Trying to Break 100

I had to swap to snow tires today. Since I knew it would be a 2 hour wait, I dropped the clubs off at a nearby course, dropped the car off at the tire shop and then walked to the course to play 9. I got through the course in 1 hour, 15 minutes so I decided to play another 9. The temps stayed below 40 all day but it wasn't bad because I was walking.

Anyway, shot a 43 the first time through and a 53 on the second 9. The course is only 5600 yards and has a very low rating/slope, but I still managed a high score the second time through with some pretty bad golf. Still, it beat the hell out of hanging out in the lobby of a tire shop for two hours. I haven't been playing a lot of golf lately so it was nice to get out there.
Can't argue that move......I hate waiting for oil changes.

Beautiful weather in California's central valley. Low 70's. Supposed to be upper 70's to low 80's for the next week. This month and next month are the best months of the year for golf. Mornings are a little nippy with the mid 40's. But not too bad.

I hope I finally figured out how to hit the hybrids. Had my best round of the year yesterday. Shot a solid 91. Still can't quite get to that elusive 89. But I was very happy with my round. On the advice of a new playing partner, I narrowed my stance on the hybrid. My biggest problem was hitting too far behind the ball. This guy they paired me with told me he had the same problem until he narrowed his stance and stood taller. I was hitting some beauties yesterday when I did that. His skill level was close to mine so I didn't feel pressured to do better. He shot a 93.

My driver is still going good. What's strange is, whenever I hit two bad drives in a row, I correct it by trying to swing harder. I hit a high, short slice on number 5. Then a snap hook on number 6. Resulted in a double and a triple on those holes. On number 7 I said heck with it out of frustration and just swung as hard as I could. Best drive of the day. Dead straight almost 250 yards. Did that the rest of the round and shot a 43 on the back nine hitting most fairways. Most drives were around 230.

Still need to get better on the chips. Hit some nice ones. And not so nice ones. I feel once I can get to the point where I'm confident the chips will all be clean hits I can finally be that bogey golfer I've been trying to be. The biggest issue is mishits on those.

Played 9 holes yesterday. Started to late to think about playing 18. Shot a solid 46. Crazy golf game. I hit 5 of the 7 fairways. I hit 4 greens in regulation. I basically struck the ball better than ever yesterday.

Now the bad. The two fairways missed ended up with penalty strokes. First one I pulled hard left into trees. The ball caromed off a branch and went all the way into a pond on the right side of the fairway. Just crazy. Second miss was another hard pull left into someone's back yard.

And more of the bad. With those 4 greens in regulation I 3 putted twice for bogey. I also 3 putted on a par putt. Three 3 putts in 9 holes. Not good. One one I hit the top of the ball and left it ten foot short. On another I was trying to make sure I didn't hit the top of the ball and left the putter head drop. Hits the green before impact and another over ten foot short. Maybe I should take practice strokes. I never do that with the putter.

Overall I'm excited about the I'm hitting the ball. I just need to clean up those mistakes a little more and I can be that elusive bogey golfer.

I had a lesson today (my first since February or March, and only my second with this instructor). I’m really wishing COVID hadn’t kept me from going more regularly, because I really like this guy.

Today he had his FlightScope out and it was the first time I’ve ever been able to see any of my numbers. It was cool to see how my swing path and face angle changed throughout the lesson.

I started the day with my normal giant slice, and was hitting a fairly consistent draw by the end of it. He gave me three simple drills to do at the range, and showed me what to do if the slice creeps back in.

The most interesting part of the lesson (although far from the most useful) was finding out that I apparently have a very high swing speed. I always figured I was below average...maybe average at best. It turns out I’m actually above TOUR average. The majority of the lesson was with my 7 iron, and my swing speed was 94-96.

I figured that meant I needed to slow things down for better control, but he said it didn’t look like a high effort swing so I shouldn’t worry about it. At the end he had me hit two shots with my driver since that’s what he wants to work on next time. My two swings with it were 118 and 120. It’s far from my priority, but it’s nice to know I at least have the potential to achieve some good distance.

Ham’s Saturday report: I got drunk and fell in a lake. Then I took off all my clothes and stood by the fire until clothing was found for me. Then, I continued drinking, only biting it one other time when my borrowed sandal didnt clear a lip on the driveway-to-patio transition.

In keeping with the goal of this thread, I’m happy to report I didn’t hit any bogeys.

103 today. 50/53. I hit my driver very well and my new 4h turned out to be a real workhorse. Unfortunately I also had 5 3 putts and some unfortunate bunker shots that put me way over the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

103 today. 50/53. I hit my driver very well and my new 4h turned out to be a real workhorse. Unfortunately I also had 5 3 putts and some unfortunate bunker shots that put me way over the top.

I hope to get that same 4h by next season. I really like the KE4 3h, and the 4h should fill the gap between that club and my 6i.

Went out yesterday and played really, really poorly... perhaps a new low. While my scores have been consistently 5 or so strokes higher than the last couple of years, this was a new level of crap golf. I'm ok with bad golf, just not this.

I missed two tap in putts, continually topped the hybrid, had a two-way miss with the driver on every hole, and simply could not dial in my irons even though contact was decent. My home course is not easy, but it's not like the fairways are that tight.

The degree and frequency at which I'm missing this year is discouraging even on my best days. Contact on all clubs (beside the 3h) and distance is adequate enough to shoot low '90s, and the short game seems better than ever. I'm happy with launch angles and there are less slices and hooks, but an inability to tighten left/right dispersion makes bogey golf impossible. I simply cannot control the penalties.

The worst part is knowing every time I head out that despite how well I play some holes, I'll be looking at double bogey golf by the end of the round.

Went out yesterday and played really, really poorly... perhaps a new low. While my scores have been consistently 5 or so strokes higher than the last couple of years, this was a new level of crap golf. I'm ok with bad golf, just not this.

I missed two tap in putts, continually topped the hybrid, had a two-way miss with the driver on every hole, and simply could not dial in my irons even though contact was decent. My home course is not easy, but it's not like the fairways are that tight.

The degree and frequency at which I'm missing this year is discouraging even on my best days. Contact on all clubs (beside the 3h) and distance is adequate enough to shoot low '90s, and the short game seems better than ever. I'm happy with launch angles and there are less slices and hooks, but an inability to tighten left/right dispersion makes bogey golf impossible. I simply cannot control the penalties.

The worst part is knowing every time I head out that despite how well I play some holes, I'll be looking at double bogey golf by the end of the round.

There are two trains of thought. Get out to the range and keep working to make it better. Or step back a few weeks and restart. I've done both. The step back did kind of take the negativity out of my game. When I went back I was slightly better. And felt better about it.

The get out to the range probably helped more though. I'm still not where I want to be. And damn it seems to take a long time to figure things out. But the last few rounds have been much better lately. I would contribute that to the range time.

My son in law was the one who told me I was watching too many instructional videos and reading too many golf magazines. It muddled the brain with all those different ideas on how to hit the ball. So I stopped all that and just went out to figure it for myself.

I probably have a grip, approach and backswing that instructors wouldn't recommend. But I've been better since I just decided to work on what is best for me and my swing. Its been taking time and always a work in progress. I'm still a high handicapper but not that 101-106 golfer I used to be. Been steadily in the mid 90's for a while now. And I feel like I'm getting better.

Or step back a few weeks and restart

Thanks for the encouragement @charley48

In another week or so, I'll be taking a 5 to 6 month-long break from the game... aka winter :)

I got out again today and it was more of the same inability to execute any part of the game. I shot a 111 on a very short course. Normally, there are bright spots, or some parts of the game that are ok while others are off. But between yesterday and today there was nothing, and I don't see a change in that. This wasn't just a bad day or two, it's what my game has become.

After being able to accept my skill level for most of the year, I let it get to me this time. That sucks worse than the bad golf itself. When the highlight of a round is the feeling of burning a few extra calories by walking 18, it's time to call it a season.

As far as working on it, you are absolutely right. There will be no improvement unless work is put in. The trouble is I spent years pushing myself hard and putting all my resources towards improvement. That 7 or 8 years got me all the way "down" to a 22 index. If there's anything worse in being bad at this game, it's being bad even after all that work. Club face control has always been an issue as has been poor putting. While my mechanics are no where near being sound, they are certainly good enough to play 90's golf. There just seems to be some disconnect that allows for missed tap-in putts and a complete fail when attempting to square the club face. The misses are not slight. I know the game is difficult for almost everyone, but it's not this difficult.

For the season: Average index is 28.3 for an unofficial 24.8. Average score has increased from 95 a couple years ago to somewhere around 100 this year. This on courses at or less than 6,000 yards.

In the big picture, bad golf is such a first world problem. But it's one of the few hobbies I have and easily my favorite.

Thanks for the encouragement @charley48

In another week or so, I'll be taking a 5 to 6 month-long break from the game... aka winter :)

I got out again today and it was more of the same inability to execute any part of the game. I shot a 111 on a very short course. Normally, there are bright spots, or some parts of the game that are ok while others are off. But between yesterday and today there was nothing, and I don't see a change in that. This wasn't just a bad day or two, it's what my game has become.

After being able to accept my skill level for most of the year, I let it get to me this time. That sucks worse than the bad golf itself. When the highlight of a round is the feeling of burning a few extra calories by walking 18, it's time to call it a season.

As far as working on it, you are absolutely right. There will be no improvement unless work is put in. The trouble is I spent years pushing myself hard and putting all my resources towards improvement. That 7 or 8 years got me all the way "down" to a 22 index. If there's anything worse in being bad at this game, it's being bad even after all that work. Club face control has always been an issue as has been poor putting. While my mechanics are no where near being sound, they are certainly good enough to play 90's golf. There just seems to be some disconnect that allows for missed tap-in putts and a complete fail when attempting to square the club face. The misses are not slight. I know the game is difficult for almost everyone, but it's not this difficult.

For the season: Average index is 28.3 for an unofficial 24.8. Average score has increased from 95 a couple years ago to somewhere around 100 this year. This on courses at or less than 6,000 yards.

In the big picture, bad golf is such a first world problem. But it's one of the few hobbies I have and easily my favorite.

I know it's frustrating. I feel your pain, brother!
A couple of suggestions:
1) Get a copy of Adam Young's book The Practice Manual. In the book and on his website: https://www.adamyounggolf.com/ he talks about a good way to practice making center-face contact: Intentionally hit on the toe and then on the heel. There is a lot of research out there now that suggests that "overdoing it" and then "under-doing it" helps your body to get it "just right". (I think of it as the Goldilocks approach). Anyway, he has a lot of good stuff that should help make your practice time more effective

2) Are you using video to check your swing? Especially if you can get some slow motion swings for you and a coach to look at, you may notice some trends that are holding you back.

I joined Oakhurst CC a few weeks ago after moving to the area and played my first 18 hole round ever this past weekend!! I carded 119 (66 front, 53 back).

I was so excited and freaking the fudge out most of the time - I forgot everything I had practiced on the range :oops: I calmed down a bit on the back 9 and didn't hit anything longer than the 7 iron. I was rushing like a lunatic early on as well as I was scared that I was holding play up but then I realized I was playing faster than the group in front of me.

I used the Tommy Armour 845S clubs for this round but have acquired Big Bertha irons since to make the mishits more productive. The TAs were too punishing on fat shots and dug into the ground immediately.

Can't wait to head back out and see where I end up next! Also signed up for some lessons so looking forward to that too.

I appreciate the suggestions @Grins and have done most of those things in the last 9 years. I will look into the Practice Manual however.

I know what this sounds like, but someone has to make up the outliers in a population. If some are naturally good enough at golf to be part of the 5% who can get to low single-digit or scratch with a lot of work, it stands to reason others will be naturally bad enough to be unable to ever get below 22 - even with an abundance of effort and instruction. At some point, I had to stop beating my head against a wall and simply accept the facts. That acceptance seems to be the trick.

As long as you can enjoy playing, who really cares what your score is?

Case in point: I just finished 18 - weather was as beautiful as it can be for November in OH (mid 60's & sunny!). I shot 49/49 for a 98 & had a blast playing with my oldest friend. We both sucked it up & occasionally hit a really good shot. But totally enjoyable.

I appreciate the suggestions @Grins and have done most of those things in the last 9 years. I will look into the Practice Manual however.

I know what this sounds like, but someone has to make up the outliers in a population. If some are naturally good enough at golf to be part of the 5% who can get to low single-digit or scratch with a lot of work, it stands to reason others will be naturally bad enough to be unable to ever get below 22 - even with an abundance of effort and instruction. At some point, I had to stop beating my head against a wall and simply accept the facts. That acceptance seems to be the trick.

When I convinced myself I will never be a great golfer, the game became more fun. The problem I have is I am highly competitive. I played fast pitch softball for 35 years. The last 30 years as a pitcher. Traveling all over the west coast for tournaments. It was a very competitive atmosphere. We all think we shoulda been major leaguers.

Then I hang up the glove and cleats for the game of golf. I figured with my competitive desire it won't be long before I'm a good golfer. Well, that doesn't work so well. I'm finding out this game is much harder than other sports. And I know I will never get to where I want to be as a golfer. Ever since I accepted that I enjoy the game much more and don't get as frustrated. If I shoot a 91 that's good enough for me. If I shoot a 103 I'm ok with that too.

When I convinced myself I will never be a great golfer, the game became more fun. The problem I have is I am highly competitive. I played fast pitch softball for 35 years. The last 30 years as a pitcher. Traveling all over the west coast for tournaments. It was a very competitive atmosphere. We all think we shoulda been major leaguers.

Then I hang up the glove and cleats for the game of golf. I figured with my competitive desire it won't be long before I'm a good golfer. Well, that doesn't work so well. I'm finding out this game is much harder than other sports. And I know I will never get to where I want to be as a golfer. Ever since I accepted that I enjoy the game much more and don't get as frustrated. If I shoot a 91 that's good enough for me. If I shoot a 103 I'm ok with that too.

You'll hear this a lot from those of us who struggle. I have never been anything beyond average at most sports. In baseball I could hit an 80 mph fastball and 70mph curveball - high school level pitching. I had a decent tennis game and in football could sometimes make good players look silly. Basketball, wrestling, boxing... Again, just average coordination and ability.

The biggest difference is that in all those other sports, every time someone gave me a suggestion on mechanics or technique, I could apply it and it was usually beneficial.

I simply have been unable do that with golf. I've taken instruction and felt like I worked hard at trying to apply the changes whether through drills or feels. There's just a lack of body awareness.

So I've tried to simplify the swing, and it's not like that swing won't produce good results. There just seems to be a high enough occurrence or degree of failure to make average golf impossible. And when I start missing tap-in putts, well, something is f'ed up. What are the chances I'm going to pull off full swings if something as simple as a putting stroke becomes a challenge?

So here's the thing. I will go through periods when the game is "on". It might be for 9 holes, or a full round, or a few weeks, half a season... whatever. I have no idea what I'm doing differently. I've learned to just enjoy it while it lasts knowing full well it's not some sort of turning of the corner.

Right now, I'm going through a period where everything is "off". Can't tell you why. Obviously there's something going on, even if it's a slight difference.

As long as you can enjoy playing, who really cares what your score is?

^^^^^ This. NO ONE CARES WHAT I SHOOT! Other than sharing in their joy or having a little sympathy, I don't care what others shoot. A very good player I knew posted something like "my golf game does not define me as a person". I thought that was insightful.

If 2020 has been a successful season, it's only because I've made tremendous progress towards accepting my level of golf. The last two rounds were rough however. Thankfully, I was by myself on an empty course. I don't like myself when I can't control my temper over a stupid game. While there were no broken clubs, I came very close. That simply is unacceptable.

I went to the range today and worked on the stuff from my lesson last weekend. I’m making progress, but still with very mixed results. When I swing my way it’s usually good contact with a slice. When I try to do what the instructor has given me I keep the ball much closer to the target line, but my contact is much more inconsistent.

The one strange thing is that even though my instruction has been with my irons, the place it is really showing up is with my driver. I hit probably 12-15 shots with it today, and not a single one went right of the target line. There were a couple of big hooks in there (something I NEVER see) and the rest would have been in the fairway on all but the narrowest holes. I’lol be playing 18 on Monday. I expect a pretty bad round due to my inconsistent contact, but my goal is to just try to swing the way my instructor has me doing.

You'll hear this a lot from those of us who struggle. I have never been anything beyond average at most sports. In baseball I could hit an 80 mph fastball and 70mph curveball - high school level pitching. I had a decent tennis game and in football could sometimes make good players look silly. Basketball, wrestling, boxing... Again, just average coordination and ability.

The biggest difference is that in all those other sports, every time someone gave me a suggestion on mechanics or technique, I could apply it and it was usually beneficial.

I simply have been unable do that with golf. I've taken instruction and felt like I worked hard at trying to apply the changes whether through drills or feels. There's just a lack of body awareness.

So I've tried to simplify the swing, and it's not like that swing won't produce good results. There just seems to be a high enough occurrence or degree of failure to make average golf impossible. And when I start missing tap-in putts, well, something is f'ed up. What are the chances I'm going to pull off full swings if something as simple as a putting stroke becomes a challenge?

So here's the thing. I will go through periods when the game is "on". It might be for 9 holes, or a full round, or a few weeks, half a season... whatever. I have no idea what I'm doing differently. I've learned to just enjoy it while it lasts knowing full well it's not some sort of turning of the corner.

Right now, I'm going through a period where everything is "off". Can't tell you why. Obviously there's something going on, even if it's a slight difference.

^^^^^ This. NO ONE CARES WHAT I SHOOT! Other than sharing in their joy or having a little sympathy, I don't care what others shoot. A very good player I knew posted something like "my golf game does not define me as a person". I thought that was insightful.

If 2020 has been a successful season, it's only because I've made tremendous progress towards accepting my level of golf. The last two rounds were rough however. Thankfully, I was by myself on an empty course. I don't like myself when I can't control my temper over a stupid game. While there were no broken clubs, I came very close. That simply is unacceptable.

Well, it is 2020. Theme for the year: "Embrace the Suck!'"

So yesterday I get a call from my grandson. He's got an afternoon tee time. We go out and play 16 holes before it got dark. That last round I was really happy with the way I hit the ball. Play +10 through 9 holes. Yesterday I didn't hit the ball nearly was well. I was plus 19 through the 16 holes. Didn't hit nearly as well but the score was very similar. Probably woulda been something like plus 21 or 22 through 18 assuming a bogey/bogey or bogey/double.

Its a funny game. I hit better than I have in a long time a few days ago. Not so good yesterday. But the scores are still the same. This time I putted very well. I spent some time on the practice green lagging putts. It really helped. Only one 3 putt. And that was with a 60 foot lag that was 8 foot short.

Overall I'm happy with where my game is. This time my biggest problem was the longer fairway shots. Went back to hitting too far behind the ball on the hybrids. It got to the point where I stopped using them on the back 9. I was plus 13 on the front 9. Only plus 6 through the final 7 holes. I laid up on the 165 par 3 with the 7 iron instead of trying to reach it with the hybrid that I have so much trouble with. Chipped on and one putted for par. Good decision.

We're finally getting November weather here. Temps dropped to the low 60's after being low 80's the first few days. I think I will start playing in the afternoons now. It was breezy but very comfortable out there yesterday.

My first round of “SoCal cold” golf was not great. Windy and in the low 60’s, I struggled most of the day. Way too many missed par putts. Lots of drives knocked down in the wind.

It still beat NOT playing though. I’ll try again on Veterans Day.

Been awhile since I’ve posted here. My game has been horrible this year but somehow I’ve got my hc down to a 20.1 from a 24. Played yesterday at a fairly tough course. 135 slope from the 6400 marker we played. My last several rounds have been bad. Bad enough that I quit keeping score a few holes in. Yesterday wasn’t one of those rounds. Shot a 92 with 39 putts. I usually hover around 30-32 putts, no clue what happened yesterday. My short game as a whole was atrocious but everything else was pretty solid. I finally found a driver I’m really confident in and made some changes on the top end of the bag that seem to have paid off. I was on the verge of hanging it up for the year but now I wanna get right back out, lol

I played this morning and walked away with a 101. Even though my lessons have been all focused on irons, I’m seeing the most benefit with my driver. I didn’t have a single penalty from the tee box today. I sliced two drives, but even those were in play. Between driver and my Crossover, I probably hit five shots that would have been the best shot of any other round I’ve played (including a 285 yard drive).

What has become very apparent is that I’m never going to score better until I improve my short game DRAMATICALLY. The most glaring example of this was on 18. It’s a 500 yard par 5. I hit my drive about 250 to the middle of the fairway. My second shot was with my Crossover, and I was again in the middle about 30-40 yards out. I ended up with a double bogey. That was the recipe much of the day. I just have no clue what I’m doing with a wedge or putter in my hands.

What has become very apparent is that I’m never going to score better until I improve my short game DRAMATICALLY. The most glaring example of this was on 18. It’s a 500 yard par 5. I hit my drive about 250 to the middle of the fairway. My second shot was with my Crossover, and I was again in the middle about 30-40 yards out. I ended up with a double bogey. That was the recipe much of the day. I just have no clue what I’m doing with a wedge or putter in my hands.
Take a lesson on short game specifically. I did one 2 years ago and it transformed my game.

Take a lesson on short game specifically. I did one 2 years ago and it transformed my game.

I have another lesson coming up on Thursday and that’s the plan.

Back