Trying to Break 100

I blew up again on one of my nemesis courses yesterday. 100++. I don’t know if I am really that bad or it’s just a course that doesn’t suit my game, but I was effectively done after hole #3.

That’s going to be my test this summer, to try to shoot below 100 on that course consistently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went 50-50 =100 today on a tough course I’d never played before. The new driver helped. Still didn’t hit many fw’s but they were at least playable. Couldn’t hit irons because my hand/finger is killing me. Pretty sure I broke it at some point and it never healed correctly. By the end of the round I could barely grip a club and was just trying to hit 100yd chip shots with irons to keep it in play. Short game and putting was pretty good which is the only reason the score wasn’t higher. If I could’ve hit an iron I may have actually broken 90

No on the fast swing, not from next to the green. I have read club head speed is where the spin comes from, but I'm too chicken $#*! to swing hard next to a green.

I'm not sure what Phil does - other than hit impossible shots - but as much as possible I try to hinge my wrists on most short game shots. The closer the landing target, the less the backswing. It's a feel, but sometimes it's almost like letting the club head drop with very slow hands/arms.

Yes on opening up the face, but I haven't had a lot of success using that with my 56° sand wedge - maybe because of the bounce???? When I carried the 60° lob wedge, I could occasionally pull off a flop - meaning I could get the height and distance I was looking for form an almost full swing. But even on many of those, there was often more roll out than I thought there should be.

Do what Kisner teaches. It's simple and pretty dang effective, and doesn't rely on spinning the ball a crazy amount. (A lot of players & coaches do this, with small modifications).

Others have mentioned this too: to hit it low & get it rolling, ball is back in the stance. To hit it higher, ball is forward. But keeping the grip end pointing to the belt buckle/middle of chest really helps on those short greenside shots (whether you call them pitches or chips)

45 holes played this weekend.
Thoughts:
I am a better player now than before my lessons.
The FW is going to be a good club for me.
My poor shots are becoming less poor in overall quality.
I am hitting more solid shots now.

Some nips and tucks in the game and I will be playing in the 90‘s consistently, and aiming for the 80’s.

Great to hear this!
And I am willing to help with Dave's point on frequency of play.

...Because I can't control spin with my chips and pitches, I often land short of the fringe and let the ball run out - a technique I'm somewhat competent with. But that was never going to happen today with the grass so high. The short game cost me a lot of strokes... which it could be argued not hitting greens with my approach shots cost me a lot of strokes...

All the talk about spinning the ball on short shots reminded me of one of my favorite golf stories - I believe Harvey Penick told this. A high handicap golfer asked Penick (or Jackie Burke, or some other old-time, all-time great) if he could teach him to spin the ball on his shots. The pro asked him. "When you miss approach shots, are you short or long?"

"Almost always short" was the reply. "Then why would you want to spin the ball?" [insert rim shot here]

Great to hear this!
And I am willing to help with Dave's point on frequency of play.
Sweet. We'll need to figure out some good days to play. This week had some steps backward in certain facets , but also some steps forward in other facets.

I blew up again on one of my nemesis courses yesterday. 100++. I don’t know if I am really that bad or it’s just a course that doesn’t suit my game, but I was effectively done after hole #3.

That’s going to be my test this summer, to try to shoot below 100 on that course consistently.

Do you see the same parts of the game going south on this course, or is it just a random glitch here and there that tanks the score?

Lot of range work this weekend...still going heavy on the new swing thoughts/changes and heavy on irons. Also played nine on an executive course...started off lousy...overthinking the swing with the work I've put in. On a par 30 front nine, I shot a 41. 7 bogeys and 2 doubles. The course wasn't ideal conditions as we had some flooding this last week in the area...but allowed me to apply the work I'm putting in to a "live" scenario.

After playing nine, the back was waaaaay overcrowded so we went back to the clubhouse and they let us each have a bucket of balls in exchange for not playing the back side. So I helped my buddy a bit (he makes some good contact, but only on reaaaaally light swings - gets no power...I hit my 6 iron as far as he hits his driver....). Got home and had no more chores to do so I decided I'd go to the range again :) Since I was more focused on watching my friend and trying to help him get something more out of the driver (not that I'm an expert...but like he said..."Those that can't do, coach") I went to a range close to home, bought a large bucket, a beer, and went off to a spot by myself with my earbuds in. Had a lot of good and bad...but I can see the work is starting to pay off. I just keep forcing the new swing...regardless of results...I want to be sure I'm not reverting to the old swing....just trying to force the new ideas into habit/muscle memory. When I hit it pure, it's awesome. When I shank one...I just try to shake it off, reset, take a sip of the beer...and go again.

I ended the session yesterday with some wedge work...aiming at some smaller targets. Felt mostly good about the results there....I hit the target a couple times and 80% of the rest of the shots landed in a good grouping around the target. The rest were just so-so...but wouldn't have killed me on the course.

Anyway...still plugging away...I think I'm going to focus a lot more on practice/range the next 2-3 weeks than playing actual rounds...try to keep the momentum going.

The small local course I play often (it's just nine holes, but a par 36)...I have a nemesis hole. It's a par 3 that's about 200 yards. So it's an "off" distance for me....I'm not really gonna reach that with an iron, so I usually will hit a 5W or maybe even a 3W depending on how I'm feeling. The tee box sits up high, then the hole immediately drops way down a pretty steep slope into a valley before rising way up an equally steep slope to a green that sits roughly as high as the tee box. So visually...it's a little intimidating. To the left, there are a few large trees on the upslope. To the right...you can't miss by much...deep, deep wooded area...you push it too far and your ball is gone.

I'd have to try and look thru the rounds I've got recorded on SwingU to be 100% sure, but I don't think I've ever parred it (I think if I had, I'd remember). If you don't hit the ball with good loft...you're going straight into the upslope, then hitting a wedge shot at a steep angle uphill, which is easy to blow (especially with sand to both sides of the green). If you blow that, you're hitting your third shot onto the green, then praying for a one-putt.

Anyway...all that to say...I don't have a nemesis course, but that hole is my sworn enemy and I think anymore it's just a mental game...I don't go into that hole with great confidence. I would say my average score on it in the last 3-4 years is a 4.5.....

Lot of range work this weekend...still going heavy on the new swing thoughts/changes and heavy on irons. Also played nine on an executive course...started off lousy...overthinking the swing with the work I've put in. On a par 30 front nine, I shot a 41. 7 bogeys and 2 doubles. The course wasn't ideal conditions as we had some flooding this last week in the area...but allowed me to apply the work I'm putting in to a "live" scenario.

After playing nine, the back was waaaaay overcrowded so we went back to the clubhouse and they let us each have a bucket of balls in exchange for not playing the back side. So I helped my buddy a bit (he makes some good contact, but only on reaaaaally light swings - gets no power...I hit my 6 iron as far as he hits his driver....). Got home and had no more chores to do so I decided I'd go to the range again :) Since I was more focused on watching my friend and trying to help him get something more out of the driver (not that I'm an expert...but like he said..."Those that can't do, coach") I went to a range close to home, bought a large bucket, a beer, and went off to a spot by myself with my earbuds in. Had a lot of good and bad...but I can see the work is starting to pay off. I just keep forcing the new swing...regardless of results...I want to be sure I'm not reverting to the old swing....just trying to force the new ideas into habit/muscle memory. When I hit it pure, it's awesome. When I shank one...I just try to shake it off, reset, take a sip of the beer...and go again.

I ended the session yesterday with some wedge work...aiming at some smaller targets. Felt mostly good about the results there....I hit the target a couple times and 80% of the rest of the shots landed in a good grouping around the target. The rest were just so-so...but wouldn't have killed me on the course.

Anyway...still plugging away...I think I'm going to focus a lot more on practice/range the next 2-3 weeks than playing actual rounds...try to keep the momentum going.
Focus. Commitment. Sticking to the plan you have developed. This is the mindset that will take you to your best golf.
Your old swing will fight tooth and nail to stay. Just keep at it.

Do you see the same parts of the game going south on this course, or is it just a random glitch here and there that tanks the score?

Hard to say. This course is basically in and around a river bed. So most tee boxes are elevated with the fairway below literally in the riverbed slanting left to right. The greens are usually elevated so you hit off the tee - down into the riverbed the approach is one or two shots along the river bed, then up to an elevated green. It's a weird layout.

Basically everything slants down to the right, which is tougher if you fade/slice your tee shots. That and the elevated greens make it really rough.

The small local course I play often (it's just nine holes, but a par 36)...I have a nemesis hole. It's a par 3 that's about 200 yards. So it's an "off" distance for me....I'm not really gonna reach that with an iron, so I usually will hit a 5W or maybe even a 3W depending on how I'm feeling. The tee box sits up high, then the hole immediately drops way down a pretty steep slope into a valley before rising way up an equally steep slope to a green that sits roughly as high as the tee box. So visually...it's a little intimidating. To the left, there are a few large trees on the upslope. To the right...you can't miss by much...deep, deep wooded area...you push it too far and your ball is gone.

I'd have to try and look thru the rounds I've got recorded on SwingU to be 100% sure, but I don't think I've ever parred it (I think if I had, I'd remember). If you don't hit the ball with good loft...you're going straight into the upslope, then hitting a wedge shot at a steep angle uphill, which is easy to blow (especially with sand to both sides of the green). If you blow that, you're hitting your third shot onto the green, then praying for a one-putt.

Anyway...all that to say...I don't have a nemesis course, but that hole is my sworn enemy and I think anymore it's just a mental game...I don't go into that hole with great confidence. I would say my average score on it in the last 3-4 years is a 4.5.....
Which course is that?

Hard to say. This course is basically in and around a river bed. So most tee boxes are elevated with the fairway below literally in the riverbed slanting left to right. The greens are usually elevated so you hit off the tee - down into the riverbed the approach is one or two shots along the river bed, then up to an elevated green. It's a weird layout.

Basically everything slants down to the right, which is tougher if you fade/slice your tee shots. That and the elevated greens make it really rough.
Eeek. Sounds like a course I'd not want to play. I recommend avoiding it. Pick your battles, and such.

My local course is my absolute toughest course in the area. 7 of the 9 holes have water obstacles and up and down hills with high elevated greens that are super small. I consider myself fortunate if I score mid 90s there. Normally I borderline 100. It is a total dog. The first hole is a Par 5 where the second shot is over water.

If you land too far back when you drive you take a safety shot, too far forward you are rolling in the water. I was watching folks hit the second shot the other day and I would say about 50 - 60% of the second shots went in the drink.

Some folks cannot get a ball over the water, they just go around and drop on the other side of the pond. If you get across the pond with the second shot the third shot is uphill to a high green. The bad thing is the next hole is a Par 3 over another pond then the 3rd hole is a dogleg where you have to at least get around 200-210 yards to get a decent second shot.

The rumor that goes on around there is, "If you can play here and get a decent score you can play anywhere." I have learned that to be fairly accurate quote. Once I started playing here frequently my scores lowered greatly at other courses.

No question you will learn to use high lofted wedges here or you will be shooting back up on the greens. I am a member and some times I simply don't want to go there and play because it can be a grind. o_O

Which course is that?
I just noticed you're from Belton.... we should get a round in one of these days.

The course I mentioned above is Unity Village. Nothing fancy but a fun little course and usually easy to get on (and cheap). I have rarely needed a tee-time there. Mostly I like it because I don't have to plan ahead too much and can go play on a whim. I live close to Shamrock as well which isn't bad and not far from Longview/Arbanas.

Another course I like to hit up (which I played a lot back in the day - in my prior golf life) is Country Creek out south.

Walked 18 today.
Really enjoyed it. Early range work to dial in my recent bout with mishitting mid irons went fairly well.
On the course my iron play clicked a bit - was much improved compared to the last three rounds. Just a few lapses - but nothing catastrophic.

Instead today I had just enough errant tee shots and poor putts to spoil the scorecard. I'm good with it. The goal today was to find consistent ball striking with my irons and I feel like I'm 80% there on that mission.

I ended up at 103 today but the things that kept me from shooting mid-nineties are all easy fixes. I was at a loss for a few weeks trying to fix my iron play, so I feel confident now that I can get back on track with my trajectory of improvement.

Walked 18 today.
Really enjoyed it. Early range work to dial in my recent bout with mishitting mid irons went fairly well.
On the course my iron play clicked a bit - was much improved compared to the last three rounds. Just a few lapses - but nothing catastrophic.

Instead today I had just enough errant tee shots and poor putts to spoil the scorecard. I'm good with it. The goal today was to find consistent ball striking with my irons and I feel like I'm 80% there on that mission.

I ended up at 103 today but the things that kept me from shooting mid-nineties are all easy fixes. I was at a loss for a few weeks trying to fix my iron play, so I feel confident now that I can get back on track with my trajectory of improvement.
That's my focus right now as well...irons. Not sure I'm 80% there yet but I'm getting somewhere with it...slowly but surely.

I just noticed you're from Belton.... we should get a round in one of these days.

The course I mentioned above is Unity Village. Nothing fancy but a fun little course and usually easy to get on (and cheap). I have rarely needed a tee-time there. Mostly I like it because I don't have to plan ahead too much and can go play on a whim. I live close to Shamrock as well which isn't bad and not far from Longview/Arbanas.

Another course I like to hit up (which I played a lot back in the day - in my prior golf life) is Country Creek out south.
I would really like that. I've never played at Unity before. I have played Arbanas before, I actually walked 18 with Mr. Arbanas himself one time. It's been a long time since I've been there though.

I play Shamrock usually at least once a year and Country Creek is a favorite of mine too. I played Hoots Hollow there this past Saturday. Mostly though, I play Eagle's Landing in Belton.

Eeek. Sounds like a course I'd not want to play. I recommend avoiding it. Pick your battles, and such.

You're probably right, but being a glutton for punishment I want to try to prove that I can play better there.

B100 is on page 100!!!! That is a sign for you guys and gals. This will be the week for you to all break 100.

My local course is my absolute toughest course in the area. 7 of the 9 holes have water obstacles and up and down hills with high elevated greens that are super small. I consider myself fortunate if I score mid 90s there. Normally I borderline 100. It is a total dog. The first hole is a Par 5 where the second shot is over water.

If you land too far back when you drive you take a safety shot, too far forward you are rolling in the water. I was watching folks hit the second shot the other day and I would say about 50 - 60% of the second shots went in the drink.

Some folks cannot get a ball over the water, they just go around and drop on the other side of the pond. If you get across the pond with the second shot the third shot is uphill to a high green. The bad thing is the next hole is a Par 3 over another pond then the 3rd hole is a dogleg where you have to at least get around 200-210 yards to get a decent second shot.

The rumor that goes on around there is, "If you can play here and get a decent score you can play anywhere." I have learned that to be fairly accurate quote. Once I started playing here frequently my scores lowered greatly at other courses.

No question you will learn to use high lofted wedges here or you will be shooting back up on the greens. I am a member and some times I simply don't want to go there and play because it can be a grind. o_O
Yep, what you described sounds a lot like the course I played on Saturday. I also believe it will strengthen my game in general if I get better there. But it sure isn't a lot of fun.

I blame my weekend crappitiness on having a loose grip. No more! Firm grip is the only way for me now.

That's my focus right now as well...irons. Not sure I'm 80% there yet but I'm getting somewhere with it...slowly but surely.

When I'm not making good contact with irons the game gets un-fun pretty quickly for me. After a few rounds of that I had no choice but to focus on a fix.

Lots of half swings on the range today with a deliberate inside path helped get me dialed in some. On the course I kept the backswings short (closer to 3/4) with every iron shot so I could try to keep repeating that ball strike from the half swings on the range.
It worked today. fingers crossed it carries into the next round! If not, I'll be scheduling a lesson to sort it.

Keep at it, and good luck!

99 today, but should have been lower. Left 4 putts inches short. So frustrating to turn bogies into doubles. Funny thing is that I played the whole round with one ball. Just missed too many greens.

Back