Trying to Break 100

Tee game was all over the map. Had one really solid hit with this Rogue. The more I swing it the weirder it feels to me. Wondering if sunk some money into a dud. I dunno if it’s the torque in the shaft but it feels a little too soft the more I swing it (and I don’t swing hard). Think the shaft is just torqued more in middle where I’m used to more toward the club head maybe. Also feel like I’m pushing it bad. And I have it on the draw setting. So kinda stumped. This one could be getting sold on Facebook sooner rather than later if this keeps up. About to stick the R9 back in the bag.

What shaft is in it? If you're pushing it then maybe need to check your grip if the problem is face related or try to come more from the inside if it is path related. I fight a right miss also.

Dave

I basically have just played the work league and it is 2,937 yards. Every once in a while I'll play the local executive course, but only one time so far this year.

The work course is a pretty standard housing area type course. 2 par 3s one long (170) and the other short (120). 2 par 5s both 475-480. 3 short par 4s of ~ 320. 2 longer par 4s of ~370. The holes typically have OB both sides, but there are not that many trees. Wind is a major factor.

I drove the ball MUCH better last year with 54% fairways and about 5 yards less distance than this year. This year fairways are just 24%, ouch! I think my current driver (ST190) is just not working. I shouldn't have gone chasing distance and just stayed with what I had. My alternate driver now is a K15, I'll either put that is play or get something else.

Dave
I get similar distance from my driver as you do and I play from 5,000 - 6,000.

Nice use of stats. I understand your goals and why driver is important.

I haven't had a large enough sample with my new driver, but after playing the way I do and keeping stats as I have for so long, what I see on the course is usually very close to what the stats confirm. While reaching bogey golf is no longer what I'm after, it does bug me a little that I cannot control accuracy well enough to use the club.

The hybrid for me is long enough for me to shoot low 90's on a 6,000 yard course, but it is not accurate enough. There are long par 4's I'm not going to reach, but bogeys and even doubles on those holes alone are not going to push my score above 100. Keeping the ball in play with any club is just more important than distance with the rest of my game being what it is.

I normally use regular flex shafts, but for the KK Black in my 4 wood it was recommended that I go with stiff because they tend to be softer than most other graphite shafts. That was good advice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks! The KK Black seems to be the alternate shaft in the paks besides the Maltby MPF shaft. I was thinking about buying the STw2, but think I'm going to stick it out with what I have for now. If I did buy with the KK I'd go up a flex.

Dave

18 at the local obstacle course tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So some good, some bad in today's round. Started off well and then took a horrific quad bogey on the par 5 fourth hole. Still managed a 48 on the front due to 3 pars. I really struggled on back, especially with my driver. I don't know what's happened lately, my driver used to be so reliable (mostly). I still had a chance to break 100, just need 8 or less the last two holes, one of them a par 3. I did get a par on that one but hit a worm burner driver on 18 that got caught in the rough and never made it to the senior/ladies tee. I was finally on the green in 4, but the bogey putt was rather long and I had to settle for a 6 and an even 100 on my round.

The most positive thing from my round was 3 out of 4 GIR on par 3's and 2 pars. This is an area I've struggled mightily in the past. If I can get back to somewhat consistent with my driver, I really believe I can consistently break 100 and eventually even break 90.

What shaft is in it? If you're pushing it then maybe need to check your grip if the problem is face related or try to come more from the inside if it is path related. I fight a right miss also.

Dave

It’s regular flex - the Synergy 50. Most of the specs of this driver are very close to my old TM R9, all the way down to the shaft weight etc. the swing weight is different - TM is D4 and rogue D3. The only complaint I can’t find is the torque on the Rogue shaft. Which is why I mentioned that.

With the TM - I rarely miss right (and the driver is adjusted to the standard settings). With the callaway I feel like I’m constantly pushing it - and that’s with the draw setting.

Both drivers are regular flex. But the TM feels a little less bendy. I dunno. I got hit at the range with the callaway this week and was carrying it well. But since then (another range session and a couple nine hole rounds) I feel like I’ve lost control of it. Just never had that feeling with the TM. That’s why when I was hitting the rogue at the store and hitting the TM M6 - I reaaaaally wanted to like the TM but the sim was giving me way better results with the rogue.

Weird. I’m kind stumped. All things being mostly equal - I don’t see what the callaway feels so much more of a struggle for me to swing it. Like I said I’ll keep working it. But I don’t think it’s the grip given the problems I’m having were never problems with prior driver.

The torque on the regular flex synergy blue 50 on the rouge is 5.2

The torque on the regular flex synergy blue 50 on the rouge is 5.2

Thanks!

So the TM shaft has a 3.5. I wouldn’t think it would make much difference. I always thought average golfer wanted between 3.5 and 5.5.

Maybe I’m just have some mental weirdness with the new driver and subconsciously doing something with my swing.

If you want to compare the shafts, for a right handed golfer hold the grip and put the driver face against the inside of your left foot and push a little bit. You can see where the shaft bends. The Synergy is supposed to be mid-launch and have a middle kick point.

Modern shafts seem to commonly have higher torque to improve feel.

Given the expense I'd hate to see you give up on it too early. Rogue is still top of the line technology wise.

I'd highly recommend to check your grip and make it a little bit stronger to see if you can get the ball moving farther left.

Dave

Got some goodies in the mail that I'm excited about.

Got a new ping putter grip that looks exactly like the original grip on my old anser putter from the 70's. Only, it's about 25% larger. It's a very conservative "midsize" and still has the same contours of the old one.

More grips to get my irons and wedges more uniform through the bag. I've gone to the GP MCC+4 grips and I like them.
(standard size with slightly larger lower hand diameter)

I recently bent two shafts following through into trees while hitting out of trouble, so I'm trying out the new Nippon 950GH neo shafts in my lob wedge and gap wedge.

I'll drop things of Monday with a local club-builder/repair guy and I can't wait to try everything out.

Happy Independence Day to those of you stateside - and I hope everyone stays safe and breaks 100 this weekend!

I played 49/44: 93 yesterday. 1 birdie, 4 pars, 6 bogeys and rest were junk. I got my HCP under 20 (19.9) for the first time so I think I am playing quite consistently. Another 18 holes booked for tomorrow morning, wake up at 6:00, start driving at 6:30 and teetime 8:40. Unfortunate thing is that I cut my left thumb while cooking and cannot play with normal grip. I have to leave it "hanging" outside my right palm, should affect the swing a bit at least. At least I'm not having too tight grip :)

I played 49/44: 93 yesterday. 1 birdie, 4 pars, 6 bogeys and rest were junk. I got my HCP under 20 (19.9) for the first time so I think I am playing quite consistently. Another 18 holes booked for tomorrow morning, wake up at 6:00, start driving at 6:30 and teetime 8:40. Unfortunate thing is that I cut my left thumb while cooking and cannot play with normal grip. I have to leave it "hanging" outside my right palm, should affect the swing a bit at least. At least I'm not having too tight grip :)
Liquid bandage is my go-to for cuts. Much better than a bandaid. I hope they sell that in Finland.

Liquid bandage is my go-to for cuts. Much better than a bandaid. I hope they sell that in Finland.

We have liquid bandade here as well. I cut of the tip so I would need cement it if I wanted to grip normally :)

We have liquid bandade here as well. I cut of the tip so I would need cement it if I wanted to grip normally :)
Ouch, that is not good. :eek:

If you want to compare the shafts, for a right handed golfer hold the grip and put the driver face against the inside of your left foot and push a little bit. You can see where the shaft bends. The Synergy is supposed to be mid-launch and have a middle kick point.

Modern shafts seem to commonly have higher torque to improve feel.

Given the expense I'd hate to see you give up on it too early. Rogue is still top of the line technology wise.

I'd highly recommend to check your grip and make it a little bit stronger to see if you can get the ball moving farther left.

Dave

I’m not gonna give up on it. Will check the grip, though I’m just trying to mimic the same grip/setup/swing I’ve always put on the driver and I’ve never been a slicer with driver. Even when I suck and get wild it’s usually gonna result in a hard left.

I will keep at it. It’s gonna be really hard for me to game it right now though when I know I can roll with the TM and get certain expected results (going middle or left and hitting some fairways).

The callaway is even a a quarter inch shorter which I thought would help. Right now though it’s just pushing right on and/or popped up shots that may hit the fairway but maybe at 160 yards which isn’t ideal.

I had one drive yesterday that felt good. Good sweet spot contact and I was like okay maybe I got something here (even that wound up fading hard left and barely hung on to a wide fairway).

I will keep at it. It’s gonna be really hard for me to game it right now though when I know I can roll with the TM and get certain expected results (going middle or left and hitting some fairways).

$300 is a motivating factor, but if I felt that way I would bench it and see if I could get it right on the range or see if the store will take it back on a playability return and get something else instead.

Dave

$300 is a motivating factor, but if I felt that way I would bench it and see if I could get it right on the range or see if the store will take it back on a playability return and get something else instead.

Dave

Like I said I had some good results on the monitor and one solid range session. I think there’s something in it that I’m just not getting right now. But swings get funky sometimes. So I’ll keep at it.

I have never heard of a playability return??

Edit - talked to the store manager for a while (stopped by on my way to a BBQ). He was very knowledgeable and after a bit he said I’ll let you swap it out but said when he switched drivers it took him a couple months to get it dialed in. He pointed out that modern drivers are all gonna feel wildly different than the one I’m used to. So we talked thru my concerns etc. He said what he thinks is I’m going thru some “new driver woes”. He pointed out that I hit it well at the store and had a good range session. So he said “tell you what. Go out to the range over the next two weeks and really work it. If you still don’t like it - I’ll honor a swap for you.”

Sounds like a fair deal to me.

I didn’t really want to give up on the club - just think it’s gonna take some adjusting (more than I thought). But he pointed out the R9 (and most 12-13 year old drivers) were engineered vastly different.

So I’ll stick it out....

Last edited:
I was all set to break 100 at Fullerton GC today. But after 3 holes I had lowered my expectations to just hitting a decent tee shot.

The good news is my 4 wood appears to be a keeper. I can actually hit it off the deck. And my 3 hybrid is still a work in progress, but not a disaster. Everything else went wrong today though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Check this out: playing with my brother and two friends, we tee off on 18, and being in f***ing hillbilly country, we heard gunfire the whole round. The owner drives up to us as we’re heading down the fairway and tells us to get off the course. Another twosome in front of us had heard bullets hitting the trees on the right side of the 18th fairway.

For golf content, I Swapped the driver shaft back to the PX EvenflowBlue, and really smoked a couple.A couple big left to right shots, but, my ShotScope clocked me at 234 for one drive. I think it’s broke. Hit a few nice iron shots, and a few nice hybrids. I did par the hateful 17th for the second time in playing this course about 100 times.

Forgot to add, shot a 97, according to my brother.

Last edited:
Check this out: playing with my brother and two friends, we tee off on 18, and being in f***ing hillbilly country, we heard gunfire the whole round. The owner drives up to us as we’re heading down the fairway and tells us to get off the course. Another twosome in front of us had heard bullets hitting the trees on the right side of the 18th fairway.

For golf content, I Swapped the driver shaft back to the PX EvenflowBlue, and really smoked a couple.A couple big left to right shots, but, my ShotScope clocked me at 234 for one drive. I think it’s broke. Hit a few nice iron shots, and a few nice hybrids. I did par the hateful 17th for the second time in playing this course about 100 times.

My takeaway is that when you’re under fire and your life is on the line - you hit long drives and shoot under 100. You just need to find a way to keep upping the stakes and you’ll be shooting in the 80s before you know it.

My takeaway is that when you’re under fire and your life is on the line - you hit long drives and shoot under 100. You just need to find a way to keep upping the stakes and you’ll be shooting in the 80s before you know it.

I like this theory.

@JonMA1

I've done similar studies and for my swing and found:

• 3 wood I get quick and have too high % of topping. If I hit 3 wood well it goes not that far behind driver (15-20 yds) and does not have the big right miss. If I were to consider this being a real tee option I'd have to practice it extensively to avoid the topping.
  • Hybrid is an excellent control option. I've hit 6/9 fairways this year with it, but am losing almost 40 yards in distance versus driver.
  • Driver is clearly the distance play, but I hit it all over the place. I track a stat I call "penal misses" where the next shot is badly impacted by bad drives and this happens more often than I have a clean fairway lie.

Scoring averages and sample size when teeing off with each:

• 3 wood - sample size too small to be of any value
  • Hybrid - Score 48.0/par 36, sample size 9
  • Driver - Score 49.4/par 36, sample size 45
  • for comparison, Par 3 - Score 45.0/par 36.

Takeaway: Hybrid is safe. I'll never play the level of golf I desire to play (bogey golf) using the hybrid exclusively. Driver is risky, but given my length (typically 210-220 on a good strike) it is essential on holes any longer than 330 yards to have a chance to score. I need to use a different driver and get it working.

Dave

I've been working hard on 3 wood the past few days. I've largely got the "spinning out" miss that results in a top sorted out. I may go primarily 3 wood off the tee the next league night.

If I do hit driver I am going to start setting up with the ball more towards the toe to prevent the heel strike miss. I'll also be more careful in picking my starting line to make sure it is far enough left.

Dave

I've been working hard on 3 wood the past few days. I've largely got the "spinning out" miss that results in a top sorted out. I may go primarily 3 wood off the tee the next league night.

If I do hit driver I am going to start setting up with the ball more towards the toe to prevent the heel strike miss. I'll also be more careful in picking my starting line to make sure it is far enough left.

Dave
Am I totally sophomoric for laughing when I saw “penal” and “hard on”?

So, in my always-on golf tinkering, I made a small change to my grip yesterday.

My usual right hand thumb placement is on the left side of the grip, laying on the inside of the middle finger with the tip touching the tip of the index finger. I moved it just a touch upward so it is on the left side of the grip, just to the left of the top of said grip.

The feel during the swing was, hmmm, let’s call it a bit more “focused“, in my right hand. Not quite a jump in “control” of the club, more of a nuance of being able to swing it where I wanted for ball strike.

Hey, it’s a Sunday morning, and besides polishing off a bottle of wine last night, I got nothing better. (Shocking lack of a hangover, though. 😬)

97 good, getting shot at, bad. Living to tell about it, priceless.:rolleyes:

Back