Trying to Break 100

Different things work for different people, but one thing that has to happen and that is impact has to be correct for the shot being made no matter how the swing gets the club to that point of impact.
I couldn’t agree more with this.

There have been so many times when I’ve had to slow down to a half swing just to get to the point of making good contact. When that’s not happening at half speed, I might as well pack it in for the day.

well I did go hit some balls and just tried not to think much...just do whatever feels natural and trust that my swing would fall into place. Largely, it seemed to work. Still some duds, and some of the range balls were gnarly, so I dunno how to judge distance on those, but was getting some get trajectory/contact and feel pretty okay (knocking on all the wood, now) heading into my nine later. We'll see. Worst case scenario, I'm outside doing something I enjoy with weather in the 80's and there are not many better ways to spend a couple hours (even if your game is off....)

Well played nine and I have to quote myself about worst case scenario because I played like trash. I feel like I’ve completely lost whatever I had found and I did not have very much fun. Couple of very frustrating rounds I’ve had recently now and feeling like I don’t even know how to swing a club anymore.

Well - my putter was good. Short game was good. Everything else was hot garbage. I had one nice poke on a long par 3 (stuck it on green for a birdie try). And two well struck tee shots w driver.

That was about it outside of chipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well played nine and I have to quote myself about worst case scenario because I played like trash. I feel like I’ve completely lost whatever I had found and I did not have very much fun. Couple of very frustrating rounds I’ve had recently now and feeling like I don’t even know how to swing a club anymore.

Well - my putter was good. Short game was good. Everything else was hot garbage. I had one nice poke on a long par 3 (stuck it on green for a birdie try). And two well struck tee shots w driver.

That was me on Friday evening when I couldn't hit an iron for anything. Got straight to the range Saturday morning, making a tiny adjustment to my distance from the ball, and was striking as well as i could. Jumped onto the course and shot my best score of 91, which is 9 better than I ever shot on the course, and 17 better than the day before!

Message of the day being, get back out there as soon as. Whether it's the range or the course. Sitting on it for a week will give you far too long to over analyze, and get lost in 10 different explanations for your poor striking.

Shot a 49 from a mix of tees at my home course before it became too crowded and I just said f-it.

I started out as a solo and played the first 5 holes from the difficult-for-me blue tees where I hit a couple greens in regulation and had one tee shot go out of bounds. I was 7 over before my partner showed up and at that point moved up to the whites. I was feeling good about my game until I pulled a hybrid tee shot out of bounds on the 9th and ended up with a triple there - not a terrible score considering the 2 unnecessary strokes.

The game is becoming boring and predictable. Not all bad, but just repetitive between my skills and weaknesses. We all want a consistent game... well, mine is getting there, haha. Irons are as good as they've ever been, and the tee shots as bad. Averaging over 2 putts per hole for several rounds now isn't good, but I don't believe that's costing as many strokes as the long clubs.

What really chased me home was how crowded the course became as I really wanted to play a second 9. Unlimited golf at $99 per year attracts a lot of golfers. The happiest I am playing golf is when it becomes too cold for normal people to play. At that time of the year I will often have the 9 hole course to myself, the fall colors will be full on, and it just feels great to get in as many rounds as possible before the season comes to an end.

Rant whining over. I'm very lucky to have what I have.

Edit: I just looked up my stats... within 15 yards of the center of the green with approach shots:
From inside 100 yards: 100%.
From outside 100 yards: 86%.

Last edited:
That was me on Friday evening when I couldn't hit an iron for anything. Got straight to the range Saturday morning, making a tiny adjustment to my distance from the ball, and was striking as well as i could. Jumped onto the course and shot my best score of 91, which is 9 better than I ever shot on the course, and 17 better than the day before!

Message of the day being, get back out there as soon as. Whether it's the range or the course. Sitting on it for a week will give you far too long to over analyze, and get lost in 10 different explanations for your poor striking.
I agree...I usually try to get out somewhat quickly after bad play just to kind of swing away and try to not overthink things. I don't know what my sudden problem is....other than my brain must be getting in the way. I started off terrible yesterday (awful tee shot, awful second shot...) and then just lost it...could never quite get comfortable over the ball...grip felt bad, stance felt bad, swing felt bad. There was a par 3 that was 180+ and I hit a 7 wood and stuck it like 12 feet from the hole (two putted for par)...I think that was the third hole...and I thought, okay, I'm cool...I got this....but...alas....

I did hit a couple nice drivers and like I said lots of good chipping (one almost in the hole to save a par) and the putter was fine..nothing great...but nothing more than a 2 putt all day.

There is just something....off. Just can't figure out what. I think half of it if the guy I was playing with is not good, and he talks all the time, and just wants to go out and have a goof off day, basically. But that doesn't excuse the prior round where I was playing with better golfers than this guy (and usually play well with them) and just completely lost my swing...still trying to get it back from that day....not sure if I need to dial up my old swing coach for a tune up or what. He's a very calm guy...very laid back...very quick to find what you're doing wrong, say "big deal....just do it this way" and get things sort of fixed.

I think, though, I'm going to hit balls with a buddy this afternoon or evening and I hope to just clear my mind, get a comfortable grip, comfortable stance, take a deep breath, and make some nice swings.

EDIT: reflecting on the round...I think a huge problem was topping the ball....I think there was something with my setup that was forcing tops...whether I was too upright, or playing the ball too far up or back in stance, or whatever...I'm not sure. I gotta get back to a nice smooth swing, not trying to do too much, and let the clubs work. I know, based on earlier play/practice this spring, the good swing is somewhere in there.....

Looking back on the scorecard...the par 3 was the second hole. So I played holes 2, 4, 5, 8 pretty well (sort of). And at least had a nice par and salvaged bogey's on the other three despite myself. One thing I hadn't done in a long time was triple bogey, and I did it twice (a par 5 and par 4). Some of it was playing dumb. the rough was awful, and after the first time I tried to hit shots out of it, I said out loud, next time I get in that stuff so deep, Im just gonna lob it back to the fairway....the next triple I got, I ignored my own advice and tried to play the shots out of the rough again....so that killed me twice.

But really, my swing was just a mess....just hitting worm burners all day.....

Last edited:
All somebody can do is try it and see, and discard it if it doesn't work. It's made a huge difference in my short game, and I have average eye/hand coordination at best and don't spend a lot of time practicing. I don't use a real sharp 'hinge', so I'm still engaging the bounce and the club gets smoothly through the ball without digging. I had a big problem with chunking when I used to flip my wrists chipping, it's all but completely disappeared with this method. My chips are a lot more predictable from any lie, I've holed a few and am getting up and down a lot more often. I also have a lot more versatility - I can bring them in high and soft, hit low spinners, or do the 'toe down' chip when I want more run. I didn't have any of those shots in my repertoire (at least not consistently and on purpose!) before.

I'll admit I have yet to try the hinge and hold on the course. I did try the Kisner method on the course with not so good results. 3 shanks on the front nine cost me 3 strokes. Both seemed to work fine in practice. I have noticed it feels more comfortable to hinge and hold. In practice I rarely shank one. I do shank a few more with the Kisner method. I tried incorporating a little of both but it felt very awkward. Too many moving parts to remember. The hinge and hold just has two things I need to focus on. Hinge a little earlier and hold after contact.

I do know practice is different than the course. If I played like I practiced I'd be ten strokes better than I am. So while I'm encouraged about the chipping in practice, I'm only cautiously optimistic until I see it in action on the course. Seems like what works one day doesn't always work the next. I'm going on Tuesday for 18 holes. I'm headed out to the park this morning to practice chipping some more. We'll see how it works on Tuesday.

Right. It’s the stick or the ball... but never me.
Seriously, the tricky part is throwing money at the right problem and the right solution. There are just so many bad instructors and bad fitters out there. They will take your money all day long whether they’re helping or not.

In my area the instructors seem more geared to kids instruction. From what I gather, the instructors around here are not scratch golfers. More of mid handicap golfers. I've heard a couple adults say they paid for lessons and didn't feel confident the guy could help them. I'm still a high handicapper but one part of my game is much better. The driver. And I figured it out by myself.

That's golf my man.

Think about it: the best players in the world who practice every single day with the best instructors, best equipment, trackman, etc, will shoot 63 one day and 76 the next. They'll win 2 million dollars beating the field by 6 strokes and then miss the cut by 5 strokes.

One little change in your setup, or simply a lack of focus can make the difference in 10 strokes.

Do what the pros do: get back out there.

That's golf my man.

Think about it: the best players in the world who practice every single day with the best instructors, best equipment, trackman, etc, will shoot 63 one day and 76 the next. They'll win 2 million dollars beating the field by 6 strokes and then miss the cut by 5 strokes.

One little change in your setup, or simply a lack of focus can make the difference in 10 strokes.

Do what the pros do: get back out there.
I hear ya...of course I'll be back at it in no time. Like I said, will be hitting some balls today :)

It's not like I can stay away....although yesterday at some point I'm pretty sure I said "I quit, this game's dumb." I didn't mean it, though, golf....please take me back....

In my area the instructors seem more geared to kids instruction. From what I gather, the instructors around here are not scratch golfers. More of mid handicap golfers. I've heard a couple adults say they paid for lessons and didn't feel confident the guy could help them. I'm still a high handicapper but one part of my game is much better. The driver. And I figured it out by myself.
Same here.
I've taken several lessons from several instructors trying to find one who might be a good match. In the end, the only thing I felt was beneficial was the short game advice.

I am convinced that bad golfing is one problem you CAN just throw money at to fix. I mean it's not exactly difficult. You're just swinging a stick backwards and forwards. So if it isn't doing what you want it must either be the stick, or the ball.

I have to qualify my previous post by stating that my regular courses - 9 hole and exec - have MUCH better grass than the two courses I played this weekend. So I am used to first cuts that are fairly consistent and pristine. The course I played yesterday is not well maintained and the grass is terrible. So even in the middle of the fairway you may be hitting out of some terrible stuff. I am used to favorable lies from 120 and in and I hit my wedges decently. Yesterday it was like hitting off a cart path or worse.

Good afternoon my B100 brethren! I haven't posted in this thread in a while. Sounds like some of you are making some decent improvement and consistency in staying under that 100 mark. @barrelMOnkey what a great turnaround from one round to the next. SUPER JOB!

I had been floating right around the 100 mark for recent weeks. out of my past 7 rounds, I've shot 92, 94, 95, 90, 99 (on league day, of course). My past two rounds I broke into the 80s for the first time this year and in consecutive rounds with 87 last week and 88 yesterday. Hopefully the trend continues and I can find a permanent home in the breaking 90 and breaking 85 threads for the season.

But there's a special vibe in this thread that I love and I'm never leaving regardless of the scores that I shoot. It's been good spending the last few minutes catching up with some of your games. Keep grinding, fellas (and ladies).

@robrandalgz Thanks for the nod. I was more than a little pleased with yesterday's score. Especially the back 9 where I had I had a run of +1 over 6 holes. A couple of them were solo close to being birdies (I've yet to hit my first birdie).

Heading out at the end of this week to either chalk it off as a fluke, or reaffirm that my game is finally coming together. Come the end of the season I might join you in the breaking 90s group!

@robrandalgz Thanks for the nod. I was more than a little pleased with yesterday's score. Especially the back 9 where I had I had a run of +1 over 6 holes. A couple of them were solo close to being birdies (I've yet to hit my first birdie).

Heading out at the end of this week to either chalk it off as a fluke, or reaffirm that my game is finally coming together. Come the end of the season I might join you in the breaking 90s group!
That birdie is coming, my friend. It's just around the corner! And, I'd say that you're on the cusp of that 90s group. You got this, my friend. Just keep working. (y)

It's been a couple of weeks or so since I got out for a round. I hit the range once a week ago. I played today with my brother and two of his boys, which was a lot of fun. The golf wasn't all that great. I carded a 54/51 for a 105. The course we played has a lot of trees and I spent a good part of my day playing in, around and through them. Did do a pretty good job of avoiding the blow up holes, with only two triple bogeys...and a whole bunch of doubles. I think my biggest issue was the short game again. Putting wasn't so bad, but chipping was pretty bad.

We've finally arrived at my fitting week, scheduled for Thursday afternoon. I'm really excited that it is finally here.

Oh, and the weather the last two days have been spectacular. My wife and I got to take our fishing boat out yesterday and then golfing today. It's been a great weekend!

It's been a couple of weeks or so since I got out for a round. I hit the range once a week ago. I played today with my brother and two of his boys, which was a lot of fun. The golf wasn't all that great. I carded a 54/51 for a 105. The course we played has a lot of trees and I spent a good part of my day playing in, around and through them. Did do a pretty good job of avoiding the blow up holes, with only two triple bogeys...and a whole bunch of doubles. I think my biggest issue was the short game again. Putting wasn't so bad, but chipping was pretty bad.

We've finally arrived at my fitting week, scheduled for Thursday afternoon. I'm really excited that it is finally here.

Oh, and the weather the last two days have been spectacular. My wife and I got to take our fishing boat out yesterday and then golfing today. It's been a great weekend!
My turd of a nine holes yesterday was a 51...I guess all things considered...if I had hit just a few shots slightly better, I wouldn't have minded shooting a 47-48 (but still would not have been happy with the overall ball striking).

It really is just a matter of an inch here and there in golf...

My turd of a nine holes yesterday was a 51...I guess all things considered...if I had hit just a few shots slightly better, I wouldn't have minded shooting a 47-48 (but still would not have been happy with the overall ball striking).

It really is just a matter of an inch here and there in golf...
That's pretty much it. I really feel like I've improved a lot this year, even though my scores don't necessarily show it.

Same here.
I've taken several lessons from several instructors trying to find one who might be a good match. In the end, the only thing I felt was beneficial was the short game advice.

What has kept me from getting lessons is fear for finding the wrong guy. And I can't afford to keep looking for the right guy. Its like watching all these videos and reading golf magazines. You have all these different methods of teaching it can muddle the thought process. I just want to keep it simple. Find a swing I can repeat and not make so many mistakes.

I don't ask for much. Hit the ball in the general direction I'm trying to hit it. If I'm 150 yards out being 10 or 15 yards off target or shot is ok. Give me a chance to be somewhere on the green on my next shot. I just don't want to be hitting another shot from 130 yards out because I totally chunked it. Or hitting out of the trees because I sliced or hooked my 7 iron. Or worse, in the water.

I did get some good news just a while ago. My grandson is 18. He graduated from high school last year and has been working at my home course for a year now. He's a single digit handicap so he're pretty good. He never thought about why he can chip so good or drive so well. His boss has been training him to be an instructor. Swing flaws to look for. Gave him a book and video on what instructors look for.

His boss might be the best instructor in my area except he hasn't been giving lessons for a couple years. I hear he's a very low handicap. So now my grandson is giving lessons. And I start with him next week. Best thing of all, its free for me. :love:

That's pretty much it. I really feel like I've improved a lot this year, even though my scores don't necessarily show it.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Yesterday I had a disastrous back nine, but I feel like I am playing much better in spite of that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good afternoon my B100 brethren! I haven't posted in this thread in a while. Sounds like some of you are making some decent improvement and consistency in staying under that 100 mark. @barrelMOnkey what a great turnaround from one round to the next. SUPER JOB!

I had been floating right around the 100 mark for recent weeks. out of my past 7 rounds, I've shot 92, 94, 95, 90, 99 (on league day, of course). My past two rounds I broke into the 80s for the first time this year and in consecutive rounds with 87 last week and 88 yesterday. Hopefully the trend continues and I can find a permanent home in the breaking 90 and breaking 85 threads for the season.

But there's a special vibe in this thread that I love and I'm never leaving regardless of the scores that I shoot. It's been good spending the last few minutes catching up with some of your games. Keep grinding, fellas (and ladies).

Last year I broke 100 once. This year I've been hovering around 100 and broke 90 once. If that trend goes on, next year I will hover around 90 and break 80 once, right? :D

I've played mostly bogey golf this year, adding few blow out holes which increase the average near 100. This is mostly due lack of focus, anxiety (not able to loosen up during round) and fatigue. So I know I am able to play to par-bogey-double quite consistently and I just have to concentrate more, rest well before rounds and develop relaxing routines.

Welp.

After several rounds coming un from 89-95 I went out and shot 107.

Golf is still hard, folks.
There must be something about being in tune if you ask me. I went out one day last week and shot an 83 and the next day I was around 90. Just felt out of sync the next day. Fascinating to me how this occurs in my game. I don't think for me it is about hard, but strange things happen with my game :banghead:

I did make it out briefly for a little range work yesterday. Just got a small bucket of about 40 balls or so...and just tried to let the swing do it's thing without me overthinking it. Started with the 54 degree and worked my way up the ladder to the GW, PW, 8I and 7I, then hit a little driver. Wedges and irons went pretty well. A few duds, but mostly good balls, or at minimum, balls that were maybe not struck well, but would still be playable. Most were pretty solid shots with good flight. Driver was a little wonky but hit some really nice ones...I smashed one with about two balls to go, and should have left those two in the basket, but proceeded to hit a couple of pretty nasty hooks with those. Not wanting to end on a sour note, walked over to the putting green and tossed a few balls down...had a lot of nice putts. Pulled the 58 and chipped onto the green for a few...had some nice chips (I did blade one....but the other 25-30 chips I hit were nice and in the range where I had a shot to one-putt).

Here's hoping I get back in a groove. Supposed to go play with a guy this coming Saturday...don't want another cluster of a round like this last weekend. Probably go to the range once or twice more this week just for quick tune ups...small buckets...quick full swing sessions followed by a little short game work. Really want to keep the short game dialed in as it will save me on the scorecard if other things go south....

I played pretty well in the first round of our club championship Saturday, 51/50 for a 101, easily my best tournament round. Started Sunday pretty well after a three hour rain delay before the wheels fell off a bit on the back nine 53/58 111. I may have tried to putt too aggressively to make up a few strokes and went the other way. Either way I'm not unhappy and it gives me another goal for next year.

Back to the drawing board. After a decent front 9 48 I went into full meltdown mode on the back 9 and shot 57 for a score of 105. Really disappointing. Especially since my normally reliable short game has abandoned me for 2 days in a row.

On the plus side I finally have found a fairway and a hybrid that I can hit. So my long game is improving.

Gotta figure out how to get my wedge game back. New wedges?

Of course.

Back