Trying to Break 100

So if the majority of my misses are closer to the toe does that mean I'm a little too far from the ball? I noticed if I'm too close I can hit the sweet spot more often but it tends to pull left. It can be hard to find that happy medium when it comes to alignment.
Not necessarily but is a good place to start. Generally a left pull is from the clubhead getting ahead of the hands, (that is my miss about twice a round) You could change your stance by one ball width and have a totally different outcome. If the toe is keeping you in play, play it.

Played 10 holes at Georgetown CC (started to rain, so we stopped) and did not enjoy that course. The fairways were very narrow and the greens were like concrete. Played Teravista today, and fell in love with this course. I think this will be our Georgetown TX golf course. Oh, shot a 93 my first time playing there which isn't bad. Also took about a month off while we were moving, so that didn't help.

Yesterday I played for the first time since Halloween. A move has kept me off the course, and it was a perfect day to get back out there. I started off with a par on #1. Two more pars on the front had me sitting at 47 after nine holes. The back nine of this course is tougher than the front, and bit me pretty good (as it usually does). I had three bogeys on the back...everything else was double or worse. A 10 on #12 and a snowman on #15 killed any chance I had of breaking 100. I ended up 47/56 for a 103.

It was one of those rounds that felt good despite not scoring as well as I would have liked. I was striking the ball well, which always makes it more fun. Unfortunately I kept finding bunkers, which were in terrible shape. All in all it was a fun round that went better than I expected it to after not touching a club in over a month.

I played a round today and, instead of my normal 114 or something around there, it was a 99. First time I've ever shot double digits in golf. I think it was awesome. My son who was playing with me and shot a 126, not so much.:LOL: He's a beginner though and only started playing this year with any seriousness.

I played a round today and, instead of my normal 114 or something around there, it was a 99. First time I've ever shot double digits in golf. I think it was awesome. My son who was playing with me and shot a 126, not so much.:LOL: He's a beginner though and only started playing this year with any seriousness.
Congrats! You cracked the seal, now they'll start coming more often!

Congrats 🤝! That must have felt good. Did you have a feeling at any point during the round you might be on the right track?

Apparently playing on new to me golf courses and 2 months off due to a move is detrimental to my scores. I shot a 100 even last week, but I am getting back to hitting some good shots. The previous round was too embarrassing to post.

Nice job! Now that you’ve tasted it, you’ll get more of them. Don’t get discouraged if you still dip above the century mark though. You know you can do it now and that’s half the battle (just believing in yourself).

Congrats 🤝! That must have felt good. Did you have a feeling at any point during the round you might be on the right track?
Yes there was. We had just made the turn my son and I, and I was tallying our scores. Instead of the normal 7, 7, 7, 5, 6, I saw 4, 4, 5, 6... and then I saw I'd shot a 49.:oops: I said to my self "I'm gonna break 100 today.":D Then on #10 I proceeded to shoot an 8.:ROFLMAO:

I will freely admit that I did use a little bit of Hamfist scoring with #16.:rolleyes: I didn't know the layout of the hole and hit my tee shot. Then my second shot wasn't too awful bad. It was my 3rd that went to crap... 165 yards across water. I didn't make it.:cry: My 5th shot was just dropped by the green. <-- that's Hamfist golf I believe:ROFLMAO: and my 6th shot went in! Almost a legit 6 but it was legit enough for me!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I'm not counting score for a handicap or anything and I'm not in any competition so the only person affected is me and I'm happy with the score and play.:)

I played bogey golf 80 on a par 62 course today. And if not for two meltdown holes of 7 strokes each it was a pretty good day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Played a major venue this weekend (TPC Harding) and shot 104 - it felt brutal, even from the forward tees.

In the last 2 months, I've had more 100+ rounds than not as I've started playing from the middle tees at my home course. It's really interesting how new hazards come into play moving back a tee box - off the tee as well as from approaches getting a longer. I have shot a couple of rounds in the 90s from here so the mental barrier is broken but I'm not consistently breaking 100 from the blues yet. Did anyone else go through this transition of consistent 90s from a certain tee box and then going through the same process of breaking 100 regularly when you moved back one?

Played a major venue this weekend (TPC Harding) and shot 104 - it felt brutal, even from the forward tees.

In the last 2 months, I've had more 100+ rounds than not as I've started playing from the middle tees at my home course. It's really interesting how new hazards come into play moving back a tee box - off the tee as well as from approaches getting a longer. I have shot a couple of rounds in the 90s from here so the mental barrier is broken but I'm not consistently breaking 100 from the blues yet. Did anyone else go through this transition of consistent 90s from a certain tee box and then going through the same process of breaking 100 regularly when you moved back one?

This is definitely an interesting question.

I normally play from the White tees. There have been a handful of times when I’ve moved around — to the back tees when my friends had goaded me into it, and then to the forward tees when playing with my dad.

I don’t really notice a ton of difference in scores. I think I scored on average 2-3 strokes higher on the back tees, but moving up a tee actually didn’t improve my score as much as I thought. Maybe 1-2 strokes.

Like you, I did notice some new hazards coming into play. For instance, moving up a tee I needed to use my hybrid or wood rather than the driver on a handful of holes. Do I hit those clubs more consistently than my driver? Not really. I found myself playing from troubled lies just as often. On Par 3’s, instead of hitting hybrid I’m now hitting the 6i or 7i, but again I didn’t notice that much better results.

Similarly moving back a tee back, maybe instead of going for the green on those Par 3’s, I’m now laying up with a short pitch. The latter sometimes worked out better than the former, actually.

I think overall I’m talking 2-3 strokes of difference for me. Then again, I’m a high handicapper so I don’t have the consistency to say that this club is head and shoulders better than using the other club :ROFLMAO:

I haven’t been around here a ton lately, but I sure enjoy catching up on this thread when I get here.

I played last Friday in ridiculous (40ish mph) wind. One bad hole on each nine killed me. On the front I pushed my tee shot on a par three and ended up needing a short pitch over a bunker. I pitched it just to the top of the hill, then watched it trickle right back down into the bunker. I was too lazy to walk back to the cart for my sand wedge, so it took four hacks with my gap to get out of the sand. I ended up with an 8 on that hole and an even fifty on the front.

Twelve on this course is one that always eats my lunch, and that day was no exception. It’s a 320ish yard par four with a forced layup off the tee. Hitting it 180 from the box sets you up perfectly. Normally that would be a 5 iron for me, but it was dead into the wind. I hit driver, but topped it and left myself 200 yards, still straight into the wind. I laid up and left myself 115 to the flag. I sliced my third shot into the trees…hitting 5 now. Chunked a nine iron into the water…hitting 7. I struck that one well and got across…barely. A well struck nine iron into that wind didn’t even go 100 yards (the hole was in the back). Four putts later I wrote down an 11 and knew my round was shot.

That drive on 12 was my only bad one of the day. I screwed around on the range (which also faced straight into the wind) with trying to keep it low with driver. I was teeing it low, choking down, and stinging it like an iron. That was working great for me, and I didn’t really see any distance loss. I think I was just squaring it up better than usual, so I’ll probably continue to work on that and see how things go.

On a more long term note, my goals for 2021 were to have more rounds below 100 than above it and to break 90 at least once. I didn’t achieve either of those.

I only played 13 rounds this year and broke 100 three times. The good side of that is that I was only above 110 once. I also shot a PB 92 (so close).

My goals for 2022 will remain the same, but I don’t have a ton of confidence I’ll get there. I’ve determined that playing when I feel like it and being just above 100 is more fun than spending a bunch of money on lessons, spending a bunch of time at the range, and MAYBE getting below 100 consistently. I may visit the instructor to sort out a thing here or there, but I’ve gotten comfortable with the fact that I’m never going to be very good at this game. I’m okay with that, and am having a lot more fun since coming to terms with it.

So I started out by losing a brand new sleeve of balls on the first hole. It didn’t get much better either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy New Year b100 guys and gals, hope everyone of you do it consistently in the new year.

Finally, after months of being in Texas, I shot under 100. It was a 99, but parts were encouraging like 2 pars (first pars in Texas), and 9 holes with only 2 putts. Had a chance for birdie twice, but came up short. My putting on the other 9 holes was not good, all 3 putts. One snowman, and one 7 kind of hosed my score, but I am hopeful. Putting was bad, which was a step up from the awful it was previously. Chipping was pretty good today which was surprising and my driver was about 80%, so next week should be better right?

Finally, after months of being in Texas, I shot under 100. It was a 99, but parts were encouraging like 2 pars (first pars in Texas), and 9 holes with only 2 putts. Had a chance for birdie twice, but came up short. My putting on the other 9 holes was not good, all 3 putts. One snowman, and one 7 kind of hosed my score, but I am hopeful. Putting was bad, which was a step up from the awful it was previously. Chipping was pretty good today which was surprising and my driver was about 80%, so next week should be better right?
That's the way to start your golfing year. Good job.

This thread hasn't been as busy lately. I haven't done much golfing for a couple months. Nothing to do with weather. Golf is year round here if you don't mind chilly overcast days or morning fog. Its been combination of other things getting in the way. Back issues, holidays, other commitments, etc.

So I finally went to the range a couple weeks ago. Swing was as expected. Not good. By the time I got to the second half of the bucket all I could do was hit punch shots. Actually wasn't that bad. Obviously shorter shots but hit more cleanly and straight.

So when I went golfing a few days ago I'm thinking until I get my swing fully back maybe I could just club up and try to keep it in the fairway. It wasn't really bad at all. Pretty much scored the same as before. A 97. If I was a little better with the short game it coulda easily been lower 90's.

Seems like the putting suffered more than anything from the time away. Had several 3 putts. Missed a few 5 footers too. I've been using lidocaine rub on my back and its been helping to a certain extent. Will be going back out tomorrow. We'll see if I can improve with the new swing style.

Played 18 today. Best I've played in a while. A very satisfying 91. I usually don't keep track of my score during a round. So when we tallied everything up I was surprised at the score. I was not chipping very well today. Had some really good ones. And some really bad ones. But the putting was really good today. No 3 putts. And numerous one putts. 29 total putts. Probably the best putt total in a long time. Or ever.

I went back to swing easy on everything and it really made a difference. Especially with the driver. Not one drive over 225. But hit 11 fairways. Heck, I'm 65 years old. Maybe I should use the senior tees. My playing partners said they don't know why I don't. I guess its a pride thing. But if I'm going to use that easier swing speed going forward, I just might use those gold tee boxes.

All in all, driving and putting was real solid today. The in between stuff was up and down. If I can improve my consistency there I might be in the breaking 90 thread before long. But the cool guys are in this thread. :cool:

Played 18 today. Best I've played in a while. A very satisfying 91. I usually don't keep track of my score during a round. So when we tallied everything up I was surprised at the score. I was not chipping very well today. Had some really good ones. And some really bad ones. But the putting was really good today. No 3 putts. And numerous one putts. 29 total putts. Probably the best putt total in a long time. Or ever.

I went back to swing easy on everything and it really made a difference. Especially with the driver. Not one drive over 225. But hit 11 fairways. Heck, I'm 65 years old. Maybe I should use the senior tees. My playing partners said they don't know why I don't. I guess its a pride thing. But if I'm going to use that easier swing speed going forward, I just might use those gold tee boxes.

All in all, driving and putting was real solid today. The in between stuff was up and down. If I can improve my consistency there I might be in the breaking 90 thread before long. But the cool guys are in this thread. :cool:
Awesome!!! Liking all of this post!!! 11 FIR is great and no 3 putts is excellent. Very well done.

Man, sometimes weather around here sucks. Especially the summers where most days are triple digits. But the weather lately has been great. In the 70's with no clouds or wind. I'm taking advantage. I'm heading out to play in a little bit. I have a tee time for Thursday also. My friend has another on Saturday. Sunday is Superbowl day and my team is in it again (Rams) so I'll be preparing a Superbowl party. But 3 rounds of golf in one week is a dream. Who cares how I score. I'm just gonna enjoy being out there. :D

Man, sometimes weather around here sucks. Especially the summers where most days are triple digits. But the weather lately has been great. In the 70's with no clouds or wind. I'm taking advantage. I'm heading out to play in a little bit. I have a tee time for Thursday also. My friend has another on Saturday. Sunday is Superbowl day and my team is in it again (Rams) so I'll be preparing a Superbowl party. But 3 rounds of golf in one week is a dream. Who cares how I score. I'm just gonna enjoy being out there. :D
Sounds like you will have a great time!!!!

Sounds like you will have a great time!!!!
We only played 9 today. Just got back. We're using the same score card on Thursday. We'll be playing the back 9. My score wasn't as good today. A 48. My biggest problem is lack of consistency with the irons and hybrids. Sometimes nice. Sometimes real bad. Most times its bad is because I hit too far behind the ball.

I've tried working it out at the range to no avail. I tried experimenting with the back swing. More or less shallow or steep. Tried different ball positions. It might work for a shot or two but it always reverts back to hitting too fat. Any ideas on why I can't fix that particular problem?

On the bright side the driver is still my best club. Missed two of 7 fairways with it. Both misses were barely off. Had good lies and no obstructions on either one. If I can only figure out the other clubs I know I could be an 80's golfer.

Sometimes real bad. Most times its bad is because I hit too far behind the ball.

I've tried working it out at the range to no avail. I tried experimenting with the back swing. More or less shallow or steep. Tried different ball positions. It might work for a shot or two but it always reverts back to hitting too fat. Any ideas on why I can't fix that particular problem?
This may seem like silly question but when you are addressing the ball and looking down, where or what are you looking at? By this I mean back of ball, front of ball, a spot behind the ball or in front of the ball?

This may seem like silly question but when you are addressing the ball and looking down, where or what are you looking at? By this I mean back of ball, front of ball, a spot behind the ball or in front of the ball?
Asking that question just jogged my memory. When I'm at the range if I pick a dimple on the back side of the ball and its usually better. I seem to forget that on the course. Out there I just look at the whole ball. There are so many things to remember I'm trying to keep it simple. I tend to forget to focus in on a specific aim point. The smaller the spot the better chance I have of hitting closer to it. Do you pick a spot on the ball to focus on? Or are you looking at the ball as a whole?

Back