Trying to Break 100

Man, I was hitting super solid on Saturday, and overshot my dialed in distances by a good 20 yards almost every time. My wife also. I am told hot weather with humidity makes the ball travel further but 20 yards further?
Shot a 37, but would have been way better if I wasn't hitting the ball over the green. :golf2:

Man, I was hitting super solid on Saturday, and overshot my dialed in distances by a good 20 yards almost every time. My wife also. I am told hot weather with humidity makes the ball travel further but 20 yards further?
Shot a 37, but would have been way better if I wasn't hitting the ball over the green. :golf2:
You on the ‘roids?

There is definitely an increase in distance in warmer weather

I played in the Caribbean a number of years ago and had 2 instances where the ball went a LOT further than I expected
First was a slightly downhill 155yd par 3, where normally at home I would have hit an 8i at the time based on my distances, but I took a 9i as long was into bushes, and promptly flew the green, so stuck another ball down, hit PW and only just landed on the back of the green
Second instance was a par 5 and the second shot was blind over a crest - the caddy said I had around 225yds to the front of the green, so I pulled a 5i just trying to lay up, hit the shot on the line he gave me and when we got over the crest of the rise, my ball was sat on the front fringe

29 putts and they weren't all easy either. I use a bastardized version of Aimpoint Express that I figured out by watching others who use it.
4 par saves
7 pars
My short game was on. I was hitting difficult shots and making them work. I pitch. I don't chip.
And still shot 97. Too many triple bogeys.

29 putts and they weren't all easy either. I use a bastardized version of Aimpoint Express that I figured out by watching others who use it.
4 par saves
7 pars
My short game was on. I was hitting difficult shots and making them work. I pitch. I don't chip.
And still shot 97. Too many triple bogeys.

Sounds like my last round. Five pars and two birdies (both personal highs), and shot a 94 thanks to two triples, a quad, and a quint

Finally had a good day by my standards. No, I didn't break 90. But I shot a solid 93. Best round in a while for me. 48 on the front. 45 on the back. What made it nice was the driver. I was on fire with it. It wasn't as accurate as the 12 of 14 fairways I hit a couple years ago. But back then I was swinging different and most drives weren't much over 200.

Now I'm just about as accurate but longer. Several were easily over 250 today. I hit 9 of 14 fairways. Ever since I adjusted my Cobra driver to 12 degrees I'm hitting longer and still straight. Pretty happy with the driver today. The misses weren't that bad. None left me needing to chip back to the fairway. Pretty much had a look at the green all day.

What did me in was the hybrids. The first 3 were push slices well off the fairway. I tried harder not to hit right and the next two were dead pulls to the left. On the last par 5 I said heck with it. I hit a nice drive and was about 250 to the green. I didn't want to risk the hybrid and even if I hit it right it would end up leaving me a dreaded in between shot with the wedge. So I hit 8 iron and 9 iron. Ended up with a birdie putt and two putt par. Might have to think about that from now on.

Pretty satisfying round today. Only one triple bogey on a hole I found water. Just not enough pars to offset the doubles. Bogey golf has always been my goal. Still not there yet. But days like today give me something to look forward to.

I am playing a par 72, 18 hole course tomorrow, so the artificially low scores will come back to reality.

I am playing a par 72, 18 hole course tomorrow, so the artificially low scores will come back to reality.
Shot a 92 today which on the surface is good, but my woods were terrible until I changed my swing back to my old swing, then things picked up. If it was not for my bump and run from the fringe, I would not have scored so low. Only 3 pars, 3 doubles, 1 triple :eek:, and the rest bogie did the trick. No snowmen to freeze my score, so that is good. Playing this course again on Monday, so we shall see.

Been the hottest summer I can remember this year. When I was young I used to go out on hot days. Now I limit myself to mornings to beat the heat. Been spending more time at the range than the course lately. I just have to be careful not to get too caught up at the range because the course doesn't have good lies on every shot. I spend a lot of time on the short game there now.

Ever since I changed the loft to 12 degrees my driving has gotten much better. That last round I played it was the best driving day I've had. Wasn't the most accurate but it was good nonetheless. I was hitting at least ten yards further on every shot. And still well over 50 percent accuracy. The range is helping me figure out the correct swing speed. Slower causes it to go left. Harder causes it to right. If I can concentrate on not thinking slow or fast, just what feels natural for me, it usually goes straight.

18 Hole competition at my club today.
Shot 99 (stableford scoring, counting 3 dnf at the 0pt limit), coming in tied 1st place in my handicap class (20+)

back office entered my 5 at the last hole as a 9, so it's officially 102 and third place until (if!) they fix it. :rolleyes: club president told me the scorecards would undergo a regular review anyway, so i'm holding my horses for today.
Update: they fixed it, and i'm first rather than just tied for first through some handicap scoring calculation shenanigans. other guy came in with 100 "strokes".

my miss switches between push and hook. The hook part in particular is not very cool with wind, but today it only really cost me on one hole.
And i shanked one into the trees on my favorite hole. O well.

Last edited:
Sunday last week was 100 on the nose, 3 under net par so handicap came down a bit. 24.3 now.

Thursday twilight 9, felt confident. We started on 18, not a bad par 5 but one I prefer not to be cold on, good drive, but then topped two and ended up with 8. Finally some good bogeys on 10 & 11.

Suddenly a hole in one was being a possibility on 12, it was a low 6i (147yds) but it hit the front of the green and rolled straight. My partners were cheerings, I stood in shock. Alas, the golf gods did not give, but it stopped 8" in front of the hole. Easy birdie at least. :)

When we got to the last two holes (16 & 17) I had an excellent shot of a 47 on the back 9 (My handicap and the slope give me 15 strokes here) so would be 4 under net. Alas, landing in a mud bath and I couldn't get out easily, blew up 16.

17, our last hole. My ego came unchecked here, my drives had hit the fairway 6/6 on the previous, but here if you slice or push, you're in the creek snake hunting. I had planned to 7W here, but the driver came out as it had been good so far. Well, we all know what was to happen. Rustle of leaves and a splash as I sliced it well. Penalty, topping and then a fat shot meant I came in +1 net.

Hopefully some lessons here. This one was skins and I tied three holes 1st, so some consolation and a small $ heading my way at least.

I'm not good enough to use my ego! :cool:

I played at a course in the Bronx today which I had not been to in over 2 years. After a few weeks of scoring in the mid nineties I shot a 103 today.

I'm partially blaming the score on the dozens of mosquitoes that seemed to have infested every tee box :p. Basically you had to rush your shot otherwise you were getting chewed on if you stood still for more than 5 seconds. That's even with bug spray! After I got home I found 2 bites on face, 2 on legs, and 1 on chest (through the shirt!).

Shot a 48 / 55. 5/14 fairways hit, 3/18 GIR, and 40 putts. Biggest issue was my driver -- for some reason I swapped to my backup driver for today (Honma XP-1) -- which kept going to the right, either OB or in some instances kicked back in. Not a slice just straight right. My playing partner said I had an inside out swing the whole time, which is somewhat my normal path, but I didn't keep the face slightly closed to the degree I usually did.

Hybrids were also kind of problematic today. So a lack of confidence in both driver and hybrid caused some consternation and frustration which affected my recently reliable putting. 3 putted a few times more than I liked. And in addition, due to the issues off the tee, I was mostly falling short / inaccurate on the long approaches and had to chip/pitch on.

The good: Mid and short irons. Pitching and chipping. And holed 2 long-ish putts (10-15 ft).

Thought maybe I'd graduate to "Trying to Break 90" thread soon but looks like this forum is still my home :giggle:

Last edited:
I have no words to describe how badly my full swing is right now. The course became crowded by the time I played the first 9 so I decided to come home and do anything besides lose golf balls. Mowing the lawn will be much more enjoyable.

I'm in the middle of lessons and have been working hard on the changes all week. Since they have not yielded positive results during practices - which I expected - it stands to reason that would carry over onto the course. But man, it was still hard to endure.

I played at a course in the Bronx today which I had not been to in over 2 years.
Was that Van Cortlandt Park? I left the Bronx in the ‘80’s, before I started playing golf. That is the only course I know of there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just wrapped up 18 on a fairly tough course and I shot a personal best 92. I had a double on the first hole, a par on the second, and bogeys the rest of the front nine.

The back nine was four doubles, three bogeys, and two pars. It’s the first time I’ve ever had nothing worse than a double.

I laid off driver again until I got to 16. There was plenty of room on the right, so I figured it was a safe play. I was wrong. I topped one into the tall grass right in front of me for my only penalty of the day.

Putting was hit or miss. I had six three putts, including four straight three putt bogeys on the front nine. I missed a couple of three footers for par.

My last three rounds have been 100, 94, and today’s 92. Keeping the woods out of my hands seems to be working, and my new(ish) irons are working fantastically. My game is in a better spot than it’s ever been…I just gotta try to keep the train rolling.

Was that Van Cortlandt Park? I left the Bronx in the ‘80’s, before I started playing golf. That is the only course I know of there.

I played at Split Rock -- on the east side of Bronx near Westchester.

Van Cortland is very cool. I wouldn't call it nice but there's just so much history (Babe Ruth had a locker there!) and you can almost feel the thrum of the city as you walk through it.

I played at Split Rock -- on the east side of Bronx near Westchester.

Van Cortland is very cool. I wouldn't call it nice but there's just so much history (Babe Ruth had a locker there!) and you can almost feel the thrum of the city as you walk through it.

I had no idea anything like that existed. I’ll definitely have to play a round next time I’m in NYC, which can’t possibly be soon enough.

I had no idea anything like that existed. I’ll definitely have to play a round next time I’m in NYC, which can’t possibly be soon enough.

You definitely should 😀 -- if only for the novelty -- as it was the country's first public golf course. Just don't expect a luxurious experience, the last time I visited (just before covid) the first tee box was literally a driving range mat.

And while in the clubhouse take a peek at the locker room. They filmed the locker scene in the movie "Wall Street" with Michael Douglas and Charlie Sheen there.

Last two rounds were 93 on a country club course I was playing as a guest of one of my company's VPs, and a 94 on my usual course . (It's a bit on the "inexpensive and shows it" side, but, even though the grass is shaggy, it's a good layout. Lots of water, trees, and hills/valleys.) I'm mostly keeping the driver in play, or at least close to the FW, but the chipping game has been on high heat. Buddy said "That's good." when my 50 yard shot ended up about 6 inches from the hole. Nice feeling. I'm starting to get the SW grooved for anything inside about 40 yards. Obviously, it's nothing super consistent, but it's going well right now.

I also bought a 5-wood off the classifieds here, to fill the spot where my brothers Cobra was sitting. I hit it, and while it's a fine club in it's own right, it just wasn't giving me the right feel. (A Cally RazrFit, 17 degree.)

So, I gave my brother back his Cobra FlyZ, one Saturday, planning to use the Cally come hell or high water, and for grins, went in to see what GG had in the Olde Used Rack. Son of a.....the same club I just gave back to my brother, which I was smoklng when I hit it. Well, almost the same. The shaft is more 3W length than 5W. Well, I bag it for the Wednesday round (at the CC), pull it for the first time, and just rip it as a high lofted 3 wood. Hit it well the whole round. Well, well.

Yesterday, I didn't hit it as well, but, I did manage to hit it well enough to keep it in the bag. Now the big debate: the Cobra 5-7 I was borrowing from my brother was a money club for me. The Cobra 5-7 head I have now is on, as noted, a longer shaft. (It's also a different brand of shaft than my brothers.) Do I get it cut down/switch the shaft? (His was much more consistent for me.) Should I keep playing it at the 3W length, and choke down to 5W length so it can "cover" two spots in the bag?? (Would cover longer distance, but sacrifice consistency.) Would keeping it as a "tweener" club be worse than keeping it as one club performance-wise?

So many questions.

Thought maybe I'd graduate to "Trying to Break 90" thread soon but looks like this forum is still my home :giggle:

Sometime late last year I thought the same. I had about 3 months where I was steady in the 91-95 range. I figured it was just a matter of time. Then all of a sudden I shot a 101. I thought maybe it was just one of those days. Until a couple weeks ago I couldn't break 95. I was consistently in the upper 90's with an occasional triple digit score.

The thing is, I can't pinpoint one thing to be the problem. Its a mixed bag of mistakes. One hole I skull a chip into trouble after having some good chips leading up to that. Another hole I three putt after putting pretty good before that. Or a missed drive puts me in a bad spot after hitting numerous good drives. I hit a drive that would be good on most holes but the one particular hole its not.

Shot my personal best today with an 87! The front 9 I shot a 39 with two birdies. The back 9, not so good with a 48. My driver was on fire today and my putting was better than usual, but my go to, bump and run, was dump and dumb. Not dependable today at all with the sticky kikuyu grass grabbing ahold of my club and only letting the ball go 10 yards.

Shot my personal best today with an 87! The front 9 I shot a 39 with two birdies. The back 9, not so good with a 48. My driver was on fire today and my putting was better than usual, but my go to, bump and run, was dump and dumb. Not dependable today at all with the sticky kikuyu grass grabbing ahold of my club and only letting the ball go 10 yards.
Right on!!

Back