Trying to Break 100

Played 9 and shot a PB 41. Had an old set of Adams irons in the bag since the Hogan’s were still curing from the graphite switch. Really struggled with the driver today but kept it in play. Irons, wedges, and putter were all solid.

Glad quite a few of you where able to get out to play today. thommo.sx that is a nice looking course.

LLIB;n8903212 said:
Played 9 and shot a PB 41. Had an old set of Adams irons in the bag since the Hogan’s were still curing from the graphite switch. Really struggled with the driver today but kept it in play. Irons, wedges, and putter were all solid.

Changing irons after a personal best? Brave man :)

Dave

I was able to make it out again today, this time playing in the drizzle and shot 45 on a course that typically has eaten my lunch when wild with the driver. The driving game was good with 4/7 fairways and getting some better distance leading to 4 pars, 3 bogeys, and 2 unfortunate triples. Highlights of the day were a 7 iron GIR and 9 iron knockdown GIR each with a reasonable birdie putt. The triples were caused by one tree/chipping adventure and a putting adventure. Oh well, have to enjoy the good shots and forget the bad ones:)

Dave

dthrog00;n8903238 said:
Changing irons after a personal best? Brave man :)

Dave

Haha, only reason they were in the bag is because I swapped to graphite in my gamers and the epoxy was still curing. I played solid with them but they’re definitely lacking in forgiveness and are about a club and a half shorter than I’m used to

Nice looking course thommo.sx which one is it?

Love those teasing short par 4 holes....tempts you to try and drive the green but can make you look a fool at the same time
We have one at our course - 265-275yds depending on which tees you play, and I have been on the green but also been in the bunkers that protect it at either side of the front
Sensible shot is a mid-iron to put yourself in a good position to attack the pin with a wedge, but who wants to be sensible all the time.....? :alien:

TheDoctor, Snickerdog - it's Hainault Lower course - it was in a Peter Alliss book of something like 100 best pay & play courses in England. And agreed - it's a mid-iron / hybrid and chip all day long. Of course it is. I decided I was hitting the Thriver pretty well, got a nasty bounce right about 50 yards short of the right hand greenside bunker and it went 8 feet Oscar Bravo - the line of which I didn't see as it was either overgrown near us, out of sight past the near foliage or in the middle of those trees, right of the green. C'est la guerre.

Both the Upper and the Lower are great courses, We've essentially cut ourselves down, via mutual agreement, to a rota of about 7 tracks now that meet all our criteria (quality, enjoyment, lack of playing time restrictions, price and location), and both the Hainault courses are on our rota, and top of nearly everyone's lists.

Last edited:
Happy Monday all! My last week of treatments. I hope to go to the range on the 21st to hit a few balls and get back in the swing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Golf Dawg;n8903434 said:
Happy Monday all! My last week of treatments. I hope to go to the range on the 21st to hit a few balls and get back in the swing!

That is awesome news!!!! :clapp:

Snickerdog;n8903441 said:
That is awesome news!!!! :clapp:

Yes, considering where I was five weeks ago. The plan is to stop all treatments and see if the staph infection comes back, especially in the hip joint. I’m fairly confident it won’t, given the significant decline in the important blood tests, but we have to be sure.

I’m looking forward to making sawdust in the shop and hitting the links!

Golf Dawg;n8903447 said:
Yes, considering where I was five weeks ago. The plan is to stop all treatments and see if the staph infection comes back, especially in the hip joint. I’m fairly confident it won’t, given the significant decline in the important blood tests, but we have to be sure.

I’m looking forward to making sawdust in the shop and hitting the links!

That's great to hear!

Standard 18 on Saturday, standard 9 on Sunday. Didn't keep score on Saturday, Sunday was a 51, including a 10 on one hole. Two pars, so that was nice. Nothing ground-breaking, nothing soul-killing.

Edit: I did notice one thing slightly out of the ordinary. I hit my hybrids better if I have the ball a bit more towards my left foot rather than centered or slightly towards my right foot.

Golf Dawg;n8903434 said:

Great to hear Golf Dawg!

thommo.sx;n8902561 said:
47+51=98 today.

Actually fairly happy :good: New course to both me and my usual partner - greens were incredibly tricky, but lovely track.

Great looking course.

Have you ever played at Aldeburgh Golf Club? I used to play at this course with my dad when we were stationed at RAF Bentwaters/Woodbridge back in the 1980's.

No, but I will check it out. My Mum & Dad live just down the road from Woodbridge in Melton :good:

Golf Dawg;n8903434 said:

Awesome to hear!

I’m heading out for 9 after work. We’ll see if I can top the 41 I shot yesterday

League playoffs started tonight - without me. The rest of us played 2-man scramble. I was paired with a pretty solid A player & we finished -2 for 9 holes (don't know if we won; I had to leave right after the 9th hole). I made a birdie putt & a few nice drives after my partner had hit into trouble. Best drive was (by my estimation) 270ish down valley & 2/3rds up the next hill. (Hole is listed at 406, and I lasered flag at 94 yards - but there is no effing way I drove it 300+ yards lol!) It was definitely my longest drive ever on that hole, which is very narrow with trouble/trees right and left.

LLIB;n8903819 said:
I’m heading out for 9 after work. We’ll see if I can top the 41 I shot yesterday

Nope, lol. Shot a 48. Irons are gonna take a couple rounds to get used to. Had a few pull-hooks with them that cost me. Everything else was fairly solid.

Just booked a little golf break for 4 of us (Jen, my usual playing partner and his wife) next month, so hoping the weather will stay okay

Couldn't really turn it down when it was only £99 for dinner, bed and breakfast and 2 rounds of golf at Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel

Tee time booked for Saturday at a course I haven't played for quite some time - not the best of courses (unless the condition has changed), but it might help prepare me for the conditions I expect to see for the league match on Sunday
Greens were always sloooooooow, but I expect the same on Sunday so I am hoping that it will give me some practice on slower greens than I am used to playing now

It's been a while since I posted here. Not a lot of golf unfortunately.

Played a really nice course Friday but thunderstorms cut the round short. Best shot was a full 9i into the middle of the green on hole 3. It's probably about 350-360 yard hole, slight dogleg right. There's water left of the elevated green with a slope that will push anything barely left down into the water. Hit a solid drive, not overly long but accurate - left edge of the fairway giving me the ideal angle. Pin was on the right edge of the green, deep bunker just right of that, so it was a sucker pin. Fairway slopes to the left so the ball was above my feet. Didn't want to shoot at the pin since a slight push would put me in the bunker. Too far left with a draw lie and I'm wet. Finally hit a short iron flush, right were I aimed, small draw. Left me a longer putt, but it felt like the right way to play the hole.

Other highlight was a 30 yard pitch in after a terrible tee shot on the previous hole. That was honestly more luck than anything. Rains came in and the game (and distance!!) suffered a bit but was 7 over at the turn when we stopped. I'll take that any day of the week. Short game was keeping me in it, as ball striking wasn't where it needs to be for most of the round.

LLIB;n8904186 said:
Nope, lol. Shot a 48. Irons are gonna take a couple rounds to get used to. Had a few pull-hooks with them that cost me. Everything else was fairly solid.

Out of curiosity, what are the Adams irons?

Dave

dthrog00;n8904987 said:
Out of curiosity, what are the Adams irons?

Dave

CB3’s w/KBS 90

LLIB;n8905002 said:
CB3’s w/KBS 90

I remember really liking the looks of those. Adams were fans of visible tech, but man they knew how to make attractive irons.

obedt;n8905010 said:
I remember really liking the looks of those. Adams were fans of visible tech, but man they knew how to make attractive irons.

They are really playable for what they are but there’s really no comparison to my Hogan’s.

Back