Trying to Break 100

That's a very good round! I haven't had two birdies in the same nine since....ever, as far as I can recall. I'm stoked with a couple pars per nine. Not to toot my own horn, but a few weeks ago, I did chutt in for par on two holes in one nine. (And felt exultant, as I should have.)
Having one, let alone two birdies in one round is unheard of for me. This round had a lot of firsts:
The first time I had two birdies in one round.
The first time my wife had a birdie on this course, and it was on the same hole as my first birdie (I hit it 8 feet to the left of the flag, and she hit hers 6 feet to the right of the flag).
The first time I hit a bomb that ended up 270 yards from the tee.
The first time I hit a 41 on the front nine.

Overall, I am improving after 2 months off for back issues. It doesn't hurt that I am playing 2 or 3 times per week now, literally and figuratively.

Having one, let alone two birdies in one round is unheard of for me. This round had a lot of firsts:
The first time I had two birdies in one round.
The first time my wife had a birdie on this course, and it was on the same hole as my first birdie (I hit it 8 feet to the left of the flag, and she hit hers 6 feet to the right of the flag).
The first time I hit a bomb that ended up 270 yards from the tee.
The first time I hit a 41 on the front nine.

Overall, I am improving after 2 months off for back issues. It doesn't hurt that I am playing 2 or 3 times per week now, literally and figuratively.
See?? Great golf!! Good to hear your back isn't hurting.

If so, then BAAA BAAA, baby!

This is the most social, supportive, entertaining group at this place. It’s free of testosterone-infused diatribes, conspicuous consumption and brown nosing for freebies.

It has people, who are trying to have fun (and occasional commiseration)while attempting to get a handle on a sometimes-difficult game.

This is one of my favorite threads on the forum. Even though 100+ doesn't really happen for me anymore, I still love the people in this thread and have had an absolute blast at the "Breaking 100" gatherings we've had.

I don't care what you shoot - as long as the pace stays up I can fun with anyone - even Hammy.

This is one of my favorite threads on the forum. Even though 100+ doesn't really happen for me anymore, I still love the people in this thread and have had an absolute blast at the "Breaking 100" gatherings we've had.

I don't care what you shoot - as long as the pace stays up I can fun with anyone - even Hammy.
With Covid seemingly under control, we need another Breaking 100 gathering. Any thoughts?

A bold statement!!

With Covid seemingly under control, we need another Breaking 100 gathering. Any thoughts?
I can be persuaded.

Should we do it in the Arkansas area so I can have a mano a mano showdown with OldandStiff?

Any of you guys in the NY tristate area?

Should we do it in the Arkansas area so I can have a mano a mano showdown with OldandStiff?

That would work for me, but from what I understand of OldandStiff’s game, I think you misspelled “beat down.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A breaking 100 gathering is a good idea, even though I'm self-exiled to solo rounds for the rest of my life. I'd be willing caddie for @Hamfist - as long as I don't have to carry that bag of 27 clubs he likes to game.

I was thinking about this one today.

Where are you aiming your scatter pattern?

A pro, or a single-digit amateur, has a relatively small scatter pattern. As we know, the scatter pattern means roughly half the shots will fall to the left, half to the right, half short and half long. A good player can say, "Hmmm...pin's extreme right. I'll put my scatter pattern a few yards left of the pin," and I think us higher-handicappers sometimes let ourselves do the same.

I'm becoming more and more convinced, on a normal hole, anyone who isn't regularly breaking 85 should always put the center of their scatter pattern in the center of the green, no matter where the pin is. Us mortals have a huge scatter pattern. Putting it in the center of the green regardless of pin position will give you the maximum chance to be putting on your next shot, and take pressure off your short game. Yes, there will be times where you'll hit a dead-straight shot and think "I could have been right next to the pin if I'd aimed there rather than having a 30-foot putt." But there's also going to be times when you're going to push or pull it and be right next to the pin simply because you did aim at the center of the green.

There will certainly be holes where you need to adjust based on the hazards. If the hole has water all on the right side and a tiered green with the pin in the front right, you're going to want to put the center of your scatter pattern on the front left of the green, giving you the maximum chance to be on the lower tier or short, and on the green or left of it.

I think sometimes I get lazy or overconfident with my aiming. Sure, if you're having a day where your irons are just red hot you can move your patten a little closer to the pin, but I think a lot of us would benefit from being more conscious of where we're putting the center of our scatter pattern.

Last edited:
anyone who isn't regularly breaking 85 should always put the center of their scatter pattern in the center of the green, no matter where the pin is. Us mortals have a huge scatter pattern
Pretty solid advice, IMO. I can't imagine aiming at a flag with anything but a wedge - and even then, I have to feel more in control than usual.

I think we all have a threshold of how close we need to be before we start picking spots on a green. Sometimes it depends on where and how bad the trouble is. My shot zone or scatter pattern is wide enough with mid irons and hybrids that with water on the left, I might pick the right side of the green instead of the center of the green and accept a shot that lands off the green on the right. Some think I'm wrong about this, but a miss slightly short of the green on a couple of holes at my home course is often a good result.

Pretty solid advice, IMO. I can't imagine aiming at a flag with anything but a wedge - and even then, I have to feel more in control than usual.

I think we all have a threshold of how close we need to be before we start picking spots on a green. Sometimes it depends on where and how bad the trouble is. My shot zone or scatter pattern is wide enough with mid irons and hybrids that with water on the left, I might pick the right side of the green instead of the center of the green and accept a shot that lands off the green on the right. Some think I'm wrong about this, but a miss slightly short of the green on a couple of holes at my home course is often a good result.

Yep, I'd absolutely agree you can get more fine-grained the shorter club you have in your hand.

I actually am much, much more of a picker of the ball than a "hit down on it and take a pelt of grass" player. If I take a divot, it's usually a bad shot. I might slice a bit of grass about the size of a quarter on a solid strike.

You sound just like me, picking them off the grass like a surgeon. We leave no trace that we were there. A delicate balance of finesse and hitting 5 inches behind the ball. I guess we could call the latter malpractice on our part. :eek:

This finesse player started his very first day of a 13-day vacation with a blown-out back. 💩💩💩💩💩💩 So far, 4 out of the 5 days were basically immobile. I did come around a bit today and cleaned some golf junk out of the trunk of the car. The bag will stay in there for a while. I'm thinking of staying out of the game for an extended time and just reading the exploits of the fine people on this forum.

A breaking 100 gathering is a good idea, even though I'm self-exiled to solo rounds for the rest of my life. I'd be willing caddie for @Hamfist - as long as I don't have to carry that bag of 27 clubs he likes to game.
Variety is the spice of life, my friend.

What time of year are the Cicadas and Cottonwoods no longer a problem?:eek:
Cicadas haven’t hit here, yet. Cottonwoods, I’m not allergic to them, so not an issue.

That would work for me, but from what I understand of OldandStiff’s game, I think you misspelled “beat down.”

I’ve got some cheats in store for Mr. OldandStiff, never you worry.

Finally put together a decent round. 45/46 91 (23.9). 2:45 minutes walking.

6_5Missaukee.png
This was a fun round of golf. The stats were ridiculous and with no correlation to better than average scoring other than the scrambling. I'm not sure where the 2nd GIR came from because I only remember hitting one.

After a horrific day of putting last time out, I was lag putting well and also sinking the 3-5 footers. This course is fairly forgiving off the tee but the rough was very high - as in hard-to-find-your-ball high. Good score for me despite a very poor approach game. It was windy out there and I hit two of the longest drives of my life - 281 and 266 yards. Both were wind-aided so nothing to get too excited about. I started hitting slices on the back 9 but seemed to correct that on the final few holes. On more than a couple occasions, I had trouble finding my ball because I wasn't looking far enough ahead. It's usually the opposite. LOL

In addition to the poor shorter approach shots, I lost several strokes to poor sand play. Other than that, I'll take 38% scrambling which is certainly a record for me. That was a combination of good chipping and good putting.

I have to work on my 80 to 120 yard approaches and bunker play. These are skills I've done alright with in the past.

When I was still working, I told the company scratch golfer friend of mine that I shot an 89, to which he replied, great, what did you shoot on the back 9! Everyone is a comedian.

47/46 - 93. Best this year and my best on that course. I need to play there more often. The course does wonders for my confidence.

There are a lot of people on this forum that have broken 100, and would be a shoe in for a "trying to break 100" golf outing. Just something to think about. I will travel wherever and do my best to convince my wife who plays to come also.

Caberfae6_6.png

Shot another lower than average round this morning. 45/45/ 90 (20.5) at my home course. Very hot out today and the round took over 3 hours due to slow play ahead of me.

Similar stats as yesterday's round, but a bit more even-keeled with nothing higher than a double-bogey. Putting was once again better than average. Only two penalties, and I believe I only had one 3-putt. I'm not going to play much better than that. Short approaches were again a weakness and contributed to the one penalty but decent chipping and putting made up for it.

I had to skip a par 3 due to pace of play reasons and I gave myself a 4 on that hole - I think this is correct. Hole 3 of this 9 hole course has a handicap of 8 (so 16 because it's a 9 hole course, right?). Since my index is 24, I would give myself a bogey on any hole ranked higher than 15 and a double on anything 15 or lower???

Anyway, it doesn't really matter - I'll take a low 90's round all day long. It was enjoyable to play the last two rounds the way the game is supposed to be played.

Finally put together a decent round. 45/46 91 (23.9). 2:45 minutes walking.

View attachment 9011503
This was a fun round of golf. The stats were ridiculous and with no correlation to better than average scoring other than the scrambling. I'm not sure where the 2nd GIR came from because I only remember hitting one.

After a horrific day of putting last time out, I was lag putting well and also sinking the 3-5 footers. This course is fairly forgiving off the tee but the rough was very high - as in hard-to-find-your-ball high. Good score for me despite a very poor approach game. It was windy out there and I hit two of the longest drives of my life - 281 and 266 yards. Both were wind-aided so nothing to get too excited about. I started hitting slices on the back 9 but seemed to correct that on the final few holes. On more than a couple occasions, I had trouble finding my ball because I wasn't looking far enough ahead. It's usually the opposite. LOL

In addition to the poor shorter approach shots, I lost several strokes to poor sand play. Other than that, I'll take 38% scrambling which is certainly a record for me. That was a combination of good chipping and good putting.

I have to work on my 80 to 120 yard approaches and bunker play. These are skills I've done alright with in the past.
So....you're "decent" round is 4 shots worse than my lifetime PB. No more complaints from you, Mister!

Back