Trying to Break 100

Bring on March 29th!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unfortunately, I will have to wait until the Good Friday before I have a chance to play due to work, but then I do have the following week off so I am hoping the weather is amenable to a few rounds

Today it was windy and cold, after several days of 70° with mild conditions. We had some temporary power outages and trees knocked over. But otherwise it was bright and sunny.

Last night a tree blew over and almost hit the clubhouse at our local 9 hole course. I played this morning and for once my frightfully low ball flight was an advantage. If I can get my putter going again my scores will start to drop.

82faa30847a98a75ad790bfa10172377.jpg

On Saturday it was a crazy windy day with gusts up to 35 mph. But the sun was shining. And I like to hit balls at least once a week so I went out to the range. I had to keep the hoodie on and mask because the cold wind was burning my face. It was the worst range day in quite a while. I had a hard time hitting clean shots.

I had to ask myself was it the wind or was it me? Well, yesterday was a nice 70 degree day. I played nine holes and shot a 46. I hit the ball really well. Just the usual mistakes keeping me from playing bogey golf. Too many putts again. And a penalty for a lost ball in the rough. So I'll just chalk it up to the wind messing me up.

Couldn't agree more. On a couple of occasions this has been true for me. On one particularly bad run - to the point where I didn't want to play with anyone else - a friend of mine suggested we play a scramble format. There was something about not having the pressure of making a good shot that I think just allowed me to swing more freely. That seemed to turn things around somewhat.

Since I retired I have a lot more time to work on the game. I hit the range at least once a week. Sometimes twice. Been doing that for the past couple years. Its finally paying off. Since mid summer it seems every time I play a round I'm hitting the ball much better. Sometimes the scores don't reflect it for a variety of reasons. An occasional 50 on the front nine. But it doesn't bother me because I know I'm hitting the ball well enough. More often than not the 18 hole score is in the low 90's.

It finally happened today!!!

I started last year averaging 115-120 per round but intending to get better. Even with COVID, I got out more than I ever had and was just grinding away. By the end of the season, I was averaging 105-110. I never really ended the season and continued to get out as weather permitted.

During the winter, I signed up and got some lessons. I also upgraded most of the bag to fitted clubs. On top of that, I continued to practice to build the muscle memory on what a “good” swing feels like.

I went out on Friday to the local Par 3 course and things just started to click. I could feel the swings before I hit the ball.

Then I went out today for the first full 18 round of 2021. I played it safe (because the driver has gone and died in a hole) and mainly hit 4i off the tee. It has enough distance, but mainly it goes straight. From there, I was focusing on the muscle memory; feeling what a good swing feels like. After that, it just hitting the ball. I have never had more consistent hits. Any bad shot is forgotten and only the current shot is being thought about. “What does a good swing feel like”, then execute. Minimize damage and keep going.

I ended with a 98!

I started last year averaging 115-120 per round but intending to get better. Even with COVID, I got out more than I ever had and was just grinding away. By the end of the season, I was averaging 105-110. I never really ended the season and continued to get out as weather permitted.

During the winter, I signed up and got some lessons. I also upgraded most of the bag to fitted clubs. On top of that, I continued to practice to build the muscle memory on what a “good” swing feels like.

I went out on Friday to the local Par 3 course and things just started to click. I could feel the swings before I hit the ball.

Then I went out today for the first full 18 round of 2021. I played it safe (because the driver has gone and died in a hole) and mainly hit 4i off the tee. It has enough distance, but mainly it goes straight. From there, I was focusing on the muscle memory; feeling what a good swing feels like. After that, it just hitting the ball. I have never had more consistent hits. Any bad shot is forgotten and only the current shot is being thought about. “What does a good swing feel like”, then execute. Minimize damage and keep going.

I ended with a 98!
Congrats and great round!!!! Keep that thought always and things will continue to improve for you. Well done.

I ended with a 98!
Congrats, what a great feeling!

I ended with a 98!
Congrats! I know the feeling. It's the best.

I ended with a 98!

Congrats. Sounds like you're on the right track. Putting bad shots behind you and focusing on the next shot is half the battle. The other half is confidence. Put in the time at the range and sooner or later your game will really come around. There is no substitute for practice. Its where you can build that muscle memory. I don't worry so much about my scores anymore. I feel like I'm hitting the ball so much better than I was a year ago and the scores have been dropping without me spending so much energy focusing on a good score. And that is due to practicing at the range as much as possible.

I ended with a 98!
Congrats on the score (y)

Being able to forget about the last shot is a big piece of the puzzle mentally to getting you on the right track, so hopefully you can take that forward for future rounds and continue to break that 100 barrier

Another good thing to be able to do is to ignore your cumulative score as much as possible, as when you are having a good round and get towards the last few holes, that pressure starts to build knowing that you could be breaking a barrier, and how you deal with it can be the difference between making it and not

I ended with a 98!
That's a great round, well played.

After that, it just hitting the ball. I have never had more consistent hits. Any bad shot is forgotten and only the current shot is being thought about. “What does a good swing feel like”, then execute. Minimize damage and keep going.

I ended with a 98!
Great job! I think one thing stands out here is "just hitting the ball" which I am assuming means hitting it good and getting it where you want it to go for the next hit. I think my best games were when I was relaxed and simply played target golf thinking ahead instead of behind and kept all the "swing thoughts" at bay as best as possible.

Congrats on the score (y)

Being able to forget about the last shot is a big piece of the puzzle mentally to getting you on the right track, so hopefully you can take that forward for future rounds and continue to break that 100 barrier

Another good thing to be able to do is to ignore your cumulative score as much as possible, as when you are having a good round and get towards the last few holes, that pressure starts to build knowing that you could be breaking a barrier, and how you deal with it can be the difference between making it and not
This is something that’s helped immensely too; I don’t add up any scores until the round is done. I write down the score for the hole and move on. I didn’t know I was even close until I started doing the math in the parking lot.

First round of the year today - had to take advantage of 65 degree temps.

Good news: I didn't hurt myself. #goals

Good news: I hit my driver close to midseason form (only one putrid shot out of 13)

Bad: wedge play and putting were ugly. Shot 46/53 for a 99. The second nine I might have run a little low on energy (hadn't eating since 8 pm Monday - intermittent fasting diet.). Whatever the reason, I had a 9 and a 10 on the 2 par 5's (both holes hit shots OB).

Good news: I hit my driver close to midseason form (only one putrid shot out of 13)

Bad: wedge play and putting were ugly. Shot 46/53 for a 99. The second nine I might have run a little low on energy (hadn't eating since 8 pm Monday - intermittent fasting diet.). Whatever the reason, I had a 9 and a 10 on the 2 par 5's (both holes hit shots OB).
There is some good positives in there though. Won't take long to get up to speed and you'll break 90 this year. :golf2:

I wouldn't read into anything for the first couple rounds of the year, even more so if you haven't been able to practice either

It will all come back to you

I wouldn't read into anything for the first couple rounds of the year, even more so if you haven't been able to practice either

It will all come back to you
There is some good positives in there though. Won't take long to get up to speed and you'll break 90 this year. :golf2:

I was actually pretty pleased with how I was swinging the clubs, considering I hadn't practiced at all for 3+ months. A little practice with the short shots & the scores will drop.

I ended with a 98!
Right on!!!

Hey, for a first round, that's not bad at all. I'm going to brave the chill tomorrow and do a nine walking just to hit balls around. No score keeping for me after months of laying off.

Hey, for a first round, that's not bad at all. I'm going to brave the chill tomorrow and do a nine walking just to hit balls around. No score keeping for me after months of laying off.
Have fun!!!!

Have fun!!!!
Well, it may not be fun in the classic sense of the word, but it will be enlightening to see what may have stuck from the end of last season, when I was tweaking the swing and the grip.

My buddy and I played 18 on a par 62 local course today. Aside from making my usual bonehead mistakes I felt like I hit the ball pretty well though still giving away too many shots. But I thought I did okay. Until I added up my score - 85! I thought at worst it would maybe be 82.

Bummed about the score but I felt pretty good out there.

My daughter and I went up to a course where her first HS golf match of the season will be. We'd only ever played the front nine and we wanted to seriously play 18 so she could check out the back 9 in case the 9-hole match was played on the back. Well, it was not to be - way too crowded. We played the front nine and then "drove" the back nine, stopping to play 3 holes for practice and just looking at the layout of the others, waiting until appropriate to ride past each group we encountered, slowing down to briefly explain what we were doing. It was totally wall-to-wall golfers crowded and play was just too slow and we were risking darkness before we could see the last holes if we had stuck with it and tried to play. Anyway, I shot a 53 on the front. OK, but not great. Here's the thing - my tee shots and short game were good, probably average or a little better than average for me, but for some reason I keep chunking my irons on full swings, resulting in distance loss, or wayward shots left or right. Just a few weeks ago, everything was the opposite. Golf for me is sometimes like one of those clown balloons. Get one part pushed into shape and it bulges somewhere else!

Walked a chilly nine yesterday. Stunk up the course.

Back