Trying to Break 100

The other thing you can do is find a club you are comfortable with and have confidence in and use it around the green most times. I prefer my 50° wedge, but there are times I have to use other clubs. You will learn when those times are.
I usually am armed with my 54 degree set SW. I've waffled back and forth about maybe using the AW or PW from the set to get a bit less pop and a bit more rollout. That's what all the cool kids seem to be going for nowadays.

I usually am armed with my 54 degree set SW. I've waffled back and forth about maybe using the AW or PW from the set to get a bit less pop and a bit more rollout. That's what all the cool kids seem to be going for nowadays.

Depends on the situation. If I’ve got a long way to go on the green and I’m sitting on the fringe I’ll use almost any club in the bag. I like my 54° for almost any shot though, so it gets the most use.

9i is my go-to inside of 110'ish yards it seems...pitching, chipping, you name it...inside of 110 (maybe a little further), the 9 is taking everything until the putter takes over

on another note, the approach G80 is pretty fun to play with...

I don't think it is appropriate to add this to the Granddaddy thread, so here goes: Hey Snickerdog, we wish you the best and are rooting for you and your team. ;)⛳

Daze hit some nice shots today, as did I. I caused him to get all hepped up and out of his game when I got to talking about politics. I take the mea culpa for that. We talked about the group here and how you are all villains. A totally irredeemable group of scalawags.
Yes please.(y)
And how I waaaaaaaaaant new clubs despite not needing them, because I am a fickle magpie boy who loves to look at the shiny shiny.
I did crush a majestic drive that went 60. Ma. Jest. Ic.
Fixt. (y)

fairly certain this has been asked before but do you keep score EVERY time you go out? I know you'd need to in order to have tangible proof you're getting better but I find that if I don't keep score all the time, I shoot better...:/
Personally yes, but YMMV. Whatever works best for you should be your method.

Generally, I try to not keep count thoughout the round, because [gritted teeth]when I do that, I realise what I need to break 80 for the first time, and then totally crap the bed[/gritted teeth].....aaaand relax. I'm over it. No, really.

But as you say, I like to keep a tally of how I'm going, so I keep my own unofficial handicap (average of the best 8 of the last 20 rounds, non-weather adjusted), but I can sort all that out after the round. Tangible proof for you could also be just keeping track of, say...penalties, or putts, or fairways hit, or Greenside in Reg, or whatever metric you fancy or particularly want to improve, without worrying too much about what number comes out at the other end of the round, because thats a combination of ALL of the above.

Last edited:
@Snickerdog I want to love my 53 trusty rusty but I just can't use it well enough...I can chip/pitch the 9i with a modicum of success but the LW just escapes me :/
@chile remind me again what irons you have? The Trusty Rusty is a bit bladey, and if your 9i is friendlier, that might just be the difference. A chipper is about 45° generally, around Pitching wedge loft. If your irons are friendly, nice big soles and a helpful profile, try the PW first before buying a chipper, as it's essentially the same loft, but on a putter style head and shaft. Additionally, you aren't actually gaining much loft over your 9i with a chipper, either.

Last edited:
Good morning peeps!! What an amazing time.

@chile remind me again what irons you have? The Trusty Rusty is a bit bladey, and if your 9i is friendlier, that might just be the difference. A chipper is about 45° generally, around Pitching wedge loft. If your irons are friendly, nice big soles and a helpful profile, try the PW first before buying a chipper, as it's essentially the same loft, but on a putter style head and shaft. Additionally, you aren't actually gaining much loft over your 9i with a chipper, either.

i'm using my F9 OL's (5-PW)...the trusty rusty is the only wedge I have outside of the PW.

i'm using my F9 OL's (5-PW)...the trusty rusty is the only wedge I have outside of the PW.
OK, so you are essentially going from 7i length, forgiving cavity backed irons, to a bladed Gap Wedge that's approx 2 inches shorter. If you didn't have some adjustment issues I'd be surprised. Just bear in mind that a chipper is shorter again by about 1.5 inches.

I struggled when I tried OL for a week when I was over visiting Hammy, and I struggled most when I tried to play higher chips, pitches. I ended up playing PW & 8i around the green almost exclusively and playing bump and runs. I'd honestly give your PW (44°) a shot to see if it does better. If it does, the F9 does both GW and SW at 49° + 54° respectively in OL, retaining the F9 construction.

Last edited:
OK, so you are essentially going from 7i length, forgiving cavity backed irons, to a bladed Gap Wedge that's approx 2 inches shorter. If you didn't have some adjustment issues I'd be surprised. Just bear in mind that a chipper is shorter again by about 1.5 inches.

I struggled when I tried OL for a week when I was over visiting Hammy, and I struggled when I tried to play higher chips, pitches. I ended up playing PW & 8i around the green almost exclusively and playing bump and runs. I'd honestly give your PW (44°) a shot to see if it does better. If it does, the F9 does both GW and SW at 49° + 54° respectively in OL, retaining the F9 construction.
When he switched over to the PW/8i, he was getting some great results with the bump and runs, I can attest.

When he switched over to the PW/8i, he was getting some great results with the bump and runs, I can attest.
You are too kind, sir.

But Hammy's GW was very bladey, and while some shots worked well (including a chip in) it was just too inconsistent for me. Admittedly, it was better when I gripped way down on the handle, but that kind of undermined the OL concept in the first place. It was just easier putting with the 8i / PW depending on required trajectory/rollout.

Good morning everyone!!! There will be some golf happening today. See how the new irons play today.

Good morning everyone!!! There will be some golf happening today. See how the new irons play today.

Have fun and don't forget to take plenty pics of the course and surroundings as well (y)

183bc25d5ce1935e34bdfa689504ab78.jpg

#liveoverpar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stop posting in here, and concentrate on being the THP closer. Take down Finley. (y)

At least replace all his golf balls with the defective Callaway ones...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stop posting in here, and concentrate on being the THP closer. Take down Finley. (y)
And when you do, rip your shirt off and scream "B100!!" to the shock and confusion of everyone there. We'll enjoy it.

And when you do, rip your shirt off and scream "B100!!" to the shock and confusion of everyone there. We'll enjoy it.
This. Is. Magnificent. (y)

This is not confirmed but I've heard a rumor that Snickerdog has "B100" tattooed on his chest. So he might not even have to scream.

Back