Trying to Break 100

What is this "good round" of which you speak?

I wouldn’t know. My good rounds usually fall apart around my second shot on the first hole

Don't be flopists!!

Floppers gonna flop.

Play the way that makes you happy :)

Dave
Lol! I really don't try them all that often, usually when there's no other choice. I've pulled it off a few times, haven't pulled it off others. Trying to do the best nowadays to give myself no short-siders at all. Stress-free golf, and such.

I hit a couple flops yesterday. The first one landed in the bunker I was trying to fly over. Bunkers are GUR right now, so I got to retry it. 2nd attempt made it. You have to power through them and I had the club face a little too flat on the first attempt. But conditions have to be perfect to use them. I won't try them if the ground under is hard or if my back is getting sore.

When the driving range was open to people not warming up to play a round and for practice, I used to practice flop shots off the mat. You never know when you'll have to hit over a bunker and you're short sided.

I hit a couple flops yesterday. The first one landed in the bunker I was trying to fly over. Bunkers are GUR right now, so I got to retry it. 2nd attempt made it. You have to power through them and I had the club face a little too flat on the first attempt. But conditions have to be perfect to use them. I won't try them if the ground under is hard or if my back is getting sore.

When the driving range was open to people not warming up to play a round and for practice, I used to practice flop shots off the mat. You never know when you'll have to hit over a bunker and you're short sided.
Isn't it amazing how that 2nd shot usually is what you wanted the first time.

Isn't it amazing how that 2nd shot usually is what you wanted the first time.
There has to be some explanation for this phenomenon!!

Lol. Yeah, that's usually the "Well, here goes nothin'." shot.

There has to be some explanation for this phenomenon!!

You figured out what you didn't do right the first time. My first error was too flat a club face and didn't get enough club on the ball.

But in all fairness I did motion my playing partners to move out of the way in case I skulled it - because it would have been a rocket. :ROFLMAO:

That's a big ol' logo, there.

That’s not the regular logo. It’s their “Memorial Day” red, white and blue logo. The regular logo is on the other side.

7a4c5573dcab113ef81a3a4cf7a79651.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've taken another step toward making my equipment more forgiving. (Gear geek-out warning: proceed with caution)

I've been playing an older set of "players cavity-back" irons for a few years and since I've finally gotten somewhat serious about my improvement I'm transitioning away from those.

I found a set of JPX EZ Forged clubheads (6i-GW) on eBay a while back and recently added shafts to the PW and GW and put them in play. Took a while to get used to the larger sole and the lightweight T.T. x95 shafts I chose for high trajectory. But they are growing on me. I have noticed that these shafts really don't respond well to a higher swing speed.
i.e - If I need to give it something extra to get it to the green when between clubs, I must club up instead of hitting it harder. No biggie, but maybe this isn't the perfect shaft for me. I'd like to have both options available.
So - with that in mind I'm moving further down the irons and I've ordered a couple of Nippon 8950GH shafts for the 8 and 9 irons.
This shaft is a bit stiffer than the x95 but still very light at 103 grams - and still boasts the high trajectory I prefer in 8 iron down through the wedges.

Anyway, here I go, swallowing my pride and entering the world of the game improvement iron.
Fingers crossed...

Happy to post a 45/50/95 today. Really hit my irons well and it probably should have been better but I faltered the last 3 holes with a double, triple (the only on all day!), double bogey. I only lost one ball all day (17) and had only two penalty strokes (16 and 17). I was really close to breaking 90 and it was a great feeling.

I've taken another step toward making my equipment more forgiving. (Gear geek-out warning: proceed with caution)

I've been playing an older set of "players cavity-back" irons for a few years and since I've finally gotten somewhat serious about my improvement I'm transitioning away from those.

I found a set of JPX EZ Forged clubheads (6i-GW) on eBay a while back and recently added shafts to the PW and GW and put them in play. Took a while to get used to the larger sole and the lightweight T.T. x95 shafts I chose for high trajectory. But they are growing on me. I have noticed that these shafts really don't respond well to a higher swing speed.
i.e - If I need to give it something extra to get it to the green when between clubs, I must club up instead of hitting it harder. No biggie, but maybe this isn't the perfect shaft for me. I'd like to have both options available.
So - with that in mind I'm moving further down the irons and I've ordered a couple of Nippon 8950GH shafts for the 8 and 9 irons.
This shaft is a bit stiffer than the x95 but still very light at 103 grams - and still boasts the high trajectory I prefer in 8 iron down through the wedges.

Anyway, here I go, swallowing my pride and entering the world of the game improvement iron.
Fingers crossed...
If you have a better tool for the job.....

Happy to post a 45/50/95 today. Really hit my irons well and it probably should have been better but I faltered the last 3 holes with a double, triple (the only on all day!), double bogey. I only lost one ball all day (17) and had only two penalty strokes (16 and 17). I was really close to breaking 90 and it was a great feeling.
Soooooo cloooose. Kudos to you! Keep plugging away and you’ll get there, I am confident.

Soooooo cloooose. Kudos to you! Keep plugging away and you’ll get there, I am confident.
Thanks, I'm pretty stoked. I've been fighting my irons for a looong time. Generally, I just can't even get them airborne.

Today, I hit one really bad iron shot (shanked). The rest were a mix of really good to "almost there". Here are two examples of shots that I never make.

#1 - I've been struggling with my usually reliable driver. I slice my drive on the first hole into the rough and left a pretty long approach of nearly 180 yards. I figured I'd hit the 4i and hopefully get it close. I smoked the damn thing straight and ended up on the green. Of course, I three putted it. :banghead:

#2 - A fairly short hole on #13 and I again sliced it badly and was 170+ yards out with the ball sitting down in some thick clover. Pulled the 4i again and put it on the front of the green. I got it down in two for the par this time.

Sorry for rambling, but i'm really pumped.

Thanks, I'm pretty stoked. I've been fighting my irons for a looong time. Generally, I just can't even get them airborne.

Today, I hit one really bad iron shot (shanked). The rest were a mix of really good to "almost there". Here are two examples of shots that I never make.

#1 - I've been struggling with my usually reliable driver. I slice my drive on the first hole into the rough and left a pretty long approach of nearly 180 yards. I figured I'd hit the 4i and hopefully get it close. I smoked the damn thing straight and ended up on the green. Of course, I three putted it. :banghead:

#2 - A fairly short hole on #13 and I again sliced it badly and was 170+ yards out with the ball sitting down in some thick clover. Pulled the 4i again and put it on the front of the green. I got it down in two for the par this time.

As you should be! A 170 4-iron out of the rough is a damn fine shot!

Today’s round was 30% brilliant, 30% ok, and 30% abysmal. Pretty standard stuff. The driver is doing well, averaging about 180, according to Shot Scope,with 46% FIR.

The putter, after another shortening, is solid, feeling good about it.

The One Length hybrids are out of the bag for now, back to a 4-SW iron set. Can’t get a feel for them.

Irons are solid. Short, but going where I want them.

I am still super-sexy and irresistible to women.

You should be that's what this is all about.

was soooo close to breaking 90 today. my 3W is just working really well....granted it's much shorter than a standard 3W but it swings and feels fantastic on contact. lengthwise, it might be an inch and some change longer than my 3H...

Today’s round was 30% brilliant, 30% ok, and 30% abysmal. Pretty standard stuff. The driver is doing well, averaging about 180, according to Shot Scope,with 46% FIR.

The putter, after another shortening, is solid, feeling good about it.

The One Length hybrids are out of the bag for now, back to a 4-SW iron set. Can’t get a feel for them.

Irons are solid. Short, but going where I want them.

I am still super-sexy and irresistible to women.

Hammy,

I'm not an equipment pusher by any means, but I think you may be a person who would benefit from an equipment change in your long clubs. Even something older like the G25/G30 or equivalent hybrid with a standard shaft length and easy launch profile could potentially help you tremendously.

I bought some 816 H1s because they are super cheap, somewhat modern, and look nice. They are what I use, but I don't think it launches with quite as much ease as the G25 though.

Dave

Don't be flopists!!
Floppers gonna flop.

Play the way that makes you happy :)

Dave

Interesting topic and opinions. I'm going to bring the 60° today and try to video a situation using both options.

I'm somewhat of a data-driven person whenever possible. Below are my strokes gained numbers. The short game has always been a weak point, probably because I don't practice it enough. Being weak in that area could be an argument both for and against trying to learn a difficult shot. I generally use the lower risk, lower reward philosophy to try and eliminate blow up holes.

Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 6.56.53 AM.png

Played inconsistent 55/52: 107 today. Again, driver was the highlight although I took one penalty and missed fairways couple of times. Steady bogey golf and mixed set of 9-10 shots on par 4s. Putting was to worst, 43 putts total. Missed several 3 footers that should've been easy par/bogey. Me and my regular playing partner were teamed up with a previously unknown couple, we had great time and lot of laughs. And summer is here, steady sunshine and 20C (68F) throughout the round. Wind gave us a great excuse for mishits.

49/48 97 (27.1 diff). Not much to say... just my normal crappy golf. The course was in bad shape with the rough longer and wetter than I've seen it maybe ever. This after bragging on THP about how nice the course is.

On the 2nd time through, there was a walker keeping up with me so I didn't spend much time looking for balls that I knew to be in the rough. I'd just take a drop without a penalty. Not by the rules, I know, but I had to keep pace. Overall, I had two legitimately lost balls in the water or woods.

Started taking video of a chip vs flop but quickly stopped doing that. The fact is, I suck at both. The root cause of the high scores is an inability to hit a green in regulation. I have to get better at one or the other... or ideally, both.

On a positive note, I'm hitting those new Maltbys consistently longer than I hit my Mizunos. And that's including the shorter, in-between club shots.

Another 33/33/33 outing today. I’m playing better, but just not scoring. All is good.

Back