Trying to Break 100

Sand wedge is your friend!

I’m currently using a Tour Edge One Out as my sand wedge. It’s nails for getting out of bunkers, but I can’t do a dang thing with it from grass. Horrible results every time. I’m currently looking for a regular sand wedge to replace it.

I’m currently using a Tour Edge One Out as my sand wedge. It’s nails for getting out of bunkers, but I can’t do a dang thing with it from grass. Horrible results every time. I’m currently looking for a regular sand wedge to replace it.
Why not carry both? Get yourself a nice versatile 54-56 degree wedge for the grass and the One Out for the sand.

Depending upon your ability I'd go with a Callaway MD-5 54 S-grind for most situations.

Why not carry both? Get yourself a nice versatile 54-56 degree wedge for the grass and the One Out for the sand.

That’s an option as well. I’ll just have to see how I do hitting a regular wedge out of bunkers.

Depending upon your ability I'd go with a Callaway MD-5 54 S-grind for most situations.

I’ll take a look. Right now I’m leaning toward a CBX in either 54* or 56*.

My sand wedge hates me.
I said it was HIS friend, not yours.

Have a seat. now, tell Dr. Hammy why you think your sand wedge hates you.

That’s an option as well. I’ll just have to see how I do hitting a regular wedge out of bunkers.
If you've got a sand club you are happy hitting, keep it for that purpose. No shame in having a specialty club. the 54 degree will be your "Swiss Army Knife" club

I said it was HIS friend, not yours.

Have a seat. now, tell Dr. Hammy why you think your sand wedge hates you.

My wedge will get my hopes up with some nice shots onto the green. Make me think I've finally got it down. Then....SHANK! Off it goes squibbing to the right into a bunker or flying 20 yards over the green. I think it does it on purpose. That is why I think it hates me. Maybe I shoulda never said I was going to throw it in the water. I think I hurt its feelings.

Hey all, busy couple of weeks for me, 5 rounds shot an 82 (par 66), 82 (par 70), 2 x 87 (both par 71) and a 90 (par 72).

The 90 could very easily have been a lot higher, but I stuck to my new simplified bag and shot selection criteria, and got it back on an even keel much quicker than if I started chasing it.

Finally made a change in the bag, a couple of club replacements, pretty much like for like...I feel like now I have the bag setup I want, I feel less like I'm tinkering, and more like I'm settled and filling specific roles.

2 x Cleveland Halo hybrids, 1 in the 22° slot above my 5i, and another in the 16° slot as my lower punchy fairway finder Driver alternative. The Cobra F7 hybrids have been absolutely sterling, and they have gone to a new home (a mate who's just starting out).

The Halos are getting their first run out on Sunday.(y)

This time last year, I was just returning from #b100live, incidentally.

My wedge will get my hopes up with some nice shots onto the green. Make me think I've finally got it down. Then....SHANK! Off it goes squibbing to the right into a bunker or flying 20 yards over the green. I think it does it on purpose. That is why I think it hates me. Maybe I shoulda never said I was going to throw it in the water. I think I hurt its feelings.
Hurtful words can have lasting effects. What steps have you taken to try to heal this rift?

Hey all, busy couple of weeks for me, 5 rounds shot an 82 (par 66), 82 (par 70), 2 x 87 (both par 71) and a 90 (par 72).

The 90 could very easily have been a lot higher, but I stuck to my new simplified bag and shot selection criteria, and got it back on an even keel much quicker than if I started chasing it.

Finally made a change in the bag, a couple of club replacements, pretty much like for like...I feel like now I have the bag setup I want, I feel less like I'm tinkering, and more like I'm settled and filling specific roles.

2 x Cleveland Halo hybrids, 1 in the 22° slot above my 5i, and another in the 16° slot as my lower punchy fairway finder Driver alternative. The Cobra F7 hybrids have been absolutely sterling, and they have gone to a new home (a mate who's just starting out).

The Halos are getting their first run out on Sunday.(y)

This time last year, I was just returning from #b100live, incidentally.
Care to restate what the simplified bag is? I've been rolling with an 11 club set-up lately, and sl-o-o-o-o-w-l-l-ly been missing the G20s less as the 919s become more ingrained as my players.

Just out of curiosity, do you ever try and open up the S*nd W*dge?

My regular playing partner had a case of the Sandy McSh*nks recently because he was trying to hit it high, so opened it up and tried to cut across it...it did not go well. He was presenting more than enough hozel for things to go the shape of a pear.

He realised most SW's have enough loft to just play square, and go plenty high enough even on little fiddly ones, and the sh*nks went away.(y)

My regular playing partner had a case of the Sandy McSh*nks recently because he was trying to hit it high, so opened it up and tried to cut across it...it did not go well. He was presenting more than enough hozel for things to go the shape of a pear.

He realised most SW's have enough loft to just play square, and go plenty high enough even on little fiddly ones, and the sh*nks went away.(y)
This 100%. I have a tendency to want to open the face up, and when I do, there's a solid chance it's going right with some zip on it. Keep that face aligned to the target, move the ball to the inside of your left foot and let the clubhead get even with/ahead of your hands at impact and it will pop right up.

Care to restate what the simplified bag is? I've been rolling with an 11 club set-up lately, and sl-o-o-o-o-w-l-l-ly been missing the G20s less as the 919s become more ingrained as my players.
Yeah, it goes hand in hand with the acknowledgement of what I can and can't do as my game develops (or doesn't), and playing to some realistic targets. Its not necessarily fewer clubs, but more 'focused' is the best way I can describe it. Getting the TopTracer at my local range was helpful to reality check some parts I wasn't sure about, and actually know my gaps.

At the top of the bag, I've reverted to Thriver currently at 11.5°. Only playing one fairway, a 5w at 18.5°, which is my max advance club off the deck. As Batman once said, 3 woods are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so I'm having none of it. Both of those go pretty high, so as my safety blanket, I have the 16° hybrid as bail out, fairway finder, into wind punchy/stingy alt tee club, under trees punch out, utility hybrid. I don't have the speed for a driving/utility iron, so this is my version of it. Then its a 22° hybrid, followed by a couple of HB Launcher hybrid irons at 5 & 6. 7i - GW are just normal CBX irons, and then a 56° + 60° Glide Eye2.

Basically, each club has its role, and I'm playing to those roles, and accepting whatever comes.

The other thing I've changed is, unless I actually have to go over something, the highest lofted club I'll chip with is my G at 50°, and I'm regularly using P and 9i now, bump and run all the way.

I can't hit a wedge with an open face. If anything its slightly closed. If I want more loft I use the 64. But I have to hit that one harder than I think. I tend to leave it short because its hard for my brain to swing faster than I'm used to.

My problem is my aim point. I pick a spot on the ball to hit and sometimes I miss it badly. Same thing happens with hybrids, 5 and 6 irons. Yet, the 7 iron through pitching wedge rarely mishits. When I practice I can hit a number of decent chips. Then out of nowhere its a total shank to the right that never gets off the ground. Then a few more decent chips followed by another total shank.

Today was a round like I haven’t had in a very long time. We played an unfamiliar course that turned out to be very difficult. I hit several good shots that found trouble that you wouldn’t know about without having played the course before.

Of course, I also hit some terrible shots. A lot of them. The driver didn’t cooperate at all. I was slicing my irons like crazy, and I putted like I usually do (that’s a bad thing).

Fortunately I wasn’t the only one who had issues. My brother in law and I usually flirt with breaking 100. Today he shot a 131 and I had a 135.

I’m just gonna write this one off and move on. It was one of those days where nothing works, and I’m not sure what you do about that.

Played with Smiter on Saturday, shot something. We played Cossett Creek , for you locals, and he wasn't digging all the doglegs on the back nine. Had fun and hit a couple really nice pokes with my shortened three wood. Had a nice Platform Brewery 2xStout on the front and a Yuengling Black and Tan on the back, to maintain my cool buzz.
Playing some super revenge scramble there in a week or 2

Today was one of those days where you feel like you played fairly well but still shot over 100. 103 - manly due to a lot of missed easy putts and about 3 really bad holes. No excuses. I hit the ball fairly well, especially my 19° hybrid. Chipped really well, until 18, of course. A lot of really good drives, and mostly decent fairway shots.

So, I am still trying to break 100 on this course, but I feel like I am close. Next time....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have that exact problem with my 58° (supposed to be 60°) lob wedge. Great out of bunkers, but I can do nothing with it elsewhere. So today I replaced it with a 58° Cleveland CBX. Hopefully that'll work as well for me out of the bunkers, and I'll get it to work for me out of the grass, as well.

Yeah, it goes hand in hand with the acknowledgement of what I can and can't do as my game develops (or doesn't), and playing to some realistic targets. Its not necessarily fewer clubs, but more 'focused' is the best way I can describe it. Getting the TopTracer at my local range was helpful to reality check some parts I wasn't sure about, and actually know my gaps.

At the top of the bag, I've reverted to Thriver currently at 11.5°. Only playing one fairway, a 5w at 18.5°, which is my max advance club off the deck. As Batman once said, 3 woods are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so I'm having none of it. Both of those go pretty high, so as my safety blanket, I have the 16° hybrid as bail out, fairway finder, into wind punchy/stingy alt tee club, under trees punch out, utility hybrid. I don't have the speed for a driving/utility iron, so this is my version of it. Then its a 22° hybrid, followed by a couple of HB Launcher hybrid irons at 5 & 6. 7i - GW are just normal CBX irons, and then a 56° + 60° Glide Eye2.

Basically, each club has its role, and I'm playing to those roles, and accepting whatever comes.

The other thing I've changed is, unless I actually have to go over something, the highest lofted club I'll chip with is my G at 50°, and I'm regularly using P and 9i now, bump and run all the way.
I'm rocking a similar bag. And approaching the bag with a similar mindset. although I am playing risky by using a 54 degree wedge inside 40 yards.

Today was one of those days where you feel like you played fairly well but still shot over 100. 103 - manly due to a lot of missed easy putts and about 3 really bad holes. No excuses. I hit the ball fairly well, especially my 19° hybrid. Chipped really well, until 18, of course. A lot of really good drives, and mostly decent fairway shots.

So, I am still trying to break 100 on this course, but I feel like I am close. Next time....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Soooooon. Soooooon.

I cleaned the grooves. Maybe a new grip will make him happy?
(Taps chin thoughtfully.) That's a good start. As for these grips, how old are they? Also, could the club be reacting to a lack of attention at the range? Sometimes the feelings can manifest that way.

Today was a round like I haven’t had in a very long time. We played an unfamiliar course that turned out to be very difficult. I hit several good shots that found trouble that you wouldn’t know about without having played the course before.

Of course, I also hit some terrible shots. A lot of them. The driver didn’t cooperate at all. I was slicing my irons like crazy, and I putted like I usually do (that’s a bad thing).

Fortunately I wasn’t the only one who had issues. My brother in law and I usually flirt with breaking 100. Today he shot a 131 and I had a 135.

I’m just gonna write this one off and move on. It was one of those days where nothing works, and I’m not sure what you do about that.
Booze. And lots of it.

Back