Trying to Break 100

I got to play 18 yesterday, 50/50: 100. Nice course with few tricks, but mainly open fairways and only few doglegs. Left my driver out of the bag to test out my month long effort in learning to hit my Cobra 5W. It paid of, I hit 13/14 fairways and lost only one ball. the course was empty and we finished in little over 3 hours. It turned out we had all-day ticket so we decided to play few holes on the second course (the club has two courses). I started with a birdie and two pars, I was on the roll. After nine holes I was at 45 and couldn't stop, I decided to play the back nine as well. My playing partner had to leave at the turn so I continued alone. I was getting really tired, this course was a lot more hilly and I had already played 27 holes. I shot 57 on the back nine, totalling 102. 5W was smoking, I hit all the fairways and didn't lose any balls. So two rounds, only one penalty and one lost ball. My handicap was lowered from 29.2 to 26.7.
The front 9 is always my best, with the back usually considerably worse. I walk every day at work and climb/descend 105 stairs (5 flights) and still falter after 9. Tried a snack of freshly cut apples after 9 and that seemed to help.:cool:

The front 9 is always my best, with the back usually considerably worse. I walk every day at work and climb/descend 105 stairs (5 flights) and still falter after 9. Tried a snack of freshly cut apples after 9 and that seemed to help.:cool:
I also take care of my water and calorie intake during round, but after 27 holes I was getting quite spent :)

Your driving should be improving soon too with your recent win. :cool: Congrats! I'm extremely envious. :)

And just like that we're all envious of you!:D :D

Congrats on the putter win

Tough out there on the course today......dry, warm and just a little wind to keep you nice and cool

Terrible front 9 with a couple double bogeys but turned it around on the back 9 to finish with a round of 78 (+6) including back to back birdies on the 16th and 17th holes

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

You're playing some awesome golf Doc.

Dave

You're playing some awesome golf Doc.

Dave
Cheers Dave

It seems like I have hit a decent run at the moment, just hoping it stays with me for another couple of weeks when I have the league individual final to play

Enjoying playing but I guess that is always going to happen when you are playing well

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Fellow TTB100-ers, How does the off season affect your golf game?
I am fortunate to live in a No Snow climate at the moment, but might move north and was wondering how that affects your play.

Rained out for range and nine holes today! Tonight and tomorrow we’re supposed to get the remnants of the storm that flooded Houston. Hopefully next weekend...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hopefully you will only get barely a remnant like we did in Dallas area. Drizzled for part of a day and some winds, but that was it for us.

Thinking about coming to Scottsdale in February for a few days with my wife. Plan to do some Vision54 work at Talking Stick, and possibly some other golf and site seeing. Any lodging, food, golf, etc recommendations from locals.

Played 9 yesterday and shot 50. Played OK. Played 9 again today and shot 46. Played well and my play around the greens and putting were both really solid. Worst holes were 1 triple and 2 doubles. No lost balls and no penalties with only two 3 putts. Playing 18 tomorrow.

I am fortunate to live in a No Snow climate at the moment, but might move north and was wondering how that affects your play.

If you care about your game at all don’t do it

Played 9 yesterday and shot 50. Played OK. Played 9 again today and shot 46. Played well and my play around the greens and putting were both really solid. Worst holes were 1 triple and 2 doubles. No lost balls and no penalties with only two 3 putts. Playing 18 tomorrow.

Keep playing that much and you'll make progress! Best of luck

Dave

View attachment 8908790

Heres the Ingrebourne TopTracer long drive records. I'm only a cheeky 140 yards behind him. ?
Pssshhhh. Kick him in the back when he isn’t looking. Say, right at the top as he begins his transition to the downswing

My average is another 100 behind you (though long I think is 205, but it’s been a hot minute since I’ve even hinted at that distance).
At least your not some filthy Brit.

Well, there is no off season. If it’s not snowin’, I’m goin’. (Mostly.)

So, your Doctor Uncle Hammy played a name course here in NE Ohio, and shot a sweet 97. Driver was pretty solid, hybrids were real good, wedges played well, and putter was....ok. Greens were smoooooth and fast.

Now, the interesting stuff. Whilst playing with my brother last week, I was watching him set up to swing, and noticed he likes to orient the ball near the hosel, instead of center-face. I’d been flaring my irons a bit lately, and decided to try that. Well, starch my shorts, if I wasn’t making center-face contact on damn near every shot. So, kept trying it during today’s round. Same thing. Solid contact, nice distance, no slices.

I’ll probably forget it this week and go back to my hacking ways, lol.

Hopefully you will only get barely a remnant like we did in Dallas area. Drizzled for part of a day and some winds, but that was it for us.

It’s been raining off and since early afternoon. It’s supposed to rain through the night and Sunday.

We already have flash flooding since early this week, with rivers that are above flood stage. Not good, but better than Houston.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, your Doctor Uncle Hammy played a name course here in NE Ohio, and shot a sweet 97. Driver was pretty solid, hybrids were real good, wedges played well, and putter was....ok. Greens were smoooooth and fast.

Now, the interesting stuff. Whilst playing with my brother last week, I was watching him set up to swing, and noticed he likes to orient the ball near the hosel, instead of center-face. I’d been flaring my irons a bit lately, and decided to try that. Well, starch my shorts, if I wasn’t making center-face contact on damn near every shot. So, kept trying it during today’s round. Same thing. Solid contact, nice distance, no slices.

I've been struggling with this too. I can't seem to set up to the ball and actually hit it anymore. Every shot shows the divot about 1.5 inches inside the tee. I'm actually amazed the ball goes anywhere because it's pretty obvious I'm missing it by swinging so far to the inside. Quick fix is the set up looking like I'm going to shank it. It's helping a bit, but I still wonder what the H is going on. While I'm waiting for my turn I'm taking swings at tees, leaves, etc. and have no problem hitting them. But try the same swing on an actual ball and...bad miss to the inside.

Guess I shouldn't have bought those fancy ball with the kryptonite cores.

Are you normally hitting toe side?

Dave

I've been struggling with this too.

What is it about us that allows this to happen? I'd wager most of us who have struggled for years to improve do this.

We all have something we have to do in order to hit good shots. It's not like doing just that one thing will guarantee success, but not doing it will almost guarantee poor results. You'd think it would be easy to remember, but noooooo! I have to duff around the course for 9 or 10 holes or spend a half hour of frustrating practice before it clicks.

Gaming a new driver (Callaway pre-owned Epic Flash) and hitting it straight down the middle from the tee. 4 of 5 rounds in 90s, good improvement. Now to get into 80s (hah!)

Gaming a new driver (Callaway pre-owned Epic Flash) and hitting it straight down the middle from the tee. 4 of 5 rounds in 90s, good improvement. Now to get into 80s (hah!)
That is good to hear. I think that might be the next club that I pick up.

Back