Trying to Break 100

I shot 74 on my local par 59 executive course today. However I walked it with my push cart, and now I feel like a guy who has been moving pianos all day. It was fun though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice scoring (y)

I am guessing you aren't used to walking? It is an easy way to build up some stamina, you might find that you tire towards the end of the round to start with but it gets easier every time

After so many posted about struggles with 3W and hybrids, I thought I'd re-post some responses from a thread about using an 11-wood. Desmond made some good points:

Just get the new TE EXS 220 Hybrid - it's almost as big as a fairway. I used a 9 wood several times for a few rounds. Always got rid of it. If you do it, I'd say get a heavier graphite shaft for more control/accuracy. I did 70-80g. My driver shaft is 53g.

If you do get one, shorten the length, and get a heavier than standard shaft to make up for loss in swingweight. Fairways are too long in terms of shaft length - go for consistency and accuracy. My best results with 9 wd were when I went this way. But I picked up speed and better technique and now use a 5i, tempted to go 4i. BUT if I were you, get a bigger headed hybrid - I think Tour Edge Exotics makes one of the better looking hybrids out there that is an almost fairway. Or look at Callawy BB Hybrids.

Might be worth trying.

After so many posted about struggles with 3W and hybrids, I thought I'd re-post some responses from a thread about using an 11-wood. Desmond made some good points:

Might be worth trying.

I just would not spend a lot of money on a 9 wd. Find an older model on callawaypreowned.com in a heavier shaft if you can find it, have them cut it down slightly or leave it alone and grip down, add lead tape, etc., and see what happens.

Last edited:
Instructor tweaked my irons a smidge, (cut another 1/2" off them/regrip to smaller than standard) but that's all I have. Shoulder feels like it is getting a bit better, but still haven't really been able to hit balls. Heading to the dome tomorrow, to hit some, feel out the shoulder and get used to the new length. I slack when It comes to just dry swinging in the house. My brother gate-crashed my lesson last Sunday, and he might start with my instructor as well.

...Desmond made some good points:
Might be worth trying.

i’ll attest to the bb19 hybrid...bigger head. Forgiving. Straight.

Most people that I know hit 7 thru PW decent. I can not think of an advantage to a 9HB. I do find 3 thru 5 particularly helpful in HB for my game, except I use a 3 FW, the rest HB.

Nice scoring (y)

I am guessing you aren't used to walking? It is an easy way to build up some stamina, you might find that you tire towards the end of the round to start with but it gets easier every time

Even though I bought the cart so that I WOULD walk more my rewards membership at my local 9 gave me $10 for a round WITH cart last year. So I pretty much rode exclusively for the latter half of last year. I want to walk more this year so I gave it a shot. But I haven't walked 18 in a long time. So yeah, it'll take me a while to get back that stamina.

I have a cart but have only used it a few times... I prefer to carry...i do like my cart, tho.

I have a cart but have only used it a few times... I prefer to carry...i do like my cart, tho.
I have carried a bit more but only because my course implemented a carry or winter wheels policy, and seeing as we didn't have winter wheels at the time I carried

Previous back issues meant I didn't do it previously but during the normal season I have my trolley to push (or electric one now if Jen isn't using it)

I have carried a bit more but only because my course implemented a carry or winter wheels policy, and seeing as we didn't have winter wheels at the time I carried

Previous back issues meant I didn't do it previously but during the normal season I have my trolley to push (or electric one now if Jen isn't using it)

I didn't think I'd like carrying but I do...i wish my bag had a chest strap but even without it, it's not bad at all... Even easier when I go to 9 clubs... The last few times I've carried, I've had 12.

No way my back, knees or feet would allow me to walk AND carry my bag. Not to mention I’d be so exhausted by the 10th hole the wheels would fall off my round for sure.

I don’t carry because I’m lazy. I will walk with a cart.

Is it April yet?

No way my back, knees or feet would allow me to walk AND carry my bag. Not to mention I’d be so exhausted by the 10th hole the wheels would fall off my round for sure.

Look at it as a long term plan to get fitter, meaning that when you ride you are even fresher towards the end of the round and can knock in those birdies for a nice score :D

I keep seeing this thread and it haunts me :eek:

Breaking 100 seems such a struggle and yet for me, I know the few things that would make the difference in my game, yet sometimes they seem so far away. Getting ready to start a much more focused practice by working on those things to keep me below 100. I keep having those games that stay slightly on the plus side of 100.

Getting fit for irons Thursday at CC, yet I am not sure how much that will help, because my iron game is not too bad. I am getting better accuracy and distance now. I know my dispersion needs some work, but for a weekend hack it isn't so bad.

I keep seeing this thread and it haunts me :eek:

Breaking 100 seems such a struggle and yet for me, I know the few things that would make the difference in my game, yet sometimes they seem so far away. Getting ready to start a much more focused practice by working on those things to keep me below 100. I keep having those games that stay slightly on the plus side of 100.

Getting fit for irons Thursday at CC, yet I am not sure how much that will help, because my iron game is not too bad. I am getting better accuracy and distance now. I know my dispersion needs some work, but for a weekend hack it isn't so bad.
Out of curiosity, what are those things? Fwiw, I’m confident 2020 is the year. As long as you put in the effort and play from the appropriate tees I think it will be a given for you!

Here are some things that come to mind:
1. Keeping my stance and pre-shot solid throughout my game, especially on the back 9s. when I am tiring more When I do this, my game is so much better.
2. Wedge game - I need to chip closer to pin. I am too dispersed causing harder putts which result in higher scores. I was doing better toward the end of last year with my chipping, but since I bought my new Vokey wedges late in the year, I am struggling a little and I know it is because I have not gotten comfortable with them. I haven't been able to practice with them that much which is crucial.
3. Straighten up this new driver some - I am hitting straighter and longer than I ever have, but on some holes I am out of alignment either left or right for some odd reason and not a slice or hook, simply out of line.
4. Putting - Take more time on the green and DO NOT rush my putts. When I take a bit more time just relaxing (not putting more thoughts in my mind, just a more relaxed rhythm and tempo that produces better results). My putting is not bad for a high capper - just needs a little work.
5. Stabilize swing speed and know my yardages better. I am not really dialed in on this yet.
6. Better course strategy and minimize risky shots. I am getting better at both of these. I even played three safeties yesterday, which I normally would not have done and they resulted in a better outcome.
7. Pure as possible ball striking - minimize bad strikes

Shot a 100 Friday, which is very close to breaking 100. Was leading my playing partner heading onto 18 when I realized he could win if I shot 5 strokes worse than him. Shot a snowman. I guess I psyched my self out. I could easily have broken 100 with a better last hole. Oh well, still fun while getting better. Oh, hit one shot 265 yards with roll, then crapped the remaining shots on that hole. :mad:

Is it April yet?

No, but pitchers and catchers report in about a week or so. So it may as well be!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tough to stay active here since I can't play & there's 4" of snow coming down:cry:, but I thought I'd throw this out there...

I have always fought an out-to-in swing path, which cuts across the ball and generally results in a slice (especially on the driver). I've improved a lot over the years, and I probably hit more hooks than slices now, but I think I still have that trend of the club head path going left at impact.

One "fix" I tried was to drop my trail foot back away from the target line a bit to help close my setup. This kind of worked, but I wasn't consistent.

I just watched this Clay Ballard video that got me thinking & I'm dying to try this on the range & the course!

Interesting to me was Clay talking about "turn hips to the right a little, or close your hips" (starts at 3:40). Might work a lot better than dropping my whole leg back.

Also: it was very educational to see how much distance is lost by hitting the ball with that glancing blow:
214 yard carry with 117 mph swing speed & 16.8* left path (and -7* angle of attack, so your classic steep, over the top slice swing - but with a really high swing speed)

Setting up with hips closed & tilted back at address:
304 carry with 119 swing speed & 3.9* right path (also +3 angle of attack, which certainly makes a big difference too)

I know when I do occasionally hit slightly up (+ AOA) with driver, and my path is neutral or slightly to the right (and I actually hit the sweet spot:ROFLMAO:), I do probably hit it close to 40 yards farther. I just can't do this consistently. I'm thinking this little tidbit of info might help with that consistency.

Stick to it, guys ... I’m sure you will break 100 soon. I thought I never would, but I finally did and now my best is 93. I was pleased with that, although I know that a large proportion of the guys on here would be suicidal if they shot a 93 ??. The problem is that, once you have broken 100, you just join the “trying to break 90” club instead!

I still got nothin’.

Played 9 holes on Friday and pared 5 of the 9 including all par 4 holes. A little under the weather or I would have played 18. Still waiting on Fedex to deliver my wifes new Launcher HB Turbo irons. Suppose to be here Friday but now it is Sunday and it still says No Update Available. They really have gone down hill with the last two deliveries. I think I am done with Fedex.

Back