Trying to Break 100

Hey all. Just doing a drive-by check-in. Last few rounds have been in the 90s or better, with the exception of a tough West course at Firestone. Still hitting it short, still cheating when I feel like it. Not much else going on.

Keep up the good work.
I don't how short is short for you. But I noticed a decline in my distance and it wasn't gradual. Like one year to the next I'm 25 yards shorter. So that made me think its not as much my age as it is a change in my swing.

Don't know if this will help for you. But after seeing a few tips on facebook, there was one that did make a difference with the driver. When you turn your shoulders on the backswing, try holding them closed as long as you can during the downswing.

I started doing that and the top tracer simulator showed an increase in ball speed from mid 120's to mid 130's. Hitting a few around 240. Before I made that change I was struggling to hit 220. A number of times it was barely 200. I also had a problem with popping up the driver where it looked like a 9 iron shot. It didn't do it once when I kept the shoulders closed longer.

No posts since Aug 4...
This makes me sad.

Or...maybe all the THPers are routinely breaking 100 now! Nice!

No posts since Aug 4...
This makes me sad.

I’m happy to report I’m now consistently breaking 100!! Kinda stuck in that 95ish range at the moment.

I usually only play 9 holes, so nothing to report. I may play a par 70 or more only a few times a year. Probably why I still can’t break 100.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've started shooting consistently in the high 90s. A good round is low 90s, a bad round is like 100-103.

And knock on wood, but I think I am about to go lower. One of my ongoing problems since I started 3 years ago has been a flip release. It leads to ballooning irons on days where I can time it and skulls on the days I don't. And chipping, yeesh. I just power-putt the ball most of the time.

For a couple weeks, I've hit punch shots and chips on the driving range trying to figure out how to deloft the club. And I think I've got it now. I keep both elbows together (the old "triangle" or "beach ball" drill), and have both elbows beat the clubhead to the ball.

Most people will say "hands beat clubhead to the ball", but I found that you can still slap the hell out of that right hand on the way down and catch the clubhead back up. This feel seems to lock the wrists a little more for me. It's the same concept, just a different swing thought.

Time to take it to the executive courses with some short irons, and see if it works there.

No posts since Aug 4...
This makes me sad.

Or maybe weather is so bad people can't play.

I’m happy to report I’m now consistently breaking 100!! Kinda stuck in that 95ish range at the moment.
This is me. Unless it’s a bad day I’m breaking 100, but stuck in that 95 range. 3 putts, a botched chip here and there, and the big miss with Driver at least once a round get me.

I've started shooting consistently in the high 90s. A good round is low 90s, a bad round is like 100-103.

And knock on wood, but I think I am about to go lower. One of my ongoing problems since I started 3 years ago has been a flip release. It leads to ballooning irons on days where I can time it and skulls on the days I don't. And chipping, yeesh. I just power-putt the ball most of the time.

For a couple weeks, I've hit punch shots and chips on the driving range trying to figure out how to deloft the club. And I think I've got it now. I keep both elbows together (the old "triangle" or "beach ball" drill), and have both elbows beat the clubhead to the ball.

Most people will say "hands beat clubhead to the ball", but I found that you can still slap the hell out of that right hand on the way down and catch the clubhead back up. This feel seems to lock the wrists a little more for me. It's the same concept, just a different swing thought.

Time to take it to the executive courses with some short irons, and see if it works there.
That's a good drill and a good thought. Martin Chuck (Tour Striker golf) makes a great practice aid:
1698598214942.png1698598235914.png
It's expensive but really works well. Might be able to score a decent price on eBay. Lot's of pros use this to practice (that's a close-up of Justin Rose from the Tour Striker site)

Here is a cheap knock-off

And if you want to improve your chipping: This thread will help

Odd day today. I played my usual Sunday 9 but for some reason I couldn’t get going. So after playing like garbage for 7 holes I hit bad tee shots on both 8 and 9 only to recover and par both (par 3).

It’s frustrating when you can’t figure out WHY you’re not playing well. I’d like to say it was because we started an hour earlier than normal (8:20) and the grass was still really wet from morning dew, but I don’t really think that was it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No posts since Aug 4...
This makes me sad.

I've just not been posting much.

Have you been playing much?

Have you been playing much?
Played pretty much every weekend up until three weeks ago, or so. The game has gone straight down the tubes. In all transparency, I'm still putting well, and the 40-and-in game is ok, but everything else has just left, including my pleasure in playing. Maybe I'm being histrionic, but, besides my putter and chipper, I hate every club I own, I hate my inability to simply hit a ball, I hate my s**t swing. I've got a lesson booked at GolfTec Thursday that I bought last year, but, I'm not expecting it to do much.

Played pretty much every weekend up until three weeks ago, or so. The game has gone straight down the tubes. In all transparency, I'm still putting well, and the 40-and-in game is ok, but everything else has just left, including my pleasure in playing. Maybe I'm being histrionic, but, besides my putter and chipper, I hate every club I own, I hate my inability to simply hit a ball, I hate my s**t swing. I've got a lesson booked at GolfTec Thursday that I bought last year, but, I'm not expecting it to do much.
Sorry to hear about the struggles hopefully the GolfTec lesson will give you some things to work on and get your enjoyment back to where it has previously been.

For me the driver, short wedges and putter are not the problem. Its everything in between. But it has gotten better since I swapped out the irons for more lofted woods. The 7, 9 and 11 woods have made a big difference. And switching to the senior the tees. Still don't get many greens in regulation but much closer than with the irons.

Over the years I have grown accustomed to just playing around 100. I make good shots, and some not so good shots during a round. Sometimes I like to think I played better than my scorecard reveals. Having fun, and not taking it too serious has been my montra as of late...

I was hoping these days were behind me, but I managed to shoot 110 today. Though I didn’t expect to break 100, 105 did not seem unreasonable. Let’s just say I had nothing. 51 on the easy front 9 followed by 59 on the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The high 90s streak has continued. I shot 96 last Saturday and 98 last Sunday. Yesterday I played an 18 hole exec course, where I double-bogeyed hole 1 (stroke index 1), and shot no worse than bogey from there on out.

I am doing a good job of keeping the lid on my scores, and now have enough all-around golf skills to navigate bad situations and prevent blowups. But I need to be sharper to start turning bogeys into pars.

The high 90s streak has continued. I shot 96 last Saturday and 98 last Sunday. Yesterday I played an 18 hole exec course, where I double-bogeyed hole 1 (stroke index 1), and shot no worse than bogey from there on out.

I am doing a good job of keeping the lid on my scores, and now have enough all-around golf skills to navigate bad situations and prevent blowups. But I need to be sharper to start turning bogeys into pars.

Played that same exec course today. Makes that zero doubles over 18 holes. :cool:

Granted, I was playing solo, and it was just a practice round, but I finally broke 100 at a course that I normally shoot 105 or higher on.

Shot a 94 today. And even though I got rained on for a couple of holes conditions were great. There was no one ahead of me or behind the whole round. So I finished in under 3 hours.

It’s easy to get in a rhythm when there is no waiting. So I imagine my score would have been a bit higher if I was in a foursome and had to wait at most holes. Even so, it felt great to actually execute and work my way around the course without the usual blowup holes.

AND - I am officially on vacation until January 2nd. Merry Christmas .

06c16c35b7b9848d955ad903b18de55e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back