Trying to Break 100

Pretty course

Yeah, it’s pretty decent for a little 9 hole course. only 2 par 4 holes, the rest are par 3. Most days it costs me $10.00 with cart. Can’t beat it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Walked 18 this morning. Beautiful weather and the playing conditions were just perfect. Yet, nobody else was on the course until I was halfway through the 2nd nine holes????

Started out very well, parring 3 of the first 4 holes, but the round took a dump (in part because I failed to leave the driver at home). Stopped keeping score after a couple of blowup holes and returned to playing enjoyable, bogey golf again.

I was happy with contact on almost every iron shot. Dispersion wasn't great but kept the ball in play. Was able to slow everything down which seemed to help at times with proper sequencing and weight shift. On hole 4, I hit a 4i swinging very easily that measured 195yds on GPS (170 yds is a good result with that club.)

Played pretty much to my average with wedges and putter - meaning I succeeded where I normally fail, and vice versa.

Hole1.jpgHole5.jpgHole7.jpgHole8.jpgHole6.jpgHole9.jpg

Got out this morning in windy conditions but it was fun!!!!
Glad to see a bunch of you out playing today.

Walked 18 this morning. Beautiful weather and the playing conditions were just perfect. Yet, nobody else was on the course until I was halfway through the 2nd nine holes????

Started out very well, parring 3 of the first 4 holes, but the round took a dump (in part because I failed to leave the driver at home). Stopped keeping score after a couple of blowup holes and returned to playing enjoyable, bogey golf again.

I was happy with contact on almost every iron shot. Dispersion wasn't great but kept the ball in play. Was able to slow everything down which seemed to help at times with proper sequencing and weight shift. On hole 4, I hit a 4i swinging very easily that measured 195yds on GPS (170 yds is a good result with that club.)

Played pretty much to my average with wedges and putter - meaning I succeeded where I normally fail, and vice versa.

View attachment 8911737View attachment 8911738View attachment 8911739View attachment 8911740View attachment 8911741View attachment 8911743
Another nice looking course!

Didn’t get out today, but got some stuff done, and enjoyed a beautiful day.

I did contemplate my game, whilst walking the dog.

Didn’t get out today, but got some stuff done, and enjoyed a beautiful day.

I did contemplate my game, whilst walking the dog.
Be happy you didn't come. I found out I don't hit it far at all playing with a 16 year old who puts it 20-30 yards past my good ones. My ego took a beating. I suck at golf

Be happy you didn't come. I found out I don't hit it far at all playing with a 16 year old who puts it 20-30 yards past my good ones. My ego took a beating. I suck at golf
Should have busted his melon open like I said.

Got out to play yesterday. I went and played the same executive course that I've played the previous two weeks (It's in the best shape of the 3 local tracks I play right now). I've been really discouraged with my game since I started playing again after my surgery layoff. The previous two weeks I shot identical 91 scores. On the surface that doesn't sound bad (especially in the B100 thread) but this is a par 63 course. So I was shooting 28 over par. It wasn't the end of the world but my HCP had been slowly trending down this season (started as a 30.1 and ended at a 22.6 before surgery). Those aren't GREAT leaps and bounds as far as dropping a HCP but I was really excited about the direction of my game. Two straight rounds of golf almost a full 6 strokes over my HCP had me rattled, I ain't gonna lie.

I spent a lot of time at the practice area before my last round at this course (almost a full two hours) and I knew that I would pay for it on the back 9 (and I did) but I was more concerned with finding my groove than I was finding out what I had for the day and working with it. Well, I never really found my groove but a couple of things did click. It's a funny game and amazing how you can forget some of the fundamental things that brought you success before. Unfortunately, even though some things clicked, I still shot another 91. Yesterday I decided my approach would be different.

I got to the course about an hour before my tee time, checked in, and asked for a medium bucket of balls this time (the previous two weeks I had gotten large buckets). I went to the range and started the same as I had the previous week: dialing in those 50-100 yards shots with the wedge. The first 5 or so balls were cringe worthy. The next 8 or so were dead nuts. Perfect. Leave it alone. On to the 9 iron. I start hitting the sh*t out of that thing. By now, the swing is loose and I'm just CRUSHING the ball. 165 yard 9i? GTFO! but I quickly realize (though it's been fun to hit the 9 that far) I have no idea where the ball is going. O.K. that was fun, I think to myself, but let's dial it back to your regular distance (about 145). Sure enough, I start dropping shots right in front of the 150 sign that I had been aiming at. O.K., now we're getting somewhere. On to the 7i. I used to love my 7i but it seems, for the last half of the season, all I can hit with it is a hook or a straight push. I ahve no idea what the issue is because I move up to a 6i and I have no (or less) issues. It may be time to take the irons in and have all the lofts and lies checked, me thinks. 7i was a dud again yesterday. I wasted no more than 5 swings on it and moved on. 4i was predictable: so-so off the turf and dead nuts off the tee. Move on to the driver. Ah, my nemesis. "Shorten the back swing and turn the steering wheel", I told myself. 6 straight shots with the driver. All of them within 10-15 yards of dispersion. No F*cking way. That's it. I'm done. I actually left about 10 balls on the the range (something I NEVER do unless I'm being called to the tee box). Off I go to the putting and chipping greens. Unfortunately, my putting and chipping wasn't as strong as it was the previous two weeks (without a solid putting game last week, that 91 could have easily been a 101). O.K., I figure. Not great but I can work with it.

I get to the first tee, get ready to tee off and over the loudspeaker I hear "Mr. Gonzalez, you will have a single joining you. Please wait for him, He'll be riding with you". Now, normally this wouldn't bother me but I was just about to start my swing and I was dialed into my target. Now, I'm a little rattled. I step off the box, go back to my cart and take a moment to collect myself and wait for my single. I got paired up with a guy named Stu. Retired cop from Tucson that ended up having some wild stories (he worked in the gangs division for quite a stretch). Anyhoo, we get up on the tee box and I remind myself "shorten the backswing, turn the steering wheel". Bang, dead down the middle of the fairway 260 yards. YES! That hole was a bit of a disaster after that, as I thinned my 100 yard approach shot (I'd been NAILING that shot on the range. Grrrr) and I carded a 6. After that I went bogey, bogey, par, par, bogey, bogey, par, bogey for a 38 front 9 (par 31). O.K., I'm thinking, a little under bogey golf for the front. I NEVER should have counted them up (I never usually do. I always wait until the end of the round to tally my score). Sure enough, the back 9 fell apart because I had in my head that I shot less than bogey golf on the front and I "knew" I could do it on the back, also. My tee shot on 10 set the stage: pushed hard left and into a tree. It bounced out (and backward) into the fairway for a whopping 70 yard drive. I really need to learn to let those shots go because I let that shot snowball into some horrible golf for the next few holes. I ended up shooting double, double, double, bogey, bogey, par, par, double, double to finish the back 9 at 44 for a total of 82. Just a touch worse than bogey golf. After my last two rounds I was ecstatic..........for a minute. Then I realized how I let a bad tee shot on 10 affect the rest of my round. I could have played a phenomenal (for me) round of golf if I had just kept my head in the game. But, after the previous two disasters, I'll take that 82 and RUN. God, I hate (read: love) this f*cking game. :LOL:
Yes I’m squarely in the feast and fame stage. Feel I make strides but so erratic.

Just remember the good. Then go work on the bad.

Today’s round I played better golf by far yet scored worse. I adjusted the Epic Flash to draw setting on the hossel. And put the weight back to middle full back. Started striping in the range AND on course. Still lost a few right. But way more than half of rounds drives were fairway hits!

Irons were again good. I left a birdie putt on a par 4, one inch short!!!!! 5 wood to wet ruff. Leaving me a PW that I hit to 6 ft! Picture attached is from my walk up after wedge shot. Ball even with pin, just to right.

My putting was really good. Lots of 1 putts. Only 1 three putt until I got broken by my chipping. On the front,I hit some great save my butt from a penalty to still bogie with 1 putt. But back nine, wheels came completely off.

Need to dedicate real time to chipping and seek professional help.

Attachments

• 8757403F-F3E5-410C-97EA-46320D28A349.jpeg
    8757403F-F3E5-410C-97EA-46320D28A349.jpeg
    169.6 KB · Views: 16
  • EFCCA2C7-72E5-4994-95C2-1E70C4E3928D.jpeg
    EFCCA2C7-72E5-4994-95C2-1E70C4E3928D.jpeg
    955 KB · Views: 18
Today’s round I played better golf by far yet scored worse. I adjusted the Epic Flash to draw setting on the hossel. And put the weight back to middle full back. Started striping in the range AND on course. Still lost a few right. But way more than half of rounds drives were fairway hits!

Irons were again good. I left a birdie putt on a par 4, one inch short!!!!! 5 wood to wet ruff. Leaving me a PW that I hit to 6 ft! Picture attached is from my walk up after wedge shot. Ball even with pin, just to right.

My putting was really good. Lots of 1 putts. Only 1 three putt until I got broken by my chipping. On the front,I hit some great save my butt from a penalty to still bogie with 1 putt. But back nine, wheels came completely off.

Need to dedicate real time to chipping and seek professional help.
That is a nasty looking bunker.

That is a nasty looking bunker.

They are all like that on this, my home, course. Plays worse that they look because the sand is quite sparse in them. Very hard bottoms and high lips.

I like this course. Because it will force me to become a better golfer. 14 holes with at least 1 forced carry.

Morning all

The start of another week, but despite the terrible weather yesterday I am feeling pretty good after beating my PB yesterday in the club Stableford Sunday competition (and I am fairly sure I won the competition as well, just waiting for confirmation from HowDidIDo)
Course was playing preferred lies due to the rain we have had recently, so keeping the ball in the fairway was paramount

Was driving the ball very well, don't think I missed many fairways all round, popped up with 4 birdies and no doubles and finished with.....

37-37=74 (Par 72)

Started and finished with a birdie with another birdie on each side as well, and putted very well including dropping a few putts to save par a couple times

Scorecard - Sunday.jpg

They are all like that on this, my home, course. Plays worse that they look because the sand is quite sparse in them. Very hard bottoms and high lips.

I like this course. Because it will force me to become a better golfer. 14 holes with at least 1 forced carry.
I actually prefer a course that will kick me in the teeth a bit. As you said, it does make one elevate their game. Even if the score doesn't reflect it, the mental edge grows sharper.

Morning all

The start of another week, but despite the terrible weather yesterday I am feeling pretty good after beating my PB yesterday in the club Stableford Sunday competition (and I am fairly sure I won the competition as well, just waiting for confirmation from HowDidIDo)
Course was playing preferred lies due to the rain we have had recently, so keeping the ball in the fairway was paramount

Was driving the ball very well, don't think I missed many fairways all round, popped up with 4 birdies and no doubles and finished with.....

37-37=74 (Par 72)

Started and finished with a birdie with another birdie on each side as well, and putted very well including dropping a few putts to save par a couple times

View attachment 8911769
Great job, Doc!!

I actually prefer a course that will kick me in the teeth a bit. As you said, it does make one elevate their game. Even if the score doesn't reflect it, the mental edge grows sharper.

And playing with better players is always a good way to learn as well - watching how they plot their way round the course
Even if you can't execute the shots they play, understanding their thought process can help you make better decisions about your own shots

Pretty decent round last friday: 53/53: 106. Could've saved two penalties and few puts and strokes, but I played very casually with a friend and most of all we got good time. I have been holding the driver at home and it has been a wise decision. I hit most of the fairways with 5w and still reached more GIR than usually.

About the driver. I tried 5w shaft to the driver head (Cobra F8 D and 5W, same adapter). Hit small bucket and I am in love :love: Shorter, tipped shaft plays stiffer with driver head. I couldn't hit anywhere but middle of the face. shorter shaft is easier to control and as it's stiffer it's not so wobbly in my hands. So I just ordered same shaft as 3w length (found 2nd hand from UK). For gits and shiggles, I tried the driver shaft for 5w head, it was outrages :LOL: the 1/10 good hit was absolutely stunning, but the rest were too spinny and all over the place. So 5w gets it's stock shaft back and driver gets new to me 3w shaft. So next season the driver will be in play and so will the 5w as tee and 2nd shot club.

Pretty decent round last friday: 53/53: 106. Could've saved two penalties and few puts and strokes, but I played very casually with a friend and most of all we got good time. I have been holding the driver at home and it has been a wise decision. I hit most of the fairways with 5w and still reached more GIR than usually.

About the driver. I tried 5w shaft to the driver head (Cobra F8 D and 5W, same adapter). Hit small bucket and I am in love :love: Shorter, tipped shaft plays stiffer with driver head. I couldn't hit anywhere but middle of the face. shorter shaft is easier to control and as it's stiffer it's not so wobbly in my hands. So I just ordered same shaft as 3w length (found 2nd hand from UK). For gits and shiggles, I tried the driver shaft for 5w head, it was outrages :LOL: the 1/10 good hit was absolutely stunning, but the rest were too spinny and all over the place. So 5w gets it's stock shaft back and driver gets new to me 3w shaft. So next season the driver will be in play and so will the 5w as tee and 2nd shot club.
Long live the thriver!

Morning all

37-37=74 (Par 72)

View attachment 8911769

Seems trying to break 80 or trying to break par would be more appropriate ;)

Long live the thriver!

After DG told me the legend of the Thriver, I put my HRDUS 3W shaft in my driver before Friday’s round. I don’t think it was a fair shake, given my current swing inconsistencies, but I get the idea behind it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A shorter driver has worked out well for me so far.

THP event week is here, so I’m obviously super excited to meet up with a bunch of great internet golfers and even better people.

Once I got selected, I put a lot of pressure on myself to improve. Took up a lesson plan, the pro quickly identified some big issues and I started grinding. Some good moments, but also some new misses. It really is a grind... Somewhere in there over a month ago I got hurt and have had to back off. Will try and work off some rust this week but will be careful to back off too.

Getting older sucks greatly. Dealing with a couple (probably) minor health stuff to keep me busy before the trip. Whatever swing I bring, ? committed to having a great time. THP event - tough not to!

About the driver. I tried 5w shaft to the driver head (Cobra F8 D and 5W, same adapter). Hit small bucket and I am in love :love: Shorter, tipped shaft plays stiffer with driver head. I couldn't hit anywhere but middle of the face. shorter shaft is easier to control and as it's stiffer it's not so wobbly in my hands. So I just ordered same shaft as 3w length (found 2nd hand from UK).
I'm finding exactly the same thing, again with a Cobra head and 3w shaft. It seems pretty solid and repeatable as a concept, as I borrowed a thriver when I was over with Hammy (also a Cobra) and was hitting it pretty well, even though it was totally new to me. The extra distance I see with it over a hybrid or 3w, while being pretty much as accurate, is very welcome. I am often left with 8i or less into greens on par 4s, and it makes such a difference to scoring when I'm playing OK.

My only other thing to note is that I am happier with a little more loft on the Thriver, for a couple of reasons:
  1. You will/may lose a little potential clubhead speed due to the shorter shaft compared to the normal driver one, so any increased launch is welcome.
  2. Adding loft closes the face a little, and as my miss is a bit power-fade-y, anything that closes the face a little is also welcome.
I made the changes after the first round we played in the US to the borrowed thriver, and Hammy noticed the change in flight pretty much immediately, and I felt more comfortable being able to swing freely.
(y)

My only other thing to note is that I am happier with a little more loft on the Thriver, for a couple of reasons:
  1. You will/may lose a little potential clubhead speed due to the shorter shaft compared to the normal driver one, so any increased launch is welcome.
  2. Adding loft closes the face a little, and as my miss is a bit power-fade-y, anything that closes the face a little is also welcome.
I made the changes after the first round we played in the US to the borrowed thriver, and Hammy noticed the change in flight pretty much immediately, and I felt more comfortable being able to swing freely.
(y)

Great explanations on the “power of the Thriver.” I will try it again this coming weekend, with a higher loft, at my Saturday lesson and 18 holes on Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

During my thriver/friver experiment I found the stock weights of the driver head to be quite light with shorter shaft. I like a bit more heft on a club so I ordered 12g and 16g weights to experiment with. That should increase the swing weight a bit.

Back