Trying to Break 100

I got out for an 18 hole round yesterday morning. The second dose of the vaccine and faded enough where I convinced the wife I was okay to play. And so glad I did, ended with a new PB of 93! It’s crazy that I have shot a new PB in back to back rounds. I know it won’t continue on forever but I’m loving it right now.

The drives were good (only actually used the driver once, but the long irons/hybrid did great), the approach shots hit the green a lot, and only had one 3-putt.

Now if I can just knock off the duffed chips and the thinned across the green shots I might have a chance at breaking 90 soon too.
You're killing it!! Back-to-back PBs is great!!

11.5 degree driver, and 16.5 degree FW, here.

Gotcha, have you been on a launch monitor and seen your launch characteristics? If you're getting a weak looking shot/flight you're probably hitting down and the only way you can hit down a little bit and get away with it is an excess of clubhead speed.

shot a dismal 109 yesterday. Driver was hit or miss, couldnt hold the greens and my putts were burning the edges all day!

Gotcha, have you been on a launch monitor and seen your launch characteristics? If you're getting a weak looking shot/flight you're probably hitting down and the only way you can hit down a little bit and get away with it is an excess of clubhead speed.
1620085876220.jpeg
This is the only thing I’ve ever had that gave me info.

Good shooting! Get the irons under control and you'll be golden.👏
Oh, and your doing it wrong, us amateur players shouldn't be bagging a driver! 😉
https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...ng-up-on-driver-after-30-years.8929861/page-6. 🤣🤣🤣

Lol, I wish I could hit the other clubs as well. I seem to have lost the iron swing I found for a few months. Most of them are hard left pulls. When I try not to pull it I tend to hit it fat and short. My scores haven't been creeping up too bad thanks to the improved short game. My lag putting has gotten a lot better.

shot a dismal 109 yesterday. Driver was hit or miss, couldnt hold the greens and my putts were burning the edges all day!
Man, I feel ya!! I've been burning edges and lipping putts out this season like never before. The putter feels great, the stroke is good, the line is good, well, except for that last 1/4". LOL.

Had a really fun round today. No, I didn't score well. Not bad either. A 97. I can live with that. But I really enjoyed it out there. Weather was really nice. Started the morning in the upper 60's and was lower 80's when we finished. I don't even feel the least bit tired. Played with my grandson, his girlfriend's father and a friend.

I've been battling with pull shots too far left lately. Only hit two greens in regulation with almost all the misses to the left. Missed some makeable putts. Lag putting wasn't so good either, resulting in a few 3 putts.

The good was only one triple bogey. But not enough pars to offset all the doubles. What made this round fun was my driver. Hit 9 fairways. The misses weren't too bad except for one hole I pulled into the trees and was 300 yards from the green on my second shot. That was the triple bogey hole.

There's an old saying, no matter how bad its going there's one shot that will bring me back. It was the last shot of the round. On hole 18 I hit a solid drive. But that hole has two fairway bunkers with only about 15 yards between them. I hit into the left bunker about 250 yards. I didn't hit a very good shot out of the bunker. 3rd shot ended up in the greenside bunker. 4th was skulled into the greenside rough behind the green about 30 yards to the hole. I ended up holing the chip to save bogey.

As always, there's a couple parts of the game that prevents me from going over 100. Today was the driver and greenside chipping. But there's always something that prevents me from getting closer to 90. Today was the left pull shots and too many putts. The greens were very fast so most of the lags were too long. leaving me with a lot of 8-10 foot putts coming back the other way.

After a month off for Sciatica issues, I shot a 39, 39, and today a 37.
A big shout out to Cleveland CBX2 wedges (50 and 60). Those wedges are the best for my game and SOOOO easy to hit good.

Ran into Hamfist on the 10th tee today. He was hitting the ball decently, I drank decently, fun was had. Will be doing it again tomorrow

Ran into Hamfist on the 10th tee today. He was hitting the ball decently, I drank decently, fun was had. Will be doing it again tomorrow
And fun was had on a cool, windy day, today. Ben crushing the driver all day, threatening an under par round. Ham hitting good shots, but burning a lot of edges. Almost empty course put us at 1:40 for the front, but caught up to some people around the 14th. A moist course, but nothing bad. A great round.

102 today. I really stumbled on 17 and 18. It’s either fatigue or lack of focus, but I regularly stumble down the stretch. Gotta work on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After shooting sub 100 rounds I was back up in Triple digits this week.
Funny thing is one of the guys I was playing with commented that I had gotten much better since last year.
I have been using the Planemate and I really like it. My chipping has gotten way more consistent. I just haven't been able to put it all together yet but hopefully it will come.

Finally got my first full round in :)
Practically sprinted to and off the first tee to not get stuck behind a twosome having the same idea at around the same time, got punished with a streak of doubles to open the round.
went on a streak of bogeys from 4-8, then completely blew up the 9th.
1st shot water, 3rd safe, 4th in front of a tree, 5th in front of another tree, 6 finally a nice and easy pitch... sand. Out of that and 2 putts. 9 on a par 4. Nein.
Contemplated turning in at the club house, instead carried those vibes over to the back nine where i collected 2 triples but otherwise played reasonable.

Out in 52, back in 51, 103 total.
Playing off of 32 at this course, i shot ~ my handicap from 4 years ago for this first full round back. Feeling pretty happy about that part.

Left some chips and putts a longer way away than you should, but the most erratic part is definitely off the tee and long irons.
Put a wide open fairway in front of me and I'll find a way to push or hook it into the weeds or in front/under a tree.

Last edited:
55/45 100 (28 Hdcp Diff.).

Well, the stench from last week's round was still hanging in the air the first time through my 9 hole course. Couldn't control the face on any of my clubs. Even layups and punch-outs were an adventure. The only positive note may have been my short game.

The second time through the course was a little better and I'll take a 45 on 9 holes any day of the week. But it wasn't without some glaring weaknesses.

I'm back to two-way misses with the driver. When it's off as it was last week, it's easy to assume it was just a bad round. The fact that it was as bad today has me a little worried. For several rounds this season, I enjoyed what feels like very good control with that club. It was fun to see what my game could be like without the myriad of penalties off the tee. The only thing that saved me from another blowup round today was that on this short course, the driver gets pulled less often than normal.

Still, even though I didn't break 100 I'm glad I went out. 3 hour round... hit some good shots... beautiful weather.

The rain stopped me from going out yesterday and Sunday it was supposed to rain in the afternoon. I got up and got some breakfast and decided it would be go-time around 10:30. The sun was out and things would be perfect. I get the golf duds on and when I went to put on my last shoe is when my back decided to take a major hike. Instant pain and the type that you don't know if you should drop to the floor or try to sit down. Either way, the day and the ones to follow are screwed. The borough is having their spring cleanup in a week and I could see someone throwing every golf-related item in the dumpster and be done with all the ********.

Played well today with 5 pars, but one blowout hole. Shot a 79 on a par 61, so bogey golf.

The rain stopped me from going out yesterday and Sunday it was supposed to rain in the afternoon. I got up and got some breakfast and decided it would be go-time around 10:30. The sun was out and things would be perfect. I get the golf duds on and when I went to put on my last shoe is when my back decided to take a major hike. Instant pain and the type that you don't know if you should drop to the floor or try to sit down. Either way, the day and the ones to follow are screwed. The borough is having their spring cleanup in a week and I could see someone throwing every golf-related item in the dumpster and be done with all the ********.
Ah, been there before with the sudden crippling back pain. Mine used to come with a sneeze I hadn't braced for. You have my sympathy. And my recommendation to get a good chiropractor.

Went to the range yesterday. Got a bay that had a tracking gizmo in it. Yeesh. I knew I was short, but that was painful to read those numbers.:(

Anyhoo, was monkeying around with different stuff, choking down on the grip an inch on my irons and hybrids. I was doing an experiment, since, on Saturday with ntanygd760, I was hitting "OK" on the front, and on the back nine I choked up and was getting much better strikes with the irons an FWs.

I think somedays I play like I'm an actual 5'4", some days it's 5'3".

So, did the choking up, and was getting some nice high iron shots, but, as to be expected, lost a full club distance for each.

I'll just club up on the course from now on.

Went to the range yesterday. Got a bay that had a tracking gizmo in it. Yeesh. I knew I was short, but that was painful to read those numbers.:(

Anyhoo, was monkeying around with different stuff, choking down on the grip an inch on my irons and hybrids. I was doing an experiment, since, on Saturday with ntanygd760, I was hitting "OK" on the front, and on the back nine I choked up and was getting much better strikes with the irons an FWs.

I think somedays I play like I'm an actual 5'4", some days it's 5'3".

So, did the choking up, and was getting some nice high iron shots, but, as to be expected, lost a full club distance for each.

I'll just club up on the course from now on.
Clubbing up good plan

I got out for a misty, cool 18 this morning. The round started out promising compared to how I’ve played the last couple of times. My slice has returned, but at least O could make contact with my irons. I alternated bogeys and doubles for the first five holes. Then I tripled 6 and put up a 10 on 7. I finished out the front nine with two bogeys and a 53. It should have been better, but I just never could figure out the wet, slow greens. I don’t think I made a single putt from outside three feet.

Unfortunately number 10 is the hardest hole on this particular course, requiring two sizeable water crossings. I dribbles my tee shot left, then out two in the water from there. Finally got one across, then out another in the next segment of water. I carded a big fat 16.

I never got back on the train from there. There where’re any more huge numbers, but I did have a couple of eights. I ended up with a 119, but it felt miles better than the 120 I put up last time out. At least I was able to hit the ball today.

I got out for a misty, cool 18 this morning. The round started out promising compared to how I’ve played the last couple of times. My slice has returned, but at least O could make contact with my irons. I alternated bogeys and doubles for the first five holes. Then I tripled 6 and put up a 10 on 7. I finished out the front nine with two bogeys and a 53. It should have been better, but I just never could figure out the wet, slow greens. I don’t think I made a single putt from outside three feet.

Unfortunately number 10 is the hardest hole on this particular course, requiring two sizeable water crossings. I dribbles my tee shot left, then out two in the water from there. Finally got one across, then out another in the next segment of water. I carded a big fat 16.

I never got back on the train from there. There where’re any more huge numbers, but I did have a couple of eights. I ended up with a 119, but it felt miles better than the 120 I put up last time out. At least I was able to hit the ball today.
Ouch. Well, all I can say is to keep thinking about the positive, and repress the trauma from the rest. I speak as one who has been there, and now refuses to score anything but double par on a hole. If I'm laying a 6 on a par 4, with a sure 2-putt coming up, I'll just pick it up.

Ouch. Well, all I can say is to keep thinking about the positive, and repress the trauma from the rest. I speak as one who has been there, and now refuses to score anything but double par on a hole. If I'm laying a 6 on a par 4, with a sure 2-putt coming up, I'll just pick it up.

I'm a bit masochistic I guess. When things start going horribly wrong I feel like I have to see how poorly it's going to turn out. I have my limits, though. Once I get to three or so monster holes in a round I no longer feel obligated to finish holes that start to go south.

I'm a bit masochistic I guess. When things start going horribly wrong I feel like I have to see how poorly it's going to turn out. I have my limits, though. Once I get to three or so monster holes in a round I no longer feel obligated to finish holes that start to go south.
When I know a round is in the can, so to speak, I just make it a practice round.

Here are the numbers...
8 penalties (16 strokes)
44 putts (a couple from off the green, but still)
Score of 111.

I'm not sure why I continue to do this to myself year after year. I can't improve, I can't enjoy this level of golf, and I can't walk away from the game. This is my 10th season and I'm out of answers. I've tried not letting it get to me, tried working harder at it, tried lessons... I make progress and then I drop back to the scores I was shooting my first season. It's not like I have lofty goals. Bogey golf... that's all I'm hoping for. I know the game is hard, but it shouldn't be this hard.

Oh well... first-world problems.

I did hit some good shots today. I was getting more distance than normal with my driver and irons. My chipping and pitching were as good as they've been all year. But when I can't keep the ball between the ropes and can't judge or hit lag putts, none of that matters. I had zero confidence with the 3h, and with the driver in hand, I didn't know whether I'd smoke one down the center, hook it, or slice it.

Back