Trying to Break 100

Greetings from UK.

Golf courses been shut here since January 4th, wacky Prime Minister Boris is due to announce tomorrow the plan to unravel the current lockdown restrictions - fingers crossed for golf to open early March!

Over the Xmas period my last few rounds went 100, 100, 101, 104. Close but still no cigar. Lets hope two months off won’t set me back too far and I can pick up where I left off! For reference I was shooting 115-120 back in June after years away from the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greetings from UK.

Golf courses been shut here since January 4th, wacky Prime Minister Boris is due to announce tomorrow the plan to unravel the current lockdown restrictions - fingers crossed for golf to open early March!

Over the Xmas period my last few rounds went 100, 100, 101, 104. Close but still no cigar. Lets hope two months off won’t set me back too far and I can pick up where I left off! For reference I was shooting 115-120 back in June after years away from the game.

Yes, fingers crossed for you. Actually, four rounds in a row at or just above 100 would be pretty good for me. Sure I can manage a round in the 90s, but only on isolated occasions. I also manage a 115 regularly. :)

I hit some really good shots today but still had a crappy round. This is an executive course with only 4 par 4s and the rest are par 3s. I parred 2 of the par 4s which is a victory for me, but gave it back with 7s on the other 2, including the 18th.

Last edited:
I hit some really good shots today but still had a crappy round. This is an executive course with only 4 par 4s and the rest are par 3s. I parred 2 of the par 3s which is a victory for me, but gave it back with 7s on the other 2, including the 18th.

It's a tough pill to swallow knowing that no matter how well I play a few holes, I don't yet have the game to eliminate the triples/quads and reduce the doubles.

It's a tough pill to swallow knowing that no matter how well I play a few holes, I don't yet have the game to eliminate the triples/quads and reduce the doubles.

Same here. What really pains me today is that I hit driver on 3 holes to dead center of the fairway, then 2 of the 3 second shots that should have been easy pitch shots I hit into the water!

Hey you bunch of hackers. :) Been a while.

How's everyone doing? We all breaking 100 on the regular?

I'm not.

Anyway...hit some balls today for the first time in a while! It was nice to get out. Results sucked! But whatever! :)

Seriously though...after all the strides I was making last year...I don't know what happened later in the year, but I really lost it. And I am still looking for it. Considering lessons. I haven't taken any in a while and wondering if I keep trying to solve things if I'll make it worse. New GolfTec opened like a few miles from my house...starting to thing - what the hell...may as well give it a shot. Anyone tried them and any thoughts on GolfTec in general (I know...they all vary depending on the coaches, etc....) but just curious if the value seems to be there with them.

I still think 99.9% of my problem is my brain and not swing. My brain is the worst.

Last edited:
Nope, not breaking 100 here @bobellis75 but then again, we still can't play here in England yet until the end of March

Hopefully it won't be too bad when I can eventually swing a club again

It's been brutal here as well....I hadn't played all winter anyway, then we had the crazy freeze. Yesterday was suddenly 65 degrees and I took that opportunity to go hit. Even performing lousy, it was fun to get out.

Looks like I'll fit right in with this thread. I'm back playing this year from a 20+ year hiatus. In that time, hovering between 100 and 105 until recently. The last half dozen rounds, except for one have been mid to low 90s.

I came really close to breaking 90 a couple weeks ago, but topped my chip shot on #16 that was maybe 25 feet off the green. It went skipping across, coming to rest on the cart path at the next tee box. Big Fat Triple! Ended up at 90. But then it was a 69 par course. A bit shorter than some.

A couple weeks before that, I was at Morro Bay on the Central California coast. The greens were blazing fast with unpredictable breaks. I had one that I swear was on level ground, about a 25 footer for par. I hit it pretty well, and it was going straight toward the hole, when it suddenly slowed, made a u-turn about a foot from the hole and came right back, ending up further away than from where it started. Ended up with a triple on that one too. Just gotta laugh at it! Ended up at 102 that day.

I've been practicing most on pitching and chipping, and that has really been the big change. It helped a lot back in the day, and it helps a lot today. There are a lot of holes that I just don't have the distance to realistically hit the greens on some par 4s in two, and long par 5s in three. And, a lot of times, I have the distance, but either miss left to right, or don't hit it clean. So the "Under 50 Yards" shots are the game-savers!

Looks like I'll fit right in with this thread. I'm back playing this year from a 20+ year hiatus. In that time, hovering between 100 and 105 until recently. The last half dozen rounds, except for one have been mid to low 90s.

I came really close to breaking 90 a couple weeks ago, but topped my chip shot on #16 that was maybe 25 feet off the green. It went skipping across, coming to rest on the cart path at the next tee box. Big Fat Triple! Ended up at 90. But then it was a 69 par course. A bit shorter than some.

A couple weeks before that, I was at Morro Bay on the Central California coast. The greens were blazing fast with unpredictable breaks. I had one that I swear was on level ground, about a 25 footer for par. I hit it pretty well, and it was going straight toward the hole, when it suddenly slowed, made a u-turn about a foot from the hole and came right back, ending up further away than from where it started. Ended up with a triple on that one too. Just gotta laugh at it! Ended up at 102 that day.

I've been practicing most on pitching and chipping, and that has really been the big change. It helped a lot back in the day, and it helps a lot today. There are a lot of holes that I just don't have the distance to realistically hit the greens on some par 4s in two, and long par 5s in three. And, a lot of times, I have the distance, but either miss left to right, or don't hit it clean. So the "Under 50 Yards" shots are the game-savers!
welcome aboard....sounds like you fit right in, for sure!

I noticed my biggest improvements around chipping/pitching/wedge play as well...it's a huge part of the game, can put you in position to birdie a hole, or it can stop the bleeding on an otherwise poor hole. short game/putting improvement is where I have always seen my biggest improvements to scoring.

Keep at it...you'll get there (or so I say...yet I am still in the breaking 100 thread.....)

Keep at it...you'll get there (or so I say...yet I am still in the breaking 100 thread.....)

Thanks! You make a feller feel right t'home!

I'd imagine that hovering between 90 to 100 is likely to be where I will stay. Not getting any younger, but getting stiffer all the time! That elusive 80-something score might still be attainable on some magic day when all the stars align! But, like many of you in this thread, and to quote Dirty Harry, "A Man/Woman has to be Aware of His/Her Limitations!"

It puts a person in good company with your garden variety weekend players. It even puts me in good company with my son, who is developing his game at the moment, and has yet to beat "The Old Man!" He has it within him to obliterate me....IF....he can keep from overthinking. I really look forward to that day!

Plus, even shooting the scores I do, I can beat the pants off my two brothers-in law. Particularly if we can keep one of 'em honest. At some holes, no matter how many hacks he takes at that ball, it seems he can't count any higher than five!

I'd imagine that hovering between 90 to 100 is likely to be where I will stay. Not getting any younger, but getting stiffer all the time! That elusive 80-something score might still be attainable on some magic day when all the stars align! But, like many of you in this thread, and to quote Dirty Harry, "A Man/Woman has to be Aware of His/Her Limitations!"

It puts a person in good company with your garden variety weekend players. It even puts me in good company with my son, who is developing his game at the moment, and has yet to beat "The Old Man!" He has it within him to obliterate me....IF....he can keep from overthinking. I really look forward to that day!

Plus, even shooting the scores I do, I can beat the pants off my two brothers-in law. Particularly if we can keep one of 'em honest. At some holes, no matter how many hacks he takes at that ball, it seems he can't count any higher than five!
I'm happy to be in the 90's at this point. I'm 45 now...the back is a little stiffer, I've had a rotator cuff issue, other things...I'm not old, but my body feels old on any given day.

I'm happy to hit decent looking (non-embarrassing) golf shots and as you said - hang with the weekend warriors a bit...

Well, the snow is melting, and I can see the grass, so, there’s that. Haven’t swung a club in anger in months. Haven’t been feeling the fever, but waiting vfor the bug to bite when it’s a bit warmer. My usual wintering spot closed due to the dome collapsing, so I’m gonna be rusty as hell when I first go out.

Well, the snow is melting, and I can see the grass, so, there’s that. Haven’t swung a club in anger in months. Haven’t been feeling the fever, but waiting vfor the bug to bite when it’s a bit warmer. My usual wintering spot closed due to the dome collapsing, so I’m gonna be rusty as hell when I first go out.

I'm eager to get out and it's way too early in year for those thoughts. It had been a very mild winter until February hit. There's now a lot of snow that has to melt. The courses won't open another month and a half at best so I have to curb my enthusiasm.

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a few new clubs, two of which are wedges. That's a part of the game I'm hoping to significantly improve this year. Hopefully, there will be some bare ground soon to practice on.

I'm eager to get out and it's way too early in year for those thoughts. It had been a very mild winter until February hit. There's now a lot of snow that has to melt. The courses won't open another month and a half at best so I have to curb my enthusiasm.

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a few new clubs, two of which are wedges. That's a part of the game I'm hoping to significantly improve this year. Hopefully, there will be some bare ground soon to practice on.
Here in Central NC we've had more of a rain problem. Literally day after day of downpours at times over the last 3 or 4 weeks. Two ice storms as well but those only impacted us for a day or two each. Here's to reasonably dry Spring weather for all.

Here in Central NC we've had more of a rain problem. Literally day after day of downpours at times over the last 3 or 4 weeks. Two ice storms as well but those only impacted us for a day or two each. Here's to reasonably dry Spring weather for all.

Too much rain or even a little ice can make a course just as unplayable as snow.

I lived in Hendersonville, NC for a short period of time as a kid. I'd go back to visit throughout the several years and fell in love with that part of the state. 55 years later, if it were up to me I'd seriously consider NC or even South Carolina as a retirement option. They do get the occasional snow storm in the winter but I don't believe it stays around for long. Is there an "official" season down there?

Keep at it!! That 89 (or lower) might just sneak up on you when you least expect it.... a nice warm summer day, your swing feeling loose and easy..... next thing you know... everything just clicks. Don’t fixate on it, just play the best you can! Good luck and enjoy!!

Too much rain or even a little ice can make a course just as unplayable as snow.

I lived in Hendersonville, NC for a short period of time as a kid. I'd go back to visit throughout the several years and fell in love with that part of the state. 55 years later, if it were up to me I'd seriously consider NC or even South Carolina as a retirement option. They do get the occasional snow storm in the winter but I don't believe it stays around for long. Is there an "official" season down there?
In Central and Eastern NC there is no official season. Courses are open year round, though fairways may be brown in Winter depending on type of grass. There are some courses that cover greens if it gets really cold and thus are closed for a day or two here and there in winter even if there is no snow, but that's about it. Of course, all the courses are closed for a few days if we get a big snow or ice storm, but this is fairly rare. We might go a couple years sometimes without anything like that.

The mountains is another story, with the Central mountains of NC routinely getting as much snow most years as Chicago (where I am originally from), though it's not quite as cold. The courses there mostly close for the winter months like up North. I love the mountains despite this (and actually really dislike Central NC in July and August).

Today it was windy and cold, after several days of 70° with mild conditions. We had some temporary power outages and trees knocked over. But otherwise it was bright and sunny.

Last night a tree blew over and almost hit the clubhouse at our local 9 hole course. I played this morning and for once my frightfully low ball flight was an advantage. If I can get my putter going again my scores will start to drop.

82faa30847a98a75ad790bfa10172377.jpg

Well, my place in the "Trying to Break 100" universe is still secure for the time being.
My son and I played at Visalia (Central California) yesterday. Now, it is quite a bit more challenging. LOTS of fairway bunkers, and lots of water hazards. But I have shot under 100 here before.
The sun was out, a light breeze, and beautiful day! My drives and fairway shots were OK. Not great, not bad. Just OK. But the ONE thing I've been practicing the most....chip shots under 30 yards...was what bit me the hardest. In the first half, just couldn't commit, (fear and tension) and probably cost me at least six, maybe eight points. My son was having difficulty on his fairway shots, and to some degree on his drives. He shot 54, and I shot 52 on the front nine.
At the turn after a couple holes, things weren't getting any better and we both figured breaking 100 was just not gonna happen. So, we switched to a match play format.
Things instantly turned around and started being a bunch more fun. I won the first hole, then we matched on the rest until the last two, and he took those. I don't thing we had more than two holes worse than bogey until the last hole, a 516 yard par five. Both on in four, he two putted, and it took me three after I blew past the hole on my first.
It was so much more fun, we decided that we would play that way the next few times out.

Well, my place in the "Trying to Break 100" universe is still secure for the time being.
My son and I played at Visalia (Central California) yesterday. Now, it is quite a bit more challenging. LOTS of fairway bunkers, and lots of water hazards. But I have shot under 100 here before.
The sun was out, a light breeze, and beautiful day! My drives and fairway shots were OK. Not great, not bad. Just OK. But the ONE thing I've been practicing the most....chip shots under 30 yards...was what bit me the hardest. In the first half, just couldn't commit, (fear and tension) and probably cost me at least six, maybe eight points. My son was having difficulty on his fairway shots, and to some degree on his drives. He shot 54, and I shot 52 on the front nine.
At the turn after a couple holes, things weren't getting any better and we both figured breaking 100 was just not gonna happen. So, we switched to a match play format.
Things instantly turned around and started being a bunch more fun. I won the first hole, then we matched on the rest until the last two, and he took those. I don't thing we had more than two holes worse than bogey until the last hole, a 516 yard par five. Both on in four, he two putted, and it took me three after I blew past the hole on my first.
It was so much more fun, we decided that we would play that way the next few times out.

Sometimes letting go of a goal and doing something different can turn your game around and result in an enjoyable time. In December I agreed to gamble on a round (which I almost never do). It was low stakes...the Max I could lose was 10 bucks. I was playing relatively poorly through 11 or 12 holes, so I went ahead and pulled the $10 out of my wallet and put it in the cup holder of the other team’s cart. Once I did that things turned around and I ended up breaking 100. I still lost the $10, but I played better and enjoyed the rest of the round a lot more than the first part of it.

Sometimes letting go of a goal and doing something different can turn your game around and result in an enjoyable time. In December I agreed to gamble on a round (which I almost never do). It was low stakes...the Max I could lose was 10 bucks. I was playing relatively poorly through 11 or 12 holes, so I went ahead and pulled the $10 out of my wallet and put it in the cup holder of the other team’s cart. Once I did that things turned around and I ended up breaking 100. I still lost the $10, but I played better and enjoyed the rest of the round a lot more than the first part of it.
Couldn't agree more. On a couple of occasions this has been true for me. On one particularly bad run - to the point where I didn't want to play with anyone else - a friend of mine suggested we play a scramble format. There was something about not having the pressure of making a good shot that I think just allowed me to swing more freely. That seemed to turn things around somewhat.

Hello all, it's been a while.

I've managed no more than a handful of rounds in the past 12 months with everything that's been going on, but can't wait to get back at it now we've been been given a start date in England. A little scared to think what the scores might be like, but just going to be happy to get out there again.

Just enjoy it! Over here, the golf course was the one place I could feel normal - at least once I teed off. To keep my distance, I walked every round using a pushcart (sorry - trolley).

Just enjoy it! Over here, the golf course was the one place I could feel normal - at least once I teed off. To keep my distance, I walked every round using a pushcart (sorry - trolley).

Once I'm out there I'm sure scores will be the last thing on my mind. Always been a great way to clear the head.

Back