Trying to Break 100

All I need is a bit of glue stick, and a bit of Vaseline. You’ll never know where your shots will be going.
If you use Vaseline on both ends he won’t know where his shots or his clubs will go. Just sayin’

I think he's right Hammy 12.2 launch is not high enough, especially when it is wet out.

Dave

I think he's right Hammy 12.2 launch is not high enough, especially when it is wet out.

Dave
Possibly, but, I’m going to stay the course with the pro I’m seeing. He’s go me heading the right direction.

And Ben is a hater.

Possibly, but, I’m going to stay the course with the pro I’m seeing. He’s go me heading the right direction.

And Ben is a hater.

Good to see you making progress Hammy, keep it up (y)

I thought that I would report in. We live in the south of France now and I play most Sundays. I just scored 95 last weekend after my best score before being 110 on the same course. I restarted playing after a break of 10 years and never playing much or well back then. So I'm pleased to see some improvement. I don't know if my next game will also crack 100 but I like that I have done it.

I thought that I would report in. We live in the south of France now and I play most Sundays. I just scored 95 last weekend after my best score before being 110 on the same course. I restarted playing after a break of 10 years and never playing much or well back then. So I'm pleased to see some improvement. I don't know if my next game will also crack 100 but I like that I have done it.
Congrats!!! Stay with it.

Nice work

Hope the south of France is having better weather than the UK.....had 2 storms pass through over the last couple of weeks and the flooding has been a pain to say the least

I saw the number and had to do a double take. I honestly thought with my jacked up swing, it would be sub-1.0.
Your swing is nowhere near as jacked up as you appear to think it is, old boy. It's not the quickest in the world, but then again, what amateurs is?

It's not weird or freakish or backwards or anything, and when we played, you were buttoning nigh on everything. Those numbers do not surprise me in the least.(y)

I wonder - did he measured you as coming down on the ball and spinning it almost like a hybrid? Lowering loft on the club would reduce that spin a little, but sacrifice launch angle a bit. I remember a few of your poorer drives (there weren't that many, tbf) were ones that popped up a little.

Last edited:
Nice work

Hope the south of France is having better weather than the UK.....had 2 storms pass through over the last couple of weeks and the flooding has been a pain to say the least
"Storm Dennis" - possibly the most underwhelmingly named meteorological event ever?

"Storm Dennis" - possibly the most underwhelmingly named meteorological event ever?

Not sure what the weather has been like down your way, but up here it has been pretty bad with the flooding - the road that Jen would normally take to head to her office was closed for a few days due to the river it crosses having burst its banks, and the road up to our golf club was almost unpassable as well
Compared to what we have seen on the local news, we have got off lightly compared to some areas around the north-east, but at the same time I have seen it worse in previous years - one year they even had to close stretches of the A1 because the water had risen up so far from the fields either side

Playing golf at the moment is limited to indoor sim rounds or range time, so the sooner it clears up, the sooner I can try to break 100 :LOL:

Your swing is nowhere near as jacked up as you appear to think it is, old boy. It's not the quickest in the world, but then again, what amateurs is?

It's not weird or freakish or backwards or anything, and when we played, you were buttoning nigh on everything. Those numbers do not surprise me in the least.(y)

I wonder - did he measured you as coming down on the ball and spinning it almost like a hybrid? Lowering loft on the club would reduce that spin a little, but sacrifice launch angle a bit. I remember a few of your poorer drives (there weren't that many, tbf) were ones that popped up a little.
As noted above, he too a look at my driver, said he was going to make a couple tweaks to it, did them, and then gave it to me to swing.

As noted above, he too a look at my driver, said he was going to make a couple tweaks to it, did them, and then gave it to me to swing.

It will seem like a struggle at times, but if you stick with it, it will be worth it
Even just optimising your impact conditions will give you more distance without having to make any increase in swing speed, and from the sound of things you could end up adjusting your driver (or changing it for something else) to get the maximum possible distance for your speed

A by-product of a better swing is confidence in your game, and that is never a bad thing (y)

It will seem like a struggle at times, but if you stick with it, it will be worth it
Even just optimising your impact conditions will give you more distance without having to make any increase in swing speed, and from the sound of things you could end up adjusting your driver (or changing it for something else) to get the maximum possible distance for your speed

A by-product of a better swing is confidence in your game, and that is never a bad thing (y)
Doc, to be frank, it was not a struggle in the slightest. He handed it to me, I I put my normal (new) swing on it, and bang, there were the numbers. Felt a teensy bit different from moving the weights, but that's about it. I really like this driver, so I plan on gaming it for a good long while.

Well, not sure about that, mon ami. I didn't see any AoA, or anything like that. He was using the little white CG Quad, I think. The ball flights on the monitor looked pretty normal, nothing super high or low.

Edit: at this point, I really shouldn't be fussing about numbers, lol. Swing club, hit ball, hurl abuse at friends. My new game plan.

Last edited:
Well, not sure about that, mon ami. I didn't see any AoA, or anything like that. He was using the little white CG Quad, I think. The ball flights on the monitor looked pretty normal, nothing super high or low.

Edit: at this point, I really shouldn't be fussing about numbers, lol. Swing club, hit ball, hurl abuse at friends. My new game plan.
Whatever works, works. (y)

Doc, to be frank, it was not a struggle in the slightest. He handed it to me, I I put my normal (new) swing on it, and bang, there were the numbers. Felt a teensy bit different from moving the weights, but that's about it. I really like this driver, so I plan on gaming it for a good long while.

I should have clarified - I was more meaning the lessons you are going with and the changes that they will bring

Glad to hear the driver changes have made a nice instant difference for you

Listening your pro rather than guys on the internet? Very wise decision.

Dave
To be fair I play with him often and once stayed at a Holiday Inn Express

Just finished nine holes at our local course. Haven’t played in three weeks, still a newbie who has no idea what I’m doing, but managed to scramble for a 53. Had a chance for 50 but hit my second shot in the water on the last hole and carded a 7:(

Just six weeks or so until lessons begin!

Shot a 98 today, still under 100, but very underwhelming performance. My driver was MIA, but my chipping was extremely good. Putting, so so. Iron work. so so. 4 pars again, but man that driver is killing me.

To be fair I play with him often and once stayed at a Holiday Inn Express
I think your own admission of playing with Hammy often pretty automatically disqualifies you from an opinion. You’re obviously not a sane or rational person. :ROFLMAO:

Glad to see you’ve got something cooking @Hamfist! I think you’re closer than you think you are.

In other news it’s a balmy 21° here this morning, so I suspect I may not make it to the course to work on my swing, but I saw some really good results on my last outing, starting to get this “rotation” thing to happen, and when I do, I’m really happy with what I’m seeing.

Just finished nine holes at our local course. Haven’t played in three weeks, still a newbie who has no idea what I’m doing, but managed to scramble for a 53. Had a chance for 50 but hit my second shot in the water on the last hole and carded a 7:(

Just six weeks or so until lessons begin!
Keep at it and you will be gold and remember to enjoy it and relax! :golf2:

I’m back home with 4 new holes and minus one gallbladder, so in a couple weeks I might be able to actually swing a club and post about playing golf for a change.

Played 3 rounds in the past 2 days. Each one my score improved. One thing about the under 100 crowd, it’s pretty easy (sort of) to shave strokes. Topped balls per round for me is atleast 5 shots that go no where. Yesterday I also had 3 shots off the toe of the club and went straight a cross the fairway. Getting greedy and mishitting a shot instead of laying up 3 shots.
All of this and I still hit 95, 94, and 89. To consolidate all of that I think it’s a lack of concentration on my part. Gonna try and approach each shot thinking a head instead of just that one shot.

I’m back home with 4 new holes and minus one gallbladder, so in a couple weeks I might be able to actually swing a club and post about playing golf for a change.
Damn glad you are good. Heal quick, spring meetup seems like a good first round

Back