Trying to Break 100

I’ve got 2 rounds scheduled this weekend. They’ll be the first non-competitive/scramble 18 hole rounds I’ve played in at least 2 months

Well, this didn’t happen. Got called into work yesterday and I already had plans in the afternoon so no golf yesterday. Woke up this morning and my back is killing me and it poured rain last night. Just not feeling it. I’ll try again through the week or next weekend

Started playing again after a layoff due to Cataract surgery, now can see where my ball is going, and except off the tee, don't like it. I can't quite judge the distance to the ball with my irons and am getting more miss-hits. Hopefully, a few more rounds and I'll adjust. Anyone else gone through this?

I have the start of cataracts, according to my optometrist. I have trouble finding some ball flights. Balls in the autumn rough are a real adventure...

I’ve tried most every color. I used green duo softs when DG was here. First drive - lost ball in the rough. It becomes a increasingly-frustrating game of “where’s Waldo?”

Getting older is not for the faint of heart!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, this didn’t happen. Got called into work yesterday and I already had plans in the afternoon so no golf yesterday. Woke up this morning and my back is killing me and it poured rain last night. Just not feeling it. I’ll try again through the week or next weekend

Sorry. I hate when work gets in the way...

Back problems suck. I went to my chiropractor on Friday morning. My belt was leaning down to the right when I looked in the mirror last week. Time for an adjustment. It was good for a few strokes in Friday afternoon’s round.

When “Arthur” (arthritis) sets in, cool and damp sucks worse.

Played a regular track today. 58/48. Swing was kinda out of sync for most of the day, but I managed to recover on the back a bit. Hit some good shots, some solid putts, and the wedge was working well. Made three pars on the back, along with a sweet, sweet 10.
Going to change my left hand to a stronger grip. Toyed with it today to mixed results. Feels really weird.
Going to break down this year and get some lessons. (Shaddup, DG)
May actually try to improve.

Hey, buddy. Lessons CAN help! I’m going for one next Saturday to (hopefully) find my swing again. And remember...

4e6d1cf0fd190b886dc998b4f9896d63.jpg

Sorry. I hate when work gets in the way...

Back problems suck. I went to my chiropractor on Friday morning. My belt was leaning down to the right when I looked in the mirror last week. Time for an adjustment. It was good for a few strokes in Friday afternoon’s round.

When “Arthur” (arthritis) sets in, cool and damp sucks worse.

Prett sure I just slept all twisted up. If it was sunny and warm I’d tough it out since it would loosen up fairly quick but the overcast, dreary weather just...... bleh

Got out to play yesterday. I went and played the same executive course that I've played the previous two weeks (It's in the best shape of the 3 local tracks I play right now). I've been really discouraged with my game since I started playing again after my surgery layoff. The previous two weeks I shot identical 91 scores. On the surface that doesn't sound bad (especially in the B100 thread) but this is a par 63 course. So I was shooting 28 over par. It wasn't the end of the world but my HCP had been slowly trending down this season (started as a 30.1 and ended at a 22.6 before surgery). Those aren't GREAT leaps and bounds as far as dropping a HCP but I was really excited about the direction of my game. Two straight rounds of golf almost a full 6 strokes over my HCP had me rattled, I ain't gonna lie.

I spent a lot of time at the practice area before my last round at this course (almost a full two hours) and I knew that I would pay for it on the back 9 (and I did) but I was more concerned with finding my groove than I was finding out what I had for the day and working with it. Well, I never really found my groove but a couple of things did click. It's a funny game and amazing how you can forget some of the fundamental things that brought you success before. Unfortunately, even though some things clicked, I still shot another 91. Yesterday I decided my approach would be different.

I got to the course about an hour before my tee time, checked in, and asked for a medium bucket of balls this time (the previous two weeks I had gotten large buckets). I went to the range and started the same as I had the previous week: dialing in those 50-100 yards shots with the wedge. The first 5 or so balls were cringe worthy. The next 8 or so were dead nuts. Perfect. Leave it alone. On to the 9 iron. I start hitting the sh*t out of that thing. By now, the swing is loose and I'm just CRUSHING the ball. 165 yard 9i? GTFO! but I quickly realize (though it's been fun to hit the 9 that far) I have no idea where the ball is going. O.K. that was fun, I think to myself, but let's dial it back to your regular distance (about 145). Sure enough, I start dropping shots right in front of the 150 sign that I had been aiming at. O.K., now we're getting somewhere. On to the 7i. I used to love my 7i but it seems, for the last half of the season, all I can hit with it is a hook or a straight push. I ahve no idea what the issue is because I move up to a 6i and I have no (or less) issues. It may be time to take the irons in and have all the lofts and lies checked, me thinks. 7i was a dud again yesterday. I wasted no more than 5 swings on it and moved on. 4i was predictable: so-so off the turf and dead nuts off the tee. Move on to the driver. Ah, my nemesis. "Shorten the back swing and turn the steering wheel", I told myself. 6 straight shots with the driver. All of them within 10-15 yards of dispersion. No F*cking way. That's it. I'm done. I actually left about 10 balls on the the range (something I NEVER do unless I'm being called to the tee box). Off I go to the putting and chipping greens. Unfortunately, my putting and chipping wasn't as strong as it was the previous two weeks (without a solid putting game last week, that 91 could have easily been a 101). O.K., I figure. Not great but I can work with it.

I get to the first tee, get ready to tee off and over the loudspeaker I hear "Mr. Gonzalez, you will have a single joining you. Please wait for him, He'll be riding with you". Now, normally this wouldn't bother me but I was just about to start my swing and I was dialed into my target. Now, I'm a little rattled. I step off the box, go back to my cart and take a moment to collect myself and wait for my single. I got paired up with a guy named Stu. Retired cop from Tucson that ended up having some wild stories (he worked in the gangs division for quite a stretch). Anyhoo, we get up on the tee box and I remind myself "shorten the backswing, turn the steering wheel". Bang, dead down the middle of the fairway 260 yards. YES! That hole was a bit of a disaster after that, as I thinned my 100 yard approach shot (I'd been NAILING that shot on the range. Grrrr) and I carded a 6. After that I went bogey, bogey, par, par, bogey, bogey, par, bogey for a 38 front 9 (par 31). O.K., I'm thinking, a little under bogey golf for the front. I NEVER should have counted them up (I never usually do. I always wait until the end of the round to tally my score). Sure enough, the back 9 fell apart because I had in my head that I shot less than bogey golf on the front and I "knew" I could do it on the back, also. My tee shot on 10 set the stage: pushed hard left and into a tree. It bounced out (and backward) into the fairway for a whopping 70 yard drive. I really need to learn to let those shots go because I let that shot snowball into some horrible golf for the next few holes. I ended up shooting double, double, double, bogey, bogey, par, par, double, double to finish the back 9 at 44 for a total of 82. Just a touch worse than bogey golf. After my last two rounds I was ecstatic..........for a minute. Then I realized how I let a bad tee shot on 10 affect the rest of my round. I could have played a phenomenal (for me) round of golf if I had just kept my head in the game. But, after the previous two disasters, I'll take that 82 and RUN. God, I hate (read: love) this f*cking game. :LOL:

I got in a quick 9 practice round after work. Hoping to play again Sunday morning.

fb48d8763eee28d6f77750058c04ffa1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pretty course

Got out to play yesterday. I went and played the same executive course that I've played the previous two weeks (It's in the best shape of the 3 local tracks I play right now). I've been really discouraged with my game since I started playing again after my surgery layoff. The previous two weeks I shot identical 91 scores. On the surface that doesn't sound bad (especially in the B100 thread) but this is a par 63 course. So I was shooting 28 over par. It wasn't the end of the world but my HCP had been slowly trending down this season (started as a 30.1 and ended at a 22.6 before surgery). Those aren't GREAT leaps and bounds as far as dropping a HCP but I was really excited about the direction of my game. Two straight rounds of golf almost a full 6 strokes over my HCP had me rattled, I ain't gonna lie.

I spent a lot of time at the practice area before my last round at this course (almost a full two hours) and I knew that I would pay for it on the back 9 (and I did) but I was more concerned with finding my groove than I was finding out what I had for the day and working with it. Well, I never really found my groove but a couple of things did click. It's a funny game and amazing how you can forget some of the fundamental things that brought you success before. Unfortunately, even though some things clicked, I still shot another 91. Yesterday I decided my approach would be different.

I got to the course about an hour before my tee time, checked in, and asked for a medium bucket of balls this time (the previous two weeks I had gotten large buckets). I went to the range and started the same as I had the previous week: dialing in those 50-100 yards shots with the wedge. The first 5 or so balls were cringe worthy. The next 8 or so were dead nuts. Perfect. Leave it alone. On to the 9 iron. I start hitting the sh*t out of that thing. By now, the swing is loose and I'm just CRUSHING the ball. 165 yard 9i? GTFO! but I quickly realize (though it's been fun to hit the 9 that far) I have no idea where the ball is going. O.K. that was fun, I think to myself, but let's dial it back to your regular distance (about 145). Sure enough, I start dropping shots right in front of the 150 sign that I had been aiming at. O.K., now we're getting somewhere. On to the 7i. I used to love my 7i but it seems, for the last half of the season, all I can hit with it is a hook or a straight push. I ahve no idea what the issue is because I move up to a 6i and I have no (or less) issues. It may be time to take the irons in and have all the lofts and lies checked, me thinks. 7i was a dud again yesterday. I wasted no more than 5 swings on it and moved on. 4i was predictable: so-so off the turf and dead nuts off the tee. Move on to the driver. Ah, my nemesis. "Shorten the back swing and turn the steering wheel", I told myself. 6 straight shots with the driver. All of them within 10-15 yards of dispersion. No F*cking way. That's it. I'm done. I actually left about 10 balls on the the range (something I NEVER do unless I'm being called to the tee box). Off I go to the putting and chipping greens. Unfortunately, my putting and chipping wasn't as strong as it was the previous two weeks (without a solid putting game last week, that 91 could have easily been a 101). O.K., I figure. Not great but I can work with it.

I get to the first tee, get ready to tee off and over the loudspeaker I hear "Mr. Gonzalez, you will have a single joining you. Please wait for him, He'll be riding with you". Now, normally this wouldn't bother me but I was just about to start my swing and I was dialed into my target. Now, I'm a little rattled. I step off the box, go back to my cart and take a moment to collect myself and wait for my single. I got paired up with a guy named Stu. Retired cop from Tucson that ended up having some wild stories (he worked in the gangs division for quite a stretch). Anyhoo, we get up on the tee box and I remind myself "shorten the backswing, turn the steering wheel". Bang, dead down the middle of the fairway 260 yards. YES! That hole was a bit of a disaster after that, as I thinned my 100 yard approach shot (I'd been NAILING that shot on the range. Grrrr) and I carded a 6. After that I went bogey, bogey, par, par, bogey, bogey, par, bogey for a 38 front 9 (par 31). O.K., I'm thinking, a little under bogey golf for the front. I NEVER should have counted them up (I never usually do. I always wait until the end of the round to tally my score). Sure enough, the back 9 fell apart because I had in my head that I shot less than bogey golf on the front and I "knew" I could do it on the back, also. My tee shot on 10 set the stage: pushed hard left and into a tree. It bounced out (and backward) into the fairway for a whopping 70 yard drive. I really need to learn to let those shots go because I let that shot snowball into some horrible golf for the next few holes. I ended up shooting double, double, double, bogey, bogey, par, par, double, double to finish the back 9 at 44 for a total of 82. Just a touch worse than bogey golf. After my last two rounds I was ecstatic..........for a minute. Then I realized how I let a bad tee shot on 10 affect the rest of my round. I could have played a phenomenal (for me) round of golf if I had just kept my head in the game. But, after the previous two disasters, I'll take that 82 and RUN. God, I hate (read: love) this f*cking game. :LOL:
And all this time I thought your name was Rob Randal.

And all this time I thought your name was Rob Randal.
Close. My full name is Robert Randal Gonzalez. I go by Randy because my mom didn't want my dad's family to start calling me "Junior". ;)

I have the start of cataracts, according to my optometrist. I have trouble finding some ball flights. Balls in the autumn rough are a real adventure...

I’ve tried most every color. I used green duo softs when DG was here. First drive - lost ball in the rough. It becomes a increasingly-frustrating game of “where’s Waldo?”

Getting older is not for the faint of heart!

Yeah, same here. I can’t find a ball to save my life. Going to play the last of my white ones and start to experiment with different colors.

Close. My full name is Robert Randal Gonzalez. I go by Randy because my mom didn't want my dad's family to start calling me "Junior". ;)
So, what I’m interpreting this as is “Hey, B100, call me Junior!”

Now, I need to figure out my plan to become +44 handicap. (Besides my usual route of cheating my ass off.)

The pre-pre-plan is to figure out the top three reasons I suck, and to figure out how to de-suckify them.

Number one is gain some yardage through the bag. I’m looking for modest gains, let’s say 15 yards per club. That should drop 10 strokes per round right there. (Figuring 60 yards gained per four shots on a par four.)

My putting and wedge game are pretty solid, so the next is the area would be approach shots, which are erratic.

Last is probably consistency with the driver.

These may all be cured by a swing re-vamp, which is what the eyeball of the pro should figure out.

As I was playing yesterday, when I would hit a top and roll it 30 yards, the spectre of new clubs would enter my headspace, then I’d nut one with the same club a bit later, expelling it. It’s like trying to fight off a persistent, but intermittent horsefly on the course.

As a temporary remedy, I read all the reviews on my clubs, which say “Yeeeaaaahhh....they ain’t the cream of the crop, but they are juuuuust fine for you. Now, go practice” I think that was a direct quote from Golf Digest.

I’m cooling my heels in the Apple store, which explains my rampant posting.

So, first time out since Ohio, and I had one of those rounds - ball striking was quixotic* at best.

It was cold, it was wet, it was great fun.

Best club in the bag was my Thriver, next was my putter, everything else was a toss up. Shot a 48/47 = 95.

As we were out early though, I did get some lovely pics of the course as the early mist was burning off ("burning" might be the most inappropriate choice of words though, as it was proper chilly all day)

What we were faced with on the first tee: 20191020_075629.jpg

Me trying to work out what ball worked best in the fog: 20191020_080516.jpg

Walking up the 3rd, you can see it was clearing:20191020_082423.jpg

But when I looked backwards, it appears we were playing on the front cover of Argus by Wishbone Ash (look it up, you millenials):20191020_082416.jpg

*pretentio-speak for rotten

Out with my wife, Linda (who hit them great today!) to our favorite 9-hole exec course. I ended up +11 after three starting messes.

It is a GORGEOUS day in this part of the woods! Sadly, much better than last weekend...

2cd01096df765a48b3c784e218618e69.jpg

e42965df50964470148b3c5ef7d71be3.jpg

It was the maiden voyage of my new, used Sun Mountain 4-five (which I traded in my 3-five to get at Play it Again Sports)...

6fbe072130be766421c886c6499e13e6.jpg

391124cf5f634fb92dde91acdb7a130b.jpg

db6a459b6de72b4bc5bdd135bece71f8.jpg

79b380b59236af66ccd36977c46bc53e.jpg

At least I look like I know what I’m doing...

I shot 39/38 - 77 on my “home” par 59 executive course today. Not my best, but I consider anything under 80 on that course a good day. Considering the early morning wet conditions, aerated greens and my 3 or 4 missed par opportunities and I can’t complain too much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back