Trying to Break 100

I was just watching that video last night. If I can get out to the range today I'll give it a try.
I may simply have mitts that are too small to be able to get his hand positioning. When I had the strong left/neutral right, my hands kept separating. I'd have to go to a baseball grip to accomplish what Mr. Gorilla Hands did in that video.

Well...I went to DIck's last night out of boredom. Just to get out of the house (I wore my mask...so back off!)

I have talked to the golf guys there a bit and they are pretty helpful. I was looking at drivers. Kid that works there (he's in college, I believe) started chatting with me and set me up on the sim. Was a little wilder than usual though I had been sitting at my desk all day, etc....feeling a little stiff. Anyway - was hitting a new Callaway Rogue and a used TM M6. Had a lot better contact/distance with the Rogue...he left to go help another customer (funny enough - who was a good buddy of mine from high school). So he was testing some hybrids and I was hitting the drivers...good time. Anyway...after spending some time with it...I caved in and got the Rogue. I wanted to like the TM more.....but just wasn't feeling it versus the Callaway.

Went to a local range and got a small bucket when I left. Just walked down to the range area with the driver, some tees, and the driver wrench. Hit some with the standard setup...was a little wonky at first but very forgiving club...even poor hit balls were flying and running forever (of course it's pretty dry here...so hard ground). I tweaked it up two degrees to 12.5 and got some nice hits...WAAAAAAY HIGH trajectory, but the ball still flew pretty well. I could see where - especially if you're slumping at 10.5 degrees, getting some extra loft could be a good adjustment but not sure I'd leave it there permanently. Tweaked back down to 10.5 and hit a groove with it. Was aiming at the 265-ish flag...I'd say I was carrying 230-250 on some good swings...and getting roll out to 260-265. I got ahold of one that I just crushed...but I had walked away to take a beat, and then set up aiming right so wasn't shooting at the flag on that one....It had to have carried 265 or more. The guy next to me was taking a breather and was like "damn, nice hit."

Anyway...new toy. I had been swinging the old TM r9 460. Which is about 12 years old or so, I think...so....some newer tech, etc, in this one...I'm hoping I can get a little more out of it (based on the groove I got into, I think there is definitely some improvement - both in yardage and just better striking - to be found with this club). I have really neglected my driver in practice...been working so hard on reworking the swing and working these Cobra irons....(which are going well) Hoping with a little work I can rediscover the driver swing a bit...I had it really going a couple years ago and up thru last fall when I hurt my shoulder. Just gotta find it again and ramp the speed back up a bit. I don't have a fast swing by any means...and it's getting slower as I get older, I'm sure. But this one (regular flex) ought to work for me for a few years before I have to consider going to a senior shaft at some point. Gotta remember to get back to stretching daily too...loosen the back, hips, shoulders up....

Anyway....that's my excitement. Hope this thing works for me. It was on sale as I think the Rogue came out in 2018/19....normally 499 I think, got it for 299 plus had some Dick's rewards to knock off more. Plus $100 from my dad for my birthday :)

EDIT: I'd been averaging 200-ish with the r9 lately (that's total...carry plus roll). I think partly because coming off injury, partly because I'm just not super consistent with driver anymore, partly the swing work I've been doing. But I was never a big hitter...even when I was hitting the r9 well, I'd say if I could finish a round averaging 215, I'd be happy. If this club can get me a little more carry, to where I can carry it 220-230 more often, I'll be thrilled. I have no illusions of carrying it 250 or more...(the one rocket i hit will probably never happen again...ha) but if I can make any substantial gains over the 200-215 I mentioned...that's pretty big.
I'm, once again, really happy these are working out for you.

Played a full round yesterday with no driver to see how it worked out.
Hit 3W on 13 of the holes and found 10 fairways and only 2 penalty strokes from the tee w/ that club.
Most rolled out to 210-230 yards.
End result was a 101 which easily could have been 97 had I not made a few really dumb mistakes hurrying through the last 3 holes as the sun set.

I hope one day I can hit my driver that consistently as that was a good day from the tee for me.

I may simply have mitts that are too small to be able to get his hand positioning. When I had the strong left/neutral right, my hands kept separating. I'd have to go to a baseball grip to accomplish what Mr. Gorilla Hands did in that video.
I have smaller hands as well...really derailed any delusions I had of pitching in high school. That's how I ended up a slap hitting, speedy, utility player :)

Played a full round yesterday with no driver to see how it worked out.
Hit 3W on 13 of the holes and found 10 fairways and only 2 penalty strokes from the tee w/ that club.
Most rolled out to 210-230 yards.
End result was a 101 which easily could have been 97 had I not made a few really dumb mistakes hurrying through the last 3 holes as the sun set.

I hope one day I can hit my driver that consistently as that was a good day from the tee for me.
Just keep doing that and go out in your back yard and set your driver on fire later.

This is just rambling from a 22hc but I wonder how many of us are thinking too much. I know I was. I did the whole fitting and lesson thing over the winter and my game was the worst it had been since I started playing. Cleared my head the last couple rounds and my only thought was just hit the damn ball and shot my two best scores of the year. By a lot. I didn’t worry about GIR’s or number of putts. Why would I, I was barely making contact. With this approach I started drawing my irons and hitting it farther than I have in years. It’s not a coincidence that this happened after I bought new clubs that were completely opposite of what I was fit for. Guess numbers don’t tell the whole story.

I’m not saying this approach will work for anyone else. Hell, it may not work for me next round. Just something to think about.

This is just rambling from a 22hc but I wonder how many of us are thinking too much. I know I was. I did the whole fitting and lesson thing over the winter and my game was the worst it had been since I started playing. Cleared my head the last couple rounds and my only thought was just hit the damn ball and shot my two best scores of the year. By a lot. I didn’t worry about GIR’s or number of putts. Why would I, I was barely making contact. With this approach I started drawing my irons and hitting it farther than I have in years. It’s not a coincidence that this happened after I bought new clubs that were completely opposite of what I was fit for. Guess numbers don’t tell the whole story.

I’m not saying this approach will work for anyone else. Hell, it may not work for me next round. Just something to think about.

I think there's something to what you are saying. For all of us in the thread I think the main thing is to keep the ball in play off the tee and not give away strokes with gross mishits. GIRs, # of putts, etc... is just a way to track progress. I never know what the stats are until the round is over and try to always focus on the next shot.

Dave

I think there's something to what you are saying. For all of us in the thread I think the main thing is to keep the ball in play off the tee and not give away strokes with gross mishits. GIRs, # of putts, etc... is just a way to track progress. I never know what the stats are until the round is over and try to always focus on the next shot.

Dave

Like I said, I’m just rambling. Maybe it’ll help someone. I know what it’s like to put in hours at the range, practicing different positions in a mirror, spending $ on lessons just to still shoot 100+. It stops being fun and starts feeling like a job. And I’ve seen some of that in this thread so I thought I’d share a different take

Like I said, I’m just rambling. Maybe it’ll help someone. I know what it’s like to put in hours at the range, practicing different positions in a mirror, spending $ on lessons just to still shoot 100+. It stops being fun and starts feeling like a job. And I’ve seen some of that in this thread so I thought I’d share a different take

If time and budget is not an issue I think the best way to get better at golf is just to play more... golf. I was at my best ever level of golf in 2017 and I was playing 27 holes / week.
I'm playing 9 holes / week now. It's not coincidence that I was better then than I am now.

I'm sure grinding makes some people better, but for those who are looking to get the right side of 90, keeping it in play and short game I think is the fastest way to get there. My personal best is 85 / par 72 so I can't comment on what it takes to break 80. I suspect grinding may be required. But, unless someone has major mechanical issues that are limiting them, getting under 100 consistently can solved by golfing a lot.

Dave

Absolutely...I think that's been touched on a lot lately in this thread...thinking is my golf nemesis. I really think as much time as most of us seem to put in...the repetition dictates we'd all have some form of consistency (to varying degrees). The main variable for each of us is probably state of mind.

I don't worry about GIR or any of that while playing...I check stats after the round and go "Oh hey I hit half my fairways, cool". I use Swing U and the only things I pay attention to when I put my score in are putts and indicating if I hit a FW (but I do a good job of not mentally tracking "did I hit x amount of fairways" while playing...I Just let the app spit out the numbers later).

The more I trust that I know what I'm doing, the better I play. No doubt. When I step to the tee and start going "Oh I gotta do this or that" my swing is gonna suck, the impact is gonna feel awful, the ball is gonna fly who knows where....When I take a couple practice swings and tell myself just do that again with the ball in the way - I hit a solid drive.

The trick is being aware enough to be positive...but not too aware...ha. Stupid brains.....

If time and budget is not an issue I think the best way to get better at golf is just to play more... golf. I was at my best ever level of golf in 2017 and I was playing 27 holes / week.
I'm playing 9 holes / week now. It's not coincidence that I was better then than I am now.

I'm sure grinding makes some people better, but for those who are looking to get the right side of 90, keeping it in play and short game I think is the fastest way to get there. My personal best is 85 / par 72 so I can't comment on what it takes to break 80. I suspect grinding may be required. But, unless someone has major mechanical issues that are limiting them, getting under 100 consistently can solved by golfing a lot.

Dave
Agreed...my biggest strides were made a couple years ago, I played for like 18 months all the time. Last year I played less, then got hurt. This year coming off injury, I struggled a lot, decided to work heavily on my swing, got some new irons, worked on those. Etc. etc. The plus side...working at home due to COVID - it's easy for me to jump off my laptop and go hit balls, if not play nine. Whether you're at the range, the chipping or putting green, or playing a round...the more you do all these things the better. Golf is very much about repetition and confidence.....the more reps, the more good habits become second nature. The more that happens, the more confidence you have. The more all that happens...the more strokes you'll drop....

.....the more reps, the more good habits become second nature.

I think for bogey or slightly higher golfers it is a matter of overcoming our mechanical flaws and learning compensations to hit the ball. When I play more I can better time those compensations. Golfers with really solid swings can play very rarely and still score. They don't have as many things that can go wrong. My swing is not like that.

Dave

Good round!!
What course?
Windmill Lakes

Was it that video where he has a little stick in the glove to show where his wrist hinge is pointing? I found that very insightful. I tried to do that with my right hand, but could not for the life of me get the left hand strong and have them fit on the club.
That's the one. Now I kinda wish I hadn't seen it - because I can't seem to get the club square at impact. Started to hit fades and pushes (not really due to outside in swing or over-the-top move: I think it's mainly the club face is open at impact so the ball starts right.

I played Brookledge today - should be an easier course than Windmill, but shot a 103. We had a threesome and told the single behind us to come join us. Turns out he played football with Travis Kelce at Cleveland Heights. Nice guy. After one hole he was muttering "Disappointing!" to himself. I tried to encourage him - told him "You'd think Cleveland fans would be good golfers - we're used to dealing with disappointment."

Hit some good shots - a couple of massive (for me) drives, but overall very inconsistent, very frustrating. Like the man said: "Disappointing". But still fun.

And I didn't kill any wildlife today - so I got that going for me.

I think for bogey or slightly higher golfers it is a matter of overcoming our mechanical flaws and learning compensations to hit the ball. When I play more I can better time those compensations. Golfers with really solid swings can play very rarely and still score. They don't have as many things that can go wrong. My swing is not like that.

Dave

Agreed. I think I need reps to stay in tune. That said once I get to a point where I’m swinging well I do generally feel like I can back off at the range and keep my swing fairly intact. I’m just working on a lot this year so the more the better. But when I get to a point where I’m feeling any burnout or feeling like it’s too much - I just switch up the practice routine and work in other things. Short game. Mix up my range routine. Whatever to keep it fresh. But there comes a point for me where it gets to feel too much at times. Last week I had a lay-off. This week I’ve been hitting but like tonight I went and was kind of feeling “blah” about it. Mixed results but a good short game practice after. Working that 58 degree greenside and some good putting work tonight.

New driver taking some getting used to. Slugged a few good ones. Got to where I had like three solid shots in a row and put it away. Wanted to end remembering what I was doing right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with the posts from @LLIB and others about overthinking it.

The problem for me is that when I'm going through a "fix" of one kind or another I'll have a few too many thoughts in my head for a time. As soon as I can distill those thoughts to one or two simple points of focus, I tend to have sub 100 rounds. It's a process to get there though. At least it is for me. But I love it when it comes together that way at times.

It's also hard to keep a quiet mind for 18 holes. How many times have you started a round just "zening it" and advancing the ball effortlessly only to start analyzing and overthinking as soon as you hit a couple of bad shots half way through the back nine?
🙃

Best 9 in a long while. Played 7-8-9, all par 3s in par-birdie-par. 7 should have been an easy birdie that I just missed, and then I almost birdied 9 also.

Sleeping well tonight.
b53a1e793d518b5c1a9fb1fcc91febcb.jpg

This is the birdie putt I had on 7 that I missed.

I have smaller hands as well...really derailed any delusions I had of pitching in high school. That's how I ended up a slap hitting, speedy, utility player :)
I sat out in left field, they were forced to play me somewhere. All I thought was “please don’t hit it this way.”

I agree with the posts from @LLIB and others about overthinking it.

The problem for me is that when I'm going through a "fix" of one kind or another I'll have a few too many thoughts in my head for a time. As soon as I can distill those thoughts to one or two simple points of focus, I tend to have sub 100 rounds. It's a process to get there though. At least it is for me. But I love it when it comes together that way at times.

It's also hard to keep a quiet mind for 18 holes. How many times have you started a round just "zening it" and advancing the ball effortlessly only to start analyzing and overthinking as soon as you hit a couple of bad shots half way through the back nine?
🙃
Once

Best 9 in a long while. Played 7-8-9, all par 3s in par-birdie-par. 7 should have been an easy birdie that I just missed, and then I almost birdied 9 also.

Sleeping well tonight.
b53a1e793d518b5c1a9fb1fcc91febcb.jpg

This is the birdie putt I had on 7 that I missed.

D’oh!! Nice round, putt notwithstanding.

Now that (I think, yeah right) I have gotten my swing basics in order, next step is to improve my overall fitness. I have been jogging and exercising past few years frequently and infrequently so I am not out of shape. I just feel that especially my core strength is below average, due to sedentary work. As I walk all my rounds with a pushcart, I feel quite exhausted after rounds. Especially lower back gives me a lot of notices during rounds. So I enrolled to crossfit class starting early August. I believe better core strength and stamina will help me also to concentrate better on course due not feeling fatigued.

(Actually, I'm gonna be the next Bryson DeShampoo :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:)

Now that (I think, yeah right) I have gotten my swing basics in order, next step is to improve my overall fitness. I have been jogging and exercising past few years frequently and infrequently so I am not out of shape. I just feel that especially my core strength is below average, due to sedentary work. As I walk all my rounds with a pushcart, I feel quite exhausted after rounds. Especially lower back gives me a lot of notices during rounds. So I enrolled to crossfit class starting early August. I believe better core strength and stamina will help me also to concentrate better on course due not feeling fatigued.

(Actually, I'm gonna be the next Bryson DeShampoo :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:)

Just don’t over do it. CrossFit is killer. First time I tried that I thought I was going to die. Ha.

I’m with you though. Quarantine has me too sedentary and I need to do more. Jogging and core stuff. I’m not sure I’m quite ready to go back to a gym yet with the ‘Rona spiking again. So I need to do more workouts at home.

I chose golf as a pastime for the reason I could be my fat self.

I chose golf as a pastime for the reason I could be my fat self.

Yep. My mindset is usually, to paraphrase the great Roddy Piper, “I came here to smoke cigars and lose golf balls. And I’m almost out of golf balls”

Back