Trying to Break 100

Shot my best round ever today! 42/50-92 on an unfamiliar course. Add to that the fact that I got a great rate through Golfnow and it was a win-win-win.

I really appreciate having to grind on my local courses which are less than forgiving, because this course had fairways that are like range mats. I was hitting off nearly perfect lies all day.

The short game and putter were working and I may have missed maybe 3 fairways but ended up in the first cut, which was also like a carpet.

Fun day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t do any of those things. I can come closest to number three, but I certainly can’t pull it off on every shot. I think that’s the deal...most of probably can’t do any single thing on every shot.
I believe there are a lot of different possibilities as to why folks have trouble breaking 100. Those who can break 100 will often give advice on what it takes. While those suggestions are great for some or most, they are not universal.

Of course there are high cappers who execute well enough to break 100 but do not because of poor decisions. For those, it might come down to course management. But that's not the case for many others. There are also those who can execute difficult shots while practicing excellent course management, but fail enough on simple shots to prevent shooting in the 90's. There are good putters who are poor ball strikers and decent ball strikers who are poor at putting. Others can play at the level of high 80's/low 90's golf... but only for 9 holes before everything goes to hell... Every. Single. Round.

My point is that there is no single piece of advice or skill that will help everyone. For most of us, it is a combination of more than one weakness. The good news is that for most, it just takes time, repetition and effort to get to the next level.

One thing I've noticed when playing with mid-cappers is that they aren't constantly pulling off amazing shots that we high cappers cannot make. I also notice they will occasionally hit the same poor shots that we often hit. The biggest difference is 1) the frequency at which those mistakes are made and 2) the magnitude of their misses. In addition, there is usually at least one skill that they are noticeably better at. They may hit more fairways seemingly with ease, or they are getting a little closer to the hole on chips, or sinking a few more mid range putts.

Their game doesn't appear as a stark contrast to mine, yet by the end of the round all those "slight" differences will add up to 10,15, or even 20 strokes.

Just shot my PB 92. Couple more under 95 and I might be graduating to the breaking 90 thread.

I don't want to jinx myself but I think the range and chipping/putting green have started to pay off. I posted a 90 on a par 73 today which makes it two sub 100 rounds in a row!!

I've got a round booked for tomorrow afternoon to put the streak on the line.

I believe there are a lot of different possibilities as to why folks have trouble breaking 100. Those who can break 100 will often give advice on what it takes. While those suggestions are great for some or most, they are not universal.

Of course there are high cappers who execute well enough to break 100 but do not because of poor decisions. For those, it might come down to course management. But that's not the case for many others. There are also those who can execute difficult shots while practicing excellent course management, but fail enough on simple shots to prevent shooting in the 90's. There are good putters who are poor ball strikers and decent ball strikers who are poor at putting. Others can play at the level of high 80's/low 90's golf... but only for 9 holes before everything goes to hell... Every. Single. Round.

My point is that there is no single piece of advice or skill that will help everyone. For most of us, it is a combination of more than one weakness. The good news is that for most, it just takes time, repetition and effort to get to the next level.

One thing I've noticed when playing with mid-cappers is that they aren't constantly pulling off amazing shots that we high cappers cannot make. I also notice they will occasionally hit the same poor shots that we often hit. The biggest difference is 1) the frequency at which those mistakes are made and 2) the magnitude of their misses. In addition, there is usually at least one skill that they are noticeably better at. They may hit more fairways seemingly with ease, or they are getting a little closer to the hole on chips, or sinking a few more mid range putts.

Their game doesn't appear as a stark contrast to mine, yet by the end of the round all those "slight" differences will add up to 10,15, or even 20 strokes.

Yup...all of that applies to me. The only thing missing is the mental game. I may have a great day getting off the tee box until you put water in front of it...then I’m wet for sure. I might have my slice tamed until the trees are close on the right side...then I’m in them. I may be chipping and pitching well until you put a bunker between me and the green...then I’m in it. I might be putting well until I have a four footer for birdie...then I three putt.

This may sound simplistic, but when I keep my ball in the fairway it feels like a completely different game. Lately I have been hitting more fairways off the tee and the game seems a lot easier when I just do that.

It's definitely slowing down here. Are you guys getting ready to call it a year?

Dave

I'm still waiting for it to cool down so I can play in the afternoons when rates are cheaper. Supposed to be triple digit temps Monday and Tuesday. Golf in my area is year round. Afternoon temps in Dec and January are usually mid 50's. The only thing that keeps us from playing is the rainy days. Which really isn't a lot. Maybe 5 to 10 days a month at the most. 10 days a month would be a very wet season. We might get delayed a bit in the mornings. Courses won't let you play until it hits 40 degrees. I guess morning frost isn't good for greens if we're trampling on them.

Yup...all of that applies to me. The only thing missing is the mental game. I may have a great day getting off the tee box until you put water in front of it...then I’m wet for sure. I might have my slice tamed until the trees are close on the right side...then I’m in them. I may be chipping and pitching well until you put a bunker between me and the green...then I’m in it. I might be putting well until I have a four footer for birdie...then I three putt.

That is my game in a nutshell. Most times I do break 100. But not by much. I'm not there where I can be in the breaking 90 thread. Its not like I can pinpoint one thing in my game. Some days I'm driving well. Others I'm chipping good enough to make bogeys. Others I'm making putts. Or sometimes I'm hitting my irons better than ever. While there is always some part of my game that keeps me from going over 100, there also is always some part of my game that keeps me from getting to the lower 90's.

I'm usually a good hitter at the range. But for some reason I can't take that to the course. I've had some guys tell me no way I could be a high handicapper the way I hit at the range. But I am a high handicapper on the course. One elderly gentleman probably hit the nail on the head when he told me "You think too much". If I can clear my head and swing like the range, I can be much better. So far I haven't been able to achieve that.

Back to normal today. Matching 52s for a score of 104 at the obstacle course that is River View. At this point I have a choice to make. Do I 1) continue to play this course until I can break 100 consistently, or 2) Just realize some courses don’t fit my game and just play elsewhere?

We’ll see.
b7052b21a7582921e70b27c7940c6a0a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The mental game plays some role for me as well - but not that much. There are some who might feel a lack of confidence is part of the problem.... kind of self-fulfilling prophecy thing. But that's really not an issue. I know exactly where my game is. It's as crystal clear to me what needs to happen as it is crystal clear that I cannot make that happen.

So the answer (for me) is to stop beating my head against the wall to try and improve or hoping something will one day "click". Instead, I need to just get out there to enjoy the good shots and the time spent out on the course. Easier said than done, but still do-able.

Back to normal today. Matching 52s for a score of 104 at the obstacle course that is River View. At this point I have a choice to make. Do I 1) continue to play this course until I can break 100 consistently, or 2) Just realize some courses don’t fit my game and just play elsewhere?

We’ll see.

Quite honestly I like to play easier courses that I feel I have a good opportunity for success at.

There is a course 10 minutes from my house that has a reasonable greens fee, but I don't play it because it is very hard with a lot of water. I prefer easier courses. Golf is hard enough as it is. Maybe that does not reflect well on my character, but I don't care. I want my hobbies to be enjoyable.

Dave

It's been awhile since I posted in this thread. Hope you all are doing well.

I played my first real round since I got all of my new clubs in hand. I started off real well, par/par/bogie and then my driver deserted me for a few holes. Put two in the water off the tee on the par five 4th hole. I still managed a 48 on the front. I tripled the par five 10th hole because it took me two shots to chip a ball 3 feet, leaving me with a really long putt for double bogie, which I missed. Another chunked drive on the 11th and another triple bogie. I righted the ship after that and started hitting my driver much better with four consecutive bogies. Then I finished with three doubles for a 52 and even 100 round.

I hit some good shots and a lot of bad ones. Short game was really bad at first, but I started getting used to my new wedges and did better on the back. Lots of room to improve, but honestly it felt more like a 105-110 round, so I can't complain too much.

Quite honestly I like to play easier courses that I feel I have a good opportunity for success at.

There is a course 10 minutes from my house that has a reasonable greens fee, but I don't play it because it is very hard with a lot of water. I prefer easier courses. Golf is hard enough as it is. Maybe that does not reflect well on my character, but I don't care. I want my hobbies to be enjoyable.

Dave

I agree with you. But every now and then I try to go back and see if I have “figured out” how to play a certain course that is difficult. To push myself. It never seems to work out though.

My suggestion to consistently break 100 is in regards to bag setup.

If you don't have confidence in a given club don't put it in your bag! Only pull clubs on the course that you feel have a reasonable confidence in being able to produce an acceptable result. If you don't think you can pull of a shot then you most likely can't.

Practice with the low confidence clubs on the range and if you develop a level of confidence with them then use them, but not before. Or replace them with clubs that work better, preferably fitted or at least hit into a monitor or outside watching flight if you can't get fitted for whatever reason (cost, access, etc...)

Some may say that they don't really have confidence in any of the clubs in their bag, but I bet there are some clubs you feel better about than others.

I lived this earlier in the year with driver. The driver I started the year with (ST190, now gone) results were abysmal. Distance not great, 30% fairways hit, and not scoring well. I used hybrid/fairway off the tee until I I found a driver that works better for me. I'm now seeing much better results now, 11 yards better distance, 55% fairways hit, and my overall score has gotten better than what the driver alone should contribute.

When I walked up to the tee earlier this year thinking "I really hope I don't heel this off the planet" I had already lost.

Dave

Shot my best round ever today! 42/50-92 on an unfamiliar course. Add to that the fact that I got a great rate through Golfnow and it was a win-win-win.

I really appreciate having to grind on my local courses which are less than forgiving, because this course had fairways that are like range mats. I was hitting off nearly perfect lies all day.

The short game and putter were working and I may have missed maybe 3 fairways but ended up in the first cut, which was also like a carpet.

Fun day.

Great job on the PB!!

Just shot my PB 92. Couple more under 95 and I might be graduating to the breaking 90 thread.
And another PB in the thread!! Great Job!!

I hear you, brother.

This may sound simplistic, but when I keep my ball in the fairway it feels like a completely different game. Lately I have been hitting more fairways off the tee and the game seems a lot easier when I just do that.

Weird, isn’t it?

We’ll see.
b7052b21a7582921e70b27c7940c6a0a.jpg

Play where you have the most fun. Period. That said, do you enjoy the challenge of this course? Do you enjoy trying to shoot sub-100 on this course more than a better score somewhere else? It’s all, and only, about the pleasure a round brings you.

The mental game plays some role for me as well - but not that much. There are some who might feel a lack of confidence is part of the problem.... kind of self-fulfilling prophecy thing. But that's really not an issue. I know exactly where my game is. It's as crystal clear to me what needs to happen as it is crystal clear that I cannot make that happen.

So the answer (for me) is to stop beating my head against the wall to try and improve or hoping something will one day "click". Instead, I need to just get out there to enjoy the good shots and the time spent out on the course. Easier said than done, but still do-able.
Don’t keep score for the next five rounds. You’ll be amazed at how much you can enjoy just hitting a golf ball around.

Dave
It reflects nothing on your character. Enjoy the game how you enjoy it. I enjoy playing tough courses, usually because they are more interesting than the “easy” ones. I’ve played literal cow pastures which were “easy”, but not really that interesting. And, no, I didn’t score much better than the tough ones, LOL.

I agree with you. But every now and then I try to go back and see if I have “figured out” how to play a certain course that is difficult. To push myself. It never seems to work out though.

I beg to differ. It may not reflect it on the card, but, it does push you and it does make you better. Maybe in small increments, but it does sharpen your game.

My suggestion to consistently break 100 is in regards to bag setup.

If you don't have confidence in a given club don't put it in your bag! Only pull clubs on the course that you feel have a reasonable confidence in being able to produce an acceptable result. If you don't think you can pull of a shot then you most likely can't.

Practice with the low confidence clubs on the range and if you develop a level of confidence with them then use them, but not before. Or replace them with clubs that work better, preferably fitted or at least hit into a monitor or outside watching flight if you can't get fitted for whatever reason (cost, access, etc...)

Some may say that they don't really have confidence in any of the clubs in their bag, but I bet there are some clubs you feel better about than others.

I lived this earlier in the year with driver. The driver I started the year with (ST190, now gone) results were abysmal. Distance not great, 30% fairways hit, and not scoring well. I used hybrid/fairway off the tee until I I found a driver that works better for me. I'm now seeing much better results now, 11 yards better distance, 55% fairways hit, and my overall score has gotten better than what the driver alone should contribute.

When I walked up to the tee earlier this year thinking "I really hope I don't heel this off the planet" I had already lost.

Dave
These are words to live by.

Went out yesterday, shot a 105, but played better than the score would indicate.
The putter, she has abandoned me.

Sad as that may be, I hit some shots that were way above my pay grade as well. Made a couple of pars, missed a couple of par putts, missed some birdie putts. All good.

Tinkered with a grip change after about the 6th hole, and was crushing the ball. I’d not scored well on the first five holes, so I made it a tinker/practice round. (I do that frequently.)

I usually have a pretty neutral grip, and decided to monkey around with a strong grip. Well, since I don’t half-step things, I went to a soooper strong grip. Like my left thumb was on the grip at 3 o’clock. And proceeded to “Mongo smash!” All my shots. There were some issues with direction and stuff, but I wasn’t worried since it was a totally different grip than what a I was using.

The hole of the day was a par four, with a water hazard at 200 across the fairway. The ball had been running a good bit due to hard fairways, so I grab my FW (a 16.5 degree 3W with a cut down shaft), tee it up, and smooooke it down the fairway. It’s my 170 on a good day club, so I trundle down to find it. Don’t see it. Keep going, don’t see it. Keep going, see it about 4 yards from the drink, just in the rough about 6 inches. Felt shock.

I’m still about 165 out, and in the rough, so I pull my 6 hybrid (it replaces the 6 iron in my setup), give it a good swing, and it flies, and bounces over the green. Even more shock. This is my 140 on a good day club. I make a sweet chip to 2 feet and roll in the par.

I‘ll play again next week with the SuperStrongPowerGrip(tm) and see if it was a fluke or not.

Wow! That was a @Hamfist microburst! ;)🤣🤣
New work been killing your THP time?

Back