Trying to Break 100

I shot an 80 on Saturday!!!!

Except it was a 2 man best ball tournament and we still lost by 5...

Also, it was put on by a group of Bourbon enthusiasts and Im pretty sure we did more drinking than golfing. 16 players and each of us brought at least 2 bottles of whiskey to share... I was 3 sheets to the wind by the 4th hole!

Notable shots include putting two in the water on back to back shots (after trash talking the other guy to save us all some time and just throw his ball in the water), 5 wood off the tee to hit a perfect draw (i usually cant hit draws) and put it out 220+ in the fairway, Driver off the deck 240+ (most amazing shot of the round, everyone who saw it was in awe) and a well placed 7 iron off the tee for a 3 foot tap in birdie. (had to do a double shot for that one)

Probably the most fun Ive ever had on a golf course.

...Notable shots include putting two in the water on back to back shots (after trash talking the other guy to save us all some time and just throw his ball in the water)...
Reminds me of one of our sayings - "Confucius say, man who has not yet hit ball should not criticize ball just hit". :ROFLMAO:

It would be helpful to see your technique. Have you thought about making a video? If you post it here (or in the instruction area of THP) there are a lot of really good teachers here that could probably figure out what's going on.

If you're shanking the ball on chip shots, it's probably a swing path issue - making contact with the ball with the hosel end of the club face - usually from coming way over the top. To check this, you could set up a gate drill with two tees (one inside the heel at address, and one outside the toe) & see if you can make chips & keep the club from hitting either tee.

One thing about my practice swing. Its always better than my course swing. For some reason I have a hard time taking my practice game over to the course. When I'm practicing I focus on remembering things in my set up and swing. Its easier because I'm more relaxed. I can't tell you how many times I hit a some bad shots then at some point I realize "Crap, I forgot I'm supposed to (fill in whatever the fix is)". Not to mention what works today may not work tomorrow.

I agree...I usually try to get out somewhat quickly after bad play just to kind of swing away and try to not overthink things. I don't know what my sudden problem is....other than my brain must be getting in the way. I started off terrible yesterday (awful tee shot, awful second shot...) and then just lost it...could never quite get comfortable over the ball...grip felt bad, stance felt bad, swing felt bad. There was a par 3 that was 180+ and I hit a 7 wood and stuck it like 12 feet from the hole (two putted for par)...I think that was the third hole...and I thought, okay, I'm cool...I got this....but...alas....

I did hit a couple nice drivers and like I said lots of good chipping (one almost in the hole to save a par) and the putter was fine..nothing great...but nothing more than a 2 putt all day.

There is just something....off. Just can't figure out what. I think half of it if the guy I was playing with is not good, and he talks all the time, and just wants to go out and have a goof off day, basically. But that doesn't excuse the prior round where I was playing with better golfers than this guy (and usually play well with them) and just completely lost my swing...still trying to get it back from that day....not sure if I need to dial up my old swing coach for a tune up or what. He's a very calm guy...very laid back...very quick to find what you're doing wrong, say "big deal....just do it this way" and get things sort of fixed.

I think, though, I'm going to hit balls with a buddy this afternoon or evening and I hope to just clear my mind, get a comfortable grip, comfortable stance, take a deep breath, and make some nice swings.

EDIT: reflecting on the round...I think a huge problem was topping the ball....I think there was something with my setup that was forcing tops...whether I was too upright, or playing the ball too far up or back in stance, or whatever...I'm not sure. I gotta get back to a nice smooth swing, not trying to do too much, and let the clubs work. I know, based on earlier play/practice this spring, the good swing is somewhere in there.....

Looking back on the scorecard...the par 3 was the second hole. So I played holes 2, 4, 5, 8 pretty well (sort of). And at least had a nice par and salvaged bogey's on the other three despite myself. One thing I hadn't done in a long time was triple bogey, and I did it twice (a par 5 and par 4). Some of it was playing dumb. the rough was awful, and after the first time I tried to hit shots out of it, I said out loud, next time I get in that stuff so deep, Im just gonna lob it back to the fairway....the next triple I got, I ignored my own advice and tried to play the shots out of the rough again....so that killed me twice.

But really, my swing was just a mess....just hitting worm burners all day.....
I’ve done same thing, so many times.

Good afternoon my B100 brethren! I haven't posted in this thread in a while. Sounds like some of you are making some decent improvement and consistency in staying under that 100 mark. @barrelMOnkey what a great turnaround from one round to the next. SUPER JOB!

I had been floating right around the 100 mark for recent weeks. out of my past 7 rounds, I've shot 92, 94, 95, 90, 99 (on league day, of course). My past two rounds I broke into the 80s for the first time this year and in consecutive rounds with 87 last week and 88 yesterday. Hopefully the trend continues and I can find a permanent home in the breaking 90 and breaking 85 threads for the season.

But there's a special vibe in this thread that I love and I'm never leaving regardless of the scores that I shoot. It's been good spending the last few minutes catching up with some of your games. Keep grinding, fellas (and ladies).
Great job!! Love hearing this type of thing. While I may not get better, it still warms the cockles (giggity) of my hear when someone does well.

I have to qualify my previous post by stating that my regular courses - 9 hole and exec - have MUCH better grass than the two courses I played this weekend. So I am used to first cuts that are fairly consistent and pristine. The course I played yesterday is not well maintained and the grass is terrible. So even in the middle of the fairway you may be hitting out of some terrible stuff. I am used to favorable lies from 120 and in and I hit my wedges decently. Yesterday it was like hitting off a cart path or worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roll that ball until you lie the lie. I won’t say a word.

If golf thinks you're starting to feel too good about yourself it feels a swift kick to the **** is in order. Golf in the league tonight was a disaster, I don't know exactly what I shot but expect it was 53-55 and this is on a fairly easy course.

It appears the golf blues are making the rounds in this thread, but for me this was one of those rounds that really questions why you're out there in the first place.

Dave

Last edited:
If golf thinks you're starting to feel too good about yourself it feels a swift kick to the **** is in order. Golf in the league tonight was a disaster, I don't know exactly what I shot but expect it was 53-55 and this is on a fairly easy course.

It appears the golf blues are making the rounds in this thread, but for me this was one of those rounds that really questions why you're out there in the first place.

Dave
Because it's fun!!! Right? Right!?!?

Dave

Yeah, sometimes I get so discouraged after a bad round I start thinking maybe I should back off this game for a while. Consider how much I want to invest emotionally into it. And financially. Maybe bowling might be my game. Then, the next day I start getting the itch and want to go out and fix the problems.

Because it's fun!!! Right? Right!?!?
giphy.gif

golf-fail-2.gif

AnotherQuaintIceblueredtopzebra-max-1mb.gif

Yeah, sometimes I get so discouraged after a bad round I start thinking maybe I should back off this game for a while. Consider how much I want to invest emotionally into it. And financially. Maybe bowling might be my game. Then, the next day I start getting the itch and want to go out and fix the problems.
sounds like me lately...haha. I'm just like what am I doing with myself? But...then....out I go again.

sounds like me lately...haha. I'm just like what am I doing with myself? But...then....out I go again.

Last time out it wasn't terrible as far as the score. Definitely done worse. But I got off to such a good start it felt like a terrible round. I was one over par after the first 4 holes. After that it was just a struggle.

Its hard to figure out. For a while I was getting better at reducing the triple bogeys. But I wasn't getting enough pars to offset the doubles. The last couple rounds I'm making more pars but also more triples again. The final scores were upper 90's both ways.

after doing a short range session Sunday to recover from my terrible Saturday round...I took Monday off and went last night to do another short session. Small bucket...again, starting with the 54 degree, and not thinking too much about the swing...trying to let it happen naturally. If I was focused on anything it was proper setup, aim, and then just letting the swing go. Hit the 54, GW, PW (aim was a little off at first...got that figured out and was firing some shots at a flag that would have been solid approach shots). Moved to the 7 iron and hit it pretty well. MOved to the 3H and had a couple duds, then a couple nice strikes. MOved to driver and largely hit it well...just trying to not ramp up swing at all (and kill it)...maintaining a focus on swinging at about 60-70% and hitting some really nice drives. Some of them seemed a touch high - which makes me wonder if - now that I'm getting used to this new driver - I should readjust the loft back to the standard degree (10.5....I have been playing at 11.5). Not something I'm in a hurry to do...and we'll see how I keep hitting it at 11.5 for now.

Followed up again with some chipping and a little putting. Chipping went largely well (again using the 58 to chip) and putting wasn't bad. Worked on some longer lags and then would just drop a few balls from 3 to 5 feet and work on those close ones....don't want to botch a good score on a hole by missing a 4 footer....

All in all...I'm happy with my recovery this week thus far....I have a round on the books for Saturday morning...thinking I'll take tonight off and try another small bucket Thursday or Friday.

I think I'm definitely liking the small buckets at this point though...I usually vary the bucket size depending on what I want to work on, but frankly, small bucket is plenty - and it keeps me dialed in...rather than getting to balls 60 thru 85 in my practice round and hitting a bunch of crap because I've lost focus. Most ranges around here, the small buckets are around 40-45 balls, I think, and that's plenty for the most part.

Back to square one, with the worst round I have ever recorded. 62-55 for 117.
From the very first tee to the last it was a struggle. I lost 7 balls in the round. Nothing clicked at all.

So disappointing because for the last couple of weeks I've been really improving, and all week at the range I've been hitting superb shots. I was full of confidence stepping up, instantly brought down to earth, and then spent 4 hours in hell.

I hate this game.

From the very first tee to the last it was a struggle. I lost 7 balls in the round. Nothing clicked at all.

So disappointing because for the last couple of weeks I've been really improving, and all week at the range I've been hitting superb shots. I was full of confidence stepping up, instantly brought down to earth, and then spent 4 hours in hell.

I hate this game.
So....got a round booked for the weekend?? 😉😉🤣

So....got a round booked for the weekend?? 😉😉🤣

Well...yes. but that's only because it was already booked, and it would be rude to cancel it with only 48 hours notice.

I hate this game.
It is golf and can happen. My buddy was doing so well, starting to get right around a 100 and the last two league games he played he really struggled. Last one was a 117 as well. The thing is he has a decent swing and I know he can play in the 90s if things would sync for him, but for some reason it has been really tough for him.

I was playing pretty decent down in the 80s and low 90s, then all of a sudden I carded a 100 - seemed like my game completely fell apart that day. However, the other day I shot a PB on the tough local course with a 39 and 44. You got to get back on the horse as they say. It will turn around for you.

Well...yes. but that's only because it was already booked, and it would be rude to cancel it with only 48 hours notice.
Have to keep up with the decorum. We’re not savages.

I hate this game.
As I’ve said before, when that happens, the only club you should touch is your 7-iron. Use it to get the groove back, then the rest of the bag opens up.

Sometimes you have to look out for #1. If you don't want to play then cancel.

Dave

I hate this game.
Welcome to golf, lol. I’ve been shooting low/mid 80s pretty consistently, then out of nowhere a couple weeks ago I shot a 98. Same course I’ve been playing, same equipment, same everything - just a bad day.

Hang in there, it happens. Even the pros have bad days!

Played 18 today. The usual barely break 100. 50/48 for a 98. My grandson was with me. He shot a 74. He shot a one under 35 on the front 9. He double bogeyed number 17 a par 3. His tee shot found water. Its nice someone could play well.

Snowman mentioned posting a video of my swing. I honestly don't think that will help. My range swing is very different from my course swing. I don't know why. The other day I was hitting as well as I ever have at the range. Even my practice swings on the course aren't bad. I take a couple practice swings before I hit the ball. The club brushes the grass nicely. Looks good. Then I hit several inches behind the ball. Or a worm burner because I don't want to chunk it 30 yards.

On the back nine I was totally swinging like I'm chopping wood. The club head digs down deep. If the the grass isn't too soft it will literally stop my swing from hitting the ground so hard. I have no fix for that. On the range I don't do that. So someone analyzing my swing on the range probably wouldn't know how to fix it because it doesn't look like there is anything to fix. It only happens on the course.

Played 18 today. The usual barely break 100. 50/48 for a 98. My grandson was with me. He shot a 74. He shot a one under 35 on the front 9. He double bogeyed number 17 a par 3. His tee shot found water. Its nice someone could play well.

Snowman mentioned posting a video of my swing. I honestly don't think that will help. My range swing is very different from my course swing. I don't know why. The other day I was hitting as well as I ever have at the range. Even my practice swings on the course aren't bad. I take a couple practice swings before I hit the ball. The club brushes the grass nicely. Looks good. Then I hit several inches behind the ball. Or a worm burner because I don't want to chunk it 30 yards.

On the back nine I was totally swinging like I'm chopping wood. The club head digs down deep. If the the grass isn't too soft it will literally stop my swing from hitting the ground so hard. I have no fix for that. On the range I don't do that. So someone analyzing my swing on the range probably wouldn't know how to fix it because it doesn't look like there is anything to fix. It only happens on the course.

Grandson's got game! Nice!

Dave

Back