Trying to Break 100

Playing tomorrow on a course i shot 120 on last Saturday. I did not play well. I expect to be close to 100.. just how much closer we will see. Who knows a miracle might happen and I might not shank half my irons :)

110. I’ll take that. Some decent play some absolute mares but going in the right direction. If it wasn’t for an 8 and two 6’s on some par threes it wasn’t a terrible round. Even pulled off a par and a birdie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Course Management.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Shot 76 on my local par 59 exec. For me anything under 80 is a good day. So I felt pretty good. Especially on the back 9.

If its getting too close to the tee time I won't hit any warm up balls. I learned the hard way what rushing yourself will do. I just wait for my turn at the first tee and take my time. Even if it means not warming up. Last time I rushed some warmup balls on the range and ran up to the first tee, I had my worst start ever.
I'm learning that I need to at least warm up by stretching or swinging a couple clubs if I am going to have any consistency. Otherwise my stance and swing change over the next 9 holes as I start to loosen up.

Point taken about the hurrying though. I think that screws with my mental focus.

Shot a 45 this morning and combined it with the 47 from the last 9 holes I played at that course for an 18 hole total of 92 (hndcp diff of 22.4). One of the better 18 hole scores this season.

This mornings round was odd. Lots of doubles but nothing higher than that. In addition, 2 birdies, 1 par and 1 bogey. No penalties but lots of thinly hit 3h shots. The 2 birdies came on both par 3's with one leaving a mid-range putt and the other a tap-in. Both were off of 9i tee shots. Needless to say, that club felt very good today as did the gap wedge. Putting was a little better than average and even I even felt like I had better club face control with the driver. Overall, I took a little more time and a little less risk throughout the round.

Shot a 52 today, missing every fairway! Had some incredible luck shooting out of the trees on two holes to hit the green in two which is the only reason the score wasn’t higher. Annoyingly I thinned everything in the 10-40 yard range, flying the green more often than not.

So, went out with three buddies on Saturday, hit a few nice shots, hit a bunch of OK shots, and some real bad shots. Got fairly lubed by the turn and stopped keeping score. Played a cool track called Deer Ridge, that I've played with GolfersAnonymous, Smiter, and ntanygd760 previously.

Morning guys, hope all of you where out and breaking 100 this weekend.

Morning! Yep mark me as a check for that. I easily broke through 100 and pushed 110! :dohanim:

Well, I had a wonderful time! Stopped caring about the score after my second potent potable.

Played a beautiful course today. Darkhorse in Auburn, CA. It's under new management. It was purchased a year ago and it isn't quite in perfect conditions but even with the minor things that need to be done it's by far the most beautiful course I've played this year. Just about every hole looks like a signature hole.

Enough about that...lol The day started off with a 2hr drive to the course. Hit the driving range and I was a bit all over the board but have been in the process of changing my swing. I'm working on trying to play a consistent draw. So my goal was to see if it was working and decide if I would play my old swing or the new swing. First hole couldn't have started any better. Hit the fairway, the green and 1 putt for a birdie..... In my last 11 rounds including this one I have 3 birdies. All in all I had 3 pars and the Birdie. The rest of the holes were mostly double's with a couple of triples sprinkled in with some unmentionables where I was OB and Water Hazards. Finished with a 104. But sticking with the positive.
- Hit 57% of Fairways
- 36 Putts
- Draw was working with 5, 6, 7 & 8 irons
- I hit my 4 Iron perfect on 2of3 shots
- On a up hill par 4 I had 191yds to the pin and I knocked pin high and is settled 15 ft. passed the hole. I don't get a lot of GIR's, especially when I use the 4 iron. But a 2 putt gave me one of my pars.
- On the 18th I had 168 to the pin. My 7 Iron was my 150 club. Since getting my new Irons I've been about 145yds. Hitting this draw I noticed in my last range session that I seemed to be playing longer with this drive. Long story short I knocked it stiff 8ft from the hole with no roll out.
- I play with a 19 HC right now. 2 of the guys playing with me today play with a 5HC, 7HC and a 17HC. I was the only one to get a Birdie today.
- Again I walked off the course feeling much better than my final score. I truly feel like the game is coming together.

As I mentioned I am in the middle of a swing change right now. I've been deep diving on YouTube and found Zen Golf Mechanics. I really like these guys and their process. I wish there was something similar in my area of Northern California. Specifically the SF Bay Area. I live in Brentwood. If you haven't seen them you should check them out. Their main thing is getting to a natural movement. They have 2 beliefs that I've taken.
- The body has a great natural swing and lower body movement, balance and range of motion
- Hitting a purely straight shot (which most, beginners especially, strive to do) is impractical when you break the percentages down of actually squaring the club head

It seems most of there clients have been playing for a long time and are more looking to tune up there swing and are looking for a new style. They believe and work on the draw mostly. They will work the cut and fade some. But most of it is a push draw and a big draw. Just about everyone they work with seems to gain 20 yds to which ever club they are working on. Based on my early results I'm seeing a surprising gain in distance as well as striking the ball more consistently. My playing partner today made mention of how I was crushing my irons today and as I said in my positive take away's my 7 iron on that last shot to the green went about 20yds further than what I've been hitting. I think the reason for this is my work on the new swing. Playing the shot with intention and working on my natural range of motion, I've gone from 1/2 to 3/4 very controlled swing trying to hit the ball square at impact. To comfortable and fluid feeling full shot where I just concentrate on staying inside the ball to get that draw. We'll see if the experiment continues to work. Consistency is the name of the game. I really need more range work because I've never been able to purposely hit the draw. And although the mid irons seem to be working with the 5iron and 6iron I can't seem to get the draw so I don't want to even try on the course. Just hitting it straight off to the right isn't beneficial.

Well I've rambled enough. Thanks for listening.

cool track called Deer Ridge
Had to double take that and check where you live.... I was living in Deer Ridge. Golf course same name. However, I'm in Brentwood, California. The northern Brentwood. And that track closed up shop 2yrs ago. Now it's just open space.

110. I’ll take that. Some decent play some absolute mares but going in the right direction. If it wasn’t for an 8 and two 6’s on some par threes it wasn’t a terrible round. Even pulled off a par and a birdie

I'm in that same place. 120s to 110s currently. It's amazing how a couple of good holes drop your score so dramatically and on the other side just a few bad ones really push you up over 100. If we stay 110 or so, just shave off one stroke every other hole and we're at the cusp of 100. Just one stroke every two holes and we're there!

Well, I did it. I played a round using no club longer than the 7 from the fairways with the exception of a 195 yard par 3. I used the hybrid on that one. Hit it decently. Got to withing 15 yards. Chipped on and two putted for bogey which is fine for me.

The results were mixed. I will say I only had one triple and that was a 3 putt. But I did have more doubles than I thought I would with that game plan. Shot a decent 96. I played bogey golf again on the back nine. One double and one par with the rest bogeys. The front nine was not too good. More holes that are longer making the 3rd shot longer chips. Plus I missed a few fairways. A couple were over 50 yards on my birdie shot. I missed the green on both. Tripled one and doubled the other.

I will say if I was better with the driver I think I coulda easily scored in the low 90's. I did hit a lot more clean irons than normal. But my usually reliable driver was off. Only hit half the fairways. I'm usually good for 9 or 10 fairways. The 7 iron or less strategy is fine if I can hit more fairways. Only one par on the day. It was a shorter par 4 where I hit the green in regulation. I had the distance for the green on several but was off with the accuracy. Still, no shanks using the shorter clubs. So maybe I'm on to something while I work on the longer ones.

Played a beautiful course today. Darkhorse in Auburn, CA. It's under new management. It was purchased a year ago and it isn't quite in perfect conditions but even with the minor things that need to be done it's by far the most beautiful course I've played this year. Just about every hole looks like a signature hole.

Enough about that...lol The day started off with a 2hr drive to the course. Hit the driving range and I was a bit all over the board but have been in the process of changing my swing. I'm working on trying to play a consistent draw. So my goal was to see if it was working and decide if I would play my old swing or the new swing. First hole couldn't have started any better. Hit the fairway, the green and 1 putt for a birdie..... In my last 11 rounds including this one I have 3 birdies. All in all I had 3 pars and the Birdie. The rest of the holes were mostly double's with a couple of triples sprinkled in with some unmentionables where I was OB and Water Hazards. Finished with a 104. But sticking with the positive.
- Hit 57% of Fairways
- 36 Putts
- Draw was working with 5, 6, 7 & 8 irons
- I hit my 4 Iron perfect on 2of3 shots
- On a up hill par 4 I had 191yds to the pin and I knocked pin high and is settled 15 ft. passed the hole. I don't get a lot of GIR's, especially when I use the 4 iron. But a 2 putt gave me one of my pars.
- On the 18th I had 168 to the pin. My 7 Iron was my 150 club. Since getting my new Irons I've been about 145yds. Hitting this draw I noticed in my last range session that I seemed to be playing longer with this drive. Long story short I knocked it stiff 8ft from the hole with no roll out.
- I play with a 19 HC right now. 2 of the guys playing with me today play with a 5HC, 7HC and a 17HC. I was the only one to get a Birdie today.
- Again I walked off the course feeling much better than my final score. I truly feel like the game is coming together.

As I mentioned I am in the middle of a swing change right now. I've been deep diving on YouTube and found Zen Golf Mechanics. I really like these guys and their process. I wish there was something similar in my area of Northern California. Specifically the SF Bay Area. I live in Brentwood. If you haven't seen them you should check them out. Their main thing is getting to a natural movement. They have 2 beliefs that I've taken.
- The body has a great natural swing and lower body movement, balance and range of motion
- Hitting a purely straight shot (which most, beginners especially, strive to do) is impractical when you break the percentages down of actually squaring the club head

It seems most of there clients have been playing for a long time and are more looking to tune up there swing and are looking for a new style. They believe and work on the draw mostly. They will work the cut and fade some. But most of it is a push draw and a big draw. Just about everyone they work with seems to gain 20 yds to which ever club they are working on. Based on my early results I'm seeing a surprising gain in distance as well as striking the ball more consistently. My playing partner today made mention of how I was crushing my irons today and as I said in my positive take away's my 7 iron on that last shot to the green went about 20yds further than what I've been hitting. I think the reason for this is my work on the new swing. Playing the shot with intention and working on my natural range of motion, I've gone from 1/2 to 3/4 very controlled swing trying to hit the ball square at impact. To comfortable and fluid feeling full shot where I just concentrate on staying inside the ball to get that draw. We'll see if the experiment continues to work. Consistency is the name of the game. I really need more range work because I've never been able to purposely hit the draw. And although the mid irons seem to be working with the 5iron and 6iron I can't seem to get the draw so I don't want to even try on the course. Just hitting it straight off to the right isn't beneficial.

Well I've rambled enough. Thanks for listening.

Keep at it, better scores will come yet.

Dave

I'M BACK! Played for the first time in over a year.... Shot 119 which isn't bad, I didn't think. Enjoyed my one length irons and hybrids. Drove it like a beast - best part of my game today. Most importantly I had fun and didn't embarrass myself. I played pretty decent, all in all. EVEN MADE A PAR!

After 18 holes on Monday I'm surprised I had the energy to hit the range yesterday. They installed monitors to track the shots. For 20 bucks an hour you can play your choice of hundreds of golf courses. Pebble Beach, Congressional, St Andrews, etc. But you have to hit off the mats for that.

I went with my grandson who is now giving lessons. He noticed I was breaking my wrists on the backswing. But he also recommended I keep doing that. I've had a bad back for over 30 year after an accident. I can't turn as much as I'd like so breaking the wrists helps bring the club back further. He knows my mobility isn't as good so he worked on keeping my right elbow closer to the body. That seems to limit how much I break my wrists.

By keeping both arms straight at address and making sure my elbow stays close to my side on the down swing, it really helped with the push on the irons. I was cutting across the ball. You could see the divot going left but the ball going right. Now its much straighter.

He also swing my 6 iron to get a feel for it. He recommended I try to hit it just like I would the hybrid. Sweep instead of a little divot. That made a big difference too. I'm hoping its something I can sustain over time. All I know is I was hitting that 6 iron better than I ever have.

He told me he wouldn't recommend my grip and backswing on the driver. But it works for me so don't change anything. I probably hit just as many fairways as he does in an average round. And its not like its something new that I might not sustain. I've been using that style for the last year and half with good results.

Next lesson will be on the putting green. That kid is like money from 6 feet. He's going show me how he sets up and what he reads.

Going out in a little while so we shall see how this turns out. Am I the only one that gets excited when I Par a hole lol

All technique and swing thoughts aside, I would say that if you can do these 3 things, you should be able to break 100 from now on:

1) Be able to hook the crap out of a ball on purpose
2) Be able to slice the crap out of a ball on purpose
3) Be able to hit ball first and ground second on all iron shots, chips and pitches

If I gave you a ping-pong ball and paddle and stood 20' away from you, could you hit the ball to me with a huge right-to-left curve? Could you hit the ball to me with a huge left-to-right curve? YES, you could do that without thinking and the same concepts allow you to master the 1st 2 items above.

If your golf ball is sitting on a mat and the bottom of that ball is covered in black paint, could you hit the ball with an iron so that you would make a 3-inch black mark on that mat? In the same scenario, could you make a 2-inch black mark with a pitch or chip shot? I think you could, and that's how the magic happens!

Doing #3 alone would probably get anyone to shoot sub-100 regularly. Distance, distance control, accuracy and spin are all accomplished by mastering that one little thing.

The first 2 are nice weapons to have for escape/trouble shots, and can help you navigate doglegs or avoid trouble. They have the added bonus of teaching you to be a shot-maker and you'll get to the point where you can feel what it takes to hit draws or fades instead of hooks and slices.

Golf is still the hardest freaking sport on the planet and that's why we love it. But I'm firmly convinced that mastering those 3 things will make anyone struggling to break 100 a better player. Good luck!

Scuffled to a 96 on my local par 68 course. I did my typical blowup on holes 1-3 before settling down a bit. If I could just play bogey golf on the first 3 holes of this course I’d have a shot at breaking 90.

First time out with the Cleveland HB Soft Premier putter that I am reviewing for THP. The verdict is still out, but I am putting a bit better than with my regular gamer, so it may be a keeper.

9fd189a59fb062d6f85211a157ce645f.jpg

87fccb9bf8e098eb5c402ff034d6a8cc.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back