Trying to Break 100

The IS the B100 Bible! A gut-busting read (or listen)!

a2422f33d583370f3c4f40a382132256.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Will have to give this one a listen (y):golf:

The IS the B100 Bible! A gut-busting read (or listen)!

a2422f33d583370f3c4f40a382132256.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely need to put this on the listen list!

Breaking 100 that first time feels so sweet! Just wait until you break 90 for the first time!!! Now, I’m in hunt for breaking 80.

Good luck
Congrats!!!! Well done and hope you can succeed.

Played 9 last night at my home course and shot a 48 - not too bad. No zig zag golf so that was good. Had one blow up hole - par 3 over water. Went in the drink and ended up with a triple. Distance control on chipping was a bit lacking with some short and some over resulting in missing greens where I should have been on. Putting wasn't as good as usual, but the greens were just aerated so the ball was bouncing around a bit so more putts are to be expected. Playing 18 this afternoon, playing 9 tomorrow and expect to also get out on Saturday and Sunday. Lots of golf this weekend. :)

Hows this for an opening tee shot

4CB48CEE-FC6F-4999-B58D-1223025BC96E.jpeg

Hows this for an opening tee shot

How long is the hole? Can you carry the trees on the right?

Looks like a nice way to start the round

How long is the hole? Can you carry the trees on the right?

Looks like a nice way to start the round
I missed right but carried them. Prob 180-200 y carry.

I missed right but carried them. Prob 180-200 y carry.

I am going straight over that corner then, and depending on how long the hole is will determine which club I am pulling - anything from driver to 4i at a guess

"No, Dougal - let's try again. These trees are small...those trees are far away. Small...far away. Is that better?"

"No, I'm terribly confused Ted"

(y)

Just returned from playing 18. I contemplated keeping score but after the first few holes decided against it. I doubt I broke 100 today. There was a lot of good and bad mixed in.

I hit 6 or 7 greens in regulation - which is high for me - and didn't have any penalties. While those two things are normally a recipe for a stellar round, the bad holes were terrible and there were a few 3 putts on the GIRs.

I just don't get it... I mean I get that I suck, but when I see how low 90's, high 80's golfer play, there doesn't see much of a difference between their game and mine. How are they getting around the errant tee shots, duffed punch-outs, coming out short on approaches, and still shooting the scores they shoot?

Maybe I should re-think the opinion that my course management is ok.

Just returned from playing 18. I contemplated keeping score but after the first few holes decided against it. I doubt I broke 100 today. There was a lot of good and bad mixed in.

I hit 6 or 7 greens in regulation - which is high for me - and didn't have any penalties. While those two things are normally a recipe for a stellar round, the bad holes were terrible and there were a few 3 putts on the GIRs.

I just don't get it... I mean I get that I suck, but when I see how low 90's, high 80's golfer play, there doesn't see much of a difference between their game and mine. How are they getting around the errant tee shots, duffed punch-outs, coming out short on approaches, and still shooting the scores they shoot?

Maybe I should re-think the opinion that my course management is ok.
Could it be short game and putting?

A few more pics223D4898-93F5-4D63-B282-A3B1385FAA17.jpeg

43A18121-3ECE-4092-AA4C-AB8B9567F46D.jpeg

167BE9A8-F09B-4100-AA3D-F44F654D8679.jpeg

Could it be short game and putting?

Yes... in part. Today the short game and putting hurt as well as poor decisions/execution of trouble shots. Historically, those two things (putting, short game) are not strengths when compared to other golfers with similar full swing skills.

But even when that part of my game is on, bogey golf is impossible. One or more parts of my game fail just enough. I'll even approach every hole with the mindset that 1-over is a success. The thought process for the last several years has been:

1) keep the ball inside the ropes (reduce penalties)
2) advance the ball as far as is reasonably possible with each shot
3) Get the ball on or very near the green on approach shots
4) occasionally I'll get lucky and par or birdie a hole

But when I start a round by turning 3 easy bogeys into doubles, and knowing there will be at least one blowup hole per 9, it becomes a bit discouraging.

I don't know... sorry for the negativity. Hitting greens was fun today. It's not that way every week so I need to appreciate when it happens and stop worrying what everyone else does.

But when I start a round by turning 3 easy bogeys into doubles, and knowing there will be at least one blowup hole per 9, it becomes a bit discouraging.

I don't know... sorry for the negativity. Hitting greens was fun today. It's not that way every week so I need to appreciate when it happens and stop worrying what everyone else does.

Venting is healthy, and the B100 crowd is here for that purpose.

I tasted a few under 100 rounds but there will always be the return to average rounds to give a dose of reality. A key for me is to start Identifying and logging what I did wrong then work on that. Was my back tight before the round....yep, so daily stretches. What was a strength (short game) suddenly became a liability b/c I let a very bad habit take over. So I try to keep my head focused in that situation. Another really hard thing for me is playing with people I don't know. especially if I know they are really good. Again that is a mental issue.

Learning to accept the bad shot/hole/situation and start fresh on each tee box is what I'm trying to work on. There will always be another golf shot to take, so the pressure to preform is only in our minds. The score will come if you're practicing with purpose.

In the words of @Grins , there are no bad shots, there are no good shots. There’s just the next shot.

Zen and the Art of Golfing
Very wise, that Grins. How have you been?

A key for me is to start Identifying and logging what I did wrong then work on that. Was my back tight before the round....yep, so daily stretches. What was a strength (short game) suddenly became a liability b/c I let a very bad habit take over. So I try to keep my head focused in that situation. Another really hard thing for me is playing with people I don't know. especially if I know they are really good. Again that is a mental issue.

It sounds like you have a good approach towards improving. I had been there for several years and have backed off just this year. Tracking your stats removes a lot of the subjectivity and ego.

One thing to remember, stats are not always the whole story. As mentioned in some other topics, putting stats can be very deceiving and may be a symptom of a weakness another area of our game. A high putts-per-hole number might be an indication of a poor short game. Of course, if we're missing 2 footers, or never getting close on lag putts, it's easy to see that as an area that needs to be worked on.

More than anything else, I want to get to the point of just accepting the reality. I've been at this for some time now. It's unrealistic to think something will change and suddenly open up the floodgates to really good golf. I have to learn to enjoy what I have. For me, there has to be a balance between trying to improve and having fun. I've spent far too many years taking the former too serious. Guess old habits die slowly.

I had colon surgery a few weeks ago. Doc told me to hold off on the golf until our follow up visit. I've officially got the green light to play. I'll probably shoot 120 but it will be the best feeling 120 of my life. Can't wait for the weekend!!!!!

Back