Trying to Break 100

I was discussing with my wife trying to figure out why I can average longer drives on the range and off my mat into the net and yet I get on the tee box at the course and most of the time my drives are a tad over 200 with some hitting 225 and once in a while I can get one out there around 250. I am way more conservative on the course and not hitting the same shot.

My last range session my drives were around 250 average. The last two days I have averaged around 240+ with the longest being around 275 into the net with swing speeds close to 100, but once I got on the course yesterday evening they were around 200-235 tops and it was easy to tell I was not swinging as fast nor was striking as pure.

She said something to me that seemed to help yesterday. She implied that I obviously can average longer drives and higher swing speeds on the mat and at the range. She said envision that you are hitting off the practice mat. See that in your mind. Make that picture in your mind from setup to ball strike. The mat or range is what you see in your mind and place the ball the same and position the same and swing the same.

First it was extremely hard to do, but I think after a while I might be able to do it. I was only able to achieve that mental picture a few times and I hit so much better, still not exactly the same, but I got all fairways mostly dead center with decent drives (not as long though) except one which was off left rough.

I think she is on to something. I remember years ago reading a story about a pro golfer (don't remember who) that said he paints a mental picture and simple rules out everything on the course and does not see it and hits to that mental picture in his mind.

Let's face it, it is a static ball, a swinging club, and yardage and nothing more, no matter what obstacle is there. We put the rest of it in our minds and that affects our hits.
That's where I wind up sometimes...like...I can go to the range and crush driver over and over. Again, and I think I mentioned this above somewhere, it's just that tightening up due to the actual round of golf "mattering" I think. Like I want to take that range work and go...okay...no reason I can't go shoot a 90 today....and with that thought in my head, comes some pressure. Even if I go out and just think I just want to hit some good shots today, I don't care what I shoot. There is still the competitive side that comes out, and makes you tighten up a bit because we are at a point of our games where it's not "second nature". Like I could go out to coach the soccer team I work with and run circles around these kids...but that came naturally to me. I can go out and shoot three pointers and turnaround jumpers all day with no practice because that sport came easy to me. I love baseball...but I'm a lousy hitter...and the fact that that doesn't come easy...it makes you sweat, it makes you nervous to fail. Same with golf for a lot of us I think. We aren't in the breaking 80 thread :) So clearly we're at a point where we are working on the basics, and trying to get it second nature enough to translate on the "field".

I am trying to get to where your wife is suggesting you go...visualize or pretend I'm at the range - I'm hitting to a yard a marker or just hitting into a vast field and I just want to see the ball fly. Some shots I'm good at doing that, some I'm not...and I tighten up and think "Oh man...if I don't blow this I can maybe hit a GIR" or so on.

With any repetition and practice...we can all get there, I think. Some will just have more mental hurdles than others, I think, along the way. As Chubbs told Happy...."find your happy place."

Find a target, say "Hit the ball to (insert target name)." to yourself, swing.

It's called "Golf Panther".

60% of the time, it works every time.

Find a target, say "Hit the ball to (insert target name)." to yourself, swing.

It's called "Golf Panther".

60% of the time, it works every time.

Played 9 this morning. Parred #1 and #9. Every hole in between was a mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Played 18 this afternoon after hitting about 30 range balls.

My entire focus was staying calm and utilizing a smooth tempo and a slightly shortened backswing.
Anytime I was in doubt about a distance, I clubbed up and hit it easy. I only pulled driver once however and opted for 3W off the tee most of the time because it felt good on the range warming up.
It all paid off with a 46/49- 95 round.

3 or 4 fatly struck approach shots and 3 bladed pitches kept it from "best round ever" territory.

In poetic fashion a thunderstorm swept just north of the course during holes 16 and 17. We paused under shelter as the lightning was a bit too close. When I rounded the slope of the fairway on 18 to set up the approach shot a rainbow appeared just west of the clubhouse.
Can't make this stuff up.
Epic day of golfing.

Played 18 this afternoon after hitting about 30 range balls.

My entire focus was staying calm and utilizing a smooth tempo and a slightly shortened backswing.
Anytime I was in doubt about a distance, I clubbed up and hit it easy. I only pulled driver once however and opted for 3W off the tee most of the time because it felt good on the range warming up.
It all paid off with a 46/49- 95 round.

3 or 4 fatly struck approach shots and 3 bladed pitches kept it from "best round ever" territory.

In poetic fashion a thunderstorm swept just north of the course during holes 16 and 17. We paused under shelter as the lightning was a bit too close. When I rounded the slope of the fairway on 18 to set up the approach shot a rainbow appeared just west of the clubhouse.
Can't make this stuff up.
Epic day of golfing.
That’s great! Making gains, playing well, and the universe gives you the “thumbs up” rainbow.

Did another casual nine this evening. Hit mostly irons, after the first hole. Still getting acquainted with the 919s, and the variety of shots showed it. Lots of “ok” shots, some nice ones, some real clunkers, and two blistered 7-irons. Found the sweet spot a few times, and when I did, wow, these sent sent the ball. One of the two blistered 7-irons went 140, according to my eyeballing. (do not mock my distances, thank you). Granted, it was the rarely seen nutted shot, but, it was 20 yards further than my average 7-iron. I’m sure it’s the confirmation bias kicking in, but, even badly hit shots go a nice distance. It’s odd, but awesome, when I feel the ball squishing off the face. Makes me feel all grown up.

I really like the course strategy/mental game aspect of golf from the standpoint of improving your scores. This from Rick Shiels is good:

It's easy to make these mistakes. Especially the negative thinking part. I recall somebody did some research showing the negative thoughts last about 8 times longer than positive thoughts. (Or maybe it was: most people have an 8:1 ratio of negative:positive thoughts?). It takes a lot more energy and attention to let go of negative thoughts.

Humans seem to be wired from an evolution point-of-view to look for bad things (avoid getting eaten by that predator). But it kills your golf game.

Mistake #1: Thinking negatively. First, you have to know where trouble is and plan around it. As far as thinking you're going to miss... which came first, the chicken or the egg. Do I play poorly because I'm thinking negatively, or am I thinking negatively because I play poorly? There have been plenty of rounds where I'm able to shake off or accept mistakes and continue with a positive attitude. Some rounds turn out well after a few mistakes. Other times, it doesn't matter. I'm playing poorly and no amount of positive attitude is going to make it any better. I disagree on how much this causes poor play.

Mistake #2: Not enough club. With the vast majority of the holes I play, a miss short is preferable to a miss long. Not only that, we pick the club that will deliver the closest to typical distance with decent contact, not your average distance and certainly not your 1 out of 10 center of face contact shots. It's not that hard. The reason there are more misses short is that we often make poor contact. That doesn't mean it's good strategy to pick a club based on the distance poor contact will bring.

That said, I've tried to play more club this year while swinging easier. The results have been mixed but overall, I might have been wrong about this for a long time.

Mistake #3: Too much loft on green side shots. When I don't have anything to hit over and have room for roll, I use the method he suggests. I also pull the putter from off the green more than most. I think he's right but my short game still sucks.

Mistake #4: Not reading putts. I'm not sure I've ever played with anyone who doesn't read greens for speed as well as break. I'm calling BS on this one.

Mistake #5: Not being able to forget the previous poor result. Same as mistake #1. It's easy to forget the really bad shots when they occur infrequently, but when you've 3 putted the last few holes, or your day is basically over due to excessive penalties, sometimes you just want to be done with the round and live to fight another day.

Other than #4, I think he's right. The thing is, I don't think he's ever played my level of golf. The guy may be passionate about helping folks improve, and I agree the mental game has some effect on performance. But the reality is that I score high because I lack ability. For some of us, very little of the mental side of the game will improve until we accept we don't have the skill to shoot lower scores. Frustration comes as a result of higher expectations instead of the understanding that 3 putts and hitting into trees is what we do.

One of the worse things I can do in golf is to shoot a good round and then expect it to carry over to the next.

My suggestion for the range is to warm up and then consider a simulated round -- pull clubs in a typical order you'd pull them on the course, hitting 10 7 irons in a row gets you into a groove that does not happen on the course and take your time!

If you groove the simulated round you'll probably groove the course.

Dave

My suggestion for the range is to warm up and then consider a simulated round -- pull clubs in a typical order you'd pull them on the course, hitting 10 7 irons in a row gets you into a groove that does not happen on the course and take your time!

Dave

So...the 5 stupid mistakes video...I like it. I went and played 9 tonight on a whim...been a week from hell at work, and I just logged off and decided to go play after working a couple of 10-11 hour days in a row.

The negative thinking tip from the video...about "thinking more positive" and finding things to be positive about. I did that. It may have worked some. I mostly did it off the tee...just sizing up the hole and telling myself "okay...you can miss either way here, so just go for it" or "you never miss left here, for whatever reason, so don't sweat it" and so on.

The other tip about playing too much loft on greenside shots...I do agree at times...other times I disagree with this. I did try to keep it low when I could and had a couple nice chips.

On to the good stuff....the Driver was in full effect tonight. I felt good warming up, so just rolled with it this time from tee 1 onward. Had some nice drives....the par 5 I pulled it left, which got me in trouble, BUT, I smashed a pretty good one distance wise. On holes 7 and 8, with the doglegs, I used the 3 wood and hit a couple nice drives. So...off the tee was good. Only really dud was on the par 3, but managed a bogey, nonetheless.

The good news...I am in love with these Cobra one lengths. I will say, I didn't have to pull the hybrids at all, this round...but used every iron in the bag, and LOVED them. Nice easy swings and these babies are forgiving, give me fantastic trajectory, great feel on good contact, and good distance. One hole for example...I knew from the range I was getting more distance on these...so a hole where I'd been going 5 iron - I pulled the 7. I just missed the GIR. Just a tiny bit right/tiny bit short (like a foot short...it hit the slope up to the raised green, kicked back and right). Still dialing in distance but JUST MISSED a few GIR's. I didn't have any GIR today...but was very close and was on in 3 a lot.

Short game kinda failed me with the change in bag setup...I pulled the lob wedge out, and felt a little lost at times. Carrying the Cobra PW and GW plus a 54 degree. Getting used to figuring out the GW in shorter situations, etc. The 54 I'm usually pretty good with but it failed me bad on the ninth hole.

Greens were wild...really fast. Even uphill. I had one 3 putt where I was on in 3 (just barely missed GIR again). It was uphill, steep...didn't put much on it, but rolled it like 3-4 feet past. Then coming back steep downhill, got scared to put anything on it, just tapped it because the greens were so damn fast...and left it like an inch short. 3 putt. Yuck.

So I played bogey golf with the exception of 2 doubles. But the last four holes, I was in like robotic bogey mode. On all 4 greens in 3 shots, and left long-ish putts right at hole height, leaving 1-2 footers for bogey. If I could do that all day, I'd be thrilled.

Big takeaway though....these new irons a beauties. I dont want to talk them up too much...as they will then be cursed by the golf gods and next time I'll shoot triple bogeys all day.

Gotta keep figuring out the hybrids as I know I'll need 'em....short game practice is needed. Other than that....just gotta keep working the irons, dialing in distance.

Very constructive round though...first time I'd gamed the Cobras. Moving in the right direction....

Dave

I did this for my range visit today. "Played" my entire home course on the range - driver, iron, then wedge, etc. I must say, it changed the way I approached my practice session. When it was time to hit driver, I would shrink the range to the size of the fairway and try to land the ball in a safe spot. It really helped me think about and concentrate on trying to make consistent shots. All in all, it was a great range session as I think I'm finally starting to find my swing.

I did this for my range visit today. "Played" my entire home course on the range - driver, iron, then wedge, etc. I must say, it changed the way I approached my practice session. When it was time to hit driver, I would shrink the range to the size of the fairway and try to land the ball in a safe spot. It really helped me think about and concentrate on trying to make consistent shots. All in all, it was a great range session as I think I'm finally starting to find my swing.
Sounds like a good session...I do this sometimes as well. But don't really visualize a particular course. I'll do something more like...Okay, this is a 430 yard hole. Hit driver. If driver goes 220-ish, I'll pull the next club and shoot for GIR. And when I get to the "pin" distance, reset and do another distance.

I only do that every so often, but I do believe it's a good way to practice. You're never going to stand on a course and hit 20 8 irons in succession :)

Other than that...I usually go in with a plan of clubs to work on. (Because there IS plenty to be said for repetition, too). I think the fact I went and hit the crap out of the Cobras since picking them up really paid off...I had really figured out the one length irons by the time I gamed them, and felt very comfortable on course. I really do think there is a lot to be said for the one length idea, and the familiarity of swinging "the same club" (essentially...in length anyway) over and over.

If I can get the hybrids figured out, I'll be golden. :)

I really may have to figure out a way to get the lob back in the bag though...or really work the heck out of the 54. I just got so used to carrying the 50-54-58 combo and the cobra GW replaces the 50 (which the 50 was almost always used from the fairway, anyway, like the GW will be...for approaches). But I liked the options of 54-58 for short approaches and greenside.

Sounds like a good session...I do this sometimes as well. But don't really visualize a particular course. I'll do something more like...Okay, this is a 430 yard hole. Hit driver. If driver goes 220-ish, I'll pull the next club and shoot for GIR. And when I get to the "pin" distance, reset and do another distance.

I only do that every so often, but I do believe it's a good way to practice. You're never going to stand on a course and hit 20 8 irons in succession :)

Other than that...I usually go in with a plan of clubs to work on. (Because there IS plenty to be said for repetition, too). I think the fact I went and hit the crap out of the Cobras since picking them up really paid off...I had really figured out the one length irons by the time I gamed them, and felt very comfortable on course. I really do think there is a lot to be said for the one length idea, and the familiarity of swinging "the same club" (essentially...in length anyway) over and over.

If I can get the hybrids figured out, I'll be golden. :)

I really may have to figure out a way to get the lob back in the bag though...or really work the heck out of the 54. I just got so used to carrying the 50-54-58 combo and the cobra GW replaces the 50 (which the 50 was almost always used from the fairway, anyway, like the GW will be...for approaches). But I liked the options of 54-58 for short approaches and greenside.

I've been thinking of switching to this wedge gapping. I currently have 52-56-60 in the bag, but the 60 rarely gets used. The 56 is my baby and any shot I would hit with the 60, I can hit with the 56. How much of a difference is the 2degrees on each wedge going to make?

Judging by the WITB the 18* 5 wood and 19* hybrid should do nearly the same job. Maybe drop one and put the 58* back in the bag?

Dave

I've been thinking of switching to this wedge gapping. I currently have 52-56-60 in the bag, but the 60 rarely gets used. The 56 is my baby and any shot I would hit with the 60, I can hit with the 56. How much of a difference is the 2degrees on each wedge going to make?
I have thought about going to a 56 as well.

My old bag was driver, 3W, 5W, 4 iron thru PW, and the 50-54-58. Since I got the Cobras I have same woods, but 3 thru 5 hybrids, 6 thru GW, which only leaves one more spot for a wedge...figured the 54 would be more versatile than the 58.

As for your 60....if you don't use it...no point in carrying. I used my 58 a lot. If was 60 yards or in, on the FW, I'd hit the 58 degree. Used it a lot around the green too...may figure out something to drop and go back to it. Just trying to figure out all the cobras, etc...need to figure out the hybrids, and then figure out do I want the 3H over the 5W, for example...drop the 5W for the 58 maybe.

But was thinking if I can find a decent 56 locally for cheap....maybe pick it up and use as a replacement for the 54/58.

Judging by the WITB the 18* 5 wood and 19* hybrid should do nearly the same job. Maybe drop one and put the 58* back in the bag?

Dave
Ha. Just posted about that. With the Cobras being new...and the hybrids still being something I'm figuring out...I'm trying to keep them in the bag right now, but I will likely pull one of those (5W or 3W or 3H) for a wedge to come back in soon. I just think I will benefit from having what I want in the short game...and maximizing my scoring chances...I seem to pick up strokes more in the short game than anywhere...though the Cobra irons seem like they will help me pick up strokes in the longer approach game (at least based on yesterday's round).

I left the 60 degree out of my bag for a long time until about 2 months ago when I was gifted a set of forgiving wide-sole TM wedges.
Now, when I'm in the greenside bunker or very near the green, swinging/chipping with the 60 instead of the 56 makes me feel I can swing just a little bit more aggressively at the ball since it will come in a bit softer than the 56 would. The result (for me) is leaving less of those shots short of the pin.

However - I know going with the hot hand is often the smart choice. And if it's that's the 56 for you right now, then riding that wave is probably the way to go.

I have a buddy who plays a 54 exclusively around the greens and from the bunker. He can hit a great variety of shots with it, so I suppose it's more about the shot execution than the club choice most of the time.

How much of a difference is the 2degrees on each wedge going to make?

And to answer this question...that will be for you to figure out... :) I know I missed the 58 a little bit...but the 54 is easy to hit as well, it's just figuring out how to use it in the way I used the 58 before. The good news is, wedges are short clubs and easy (ish) to swing and control and hopefully figure out. If you love your 56 though...I dunno...if ain't broke...

When you DO use your 60, how do you use it, and do you have success? I guess just because you don't use it a LOT...don't discount that it does the trick for you when you call on it. Some clubs may get used a couple times a round...or once every OTHER round...but if they do the trick, they are still important.

And to answer this question...that will be for you to figure out... :) I know I missed the 58 a little bit...but the 54 is easy to hit as well, it's just figuring out how to use it in the way I used the 58 before. The good news is, wedges are short clubs and easy (ish) to swing and control and hopefully figure out. If you love your 56 though...I dunno...if ain't broke...

When you DO use your 60, how do you use it, and do you have success? I guess just because you don't use it a LOT...don't discount that it does the trick for you when you call on it. Some clubs may get used a couple times a round...or once every OTHER round...but if they do the trick, they are still important.

So out of the 2 rounds I played this week, I think I used my 60...twice? Both times I was in the rough, had a bunker in front of me, and little room to work with on the green so I had to try to get the ball to drop and stop. It worked one time and the other time I topped it into the sand :mad:.

I was swinging the 60 on the range yesterday and was getting consistent 60yd hits, but feel more comfortable doing a 1/2 swing with the 56 to get around that yardage.

So...the 5 stupid mistakes video...I like it. I went and played 9 tonight on a whim...been a week from hell at work, and I just logged off and decided to go play after working a couple of 10-11 hour days in a row.

The negative thinking tip from the video...about "thinking more positive" and finding things to be positive about. I did that. It may have worked some. I mostly did it off the tee...just sizing up the hole and telling myself "okay...you can miss either way here, so just go for it" or "you never miss left here, for whatever reason, so don't sweat it" and so on.

The other tip about playing too much loft on greenside shots...I do agree at times...other times I disagree with this. I did try to keep it low when I could and had a couple nice chips.

On to the good stuff....the Driver was in full effect tonight. I felt good warming up, so just rolled with it this time from tee 1 onward. Had some nice drives....the par 5 I pulled it left, which got me in trouble, BUT, I smashed a pretty good one distance wise. On holes 7 and 8, with the doglegs, I used the 3 wood and hit a couple nice drives. So...off the tee was good. Only really dud was on the par 3, but managed a bogey, nonetheless.

The good news...I am in love with these Cobra one lengths. I will say, I didn't have to pull the hybrids at all, this round...but used every iron in the bag, and LOVED them. Nice easy swings and these babies are forgiving, give me fantastic trajectory, great feel on good contact, and good distance. One hole for example...I knew from the range I was getting more distance on these...so a hole where I'd been going 5 iron - I pulled the 7. I just missed the GIR. Just a tiny bit right/tiny bit short (like a foot short...it hit the slope up to the raised green, kicked back and right). Still dialing in distance but JUST MISSED a few GIR's. I didn't have any GIR today...but was very close and was on in 3 a lot.

Short game kinda failed me with the change in bag setup...I pulled the lob wedge out, and felt a little lost at times. Carrying the Cobra PW and GW plus a 54 degree. Getting used to figuring out the GW in shorter situations, etc. The 54 I'm usually pretty good with but it failed me bad on the ninth hole.

Greens were wild...really fast. Even uphill. I had one 3 putt where I was on in 3 (just barely missed GIR again). It was uphill, steep...didn't put much on it, but rolled it like 3-4 feet past. Then coming back steep downhill, got scared to put anything on it, just tapped it because the greens were so damn fast...and left it like an inch short. 3 putt. Yuck.

So I played bogey golf with the exception of 2 doubles. But the last four holes, I was in like robotic bogey mode. On all 4 greens in 3 shots, and left long-ish putts right at hole height, leaving 1-2 footers for bogey. If I could do that all day, I'd be thrilled.

Big takeaway though....these new irons a beauties. I dont want to talk them up too much...as they will then be cursed by the golf gods and next time I'll shoot triple bogeys all day.

Gotta keep figuring out the hybrids as I know I'll need 'em....short game practice is needed. Other than that....just gotta keep working the irons, dialing in distance.

Very constructive round though...first time I'd gamed the Cobras. Moving in the right direction....
Whew. I was starting to worry for a minute. Glad you are happy. you'll get the hybrids sorted.

So out of the 2 rounds I played this week, I think I used my 60...twice? Both times I was in the rough, had a bunker in front of me, and little room to work with on the green so I had to try to get the ball to drop and stop. It worked one time and the other time I topped it into the sand :mad:.

I was swinging the 60 on the range yesterday and was getting consistent 60yd hits, but feel more comfortable doing a 1/2 swing with the 56 to get around that yardage.
In my august opinion, comfort with a wedge trumps all other facets.

Whew. I was starting to worry for a minute. Glad you are happy. you'll get the hybrids sorted.
ha! No worries...I figured the irons out pretty quickly. I think the weird part now is the 7 iron length gap wedge...It'll just take some getting used to handling it in shorter situations, choking down, etc. I'll get 'er figgered out.

Hybrids will come around. Just gonna need range work. I just wanted to hit the crap out of the irons at the range for a while...get used to it. Then I think I just hit too much....my body was getting sore from hitting so many balls, and going almost every day to the range. So I took it easy this week (and work was crushing me). But yeah man...getting them out for a round...it was kind of a revelation. I was playing with some old irons...but I don't think I've ever had that kind of consistent trajectory...nice high flight, good distance. Was nice to hit irons with that kind of success.

The 4 hybrid experiment is over. Feeling excited about the new 3 hybrid I decided to give my old 4 hybrid another spin. Played nice on the range so I put it back in the bag for a few tries on my 9 hole course. Several shanks later and it is officially retired for good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wish me luck. I will be trying to break 100 at Riverview (again). Last round there I completely melted down on the front 9 and was done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back