Trying to Break 100

Played the Grande Dunes Resort Course Tuesday. Much more expensive than my usual courses, $60 a round. Everyone there was really nice and it wasn't crowded at all. Carts have GPS (first time for me) and are gas (also a first). They also have a pacer on the cart that tells you how many minutes you are ahead or behind the recommended pace. Although the parking lot was crowded the course was pretty open.

It's a long course for me 5300+ yards from the reds with WIDE fairways. I mean really wide, you could easily land a 747 on them if they were flat.. And they weren't flat, the front 9 wasn't too bad, but some of the holes on the back 9 had me looking to see if there were mountain goats or a Sherpa around. But if you like hitting bombs all day you will love this course.

The back 9 has 2 water carry holes (I made it over the water both times) and the greens weren't as good as the front ones. Ended with 112, which wasn't bad for me at that distance. Marshal was evident but not intrusive, we were always about 3 to 5 minutes ahead of pace. He did come up to us on the 12th hole to let us know that there was a fast twosome behind us and asked if we would let them play through.. We agreed and when they got to us they played through. Those guys could really play! Long bombs and precise wedge shots and accurate putts.

Highly recommend the course and will play it again, but at that price it won't be often.
Sounds like a really nice course and you had fun, all that matters.

Back in the 100's today with a 54/50. I started off well with 4 straight bogies and then the wheels fell off. The next 4 holes were quadruple bogey, double, triple, triple, double.

I was hitting my irons decent for the 3rd consecutive round and my driver was a little better today. FW woods were terrible and I just gave up on them completely in lieu of my 4i.

So somewhat disappointed in the round overall, but encouraged that I continue to make progress with my iron play.

Back in the 100's today with a 54/50. I started off well with 4 straight bogies and then the wheels fell off. The next 4 holes were quadruple bogey, double, triple, triple, double.

I was hitting my irons decent for the 3rd consecutive round and my driver was a little better today. FW woods were terrible and I just gave up on them completely in lieu of my 4i.

So somewhat disappointed in the round overall, but encouraged that I continue to make progress with my iron play.

Where’d you play??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Played 9 this morning. Started on the back 9. Was going for 18 but it was hot and humid and my ankle started twinging on the 16th hole and gave out on the 17th hole. Good thing the 18th was a Par 3. Played Myrtle Beach National West. Another course with wide fairways, but some severe doglegs. Ended the 9 holes with a 50, not bad for my wonky ankle.

Hamfist shot like 97 or 98. I hit like 50 trees and shot 78 or 79

Ok. So it was a shorter course, 5300 +/- . Nothing too brutal, design-wise. I was keeping my mind on playing smart, keeping the ball out of trouble, and playing for bogey golf. I had a lot of respectable shots, a few stinkers, and some dumb luck. Ben had some big hits, some sweet shots, and some bad luck. He would have shot even par had he listened to his caddy.

5800 though I think

5800 though I think
My majesty level just went up 39 points.

I used the “Both feet together right at the ball, then, move the left foot as needed, then the right one as needed. It seemed to be a good set up tool, as I was making good contact with the ball.

With my recently adopted proper posture, after a couple holes of not great shots, I went back to my improper, super short back swing. And was getting some sweet feeling face/ball interaction. Just the feel of the ball coming from the middle of the face, no twisting from a toe hit or dead clunk from the heel was very very nice.

By gum, I will even claim the feeling of compressing the ball!

played 9 yesterday in some gnarly heat. Shot a 49 but a lot of dud shots. I had some nice drives, though and the putter helped a bit. My iron play was off. I think just fighting thru some swing changes is going to bring that frustration and bad rounds from time to time. Determined to just keep hitting though, until the kinks are worked out. Hit the 5 wood nicely off the tee a couple times...once on a longer par3 and once on a dogleg where I wanted to hit into the middle of the turn. Par3 came up just shy of the green...the dogleg hole I had perfect placement on (before going on to miss with my approach and leaving a looooong put with the next shot). Irons caught fire for a couple of short spells...on a par 5 had a nice drive and a couple nice shots on my way to bogey.
The score looks better than I played, believe me...I think I just got lucky that the bad shots would roll, etc, and pick up yardage. One bad shot for example - I pulled it and it hit the cart path and ran forever before kicking back into the rough. Just weird stuff like that. I would have thought the score was more in the 50s.

One thing I think I need to work on is just playing more...I'm doing a lot of good work at the range and I don't see it translate as much to the course...so....I think I am still not quite swinging as freely - trying to over-aim and over-guide the ball rather than letting the swing just "go". I think it's a mental thing...and I'll just need to get it together on that front. I also think I was pulling my head up a lot yesterday...I made a concerted effort and got hot for a couple holes...but then fell apart again. Heat probably didn't help (heat index was something like 104).

48/47 95 (24.3 diff) today at my home course. One of the better rounds this year. Hit 6 GIRs as I was able to flight some 9i shots and control distance better than I have previously with the new irons. Only one lost ball (on the last hole), a couple scrambles. No part of the game was terrible and I experienced good contact throughout the round with the full swing. Had a couple of blowup holes, but I'll accept those when the rest of my game is at bogey level.

I'm having to get used to the increased distance the irons provide. Finally trusting the swing enough to pull less club when it makes sense. My 8i distance used to be 130. Today, my "typical" 8i yardage was 150, lol. Realistically, my new number is 140 with that club.

Do what Kisner teaches. It's simple and pretty dang effective, and doesn't rely on spinning the ball a crazy amount. (A lot of players & coaches do this, with small modifications).

Others have mentioned this too: to hit it low & get it rolling, ball is back in the stance. To hit it higher, ball is forward. But keeping the grip end pointing to the belt buckle/middle of chest really helps on those short greenside shots (whether you call them pitches or chips)

Wanted to give a shoutout to @Grins for posting this video^^^^. I practiced it for the first time last night and gave it a try today on the course. I think it's a keeper. I still can't control rollout very well (played a Titleist TruSoft ball for 17 holes), but I hit better chips/pitches than I have in a while. Thank you and everyone else for the suggestions earlier in the week.

About 2 months ago I got paired up with some guys at the course. One was an older fella and another was a guy my age early 30s. Me and him walked the course that day and hit it off good. He plays from the tips and is a solid golfer, grew up playing high school and college. Even though we play on way different levels, we play well together. We play on the weekends together and during the week I play with the guys from work.

He has helped me with the minor details and ive hit the range hard working on my swing. He noticed my shoulders not squaring up and helped me tremendously on my short game 30 yards in.

I played this past Thursday and broke 100 for the first time. Everything clicked that day and shot a 91. It was a great feeling and still had some silly mistakes I made. Was hoping to get out today and hopefully go back to back under 100 but got dragged into work. Hopefully Wednesday I can get back out and see what I can poke around.

About 2 months ago I got paired up with some guys at the course. One was an older fella and another was a guy my age early 30s. Me and him walked the course that day and hit it off good. He plays from the tips and is a solid golfer, grew up playing high school and college. Even though we play on way different levels, we play well together. We play on the weekends together and during the week I play with the guys from work.

He has helped me with the minor details and ive hit the range hard working on my swing. He noticed my shoulders not squaring up and helped me tremendously on my short game 30 yards in.

I played this past Thursday and broke 100 for the first time. Everything clicked that day and shot a 91. It was a great feeling and still had some silly mistakes I made. Was hoping to get out today and hopefully go back to back under 100 but got dragged into work. Hopefully Wednesday I can get back out and see what I can poke around.
Great job!! And, you are quite fortunate in having a solid golfer be able to watch you swing on the course. Now buy your unofficial coach a beverage!

48/47 95 (24.3 diff) today at my home course. One of the better rounds this year. Hit 6 GIRs as I was able to flight some 9i shots and control distance better than I have previously with the new irons. Only one lost ball (on the last hole), a couple scrambles. No part of the game was terrible and I experienced good contact throughout the round with the full swing. Had a couple of blowup holes, but I'll accept those when the rest of my game is at bogey level.

I'm having to get used to the increased distance the irons provide. Finally trusting the swing enough to pull less club when it makes sense. My 8i distance used to be 130. Today, my "typical" 8i yardage was 150, lol. Realistically, my new number is 140 with that club.

Wanted to give a shoutout to @Grins for posting this video^^^^. I practiced it for the first time last night and gave it a try today on the course. I think it's a keeper. I still can't control rollout very well (played a Titleist TruSoft ball for 17 holes), but I hit better chips/pitches than I have in a while. Thank you and everyone else for the suggestions earlier in the week.
I'd seen this video at one point and forgotten about it...it does offer some great thoughts and technique...when I got to a point of shaving strokes off my game a couple years ago, I was HEAVILY practicing chips and putting and it is definitely a way to improve scores. And it decreases frustration...when you hit a great shot or two and are laying just off the green thinking, "If I can just chip on and knock in a putt, I'm looking at a par here..." and then you blow it and send your chip shot sliding across the green....

Kisner makes a good point in there somewhere (upon rewatching the video) about if he were just a regular joe and only able to practice one or two times a week he'd practice chipping.

What prompted me to really hit the wedges (and start carrying four wedges...PW, 50*, 54*, 58*) was because, while I did improve with my driver, I'm not a huge distance guy. If I can make up ground from 115 yards and in....that's a huge swing for me, if I'm being out driven by 15 to 40 yards.

And frankly, it's a huge part of the game for anyone. I recommend (HIGHLY) reading Dave Stockton's Unconscious Scoring...he's got a way of teaching that clicks for me and he writes in a way that makes the info interesting (not dry/boring).

SPent my Sunday trying to get ahead on a couple work projects...then got a little stir crazy and went to hit some balls early evening. Had some pretty solid results (still working heavy on irons). Realized about halfway thru I was not quite rotating like I wanted....so tried to fix that rotation back and then thru...definitely helped. I think recently maybe I got to a point where I got some comfortable with all the things I've been working on, that I probably have gotten a little TOO comfortable...and too lax. Thinking it's second nature, when I'm not quite to a point where I've made things second nature.

If that makes sense.

Anyway...the thing for me is to really be conscious of what I'm trying to do...without OVER thinking it and tightening up due to trying "too hard" to do what I want to do. That was another medium I found yesterday again...the "be aware" of what you're doing while also trying to stay loose...keeping grip light, keeping arms from tensing too much...etc.

Overall it was still a good session, but got a lot better as I started to make sure I was incorporating certain things.

I noticed my last nine holes I was struggling a bit around the green (which I had been doing well in that zone) and as you can see in my last post...I'm reminded of how much it helps to practice that part of the game...and will be incorporating that back into a practice routine. In fact...the last 15 balls or so yesterday, I just hit my 54 and 58 degree on kind of full swings at targets at the range (working on accuracy for shorter approach shots).

My biggest fails happen when I simply do not commit to the chip.

Not just the chip - you need to commit to every shot (y)

I should be practicing my short game, especially chipping as well. It's cost me a few strokes the last couple of times out. And it's something I can easily practice any time in my back yard.

I should be practicing my short game, especially chipping as well. It's cost me a few strokes the last couple of times out. And it's something I can easily practice any time in my back yard.
See my avatar for my response to this revelation.

definitely...I think the topic came up here somewhat recently but one thing I learned is you have to hit the ball...you still have to accelerate thru impact and control your distance on backswing, etc. If you bail out on the impact, the shot is going to do god knows what.

I think when this sunk in for me the most was watching a golf tourney a couple years ago...I can't remember who was hitting a chip in the tourney...but he swung on it...and it was a beautiful short little shot. The announcer said something about that being such a key to short game...that you have to have the guts to put the swing on it and just know it's not going far. Of course I went and gathered my wedges and went to the pitch/chip green and worked on that for an hour. You have to hit it and follow thru, etc. Now...I will go through an entire round of golf wussing out on chip shots and not committing...and then kick myself later. And that's just one of many reasons I'm still just hoping to break 100 every time I play :ROFLMAO:

definitely...I think the topic came up here somewhat recently but one thing I learned is you have to hit the ball...you still have to accelerate thru impact and control your distance on backswing, etc. If you bail out on the impact, the shot is going to do god knows what.

I think when this sunk in for me the most was watching a golf tourney a couple years ago...I can't remember who was hitting a chip in the tourney...but he swung on it...and it was a beautiful short little shot. The announcer said something about that being such a key to short game...that you have to have the guts to put the swing on it and just know it's not going far. Of course I went and gathered my wedges and went to the pitch/chip green and worked on that for an hour. You have to hit it and follow thru, etc. Now...I will go through an entire round of golf wussing out on chip shots and not committing...and then kick myself later. And that's just one of many reasons I'm still just hoping to break 100 every time I play :ROFLMAO:

Not sure I would say accelerate through impact on a chip so much as I would say just follow through (commit as you put it) with what you know will work. It really depends on the chip as far as how much you accelerate, but without commitment it normally doesn't end well.

I try to chip every day I can in my yard at 30-50 yards and 50-70 yards mostly with some around 100, but really trying to dial in the short game. I certainly have a ways to go, but all in all, I am very happy with the improvement. Right now the biggest thing that I need with chips is learning the right approach with the lie of the ball.

In my opinion there is a feel and smoothness in a good chip shot and simply takes work to build confidence. I know for me, I have really grown in my chipping game in a short time because I have worked extra hard on developing it which has also improved my confidence and I don't have to think so much about hitting.

Not sure I would say accelerate through impact on a chip so much as I would say just follow through (commit as you put it) with what you know will work. It really depends on the chip as far as how much you accelerate, but without commitment it normally doesn't end well.

I try to chip every day I can in my yard at 30-50 yards and 50-70 yards mostly with some around 100, but really trying to dial in the short game. I certainly have a ways to go, but all in all, I am very happy with the improvement. Right now the biggest thing that I need with chips is learning the right approach with the lie of the ball.

In my opinion there is a feel and smoothness in a good chip shot and simply takes work to build confidence. I know for me, I have really grown in my chipping game in a short time because I have worked extra hard on developing it which has also improved my confidence and I don't have to think so much about hitting.
I may have phrased that poorly...what I mean is...you can't slow down or "back off" your swing. You have to commit, and you have to swing. You don't have to put a full, hard swing on it...you just can't bail out on yourself.

I think mentally there is a "oh god I can't swing on this ball" freak out at times...if you're 20 yards away, it's hard to go ahead and pull the trigger on a swing, but if you're hitting, say, a 58 degree wedge, the ball is only going so far anyway. And if you do NOT swing the club...you're going to hit one of those weak shots that hops out of the grass and quickly dies.

The main phrase I took from that broadcast (I think it was Johnny Miller announcing) was don't be afraid to hit it. That's where I get in trouble in general, with golf...(with irons thru wedges) is trying to hard to aim/control my shot...rather than taking the swing and just throwing the clubhead at the ball and following thru...just let it go and hit the damn ball, already! :p

They were replaying the Memorial from 2012 yesterday, and when TW hit that flop shot, he took a full fast swing. Good example, I suppose.

They were replaying the Memorial from 2012 yesterday, and when TW hit that flop shot, he took a full fast swing. Good example, I suppose.
Right...good example for sure. Of course it depends on the shot you're playing, etc. But I think what it boils down to, and what Johnny Miller's point was, is don't skimp on the shot...don't quit on it, don't ease up...get your tempo and trust it.

Back