Trying to Break 100

So....you're "decent" round is 4 shots worse than my lifetime PB. No more complaints from you, Mister!
If I said I had an absolutely horrendous round on Sunday that was high 80's, could I complain about that?

43/48 on the same course I shot a 92 on last week. PB at this course. Left a few shots out there, but am very pleased at the game right now. Had the new-to-me putter tweaked at GG yesterday to hopefully start sinking a few more.

View attachment 9011624

Shot another lower than average round this morning. 45/45/ 90 (20.5) at my home course. Very hot out today and the round took over 3 hours due to slow play ahead of me.

Similar stats as yesterday's round, but a bit more even-keeled with nothing higher than a double-bogey. Putting was once again better than average. Only two penalties, and I believe I only had one 3-putt. I'm not going to play much better than that. Short approaches were again a weakness and contributed to the one penalty but decent chipping and putting made up for it.

I had to skip a par 3 due to pace of play reasons and I gave myself a 4 on that hole - I think this is correct. Hole 3 of this 9 hole course has a handicap of 8 (so 16 because it's a 9 hole course, right?). Since my index is 24, I would give myself a bogey on any hole ranked higher than 15 and a double on anything 15 or lower???

Anyway, it doesn't really matter - I'll take a low 90's round all day long. It was enjoyable to play the last two rounds the way the game is supposed to be played.

Stop making my brain hurt!!

For what it is worth, I am hitting the snot out of my driver, and have no idea how it is happening.

Had a @Hamfist sighting today. He was kind enough to let me try the new flat stick on the practice green while I sobered up enough to drive 1500 yards or so.
Put in the work and breaking 100 is well within anyone's reach.

View attachment 9011624

and the round took over 3 hours due to slow play ahead of me.

slow play????? My goodness that would be a dream! The last time this AZ boy played a 3 hour round Ozark National left the fairway sprinklers on for our 18th hole.

slow play????? My goodness that would be a dream! The last time this AZ boy played a 3 hour round Ozark National left the fairway sprinklers on for our 18th hole.
I should explain... I was the first one out and played through the first 9 holes in probably an hour and 15 minutes. But by the time I got back to the first hole to play my second 9 , there were a few groups ahead of me. The foursome directly in front had fallen off pace and had a pretty sizeable gap in front of them. When they kindly offered to let me play through, I skipped the hole instead. After that, the pace was OK. So the 3 1/2 hours (or whatever it was) took a bit longer than usual for how few people were out there. By the time I finished my 17 holes, the course was really filling up and the round would have taken 4 to 4 1/2 hours. So yeah, it could have been worse.

I didn't mean to b*tch about others or slow play in general. I just don't have a lot of spare time on the weekends. I'm not sure I could play this game if every round exceeded 4 hours.

I have been on a tear lately, butttttttt, not today. Worst day ever. On a par 61, shot an 86. Well over bogey golf. Hit some good shots, and some real stinkers. Oh well, such is golf. More fun later this week.

I should explain... I was the first one out and played through the first 9 holes in probably an hour and 15 minutes. But by the time I got back to the first hole to play my second 9 , there were a few groups ahead of me. The foursome directly in front had fallen off pace and had a pretty sizeable gap in front of them. When they kindly offered to let me play through, I skipped the hole instead. After that, the pace was OK. So the 3 1/2 hours (or whatever it was) took a bit longer than usual for how few people were out there. By the time I finished my 17 holes, the course was really filling up and the round would have taken 4 to 4 1/2 hours. So yeah, it could have been worse.

I didn't mean to b*tch about others or slow play in general. I just don't have a lot of spare time on the weekends. I'm not sure I could play this game if every round exceeded 4 hours.
Feel free to b***h about anything you want. We're here to help.

I have been on a tear lately, butttttttt, not today. Worst day ever. On a par 61, shot an 86. Well over bogey golf. Hit some good shots, and some real stinkers. Oh well, such is golf. More fun later this week.
We've all been there. Some of us more than a few times. Not me, of course.:oops:

43/48 on the same course I shot a 92 on last week. PB at this course. Left a few shots out there, but am very pleased at the game right now. Had the new-to-me putter tweaked at GG yesterday to hopefully start sinking a few more.
Congrats on the PB!!!! :friends:

47 on the front 9. I think i'm getting better at this.
Admittedly this includes a (late? second?) breakfast ball on the first. I wanted to hit the range first, but it was crawling with some class for new kids that i didn't want to disturb:p

Made a par on the 193m par3 for the first time. Didn't quite get my 4i up on the green, but it was close enough to putt :)
Good lord, pros really bonk those balls hard to hit into 200y+ par3s.

47 again! Felt a lot easier today, kinda confused to have come out on the same number lol.
Finished in style with an 8, losing the ball that had accompanied me through the previous 8 holes to a nice little pull hook into the woods left, OOB. After getting into and out of trouble from the tee.

The bad part of hitting greens is that you suddenly have much longer putts. 2 3 putts in there, and i'd say i got lucky making 2 others relatively long coming back

Last edited:
After a pretty good run late last year and early this year when I had four of seven rounds under 100 I’ve really been struggling. I haven’t come close to double digits since February. The struggles coincide with both a change in clubs (new driver, irons, and hybrid), as well as some changes my instructor is trying to have me institute.

I’ve been practicing frequently at the range and doing “no ball” drills (focusing on closing the face, following through, keeping my left arm extended, and making an in to out move) he prescribed frequently. My problem has been that I feel like I can do what he’s asking without a ball in front of me. When I try to hit a ball, though, I just can’t make contact. Even when I do, my distances have been way short.

Today I hit the range and decided to just focus on a couple of those things. I arbitrarily chose to work on keeping my left arm straight and following through. I had some of my best results ever!

My contact was much more consistent, my slice was greatly reduced, and my distances were better than ever. It’s always a day to day proposition for us struggling golfers, but today was very encouraging. My next round will be Wednesday, and I can’t wait to see how it goes. It’s on a course I’ve never played with quite a few dogleg left holes (which are my nemesis), so I doubt I break the barrier. Hopefully I can get closer than I have been lately though.

I've been busy lately. Haven't had enough time to golf. I finally got out there this morning. Haven't swung a club in a few weeks. Didn't warm up before the round. But it wasn't as bad as I expected. I hit it right down the middle on the first hole. Knowing I wasn't warmed up I took it easy on the swing just trying to keep it in play. Still went over 200 yards.

The rest of the round was pretty much like its been lately. A decent 96. Missed some putts I shoulda made. Shanked a few shots from the fairway. Skulled a couple chips. Also made some good shots. Driver overall was ok but not as good as usual. Hit 7 fairways. A couple misses weren't too far off. Did hit a nice 6 iron on a 165 yard par 3 for my first birdie in a months. Made a 12 foot putt for that one.

Lol, after skulling a sand shot a while back and leading to a bad breakdown hole, I've been spending more time in the practice bunker when I was practicing a few weeks ago. Of course I had no sand shots today after feeling like I was ready for them.

I gotta get out there and play Monday. The weather's taking a turn for the worse at the end of the week. I don't know how accurate they can be this far out, but they're saying it will be 113 on Friday. Now we don't have the humidity of the midwest and southern states. But we aren't dry desert humidity either in the San Joaquin Valley. 113 is extremely hot. I'm 65 years old and I can count on one hand how many times it got that hot.

Poor play continues. 43 on my local par 29 9-hole course. I am beginning to believe the left heel pain is affecting my game more than I thought it was. Everything just feels “off” but I can’t really point to anything specific.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, the driver that I was smoking has decided that it has had enough and has reverted to it's usual cantankerous self. when I was hitting it very well, I had no idea why. Now, I have no idea how to get back that which I didn't know what it was I had. LOL!!

Anyhoo, last three rounds were 91,92, 98, so I'm not griping too much. I'm still feeling pretty confident I'll be visiting the 80's this year, and my goal of averaging 95 is happening right now. My 98 was from a couple of really dumb mental errors. Played nine yesterday, and was sitting at 41 going in to the ninth hole, where a sweet, sweet 9 dropped from 2 wayward drives into Doomville.

The good aspect is I'm getting a better handle on my SW for short chips. I was using the GW exclusively, but couldn't control the roll out very well. The SW yesterday was helping that a good bit. Seems all I need to do is choke down to the end of the grip, and lay the face open some. Have to see if that works with the GW as well. I'll be experimenting with that this week after work.

Nicely done Hammy, keep it going and you will see those average scores start to drop
Once you break a barrier once, it then becomes a bit less of a mental issue as you know you can do it, you just have to keep taking the positives from each round

Playing 18 holes in a couple of hours, that is the good news. The bad news is the temp, it is suppose to be 98°F. Oh well, I hope to at least get 9 good holes in before the temp ruins me.

Nicely done Hammy, keep it going and you will see those average scores start to drop
Once you break a barrier once, it then becomes a bit less of a mental issue as you know you can do it, you just have to keep taking the positives from each round
Doc, I'm feeling pretty good about the game right now. The unnatural success I was having with the driver was certainly the biggest influence on the low scores of the last few rounds. I need to get that back, as it sets me up so well for the next shot. I had a couple of good drives on Sunday, one set me up for a birdie, the other would have set me up for a nice shot to the green, had it not settled just enough behind a bush to snooker me. (2 feet to the right was wide open.)

Saturday's round is going to be at a tough course, so we'll see how the game holds up under that pressure.

Playing 18 holes in a couple of hours, that is the good news. The bad news is the temp, it is suppose to be 98°F. Oh well, I hope to at least get 9 good holes in before the temp ruins me.

Eeek.

Wow, a crappy 49 on the front 9, and then a 43 on the back 9 for a 92. Pretty good for a bad start.
Oh, I hit a 30 foot putt!!!! Was I amazed, you bet.

Last edited:
Wow, a crappy 49 on the front 9, and then a 43 on the back 9 for a 92. Pretty good for a bad start.
Oh, I hit a 30 foot putt!!!! Was I amazed, you bet.
Even though it was a 49, were you hitting it well, just not scoring? I find I do that a lot.

Even though it was a 49, were you hitting it well, just not scoring? I find I do that a lot.

I find when I hit it well and don't score well, short game is usually to blame. I hit a GIR, but 3-putt. Or I hit two good shots to get up around the green, but take 4 to get down. That's what I think is keeping me from breaking my next scoring barrier: not getting up and down enough.

Back