Trying to Break 100

Shot a 98 today, still under 100, but very underwhelming performance. My driver was MIA, but my chipping was extremely good. Putting, so so. Iron work. so so. 4 pars again, but man that driver is killing me.
Take it out of the bag!

To be fair I play with him often and once stayed at a Holiday Inn Express
You will be shocked and amazed at my new golf skillz! Shocked! Amazed!

I should have clarified - I was more meaning the lessons you are going with and the changes that they will bring

Glad to hear the driver changes have made a nice instant difference for you
The swing changes aren’t really that much. Better posture, more hip movement have been the primary things. With the posture change, the hip rotation seems to be just a natural result. I’m still trying to figure out a trigger for the start of the swing, but it will come.

I’m back home with 4 new holes and minus one gallbladder, so in a couple weeks I might be able to actually swing a club and post about playing golf for a change.
You don’t need no steenking gall bladder! Glad you are feeling better.

So, did a chipping-only lesson today, as a result of slightly tearing either my bicep or bicep tendon. (Big bruise, but not a lot of pain after the initial injury.) Teacher said my current set up and swing were 90% of where he’d like me to be. Made some minute changes, and had me just work on a smooth swing. So that’s one thing I don’t have to fret over.

So, did a chipping-only lesson today, as a result of slightly tearing either my bicep or bicep tendon. (Big bruise, but not a lot of pain after the initial injury.) Teacher said my current set up and swing were 90% of where he’d like me to be. Made some minute changes, and had me just work on a smooth swing. So that’s one thing I don’t have to fret over.

That's nice to know. Chipping is a huge stumbling block for a whole lot of players. Probably more bad technique displayed there than any other aspect of the game - at least it seems that way sometimes.

Close enough to 100 that I am posting here sue me.

Shot 38 - 50 =88 with 3 birdies and 14 white claws

I got a 99 last time out and could have easily been low 90s if I could have minimized a few fat irons, 1 in the drink, 2 duffed chips, and some 3 putts.

Lol!! I love seeing you taking your off-season training seriously. #eyeofthetiger

That's nice to know. Chipping is a huge stumbling block for a whole lot of players. Probably more bad technique displayed there than any other aspect of the game - at least it seems that way sometimes.
I'm using the Golf Sidekick set up for pitching/chipping, and it was almost identical to my instructors set up.

Looks like the White Claws caught up with you on the back nine.

I'm using the Golf Sidekick set up for pitching/chipping, and it was almost identical to my instructors set up.

I like his stuff. I'll be going with the Martin Chuck/Tour Striker technique, which also seems to be what Clay Ballard is showing (heck, a lot of people have essentially the same way but just different ways to describe it & teach it).

It would be a blast to play with Golf Sidekick guy, just so I can say "Like a Baus!" And have cute female caddies.

I like his stuff. I'll be going with the Martin Chuck/Tour Striker technique, which also seems to be what Clay Ballard is showing (heck, a lot of people have essentially the same way but just different ways to describe it & teach it).

It would be a blast to play with Golf Sidekick guy, just so I can say "Like a Baus!" And have cute female caddies.
Waddaplaya, waddagame, waddalife! :D

If everything goes according to plan, in November, I will also be playing in Thailand with cute caddies.

Popping in to say Hi to all!
Been awhile since I posted in this thread.
Haven't played all that much lately. Few rounds in the mid 90's and one at 103. :dohanim:
Driver and putting took a break the last several rounds. :ROFLMAO:

Hope all is well with everybody. ?

Checking in post-hiatus.

Squeaked out a 94 last week but playing a much more difficult course tomorrow.
Feeling good about recent improvements, but I'll need everything I've got to break 100 at this place.

Hope everyone is hanging in there.

No improvement in my playing to speak of, but I did have a good range session today. If I hit my ball when it counts as well as I do on the range I would be in the “Trying to break 80” group.

I try to use the winter months to really work on my game, since we are fortunate to have year-round golf. But I have been kind of stuck since the holidays. Hopefully as it starts warming up so will my game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If everything goes according to plan, in November, I will also be playing in Thailand with cute caddies.
Do tell! Will we see a youtube video? Golf Sidekick with Hamfist?

So I was watching a Clay Ballard video (not on youtube so I can't post it) about why you top your 3W. Which I have been known to do. Multiple times.

And one of his main points: most people have the ball wayyyy to far forward in their setup with their woods. He said if his wedge is roughly center of stance, his 3W is only 1 ball diameter forward of this. That sounded 180* different from my setup, which is closer to driver. Which...would explain why I top the ball so much!:unsure:

He discussed how most of us have heard "ball forward in stance for 3W" but you are in fact still hitting down slightly on ball, so now I'm dying to try this out! Could it be this simple? Maybe that's why hybrids & I don't get a long? Once I get a chance to try this out I'll report back. Gonna be at least 2 more weeks though.

Here are stills of the ball position Clay is talking about. The orange line is essentially his wedge position:
Clay Ballard ball position 1.jpg
And his 3W position:
Clay Ballard ball position 2.jpgClay Ballard ball position 3.jpg

I know I have to be a good 2-3" forward of that if I had to guess.

I hope they’re all Steelers fans. :mad:?

I doubt I’ll get to play this weekend, but got some golf lined up for next week.

Because you are trying to hit a 3w off the deck.?

So I was watching a Clay Ballard video (not on youtube so I can't post it) about why you top your 3W. Which I have been known to do. Multiple times.

And one of his main points: most people have the ball wayyyy to far forward in their setup with their woods. He said if his wedge is roughly center of stance, his 3W is only 1 ball diameter forward of this. That sounded 180* different from my setup, which is closer to driver. Which...would explain why I top the ball so much!:unsure:

He discussed how most of us have heard "ball forward in stance for 3W" but you are in fact still hitting down slightly on ball, so now I'm dying to try this out! Could it be this simple? Maybe that's why hybrids & I don't get a long? Once I get a chance to try this out I'll report back. Gonna be at least 2 more weeks though.

I remember a blurb/tip in golf digest on this recently that basically distilled it down to "play/set-up your 3W like your 7 iron, not like your driver."

Since attempting to employ that tip, I can say it has helped my contact with the 3W.

I wish it were as simple as ball position for me, but my problem is not ball position. I think ball position is an issue for a lot of folks though. I see some people hitting drivers with the ball in front of their left toe and don't even realize it and not much different for their woods and hybrids.

Back