Trying to Break 100

Relative to my usual groups of playing partners, my short game is among the best. Of course, I'm giving away at least one stroke per hole with having to take a third shot into the green versus a second.
Have you considered then, playing rounds of golf with 8-12 year old girls? :p (I kid...I kid....)

Who here is using a driver with some type of draw bias to it? What is your story?

I had been using a Mizuno ST190 that I picked up for quite cheap in the off season and I'm capable of hitting a playable fade with it, but if I hit it off the heel it goes hard right. It is a shame because I have been getting excellent ball speed with this driver. I worked to get my path straightened out on the range last night, but sure enough if I heel one it still goes way off to the right.

The course I play most doesn't have a lot of trees and is in a housing development area. All holes have OB at least on one side and most have OB both sides. The wind blows HARD here and is typically blowing such that it is a left-right or right-left wind. I can live with right-left wind, but when you combine a left-right wind and heel strike it is a big problem. It has gotten in my head and become a large issue for me. I feel screwed if I'm presented with a left-right wind and dead shanked my last 2 drives on Monday night and I think it was a direct cause-effect relationship of worrying about the wind.

I've had a K15 for years. For anyone who is not aware, the K15 is a cult favorite type driver. I think it was one of the first ones to hit the market that wants to go left, but does so without offset or a massively closed face. I have not measured it recently, but based off previous measurements the ball speed is not as high as the ST190. It goes mostly straight though and doesn't even go that far right on gear effect misses. I need straight drives in my life.

I feel like a fool for putting a 10 year old driver in my gamer bag, but if it works right? It is very difficult to justify any golf club expenditures now.

Dave

1.) I would be in third place in a long drive competition in the 8-12 year old girls class.
2.) If, a big if, I could generate another 10-15 yards per club, I think my score would drop a good deal.
3.) the former.
As the shortest hitter in 90% of the groups with whom I play, I've long been haunted by the spectre of "being away", LOL.

What about taking a hard look at the tee boxes? It is not fun for any of the following to be true:

1. Can't reach par 3s without using driver
2. Unable to get to par 4s in 2 shots
3. Par 5s require driver - long club - long club

Dave

Hamfist was hit into on the 9th green as the sun was going down from the direction of the practice green earlier this evening.

Rain held off tonight so I went to the range. It was super hot. I probably got too many range balls. And a beer. The last 12-15 balls I was exhausted and sweating my tail off. That said - I had another largely successful range session and I just realized the marker I thought was 150 yards is 175 and the the one I thought was 200 is 225. I’m interested to see my next live round how my distances are looking. I feel like I’m getting a little more length than I’m accustomed to, but we will see how it all translates. I’ll probably go play awful since I’m feeling good about my range sessions.

Had some dud shots in there as well but would say I had a largely pretty successful session. Pulled the driver again today for about 15 swings - had about 3 that were just bad but most felt good. Just trying to keep expectations in check and keep my brain out if my way when I play.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you considered then, playing rounds of golf with 8-12 year old girls? :p (I kid...I kid....)
Yes. (Single tear rolls down cheek.)

What about taking a hard look at the tee boxes? It is not fun for any of the following to be true:

1. Can't reach par 3s without using driver
2. Unable to get to par 4s in 2 shots
3. Par 5s require driver - long club - long club

Dave
Well, I normally play the “men’s tee”, and moving up just doesn’t feel right.
What I need to do is to find out how to hit a fershlugginer ball better.

Hamfist was hit into on the 9th green as the sun was going down from the direction of the practice green earlier this evening.
At least they had the good taste to try to dome me with a Callaway!

Who here is using a driver with some type of draw bias to it? What is your story?

I had been using a Mizuno ST190 that I picked up for quite cheap in the off season and I'm capable of hitting a playable fade with it, but if I hit it off the heel it goes hard right. It is a shame because I have been getting excellent ball speed with this driver. I worked to get my path straightened out on the range last night, but sure enough if I heel one it still goes way off to the right.

The course I play most doesn't have a lot of trees and is in a housing development area. All holes have OB at least on one side and most have OB both sides. The wind blows HARD here and is typically blowing such that it is a left-right or right-left wind. I can live with right-left wind, but when you combine a left-right wind and heel strike it is a big problem. It has gotten in my head and become a large issue for me. I feel screwed if I'm presented with a left-right wind and dead shanked my last 2 drives on Monday night and I think it was a direct cause-effect relationship of worrying about the wind.

I've had a K15 for years. For anyone who is not aware, the K15 is a cult favorite type driver. I think it was one of the first ones to hit the market that wants to go left, but does so without offset or a massively closed face. I have not measured it recently, but based off previous measurements the ball speed is not as high as the ST190. It goes mostly straight though and doesn't even go that far right on gear effect misses. I need straight drives in my life.

I feel like a fool for putting a 10 year old driver in my gamer bag, but if it works right? It is very difficult to justify any golf club expenditures now.

Dave

If it is the one that works, then it is the one that works.
My driver is set at 11.5 with a draw bias. I still slice it.
Its odd, because I was hitting a draw with it a few rounds ago, pretty consistently.

Walked nine at Ben‘s favorite course, shot a 52, with some decent shots, and some poop shots.
Ben threw a ball at me, and yelled “Merry Christmas” as he drove away.
Putter was cold. I’ve been very casual about reads this season, got to give it a bit more effort. I could have shaved 5-6 strokes off had I been a Serious Golfer.
Played fairly smart, tried the controlled swing, it seemed to help keep my misses less severe.
I‘m trying to be much more consistent wearing and using my ShotScope gizmo. Who thought having accurate yardages would lead to better club selection? Voodoo, I tells ya, voodoo.

Last edited:
Walked nine at Ben‘s favorite course, shot a 52, with some decent shots, and some poop shots.
Ben threw a ball at me, and yelled “Merry Christmas” as he drove away.
Putter was cold. I’ve been very casual about reads this season, got to give it a bit more effort. I could have shaved 5-6 strokes off had I been a Serious Golfer.
Played fairly smart, tried the controlled swing, it seemed to help keep my misses less severe.
I‘m trying to be much more consistent wearing and using my ShotScope gizmo. Who thought having accurate yardages would lead to better club selection? Voodoo, I tells ya, voodoo.

Good review for Shotscope? Been debating getting either that or Arccos at some point.

What’s the ease of use like?

Good review for Shotscope? Been debating getting either that or Arccos at some point.

What’s the ease of use like?

I have the V2, It's a bit bulky on the wrist, and the user interface on the app is a bit clunky in my opinion. As a GPS, it's solid, albeit a bit rudimentary. Shot tracking via the little sensors seems to be accurate. The V3 coming out looks to have a bunch of refinements to it. If I had to do it over again, price being close, I don't know if I'd go with an Arccos or a Garmin, or something similar. It works for what I want it to do, and I already shelled out the dough, so it stays. The tech for these types of things has really improved over the last few years, so, mine is probably a bit archaic.

I have the V2, It's a bit bulky on the wrist, and the user interface on the app is a bit clunky in my opinion. As a GPS, it's solid, albeit a bit rudimentary. Shot tracking via the little sensors seems to be accurate. The V3 coming out looks to have a bunch of refinements to it. If I had to do it over again, price being close, I don't know if I'd go with an Arccos or a Garmin, or something similar. It works for what I want it to do, and I already shelled out the dough, so it stays. The tech for these types of things has really improved over the last few years, so, mine is probably a bit archaic.

How do those sensors work. Does the software know it’s your 7 iron when you use that club, for example? I haven’t researched the tech much. But does each sensor get tagged as a specific club so when you pull that club the software knows?

How do those sensors work. Does the software know it’s your 7 iron when you use that club, for example? I haven’t researched the tech much. But does each sensor get tagged as a specific club so when you pull that club the software knows?

They have little sensors (about the size of a quarter and 1/8" thick) that screws into the butt end of each club. The watch then "reads" that sensor.

They have little sensors (about the size of a quarter and 1/8" thick) that screws into the butt end of each club. The watch then "reads" that sensor.
So they are programmed to the specific club then? You don't have to let the watch know that you are hitting a specific club? I guess I'm interested in the tech I just want to make sure I'm not adding a bunch of tedious steps to playing.

So when you screw that sensor into your driver...the watch forever knows - "he's hitting driver"

Rain held off tonight so I went to the range.
What range do you go to? I'm usually headed to the one in Peculiar. The owner is real nice and they are a bit cheaper than the one in Martin City.

I've got some time off tomorrow afternoon since I have to work tomorrow night, so I think I'll try to get 18 in at the local course. That or Hoot's Hollow again.

So they are programmed to the specific club then? You don't have to let the watch know that you are hitting a specific club? I guess I'm interested in the tech I just want to make sure I'm not adding a bunch of tedious steps to playing.

So when you screw that sensor into your driver...the watch forever knows - "he's hitting driver"
Yes. The sensors have ID on them "D" for driver, etc., and you just grab the club and it's all automatically done.

What range do you go to? I'm usually headed to the one in Peculiar. The owner is real nice and they are a bit cheaper than the one in Martin City.

I've got some time off tomorrow afternoon since I have to work tomorrow night, so I think I'll try to get 18 in at the local course. That or Hoot's Hollow again.

For ease of use, I go to Shamrock a lot...I bought a house in Greenwood a year ago and it's right down the road. Only problem is they sometimes run of out of balls. I used to go to Arbanas a LOT as I lived over that way...and love the practice chipping/pitching green area there.

Funny you mention Peculiar...I grew up in Raymore and went to Raymore-Peculiar...was googling looking for driving range options the other day and came across that one. I have been out there twice now in the last week or so. I like it quite a bit. It's about 15-20 minute drive for me but not bad...good pricing, the owner is nice, and it's a fun setup. I had no idea they'd been there for 15 years! I think I was out there last Saturday and Sunday both. I like that they have some late weekend hours, too...

Yes. The sensors have ID on them "D" for driver, etc., and you just grab the club and it's all automatically done.
That's what I assumed. But wasn't 100 percent sure. Sounds easy enough and pretty non-intrusive on the flow of the game.

That or Hoot's Hollow again.
Also - I have only played Hoot's one time...last summer I think? Before the shoulder injury. I enjoyed it...got a birdie on 18!

I used to play out there at Country Creek (like 20 years ago) every weekend with a couple friends...that was back when it was just the Rock and Quarry courses. Hoot's Hollow went in while I was on my golf hiatus. I always liked the Quarry, but I guess they did away with the front nine and now it's just a nine-hole, correct?

Also - I have only played Hoot's one time...last summer I think? Before the shoulder injury. I enjoyed it...got a birdie on 18!

I used to play out there at Country Creek (like 20 years ago) every weekend with a couple friends...that was back when it was just the Rock and Quarry courses. Hoot's Hollow went in while I was on my golf hiatus. I always liked the Quarry, but I guess they did away with the front nine and now it's just a nine-hole, correct?
I couldn't tell you, I've played the Rock or Quarry once since they removed the 9 across the road. That was several years ago and that day the greens were in horrible shape. Bare areas on all of them. I only play Hoot's out there anymore. I just like the layout better.

When did Shamrock get a driving range?
EDIT: Never mind. I remember now that they have a small range with limited flight balls don't they?

I would really like that. I've never played at Unity before. I have played Arbanas before, I actually walked 18 with Mr. Arbanas himself one time. It's been a long time since I've been there though.

I play Shamrock usually at least once a year and Country Creek is a favorite of mine too. I played Hoots Hollow there this past Saturday. Mostly though, I play Eagle's Landing in Belton.
I just noticed this reply, by the way - sorry about that. We will have to work out a tee time sometime soon! Unity is a fun little course, and I noticed last year they really were working on getting it in shape. It's a lot greener this year...the rough is THICK...tough stuff. Like I said...it's got a couple of tricky holes...the par 3 is one that always kicks me in the nards. Hole 1-2 are straight forward...3 is the par 3...4 is a pretty straight forward par 4, 5 is a par 5 with a fairway that you're trying to hit up hill on....then it dips down and bends right as it rises back up again to the green. Next hole is pretty straight forward. Then 7 and 8 are both pretty gnarly doglegs...7 turns right (a good drive in the fairway and you're sitting okay) and 8 takes a HARD left turn...you have to kind of hit into the bend and then go for the green from there. 9 is a short par 4 but from the tee box, there is a downhill into a "valley" and then goes back up to fairway/green...last two times I have played, I've hit great tee shots on 9....leaving myself a 58 degree shot from the pin and have parred it last two times.

Anyway..that's the quick breakdown...I'm sure you could find a map/gps to look at. It's not a bad course for us 100 shooters..... :)

I have never played Eagles Landing. I haven't played the full Arbanas course in a while...but when I lived right there, was playing the par 3 a LOT.

I couldn't tell you, I've played the Rock or Quarry once since they removed the 9 across the road. That was several years ago and that day the greens were in horrible shape. Bare areas on all of them. I only play Hoot's out there anymore. I just like the layout better.

When did Shamrock get a driving range?
EDIT: Never mind. I remember now that they have a small range with limited flight balls don't they?
It's a small range but the balls fly pretty well...they are the plasticky type balls...but I was hitting the driver 220-ish last night with those...based on the 225 marker. I'm not sure how they react versus regular balls...but I just go to work on the swing...I can tell if I'm hitting them well or not. But seems like they do fly pretty normal. Like I know I was hitting the 4 iron around the 175 marker on good strokes.

That's what I assumed. But wasn't 100 percent sure. Sounds easy enough and pretty non-intrusive on the flow of the game.
After one round, you'll not even notice them.

After one round, you'll not even notice them.
Definitely intrigued....I will have to research this one vs. Arccos...I am guessing they are largely the same.

Back