Trying to Break 100

On Thursday, I had a fantastic round on my cheesy Exec course 9 and shot a 34. Then on Friday I played a new to me course and shot a 107. Fickle game that golf.

With it being winter here in Cleveland, and my usual haunt, The Golf Dome, having collapsed, I have not touched a club in months. I have nothing to report on the golf front. My big goal for the year is no round over 99, no matter the course.

Well, the golf angels were not happy with me today. My hopes of maintaining some kind of momentum from my 93 a few weeks ago were dashed. Played 9 holes and got a 55. My whole game seemed off. I bladed a couple of chips across the green, something I almost never do. Three tee shots when so far left so as to leave my ball in leaves or pine needles on the edge of the woods and I needed to punch out each time, though at least I didn't lose any balls or have any penalty strokes. Golf is such a fickle companion!

There was a time not too long ago when the skulled chips across the greens were my worst enemy. It ruined so many holes it started to get in my head. I would say out loud "I have no clue how to fix this". Whenever I skulled a chip I lost confidence and the rest of the round suffered. So I spent a lot of time at the chipping green.

But the biggest thing was my mental approach. I've been much better at not skulling it. The last time I did I said "There was a time that shot would mess my head up. Not anymore. The next one is going to be good." And it was a good chip. Lack of confidence can be our biggest enemy.

There was a time not too long ago when the skulled chips across the greens were my worst enemy. It ruined so many holes it started to get in my head. I would say out loud "I have no clue how to fix this". Whenever I skulled a chip I lost confidence and the rest of the round suffered. So I spent a lot of time at the chipping green.

But the biggest thing was my mental approach. I've been much better at not skulling it. The last time I did I said "There was a time that shot would mess my head up. Not anymore. The next one is going to be good." And it was a good chip. Lack of confidence can be our biggest enemy.
You are right Charley, frame of mind means a lot. That was probably part of my problem. I think I probably put some pressure on myself pre-game because I played so well the last time. Then when my first hole was basically a "blowup" hole it set the stage for a bad attitude from there.

With it being winter here in Cleveland, and my usual haunt, The Golf Dome, having collapsed, I have not touched a club in months. I have nothing to report on the golf front. My big goal for the year is no round over 99, no matter the course.
I didn’t know the Golf Dome collapsed. Any plans to repair it?

You are right Charley, frame of mind means a lot. That was probably part of my problem. I think I probably put some pressure on myself pre-game because I played so well the last time. Then when my first hole was basically a "blowup" hole it set the stage for a bad attitude from there.

I’m guilty of letting a bad hole derail me from time to time. I did it on Saturday. I had bogeys on five of the first six holes (a good little run for me), then I mad a total mess of 7. I carded a quad on a par three. I even made a comment to one of my playing partners saying, “Now I’m pissed so I won’t be able to do anything the rest of the day”. I was absolutely right. I’ve gotten better about this lately, but it still bites me from time to time.

I’m guilty of letting a bad hole derail me from time to time. I did it on Saturday. I had bogeys on five of the first six holes (a good little run for me), then I mad a total mess of 7. I carded a quad on a par three. I even made a comment to one of my playing partners saying, “Now I’m pissed so I won’t be able to do anything the rest of the day”. I was absolutely right. I’ve gotten better about this lately, but it still bites me from time to time.
Read the last line in my signature.
When you learn to do it, you will play better, score better and have a lot more fun.

Listen to the wily old Snickers, he talks sense (y)

When you learn to do it, you will play better, score better and have a lot more fun.
Read the last line of my signature - when you learn to do it, you will get to your destination quicker :ROFLMAO:

Listen to the wily old Snickers, he talks sense (y)

Read the last line of my signature - when you learn to do it, you will get to your destination quicker :ROFLMAO:
Thanks Doc!!!! I think we all get lost on bad holes sometimes, especially if we are having a good round. It can definitely be hard to let it go at times.

I spend so much time at the range, I got to a frustrated point where I said "I should be better than this by now. I can't understand why I'm not." Then I finally decided what the heck, I'm not Palmer or Nicklaus. Bad shots are gonna happen. The frustration takes away from the enjoyment. So what if you suck at this game? Just have fun. So now if I hit a terrible shank I say "Oh well, lets see what I can do on the next one". I've been able to convince myself to be more confident and that has improved my game. Confidence is half the battle. If you think you're gonna hit a good shot you have a better chance than if you think you won't.

I played a new course last Saturday and found myself getting into a funk. I wasn't familiar with the course layout and was having a hard time gauging where I was and what I was doing. I was finding the fairways most of the round, and making good driver shots, but felt "disoriented" for most of the round. It tended to get into my head and what should have been a great day was dampened by the demons floating in my head. Usually pretty good in leaving the last hole behind me but it was a challenge this time.

I played a new course last Saturday and found myself getting into a funk. I wasn't familiar with the course layout and was having a hard time gauging where I was and what I was doing. I was finding the fairways most of the round, and making good driver shots, but felt "disoriented" for most of the round. It tended to get into my head and what should have been a great day was dampened by the demons floating in my head. Usually pretty good in leaving the last hole behind me but it was a challenge this time.
Whenever I play a new course, I will hope that someone in the group has played there before and can give lines and locations of any hidden hazards etc - other times I will use the SwingU app to get a rough feel for the course before heading there

If nobody has played the course, then I try to play to what I can see - with my GPS watch I can often gauge rough distances to hazards and will take a club that takes them out of play where possible

The first time playing a course can be tricky, especially if there are a lot of blind shots, so try to use it as a learning experience and maybe look to go back there again when you know the layout a bit better

In terms of the demons, try to let them go and just take it one shot at a time

Whenever I play a new course, I will hope that someone in the group has played there before and can give lines and locations of any hidden hazards etc - other times I will use the SwingU app to get a rough feel for the course before heading there

If nobody has played the course, then I try to play to what I can see - with my GPS watch I can often gauge rough distances to hazards and will take a club that takes them out of play where possible

The first time playing a course can be tricky, especially if there are a lot of blind shots, so try to use it as a learning experience and maybe look to go back there again when you know the layout a bit better

In terms of the demons, try to let them go and just take it one shot at a time
SwingU is a good way to get a feel for a new course in advance. You can even get yardages to various points by dapping a place on the screen. at least in the mobile app.

Well, not a good round yesterday. Played 9 holes. Shot 51. But you know what? I'm ok with it. I hit some really good shots. Just made a few too many mistakes. I couldn't find my driver rhythm till the last 3 driving holes. Had three penalty strokes. Two because I couldn't find my ball in the rough. Didn't want to slow up the group behind us so I took quicker than normal drops. One got ate by a tree.

What is encouraging is this new found power I have in my swing. Its crazy. Normally my 7 iron is my 150 yard club. I was a couple yards inside the 150 marker and the flag was in the back of the green. So I figured I was a little over 150 to the flag. I hit it flush and it carried 10 yards past the green. I'm guessing it went about 165. Another hole I was about 155 out. Had to carry water in front of the green so I figured the 6 iron would be safer in case I don't make solid contact. Well, I did make solid contact. I was lucky to hit a tree about 15 yards behind the green. Otherwise I woulda been in the next tee box. We guessed that one woulda carried about 180.

On the last hole when I found my driver rhythm I decided to focus more on a smooth swing. I didn't catch it full sweet spot but pretty good nonetheless. A 431 yard par 4 and I was about 3 yards short of the 150 marker. We're guessing it was somewhere around 270-275. I did hit the green with the 7 iron and made par. The only par of the day for me.

So while I didn't score well I was happy with the way I found my driver swing later and the way I'm hitting irons. Not too long ago my 6 iron was one of the most difficult clubs to hit. Oh, and the longer 193 yard par 3 I used to never reach with my longest hybrid. I missed the green but I was pin high to the left for an easy chip and two putt bogey. Even my hybrids are hitting longer. Bogey is a good score for me on that hole.

I played 9 today and would have had a great round if my putter hadn’t abandoned me on 7, 8 and 9. Those are usually the holes where I gain ground, but not today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this is great advice. One thing I've noticed is that some of my best rounds are when I'm rushed. By that I mean, rushed by some external factor like I have an appointment I need to keep after the round, or maybe trying to get to the last hole as it's getting dark (that was the case with my 93 in January). I've reflected on this a lot, and come to the conclusion that part of it is that I don't have time to dwell on bad shots because I'm forced to move my mind towards planning the next one and getting on with it. I need to try to internalize that "get on with it - move on" attitude more consistently. Especially since there are disadvantages as well to being rushed, for example, when putting.

I used to be that guy. If I butchered the first hole I used to say "Well, there goes this round". I've learned to taper that back. Since the time change in November I've only been playing 9 holes at a time because we don't start till the afternoon. My scores have been all over the map. I would shoot a few rounds in a row between 45-47. Then shoot a 51. A few more rounds in the mid 40's and another 50 plus. I don't let those 50 plus rounds bother me anymore. I just tell myself it still wasn't a bad day because I made plenty of good shots too. Sometimes things happen that ruin a score. Doesn't mean I feel like I'm still a bad golfer.

I used to be that guy. If I butchered the first hole I used to say "Well, there goes this round". I've learned to taper that back. Since the time change in November I've only been playing 9 holes at a time because we don't start till the afternoon. My scores have been all over the map. I would shoot a few rounds in a row between 45-47. Then shoot a 51. A few more rounds in the mid 40's and another 50 plus. I don't let those 50 plus rounds bother me anymore. I just tell myself it still wasn't a bad day because I made plenty of good shots too. Sometimes things happen that ruin a score. Doesn't mean I feel like I'm still a bad golfer.
That is an awesome attitude to have about it. Enjoy and remember what you did good goes a long way to improving.

Golf is a funny game. After shooting a 51 on the front nine last week I shoot a 44 for the second time in a month on that same front nine. We finally played 18 holes. I thought for sure I would break 90 as I have almost always shot better on the back nine. This time it was a 49 on the back for a 93. Go figure.

I'm not disappointed though. 93 is a good score for me. I means I'm not creeping back to the 100's. One thing I have to figure out is why I lose my hybrid swing later in the round. Its the same as the range. At the range I would start good with it. Hit some nice, crisp shots. When I get down to the last 30 or 40 of the hundred balls I'm hitting I all of a sudden start hitting the hybrids poorly. Most times I'm hitting to far behind the ball. And when I really focus on not hitting too fat its a thin slice.

I'm still hitting the irons pretty good. I waited too long to stick to them when my hybrid swing failed me. On the first par 5 in the back nine I hit a good drive. I then push chunked the hybrid to the right into the trees. Tried to hit it again without chunking and thin sliced it back into the trees again. Needless to say, I was lucky to one putt for a triple bogey. The par 3 on the next hole was playing further back at 170. I used another hybrid and sliced it into the water. Another triple. Next hole was a long par 4 and another chunk. A double bogey. 8 strokes in 3 holes. On the next par 5 I used an iron from the fairway. Got there in 3 and parred.

I'm gonna have to really pay attention to when I start losing my hybrid swing. It happens at the range and the course. I've been hitting it pretty good on the front nine. Maybe I should just stick with irons on the back nine. There's only one hole I can't reach in two. If I get there in 3 and bogey that is fine.

I am slowly re-awakening to the golf world. Staring out my window at the frozen hell-scape doesn't help, but, I am looking forward to spring.

Back