Trying to Break 100

Last week was such an improvement. 2 putts aver 10 feet just dove into the hole like there was a magnet in there pulling them in. Ended up in the bunker twice and got out with decent shots. Working with a new hybrid that I love - Big Bertha Reva. this is really a great club.
Rained most of the week so couldn't play on Sat with wonky ankle. Can't wait for the weather to dry out.

No breaking 100 today. I have yet to do it on the course I played today, and after about 3 holes I knew it wouldn’t happen today. Started bad and stayed that way.

There are only 2 tee boxes - blue and green. My ego wouldn’t let me hit off green even though that is the right tee box for me. So I paid the price.

Why is it that now I have finally learned how to hit hybrids and my fairway wood I have forgotten how to hit irons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The game of golf. Once you finally fix the one thing that has been hindering the most you something else breaks down. I'm finally hitting my mid irons well. More distance. More consistency. But the hybrids are another story. I'm afraid to spend too much time with them at the range in fear of losing the mid iron touch. I'm actually thinking of putting my tree club back in the bag. Its a 12 degree driver with a 43.5 in shaft. If I hit it off the deck it won't go any higher than two or three feet. But it rolls a long way. I've knocked it out of trees when I had to keep it low and watched it roll 180 yards. And that was with a controlled swing. I might get 200 on a fairway with a full swing. All I would have to do is aim left because it has a bit of a slice to it. Not real bad, but definitely a left to right bend. I'd probably be more consistent with it than my hybrids.

I went out and shot a very disappointing 106. What was disappointing wasn’t so much the score, but how I got there. I had a terrible ball striking day. Usually my iron play is the only serviceable part of my game, but today it was horrendous. I hooked a couple, which never happens. For the most part I was somehow hitting most of my iron shots very high and short. I hit moon balls on three par threes that all went in the water.

Oddly, my short game (which is usually my biggest weakness) is what kept me from shooting in the one-teens. I had a short game lesson last week and at least some of it seemed to carry over to the course. I also made a few putts I usually don’t make (of course, I missed a three footer for my only realistic shot at a par).

The driver was hit and miss. I hit a couple of really good drives and a couple of really bad ones. Most were serviceable, but not ideal.

It was one of those rounds that felt a lot worse than it turned out to be. Usually if I have as many penalties as I did today (I had six) then I’m shooting around 120. I just couldn’t put two good shots together all day.

I went out and shot a very disappointing 106. What was disappointing wasn’t so much the score, but how I got there. I had a terrible ball striking day. Usually my iron play is the only serviceable part of my game, but today it was horrendous. I hooked a couple, which never happens. For the most part I was somehow hitting most of my iron shots very high and short. I hit moon balls on three par threes that all went in the water.

Oddly, my short game (which is usually my biggest weakness) is what kept me from shooting in the one-teens. I had a short game lesson last week and at least some of it seemed to carry over to the course. I also made a few putts I usually don’t make (of course, I missed a three footer for my only realistic shot at a par).

The driver was hit and miss. I hit a couple of really good drives and a couple of really bad ones. Most were serviceable, but not ideal.

It was one of those rounds that felt a lot worse than it turned out to be. Usually if I have as many penalties as I did today (I had six) then I’m shooting around 120. I just couldn’t put two good shots together all day.

I've had rounds where I felt like the worst day ever on the course. Then I tally up the score and its not much worse than usual. Maybe 2 or 3 strokes higher than my average. It does get disappointing because I start every round feeling like "This is my day". Lately its been better. My scores have been creeping down to the low 90's. I just have to keep working to not let it creep back up.

Last year I had a couple months that were between the 91 and 95 scores. I thought I was on my way to bogey golf. Then, all of sudden it creeped back to the upper 90's/low 100's. And it wasn't one thing I could pinpoint. One round I couldn't hit a chip to save my life. Next round I'm nailing chips but its my 4th or 5th shot on par 3 or par 4. I'm spending more time at the range now so it doesn't creep back up. Fingers crossed.

Went out last Friday & shot a PB 89.

I was talking to another THPer about this, and I think I can summarize as follows:

1) My putting was already pretty good (rarely 3 putt: most putts are within 1-2 feet of the cup), and now my chipping/pitching has improved a lot, so this means...
2) Just keep the ball going straight. Like the Golf Sidekick guy says, if I can hit it 150ish & straight, I will usually be putting for par or better & I'll be playing "like a baus!"

I had a couple of good drives (230+ yards in 50 degree weather), but most of them were duck-hooks left. Some iron shots were good, but most were average. The only thing I can say is I didn't give up much in the way of penalty shots (bad shots that resulted in actual penalty strokes, or that cost me strokes because I had to hit back into the fairway, etc.)

I used Google Earth to measure out the holes I played, and I found it helpful to see that even the toughest hole on the course (a 400 yard par 4) only requires two 150 yard shots, & a 100 yard wedge. I can almost always hit a 5 iron straightish and at least 150. So playing even halfway decent gets me into position to hit the green with a chance for a par.

I know this is something most of us have heard before, but it was eye-opening to see it play out for me in real time.

Went out last Friday & shot a PB 89.

I was talking to another THPer about this, and I think I can summarize as follows:

1) My putting was already pretty good (rarely 3 putt: most putts are within 1-2 feet of the cup), and now my chipping/pitching has improved a lot, so this means...
2) Just keep the ball going straight. Like the Golf Sidekick guy says, if I can hit it 150ish & straight, I will usually be putting for par or better & I'll be playing "like a baus!"

I had a couple of good drives (230+ yards in 50 degree weather), but most of them were duck-hooks left. Some iron shots were good, but most were average. The only thing I can say is I didn't give up much in the way of penalty shots (bad shots that resulted in actual penalty strokes, or that cost me strokes because I had to hit back into the fairway, etc.)

I used Google Earth to measure out the holes I played, and I found it helpful to see that even the toughest hole on the course (a 400 yard par 4) only requires two 150 yard shots, & a 100 yard wedge. I can almost always hit a 5 iron straightish and at least 150. So playing even halfway decent gets me into position to hit the green with a chance for a par.

I know this is something most of us have heard before, but it was eye-opening to see it play out for me in real time.

Do you have it on your phone? I tried to install Google Earth on my PC but it wouldn't install. I don't know if something is blocking it. I use the markers on the fairways to tell me the distance. My home course had markers in the middle of the fairways for 100, 150, 200 and 250. The 150's also have a white pole in the fairway.

Because I was struggling so much with any club from 6 and longer I considered using nothing longer than the 7 iron from all fairways. I thought maybe it would reduce the breakdown holes. But I made a change on the hybrids and I'm hitting them better than ever. So I don't need to do that so far. I'm crossing my fingers it stays that way. I know how this game is. You think you're on your way and all of a sudden you can't hit shots you had no problem with before.

Do you have it on your phone? I tried to install Google Earth on my PC but it wouldn't install. I don't know if something is blocking it. I use the markers on the fairways to tell me the distance. My home course had markers in the middle of the fairways for 100, 150, 200 and 250. The 150's also have a white pole in the fairway.

Because I was struggling so much with any club from 6 and longer I considered using nothing longer than the 7 iron from all fairways. I thought maybe it would reduce the breakdown holes. But I made a change on the hybrids and I'm hitting them better than ever. So I don't need to do that so far. I'm crossing my fingers it stays that way. I know how this game is. You think you're on your way and all of a sudden you can't hit shots you had no problem with before.

I did it on my laptop. Just googled "Google Earth" & launched it from there.

And you are dead right there. At least for someone like me - I don't have the talent or hand-eye coordination or whatever to keep things controlled from weak to week, or even day to day. Frustrating & challenging. But I still love it.

I just watched this Eric Cogorno video & I know one thing I'm struggling with right now is aim - I seem to be hitting everything farther left than ever before. I wonder if trying this aiming protocol would help?

It is definitely true that virtually every pro is on the range with alignment sticks when they practice, and I almost never see anyone on my range working on alignment or using sticks (or even golf clubs laid along the aim lines). From what I see, learning how to aim better might help a lot of golfers.

I just watched this Eric Cogorno video & I know one thing I'm struggling with right now is aim - I seem to be hitting everything farther left than ever before. I wonder if trying this aiming protocol would help?

It is definitely true that virtually every pro is on the range with alignment sticks when they practice, and I almost never see anyone on my range working on alignment or using sticks (or even golf clubs laid along the aim lines). From what I see, learning how to aim better might help a lot of golfers.

I use my alignment sticks every time I go to the range.

I use my alignment sticks every time I go to the range.

How many other people do you see using alignment sticks? Just curious. My local range is mainly full of beginners & high handicappers. I don't see a good player there very often, so maybe it's different in other places.

I see them quite often at the range I go to. One day a guy set up a stick at a 45 degree angle to the right of his club. He obviously didn't set it up right or his swing was really over the top. He swings, hits the stick and it goes flying about 10 feet up in the air and comes down on his head. He was okay but I haven't seen him back on the range since then.

How many other people do you see using alignment sticks? Just curious. My local range is mainly full of beginners & high handicappers. I don't see a good player there very often, so maybe it's different in other places.

I don’t usually see anyone else using them.

4db65d58a471d257b963fd668b1273fa.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do have an alignment problem sometimes. When its a hard pull left someone behind me will say "You hit it exactly where you were lined up. I didn't say anything because I thought you were trying to hit a fade." I never try to hit fades or draws. I just want it straight.

I shot a 35 today on my local executive course, or as I like to call it, 4 under bogie. My new swing is starting to pay dividends. Start with bent knees, don't rotate hips, but instead straighten the right rear leg (gives illusion of turning hips), and bam, I am whacking the ball pretty consistently and far. Once I get this dialed in, my game will be way more fun.

I played a rather ragged round on an executive course, yet it was my best score on that course. It seems that as I get better with my hybrids and woods I get worse with my short game. My pitching was a disaster today.

What a great golf week. Monday played the new 18 hole par 3. Had a blast, great place to work on you short game. Wednesday nine holes at Whispering Pines - had some really good shots hidden in there somewhere. Today played 9 at Caledonia. Did better than I expected with some great putting. Tomorrow back to the par 3 with some friends for more fun and games.

What a great golf week. Monday played the new 18 hole par 3. Had a blast, great place to work on you short game. Wednesday nine holes at Whispering Pines - had some really good shots hidden in there somewhere. Today played 9 at Caledonia. Did better than I expected with some great putting. Tomorrow back to the par 3 with some friends for more fun and games.
I'm jealous! I'll be going out Sunday in 45-50 degree weather (that's about as good as it's gonna get for me over the next few months). Time to practice inside

Hey, all! Been absent for a while. Lost the golf bug and was surfing other sites. Played a very casual nine today, shot a 48 with liberal cheating. Hit a couple really nice drives, some nice chips, and one good iron.

Hey, all! Been absent for a while. Lost the golf bug and was surfing other sites. Played a very casual nine today, shot a 48 with liberal cheating. Hit a couple really nice drives, some nice chips, and one good iron.
Great to see you back though Hammy

Must admit, I too have lost the bug a little lately with the lockdown we have had here in the UK but hoping to change that next weekend when we can get back out again

Glad to have you back. You’re the heartbeat of this thread.

I shot a 98 on my par 67 home course today. While I did really well on the front 9 I staggered to the finish line. Somehow I forgot how to hit tee shots on the back 9. If not for about 3 really bad tee shots I would have put together a pretty good round.

On the plus side, I always seem to struggle on the first 3 holes of this course, but today I got through them pretty well.

My last 2 rounds have been pretty bad. After a 92 at a fairly tough track I went 107/102. The 107 was at a course that has zero level lies even in the fw’s. I suck at those shots so I chalked it up to that. The round yesterday was cold and wet. Swampy conditions kill me because I’m steep and I shot myself in the foot by being 10 over after 3. I guess considering the start a 102 isn’t horrible but I completely forgot how to hit an iron on the back. On a positive note I’m happy with my bag setup for the first time ever and have confidence in every club. Even when I’m not hitting them well I know it’s me and I’m not second guessing if the club is a good fit

So, playing with a friend today, just walking nine, and I’ve hit a couple really nice drives. OK. So, we’re on the tee at, I dunno #6, and we decide to let the cart-riding twosome behind us through. Now, previous to them coming up to the tee box, Tim had hit a decent shot down the left side, and I had worm burnt two to just shy of the old guys tees.

As I wave them through, the common phrase of “Now we won’t be able to hit a drive.” popped up. As the proceed to the old guys tees, I yell out “Those two Wilson Staffs are mine.” Oh, the shame. The shame.

My last 2 rounds have been pretty bad. After a 92 at a fairly tough track I went 107/102. The 107 was at a course that has zero level lies even in the fw’s. I suck at those shots so I chalked it up to that. The round yesterday was cold and wet. Swampy conditions kill me because I’m steep and I shot myself in the foot by being 10 over after 3. I guess considering the start a 102 isn’t horrible but I completely forgot how to hit an iron on the back. On a positive note I’m happy with my bag setup for the first time ever and have confidence in every club. Even when I’m not hitting them well I know it’s me and I’m not second guessing if the club is a good fit
I’m still second-through-four thousandth guessing my new clubs. I need to pony up the dough, go to a pro fitter and have them tell me “it’s all in your mind, they’re fine for you.” Then, I can maybe trust them.

I’m still second-through-four thousandth guessing my new clubs. I need to pony up the dough, go to a pro fitter and have them tell me “it’s all in your mind, they’re fine for you.” Then, I can maybe trust them.

I’ve been through 3 fittings in the past year and every club that worked on the monitor didn’t work on the course so take from that what you will. I basically went polar opposite when I bought what I have now and so far it’s been working

Back