Trying to Break 100

Broke 100 again and got a 92 on a challenging course. Pretty happy with that. Had 3 birdie chances, but only was able to get one of them for birdie.

Checking out the scorecards saved in the app I've been using and there are 6 rounds of golf played over the last two months.
The scores are not all that pleasing to ponder, BUT when I look at the "out" and "in" scores there have been 5 different nine hole stretches that scored right at 50 or lower. Including an encouraging 45 at one of the shorter courses.

I'm going to try to focus on this as proof I can begin breaking 100 more consistently instead of just occasionally.

It's not an easy game.
When I first broke 100 as a kid, I did it leaving my driver and long irons in the bag.

The driver was usually the beginning of nuclear holes while a four wood worked perfectly fine (or at least fine more often).

The ugly line drives that I at that time hit with long irons didn't go any further than better looking middle iron shots.

And I learned that speed was more important than line with long putts.

Eventually, it starts to come together. Then you have the confidence to work on the various phases of the game as you need to.

But it sure is a hard game. Good thing it's fun.

Finally broke 100 again. The weather cooperated and the fairways weren't mud. 54-45, two completely different nines. Couldn't hit near a green on the front, then started making putts on the back. Just good enough to make me come back and try again.

The weather has temporarily cleared, so off to the range. Probably a little too slooshy for a round.

shot a 51 on the front 9...the last 4 holes just cratered...played 5 holes on the back 9 (waaaaay too crowded) and was +3 when I finished that 5...I was playing the ball back in my stance for my driver (since it seemed to help with my snap hooks) and it seems to work better...

Went out to play in the wind again today. A little better than last time but not by much. Last time out in the wind I shot a 97. Today was a 94. :rolleyes:
1 par, 2 birdies, 8 bogies, 4 doubles, 3 triples, 36 putts (again). Birdies went up, pars went down, bogies went up, doubles went down, triples went up. 2 shots OB on my nemesis hole (no local rule here for the distance drop :cry:). I finally got one in play hitting 5 from the box and hit a great approach shot and 1 putt for the 7 :mad:.

I bought a weight kit for my driver last week and it showed up on Thursday. I had my driver cut down 1" when I bought it from CPO but they didn't add a heavier weight in there to balance out the loss of swing weight. I've been playing the original 8g weight in there for quite a while and I just figured that I would figure it out and play it a little lighter. Well, that hasn't been working. I swapped the 8g weight this morning to a 21g weight and it's made a world of difference. I can actually feel the clubhead in my swing, now. I don't feel that I need to manipulate the clubhead as much anymore and I'm seeing some positive results. I'm still having trouble breaking some old habits from playing with the lighter clubhead but when I trust it and just release I got some very good results today. I wouldn't say the driver swing is "set" but after one round I'm extremely encouraged.

Shot of the day was a 7i to a 171 yard par 3. The ball hit about a yard short of the green, bounced up, hit the pin and bounced back about two feet. It would have been my luck to get my first HIO without a witness. 20200315_141058.jpg
Oh well, hoping for better next week.

Went out to play in the wind again today. A little better than last time but not by much. Last time out in the wind I shot a 97. Today was a 94. :rolleyes:
1 par, 2 birdies, 8 bogies, 4 doubles, 3 triples, 36 putts (again). Birdies went up, pars went down, bogies went up, doubles went down, triples went up. 2 shots OB on my nemesis hole (no local rule here for the distance drop :cry:). I finally got one in play hitting 5 from the box and hit a great approach shot and 1 putt for the 7 :mad:.

I bought a weight kit for my driver last week and it showed up on Thursday. I had my driver cut down 1" when I bought it from CPO but they didn't add a heavier weight in there to balance out the loss of swing weight. I've been playing the original 8g weight in there for quite a while and I just figured that I would figure it out and play it a little lighter. Well, that hasn't been working. I swapped the 8g weight this morning to a 21g weight and it's made a world of difference. I can actually feel the clubhead in my swing, now. I don't feel that I need to manipulate the clubhead as much anymore and I'm seeing some positive results. I'm still having trouble breaking some old habits from playing with the lighter clubhead but when I trust it and just release I got some very good results today. I wouldn't say the driver swing is "set" but after one round I'm extremely encouraged.

Shot of the day was a 7i to a 171 yard par 3. The ball hit about a yard short of the green, bounced up, hit the pin and bounced back about two feet. It would have been my luck to get my first HIO without a witness. View attachment 8931916

visit me in the Trying to Break 90 Club. It’s quite over there.

I shot my best score to date on my local 9. 33 on a par 29. Everything was working for once. Nice feeling. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Set to play 18 tomorrow on a pretty nice local track. Hoping they have grown in their greens a bit since last time I played there as it was like putting on glass back in January.

Looks like I'll be relegated to playing only the best bargains available from the various tee time discount sites for a while.
This pandemic preparedness situation has cleared 90% of my scheduled work/income from the calendar through early May.
As a self employed musician, I basically just have to eat the loss :(

I'll circle back with a gofundme link to help support my golfing and tequila habits during this difficult time.
🙃 J/K - I'll be OK.

Played a totally forgettable 9 yesterday. I hit most of my drives really low - no more than 10 feet off the ground. Last hole I figured maybe I have the ball too far back in my stance. Finally hit a decent drive, but ended up with an awesome 58. I need to get back into shape and regain more flexibility
I find this a constant battle. With my new swing/stance, it's getting a bit better, but it's definitely a constant bugaboo. And it only takes a leeeeeetle adjustment most of the time. Of which, I overdo and screw things up worse, lol.

Shot of the day was a 7i to a 171 yard par 3. The ball hit about a yard short of the green, bounced up, hit the pin and bounced back about two feet. It would have been my luck to get my first HIO without a witness. View attachment 8931916
Amazing what a little tweak can accomplish! Now, either throw away the wrench for the weights, or super glue them in there and forget about them.

Played 18 yesterday - in the current weather conditions, seems like we've been spoilt by our local linksy course - it's drainage is bordering on the sorcerous, and it's greens are right up there with the best I've ever played.

Unfortunately we didn't play there yesterday. Welcome to Bogsville, population: Us. Scored pretty well considering...shot 43+46=89 (par 73), so hit my hcap. Not my greatest ball striking day, not my worst, but definitely one of my better course and weather management days. Playing sensibly and to the prevailing conditions saved my rump more than once, so managing my expectations and being realistic really showed its value.

Last edited:
Played 18 yesterday - in the current weather conditions, seems like we've been spoilt by our local linksy course - it's drainage is bordering on the sorcerous, and it's greens are right up there with the best I've ever played.

Unfortunately we didn't play there yesterday. Welcome to Bogsville, population: Us. Scored pretty well considering...shot 43+46=89 (par 73), so hit my hcap. Not my greatest ball striking day, not my worst, but definitely one of my better course and weather management days. Playing sensibly and to the prevailing conditions saved my rump more than once, so managing my expectations and being realistic really showed its value.
Were you playing like Old Man Pat from the Golfmates channel?

Little swing update. As I try to get more hip rotation into the swing, I notice I'm becoming more active with the lower body. (think Bobby Jones) Seems to be doing OK, and my lower back hurts a lot less. I had read an article somewhere about how the guys who had lots of leg movement were still playing into their seventies, where people who use the more modern swing are having back issues at 30. Seems to make sense.

Little swing update. As I try to get more hip rotation into the swing, I notice I'm becoming more active with the lower body. (think Bobby Jones) Seems to be doing OK, and my lower back hurts a lot less. I had read an article somewhere about how the guys who had lots of leg movement were still playing into their seventies, where people who use the more modern swing are having back issues at 30. Seems to make sense.

This is certainly inline with a convo I had recently with a friend who is ten years older than me. (He's nearing 60) He's been focused on some swing thoughts involving his lower body and knee movements that he's very excited about.

Also - Based on how my lower back feels the day after playing a round, I think there's likely something to the theory.

Man, I miss playing. Winter can kiss my butt.

Shot 49/49 for a 98...cratered a few holes but managed 4-5 pars...missed a few birdie opportunities 😑...but not losing balls (golf balls, that is) is always good.

Man, I miss playing. Winter can kiss my butt.
I was really hoping that the weather during this self-quarantine period was going to be nice, because I was planning to self quarantine on the golf course playing & practicing. Forecast doesn't look amenable to this goal.

I'm blaming the deep state. And Putin. Or Hilary.;)

I was really hoping that the weather during this self-quarantine period was going to be nice, because I was planning to self quarantine on the golf course playing & practicing. Forecast doesn't look amenable to this goal.

I'm blaming the deep state. And Putin. Or Hilary.;)
Thus, the hidden hand of the Illuminati/Trilateralists/Committe of 300 is made known.

As I continue skirting that 100 line on the scorecard (usually just on the high side) it would seem that I have two options available on the course:

Option A: Good off the tee, terrible around the greens
or
Option B: Terrible off the tee, good around the greens

Clearly the stars, planets, moons, and tides all must align for these elements to coincide positively.
So - do any of you consult a Zodiac calendar before setting a tee time? Have a number for a good astrologist?
All suggestions outside of animal sacrifice are welcome.

shot 47 over 9...drove well (hit 5 of 7 FW). made 3 of 7 greens in 2...with the other 4 being really close (underestimated the distance on 2 and was just off the green...other two were left of the green in the rough...all for easy chips (which I managed to not totally ass up...) what killed me was hitting into 2 water hazards on the rollout 😑, chunked a few irons...and hit a tree (me and those goddamned trees :mad:)

43+42=85 including one blob. Another good general ball-striking round, never followed a bad shot with a stupid - or even average - shot. Apart from the blob.

Wind hard off the left, so I sent my sliciest of Slicey McSliceman into the woods on the right, heard a big old "thunk", and I decided for speed to play 4 from where I went in. So I walked down, and my ball was right in the middle of the fairway, at least 45 yards from the start of the trees. "What a touch" I thought. And proceeded to hoik the next shot way OOB on the left, cutting through the wind that helped my slice go left.

I mean, really.

Last edited:
Back