they aren't magic wands, they don't make you drop 2-3 strokes, nor do they make you hit more gir's, immediately, but i have no doubts that with a little hard work and more practice and more "getting use to", they'll help me lower my scores. i guess i would just recommend having your clubs optimized to you and your game, and shafts are an integral part of that optimization.

i will continue to practice, play and report my findings. i must say that i'm very pleased and i can't wait to continue this wonderful journey.

OK, time for some pics:

37286_408090483426_537878426_4314995_8066626_n.jpg

37286_408090498426_537878426_4314997_3338813_n.jpg

37286_408090503426_537878426_4314998_6183700_n.jpg

37286_408090493426_537878426_4314996_7799748_n.jpg

sounds like the early returns are good. Nice write up TC. I know you said it worked out nice for PW, obviously for the 8 iron(great shot by the way). How did they feel on your 4 or 5 iron? Did you see the same ammount of difference that you did with the higher lofted clubs?

Glad to hear they're doing their job. There's no better feeling than gaining accuracy and distance at the same time. I hope it doesn't mess up your bag's gaps. I guess Callaway's uniflex are a good start for the set but nothing works better than something fit for your swing.

P.S. It is weird to look at that picture of your club at address and see it pointing the opposite direction. :)

sounds like the early returns are good. Nice write up TC. I know you said it worked out nice for PW, obviously for the 8 iron(great shot by the way). How did they feel on your 4 or 5 iron? Did you see the same ammount of difference that you did with the higher lofted clubs?

haha, i guess i was a bit antsy to post and forgot the best part of my range/round. so, on this range there's a flag at 200 out, confirmed by rangefinder. i've always used my 4 iron for a 200 yard shot...until today. 5 iron all over it in practice session this morning. the ball just doesn't get up so high and get affected by wind like it always has for me.

then on number 18, par 5, i hit a good drive and had 218 to the front of the green, 238 to the back (pin was tucked back left). i hit my 4 iron (i only went for it b/c it was a scramble format) and it hit right in the middle of the green. i'm just not use to being able to do that......period.

haha, i guess i was a bit antsy to post and forgot the best part of my range/round. so, on this range there's a flag at 200 out, confirmed by rangefinder. i've always used my 4 iron for a 200 yard shot...until today. 5 iron all over it in practice session this morning. the ball just doesn't get up so high and get affected by wind like it always has for me.

then on number 18, par 5, i hit a good drive and had 218 to the front of the green, 238 to the back (pin was tucked back left). i hit my 4 iron (i only went for it b/c it was a scramble format) and it hit right in the middle of the green. i'm just not use to being able to do that......period.

Now that makes it even sweeter...

thats one hell of a shot! congrats on the new shafts!

Glad to hear they're doing their job. There's no better feeling than gaining accuracy and distance at the same time. I hope it doesn't mess up your bag's gaps. I guess Callaway's uniflex are a good start for the set but nothing works better than something fit for your swing.

P.S. It is weird to look at that picture of your club at address and see it pointing the opposite direction. :)

thanks dirt. i did notice a bit of a gap today but it's something that can be fixed with some practice. i had a shot where i was 95 yards out, which is a bit too much for my gap wedge, and a little too short for my pitching wedge. i tried to get on the gap wedge and pushed it left. i can choke up on the pw, and take a little off for that yardage but i'll just need to get reacquainted with it.

thats one hell of a shot! congrats on the new shafts!

thanks man! like my old man says, "sun shines on a dog's arse every now and then". haha.

Good stuff TC, sounds like some great shot and thats only the beginning. After reading your results I keep coming back to a couple of questions about the lower flight. Do you expect to see problems holding the green while coming in that much lower? My standard shafts are real high flyer's, but after getting used to say a six iron doing the 165 range because of the higher flight and say 100 yards for my gap, I'm leary of coming in low and not sticking the green. Also, do you notice any difference in the feel to your hands hitting the ball? Are they as smooth as before or do you think you are feeling the ball better?

Great news TC!!! Glad the new shafts are helping and getting you those increased distances

great stuff TC! hope it keeps getting better for ya!

Good stuff TC, sounds like some great shot and thats only the beginning. After reading your results I keep coming back to a couple of questions about the lower flight. Do you expect to see problems holding the green while coming in that much lower? My standard shafts are real high flyer's, but after getting used to say a six iron doing the 165 range because of the higher flight and say 100 yards for my gap, I'm leary of coming in low and not sticking the green. Also, do you notice any difference in the feel to your hands hitting the ball? Are they as smooth as before or do you think you are feeling the ball better?

awesome questions duey, sorry it's taken me a bit to reply, i've been entertaining the fil and foster out in the yard and i have to put junior to bed any minute now. at first i was nervous about the same exact thing. when i say lowering ball flight, it's not like i'm hitting line drives now. i can tell that it's a good bit lower, but that's precisely what i was looking for. the greens i played on today were poana, the were rolling about a 10 on the stimp and we hard. i found no issues what so ever getting the ball to stick. i saw a lot of big hops then stops but that was just due to course conditions i'm sure.

as for question #2, yes, i feel the ball much better. i wanted to convey this message in an earlier post when i was referring to "responsiveness", b/c it was both with the ball and in the hands. i tell you what's really nice is being able to take a little more club, putting the ball back in the stance and hitting proper, low flying punch shots. i had a ball hitting those on the range.

Man it sounds like you found golf heaven! After reading this Im sure more then a few of us are considering a shaft upgrade!

It's great to hear that those shafts are working so well for you TC! I can't wait to hear more feedback as time goes on! I hope the good times continue for you! Keep up the great work!

Great TC, just what I'd hoped to hear, I think. Your input could cost me a pile, lol.

no doubt, but maybe True Temper will want to sponser all of THP! :act-up:

Reading this thread really really makes me want to get properly fit for my iron shafts(DG S300). Right now I hit them crazy high, that playing in the wind is pretty impossible for me.

I am happy for your LC!!!!!! Sounds like you got the right engine for the right car :eek:)... Great Write up and review. Looking forward to seeing those dawgs bark in play! Have a great day..

Old Gray

Last edited:
Back