Trying to Break 100

The two biggest things that helped me were learning to have a short memory and using gps. The gps is rough on the ego at first but once you get over the fact that you don’t hit it as far as you think it’s a game changer.

I finally invested in a GPS. I'm so glad I did. After leaching off my friends I had to play a round without one. ( the cart units both failed) . I was a complete wreck. Always unsure of what to hit. so I never hit anything. Even if I am still too inconsistent, the GPS really gives me confidence that I'm selecting the correct club. So I just have to focus on executing a swing.

While I am definitely looking forward to the “Kennel Club Invitational” with Lucy in a few weeks, I’m going to play nine holes tomorrow after hitting a few balls. The itch is too strong. Hopefully the weather cooperates...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hows this for an opening tee shot

View attachment 8908634
Pretty wide open, until you realize that slice is gonna put you into the jungle. Of course, you will aim to the left to be able to ride that fade onto the fairway, and immediately hit the straightest drive of your life right into the jungle across the cart path.

How long is the hole? Can you carry the trees on the right?

Looks like a nice way to start the round
You do realize what thread you're in right?

I finally invested in a GPS. I'm so glad I did. After leaching off my friends I had to play a round without one. ( the cart units both failed) . I was a complete wreck. Always unsure of what to hit. so I never hit anything. Even if I am still too inconsistent, the GPS really gives me confidence that I'm selecting the correct club. So I just have to focus on executing a swing.

Your driving should be improving soon too with your recent win. :cool: Congrats! I'm extremely envious. :)

Screen Shot 2019-09-20 at 1.47.25 PM.png

Not sure where the 43% scrambling came from, but that was unreal - or at least uncharacteristic. Other than a couple decent lag putts, putting wasn't as good as the stats indicate (I think I only converted one GIR to a par). Driver was on today and wasn't missing fairways by much. Irons weren't nearly as good as yesterday, but chipping to within one-putt distance is an underrated skill. Even though today was a lot of luck, the short game is something I need to concentrate on.

Just wanted to thank all who replied to my rant yesterday by offering support and advice. Tried to concentrate on the next shot, did not take any hero shots and kept the blowup holes to a minimum. Fun round.

Just returned from playing 18. I contemplated keeping score but after the first few holes decided against it. I doubt I broke 100 today. There was a lot of good and bad mixed in.

I hit 6 or 7 greens in regulation - which is high for me - and didn't have any penalties. While those two things are normally a recipe for a stellar round, the bad holes were terrible and there were a few 3 putts on the GIRs.

I just don't get it... I mean I get that I suck, but when I see how low 90's, high 80's golfer play, there doesn't see much of a difference between their game and mine. How are they getting around the errant tee shots, duffed punch-outs, coming out short on approaches, and still shooting the scores they shoot?

Maybe I should re-think the opinion that my course management is ok.
Well, in a nutshell: their errant tee shots are less errant. Their duffed punch outs are less duffed. Their....you get the picture. The big difference isn't all that big. Another five yards on your punchout gives you a real look at the green. Instead of the slightly behind the tree look you get now, which forces another recovery shot to get a a look in. Your tee shot that's in deep cabbage, heirs is in the "better" rough.

All in all, it's just a few shots that really ramp up the scores.

Yes... in part. Today the short game and putting hurt as well as poor decisions/execution of trouble shots. Historically, those two things (putting, short game) are not strengths when compared to other golfers with similar full swing skills.

But even when that part of my game is on, bogey golf is impossible. One or more parts of my game fail just enough. I'll even approach every hole with the mindset that 1-over is a success. The thought process for the last several years has been:

1) keep the ball inside the ropes (reduce penalties)
2) advance the ball as far as is reasonably possible with each shot
3) Get the ball on or very near the green on approach shots
4) occasionally I'll get lucky and par or birdie a hole

But when I start a round by turning 3 easy bogeys into doubles, and knowing there will be at least one blowup hole per 9, it becomes a bit discouraging.

I don't know... sorry for the negativity. Hitting greens was fun today. It's not that way every week so I need to appreciate when it happens and stop worrying what everyone else does.
You've vented, now give that negativity away! Review your game. where did you cost yourself strokes? Don't do that. One thing I would change in your plan is #2. Change that to "Advance the ball as far as I can using a club I am confident in." Second shotsa in the fairway are better than longer second shots in trouble.

I had colon surgery a few weeks ago. Doc told me to hold off on the golf until our follow up visit. I've officially got the green light to play. I'll probably shoot 120 but it will be the best feeling 120 of my life. Can't wait for the weekend!!!!!
Did they manage to save the gerbil?

This is my first year really putting in an effort to play as much as possible and get better. Now that the season is winding down, I can say that I’ve gotten better but I’m not very close to breaking 100. Any sub-100 players want to enlighten me on how long it took them to break 100?
Well, Cake, lemme tell you a story......it took me damn near 20 years to break the century mark. I'm 55, started playing when I was 23. I've still only broken it maybe a dozen times. And I don't care.I concern myself on my quality of shots that day. If the shots are there, the score will come. If I'm hitting well, and the scores don't come, I'm pleased as punch.

So, stop keeping score, free yourself from the pressure of a number, hit the ball well, and enjoy the round.

And booze.

Edit: Look up Golf Sidekick on YouTube. Adopt the "Way of the Playa".

And booze.

Your driving should be improving soon too with your recent win. :cool: Congrats! I'm extremely envious. :)
Yeah. I'm blown away that I won it!

When I see how low 90's, high 80's golfer play, there doesn't see much of a difference between their game and mine. How are they getting around the errant tee shots, duffed punch-outs, coming out short on approaches, and still shooting the scores they shoot?
100 vs 91 is 9 shots, or 0.5 shot per hole. That's the fine margins you are talking about. You would halve every other hole with those players. There ISN'T much difference between their game and yours. If they don't 3 putt, and you 3 putt say 4 times then we're down at 5 shots difference across the entire round. You'd hardly notice that. Don't sweat it, and concentrate on playing the smartest shots you can. It WILL come.?

Looking forward to playing on Sunday. My regular crew decided to stay home and watch the Dallas Cowboy game. :sick:

Not a Cowgirl fan....so golf it is. Really stoked to try out a new shaft for my driver. I have a Callaway Rogue with an Aldila shaft at 50 or 55g. My 3W is also a Rogue and I bought it pre-owned with a 75g HZRDUS Yellow shaft in it which I can hit really well off the deck. Gives me a nice low and straight trajectory. So, I am trying out a HZRDUS Yellow 65g shaft for my driver this weekend.

Big Liam in this video practices at the same range as me, and I've been in the bay alongside him a few times. It's like living next door to an artillery range.

Last edited:
Just watched a Golf Sidekick video and puts somethings into perspective for me. I think of 300 yards as the magic number to drive to, but according to Golf Sidekick 3 of 4 pro's do not hit that far. The average drive is 290 yards.

Also regarding putting, in the PGA 5 foot putts are sunk 80% of the time, but when you go to 8 foot putts, those are sunk only 50% of the time.

Just something interesting the next time out so I don't smack myself in the back of the head too many times for missing an 8 footer or am only driving the ball 230-250 yards. :ROFLMAO:

Grip it... and still leave him appropriately in the rear view with your 3W!

Wow were you right. My 3W was on fire. Too bad my chipping was lacking, damn katautu grass sucks. Scored a 110 which is not good, but I beat my buddy by a lot and boy did that 805 taste good. :ROFLMAO:

My average is another 100 behind you (though long I think is 205, but it’s been a hot minute since I’ve even hinted at that distance).
My longest was a freaky (for me) confluence of squaring up face, good launch and speed (again, for me) plus totally still conditions. My average is waaaaaay lower. ?

Last edited:
Tough out there on the course today......dry, warm and just a little wind to keep you nice and cool

Terrible front 9 with a couple double bogeys but turned it around on the back 9 to finish with a round of 78 (+6) including back to back birdies on the 16th and 17th holes

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
a1d86cdb3e0159a64fccdce0679c6aae.jpg
afd3bcc6936f792dc4a2433293953633.jpg
da5d745f38f39cca38a073bf2330eb11.jpg

I got to play 18 yesterday, 50/50: 100. Nice course with few tricks, but mainly open fairways and only few doglegs. Left my driver out of the bag to test out my month long effort in learning to hit my Cobra 5W. It paid of, I hit 13/14 fairways and lost only one ball. the course was empty and we finished in little over 3 hours. It turned out we had all-day ticket so we decided to play few holes on the second course (the club has two courses). I started with a birdie and two pars, I was on the roll. After nine holes I was at 45 and couldn't stop, I decided to play the back nine as well. My playing partner had to leave at the turn so I continued alone. I was getting really tired, this course was a lot more hilly and I had already played 27 holes. I shot 57 on the back nine, totalling 102. 5W was smoking, I hit all the fairways and didn't lose any balls. So two rounds, only one penalty and one lost ball. My handicap was lowered from 29.2 to 26.7.

Rained out for range and nine holes today! Tonight and tomorrow we’re supposed to get the remnants of the storm that flooded Houston. Hopefully next weekend...

Back